Princess Alexia and Princess Ariane, News and Events Part 1 (Jan 2022 - present)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since Ariane is a native Spanish speaker (and multilingual besides), it shouldn't be too difficult for her to pick up whatever Italian she wants or needs — but the program, like just about all UWC schools, is in English. https://www.uwcad.it/uwc-adriatic-college-profile

Last edited:
Princess Alexia with King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima at the UWC Atlantic College where the International Baccalaureate graduation ceremony is being held today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CseH-5ktMqu/

More precisely, it is the Leavers Celebration. The results of the exams will only be available in July, so only at that point in time the students know whether they truly graduated.

Congratulations to Princess Alexia! She looks effortlessly beautiful and love how the photo just looks like a very normal family in their daughter's graduation. Since the exam result won't be communicated until early July, I wonder if a photo of her hoisting her school bag along with the Dutch flag will be released just like Amalia did, or it will be just short press release that she got her diploma since the timing would be irrelevant.

Anyway, regarding to Ariane's school choice -- when applying for UWC, applicants should've applied for the movement itself, not for a specific school. Therefore, choosing which school to attend is not an option. However, when applying, they are allowed to list school preferences. It is up to the selection committee and the school itself whether or not to accept them based on slots available for each country (in Ariane's case, The Netherlands), scholarships availability (this certainly won't be her case), and if the school is a good fit for them (each UWC is different). For Ariane whom her parents could pay the full fee for every UWC school, I imagine it should be easier for her to get into her first choice though. If it is, her admission to the school should be supported by the committee's opinion that the school is indeed a good fit for her in one way or another. Whether she truly has artistic talents, has the passion of integrating herself into a whole culture in her day to day life, or simply a young woman who loves interactions (since the school is an open campus).

Along with the fact that she already speaks Spanish (and don't forget her current school also teaches Latin), UWC Adriatic requires its students to learn Italian, even if it means it had to be their 7th subject (instead of the usual 6) and admits a handful of Italians each year - so she should be good.

Cost of attendance would be around 46.000 Euros per year - about half of Alexia's school, the Atlantic College.

Last edited:
Remember the party pictures?

Sincere congratulations are due to Alexia for not having any kind of repeat; she got through the rest of UWC just fine. Hopefully she keeps it up as an adult.

Sounds like an idyllic place for teenagers, Royal or not…

Graduating from a UWC myself a couple of years ago, it's quite interesting to see the novelty surrounding this successive crop of royals attending the schools. And as for other queries about Ariane attending Adriatic, she'll definitely be fine not speaking Italian. The great majority of classes will be in English, that's how it is across the 'movement'. However, if I am not mistaken taking some form of Italian is required.

Will there be any festivities for Princess Alexia as she turn 18 next Monday?

Princess Alexia has been spotted at the open day of the University of Groningen on April 14th. A local news site speculates if the princess may pick this city to study.

https://www.sikkom.nl/actueel/Komt-...p-volgens-hardnekkige-geruchten-28444499.html

Princess Laurentien, Prince Maurits, Princess Marilene, PrinceBernhard and Princess Annette all studied at the University of Groningen.

That would be a great choice. I assume she would become a member of Vindicat (the Student Corps in Groningen) in that case. They've had their issues as well but no major recent ones that will deter her membership at the moment.

That would be a great choice. I assume she would become a member of Vindicat (the Student Corps in Groningen) in that case. They've had their issues as well but no major recent ones that will deter her membership at the moment.
I really hope she will NOT join Vindicat. They keep on messing up, in spite of repeated corrections. Best to stay well away from that.

To mark Princess Alexia's 18th birthday today, June 26, the Palace has released some new photos:

** instagram gallery ** twitter post **

At least she is consequent LOL
always staring like being so pissed of with everything. Rem8nds me of Victoria Beckham maybe Alexia tries to prevent rinkles.
Hope she starts a real job unlike her cousin.

Pity the background of the pics is so dark. The Princess has also been awarded the Order of the Lion of the Netherlands and the Order of the Lion of Nassau today.

Pity the background of the pics is so dark. The Princess has also been awarded the Order of the Lion of the Netherlands and the Order of the Lion of Nassau today.

A nice honour to the mark her 18th Birthday, not at all crazy about those photos and the background is too dark.

Not a fan of the photos. She looks passed like she has an age to grind with someone. It's a shame she doesn't look relaxed and smiling as she is a beautiful girl!

Not keen on the photos here either. She always looks slightly smug to me, which I’m sure she isn’t or doesn’t intend to be!

Am I the only one who finds her hairstyle quite old fashioned?

Sorry but it's one of the worst royal portrait I've ever seen.

I can't believe those photos received green light, she's 18 but looks like a middle-aged woman who had a lot of (bad) work done in those pictures.

Could the background be any darker!?

Last edited:
I saw these photos last night and did not comment. I do agree these are not very flattering photos at all. She looks like she is pouting and is ‘put out” that she had to have her photo taken. I remember other family pictures where it appeared she did not want to partake and she gave the same ‘unhappy look’. She is a very pretty young lady and is beautiful when she is happy and smiles. If she does not want to be part of the active Royal Family, then let her step back and become a private citizen. She is old enough to do this. Yes, she is behind her sister in ruling her country but she does not have to be. Forcing is not going to help. I rather see a happy photo when she wants to be public that is IF she wants it.

She's a pretty girl so a little smile wouldn't hurt.

The third photo is the most interesting IMO. It resembles a classical painting of a royal, some 3-500 years ago, with the dark hues being a nod to Dutch painters of the period.
I actually like it, it's different.

The photos look like they were taken in Dracula's castle, the dark background was probably intended not to distract but sadly they've missed the mark.
They could have used a painting of one of one of the many historic Orange Princesses as a back drop or one of the beautiful palace gardens.

Terrible photographs of an attractive young lady. I wonder why she and/or her parents approved them. And what is going on with her lower lip. She has very full lips to begin with …. No need for Botox at 18!

Thank you for the information. The mini royals are growing.
Not much favorite photos but I can see the style they were aiming for.

She's a pretty girl so a little smile wouldn't hurt.

The third photo is the most interesting IMO. It resembles a classical painting of a royal, some 3-500 years ago, with the dark hues being a nod to Dutch painters of the period.
I actually like it, it's different.

Muhler I totally agree with you. the pictures reminded me very much of the old Dutch Masters of the 17th century, in fact I was thinking of the famous painting of Vermeer "Girl with the pearl earring". Most of these portraits have this dark background which is highlighting the person.
Very old fashioned in comparison to all the glamour fotos , selfies and not what of our time.

Maybe Alexia herself decided to be pictured like that. After all that criticism about her posing and the videos from her friends at school which probably shouldn't have got into the public, she wanted to appear as a different person.

Being in the minority here, I do like these photos.

https://artsandculture.google.com/a...197499885882963,"height":1.2375000000000005}}

And unfortunately I couldn't find any document :sad:

Document about the orders.

According to Article 17 of the Reglement op de Orde van de Nederlandse Leeuw en de Orde van Oranje-Nassau, the royal decree (koninklijk besluit) will be published in the Staatscourant within a month.

It will look a lot like this one (for the princess of Orange): https://zoek.officielebekendmakingen.nl/stcrt-2021-49407.html

The other one is a shared order with Luxembourg - the king and grand duke are shared grand masters of the order. It uses slightly different language. This is not a royal decree (including government sign-off) but a 'Koninklijke beschikking' (royal provision?); I doubt it will be published.

Last edited:
I like the photos! I remember seeing Dutch paintings when I was in school, they were dark and "moody," but there's something about them that I really grabbed my attention as a student. Maybe this photo session was an homage to Dutch painters of the past?

Back
Top Bottom