Princess Alexia and Princess Ariane, News and Events Part 1 (Jan 2022 - present)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just like her sister, princess Alexia will take a gap year. She has many plans (travelling, working) but nothing is planned yet.

She explains she isn't ready to go back to 'school' just yet. She wants to wait to make that step, isn't ready yet to do so right now because she has had two 'very eventful years' (hele bewogen jaren) and therefore thinks that for her it is best to go back to herself for one year.

I wonder what she is referring two with 'two very eventful years' - probably her sister's situation has impacted her a lot as well, especially since she could only witness it from afar; and not provide the support she would want to.

Last edited:
Being away at boarding school would be the logical guess.

She was in Wales for 2 years. Thats a major shift in her life from her public role and life at home. Shifting back to life in the Netherlands now. Taking a pause to figure out where she wants her education path to go next.

:previous:

The Palace today shared a video of Princess Alexia raising the flag at Huis ten Bosch Palace following her successful graduation.

King Willem-Alexander has recorded the video. A similar video had been shared of Catharina Amalia after her graduation:

"The flag is flying at Huis ten Bosch Palace! Princess Alexia received her International Baccalaureate diploma at the United World College of the Atlantic on Thursday 6 July."

** twitter video ** instagram video **

Ariane resembles Princess Beatrix quite a lot.

The Academic year starts earlier than here in Ireland, which is normally runs from the second Monday in September to the second Friday in May.

Wishing the Princess the very best with her studies.

I'm puzzled as to how the "first day" can be Friday. Start of orientation period, maybe?

It doesn't say that it is her first day at school. The accompanying text states 'arrived in Italy'. So, I guess she will start next week but students were invited to arrive this weekend?!

The Academic year starts earlier than here in Ireland, which is normally runs from the second Monday in September to the second Friday in May.

Wishing the Princess the very best with her studies.

That's a really short year. Do students in secondary school have 4 months of summer holidays?

I know that the Netherlands (not applicable to UWI of course) has really short summer holidays (6 weeks) - but about 2 - 2 1/2 months seems quite common.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a really short year. Do students in secondary school have 4 months of summer holidays?

I know that the Netherlands (not applicable to UWI of course) has really short summer holidays (6 weeks) - but about 2 - 2 1/2 months seems quite common.

No secondary schools here finish mid June and return 1st Monday in September.
Mid Term falls around Halloween as we have a late October public holiday.
Christmas 2-3 weeks
Spring Mid Term 1 week
Easter -2 weeks

3rd level finish in mid May (College/University) and return in.mid September.
No mid Term but 3-4 weeks at Christmas (Mid December to mid January)
2 weeks for Easter.

The Academic year flies,hopefully Princess Ariane won't feel it till the Christmas holidays!

It doesn't say that it is her first day at school. The accompanying text states 'arrived in Italy'. So, I guess she will start next week but students were invited to arrive this weekend?!

This sounds like a "welcome weekend" for the incoming students. They can move in to their dormitories and have some time to get to know each other before classes begin.

This sounds like a "welcome weekend" for the incoming students. They can move in to their dormitories and have some time to get to know each other before classes begin.
Yes I thought so too and was the Student Induction ahead of the start of Semester one.

They might even have a 'welcome week' and only formally start on September 1?!

No secondary schools here finish mid June and return 1st Monday in September.
Mid Term falls around Halloween as we have a late October public holiday.
Christmas 2-3 weeks
Spring Mid Term 1 week
Easter -2 weeks

3rd level finish in mid May (College/University) and return in.mid September.
No mid Term but 3-4 weeks at Christmas (Mid December to mid January)
2 weeks for Easter.

The Academic year flies,hopefully Princess Ariane won't feel it till the Christmas holidays!
Thanks for the clarification, so tertiary education does have a very long summer break (like several other countries) but not secondary education. I still wonder why they only use 7 months of the year... and include 5 months of breaks (1 month around Christmas and 4 months in summer). They could easily reduce the number of years by using more months of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Dutch is a little rusty, is it a tugboat or is it one of those ships that suck sand up?

A less than glamorous existence in both cases, but nevertheless a busy and vital existence. So it's not something to feel ashamed about at all.

Even non-rusty speakers may need to blink twice before understanding what is meant ;) I had to look it up as well.

But it is the latter. I believe it is translated as Trailing Suction Hopper Dredger.

A lovely surprise to have the Princess do her own event. And quite unexpecteded.

:previous: I feel better. :lol:

Her first solo. That's always something to look forward to.

But the bad jokes are lining up! I really, really have to beat myself over the knuckles in order not to type them. ?

The dredger was commissioned and will be used by the Van Oord company, one of the larger Dutch family-owned companies operating internationally (it is one of the big players in the dredging world). This specific dredger is an improvement in terms of CO2 compared to regular/previous dredgers.

Very nice. I am looking forward to it!

Has the Princess of Oranje done a solo visit? I don't recall her ever doing one. Everything she has done so far has been in the company of her parents or family.

:previous: I feel better. :lol:

Her first solo. That's always something to look forward to.

But the bad jokes are lining up! I really, really have to beat myself over the knuckles in order not to type them. ?

So basically, one could say that in terms of solo events, or debuts, this... sucks?

(Sorry, Alexia. I'm sure your presence will be enlivening.)

So basically, one could say that in terms of solo events, or debuts, this... sucks?

(Sorry, Alexia. I'm sure your presence will be enlivening.)

Exactly, but at least she wont have to suck up to anyone. ?

I would say that having a dredger named for you is not the world's best attempt at sucking up, strangely enough.

Well, her work as a royal is starting at the bottom and she'll will just have to suck it up, I guess.

Often when royal women christen ships they receive a gift from the company that owns the ship. In the past some have even received tiaras. I wonder if Alexia will receive something of substance.

You are right about that, though in the Netherlands the gifts will be more modest than that. I remember seeing a diamond brooch that Pss Irene received in the late 50s after baptising a ship -though for the life of me I can not remember where I saw it.

Last edited:
Often when royal women christen ships they receive a gift from the company that owns the ship. In the past some have even received tiaras. I wonder if Alexia will receive something of substance.

An industrial vacuum cleaner?

Some sort of bling-bling we may hope. Presenting her with a model of the vessel may, no matter how well made it is, not find a place in an eighteen year old girl's room or apartment...

Princess Ariane apparently is visible in the pictures UWC Adriatic shared on Instagram of their introduction week. As I don't have an Instagram-account, I couldn't see them myself, but some others might be able to.

Back
Top Bottom