Prince William Current Events 18: January-May 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that today's visit with the soldiers was a PR stunt but pure coincidence because don't they have that benefit next week to help these same soldiers? So it seems to me that they are getting ready for that. And I believe the boys, especially Harry since he was fighting with some of these men, are really concerned about getting assistance to these men.

i don't believe it was a PR stunt either, just that some people are suggesting it could be and that because of whats happened that specualtion is going to be more intense than it would usually.

Also can i say, again, that i know that William didnt simply "take" the helicopter and yes those who approved it or suggested it should be punished or apologise aswell, but they didn't make William do it, he could have thought about the repercussions and said no. Its not jsut his fault but he's also not blamless.

William is supposed to apologise for taking advantage. bad enough that this training programme has made him think he is a real RAF pilot but with these jolly jaunts he has lost the respect of many service personnel. he certainly seems to take after his uncle and with the recession, the last thing we need is another playboy.

I don't doubt that there are some service personnel with a chip on their shoulder about William's training (especially the person leaking details to the media). Perhaps some of the engineers are unhappy that he didn't choose to join them instead of learning to fly. I'm sure they all turned down the chance to be pilots!

i don't believe it was a PR stunt either, just that some people are suggesting it could be and that because of whats happened that specualtion is going to be more intense than it would usually.

Also can i say, again, that i know that William didnt simply "take" the helicopter and yes those who approved it or suggested it should be punished or apologise aswell, but they didn't make William do it, he could have thought about the repercussions and said no. Its not jsut his fault but he's also not blamless.

Yep, the repercussions are that the media misrepresented it as a joy ride and people lapped it up.

What is it that people are going to be punished or apologise for? Is it because William knew the people that owned the field that he landed in during his training? Does that 'look bad'?

You surely don't believe that PW just said "I know let's take a trip up to Berkshire and say hello to my girlfriend".

It sounds to me that you want him to apologise and for people to be punished because some of the public can't or won't understand what actually happened and prefer the simplistic media story instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
That whole flying incident must be a big deal because it was even on my local news! Which is so unusual because we never get royal news like that...I was like wow. LOL

That whole flying incident must be a big deal because it was even on my local news! Which is so unusual because we never get royal news like that...I was like wow. LOL

It's on the local news here in Los Angeles too, also national like The Today Show. I think it's overblown but I'd much rather hear about William than Britney Spears or Paris Hilton. God I am so sick of those two.

First, let me start off by saying that I do like William and Harry etc. etc. so please don't take this the wrong way.

However, I do not agree with William using the chopper to fly him to places of leisure. I think it is a little irresponsible of him. I understand the whole 'royal, must get best form of transportation, want to make a grand entrance etc. etc' and I also understand that this is his way of showing 'look here, I can fly' and all, but it's too much.

He's taking up the air space from more important flights. Maybe not by a whole lot, but think, the air traffic controllers have to make sure NOTHING is in harms way of him, and not b/c he's flying and all, but b/c he is a prince.

He's made better judgements, this is not one of his best ideas.

They really should do more engagements like this. If we are to believe that Royality is special, they should present themselves as special, no matter how much they wish they could be one of the crowd. They have only their being special to give to the world and that they should do. Give, not take, as they are presented with so much without asking for it.

They really should do more engagements like this. If we are to believe that Royality is special, they should present themselves as special, no matter how much they wish they could be one of the crowd. They have only their being special to give to the world and that they should do. Give, not take, as they are presented with so much without
asking for it.

These are my feelings EXACTLY Jo. They are "special" and all their whining and gnashing of teeth about wanting to be "normal" is eventually going to backfire on all the Royal houses if it hasn't already. Let's face it, most people want their Royals to have a human face, but they don't want people who are exactly just like them. Royalty today has lost so much of it's mystique that I will be surprised if any of them still have their thrones in about 20 years.

It seems as if Trader and Isana have both mentioned something that is being overlooked. Prince William didn't fly to Catherine's house for a jolly trip, he landed in their field and took off again. He was practicing a landing and a takeoff as a part of his helicopter training. He was given permission by the RAF beforehand to use the land to practice the landing and takeoff. The statement issued by the MOD said that all pilots who are in training practice takeoffs and landings in places away from the RAF base, it's a standard part of the training.

The only thing that makes this incident noteworthy is that William personally knew the owners of the land where he practiced the landing and the takeoff. The MOD statement said that there was a shortage of practice fields, and that whenever an approved place was available for practice they took advantage of it. The Middleton's property is 16 miles from the RAF base where Prince William is in training. Surely that made it an ideal place to practice a landing and takeoff?

I read that Prince William landed for 20 seconds and took off again. To me that sounds like a regular practice manouver and not something to do for fun.

If other pilots practice landing and taking off in fields, why shouldn't Prince William do the same?

It's on the local news here in Los Angeles too, also national like The Today Show. I think it's overblown but I'd much rather hear about William than Britney Spears or Paris Hilton. God I am so sick of those two.

I was just so surprised...it did seem to be a little much. I mean this is the most controversial thing about William I have ever seen on the US entertainment shows, although I see why people in the UK would be pissed off. But like I said, they just never show up on there, it is usually Britney in the entertainment update. :lol:

I am sory and please let me state that I have every people magazine about William and Harry and I love these "boys", but William showed very bad judgment on this subject. He isn't a child anymore and has to realize although he has been given a lot of lead way by the Queen and Prince Charles about assuming duties, he is still Heir to the throne. I personally think that if Diana was still alive, she would box William ears for doing something so flagrant when their country is suffering from a recession and there are real military men suffering for their country. I am sory but these boys have means, let them lease private transportation and go where they want too, no one would have said anything. I hope this isn't too much of an entitlement mentality. I remember a story where Diana corrected Harry for complaining about a drink he was served because it gave the wrong impression. I realize that William had to have permission to take the helicopter but really, are they going to say no to their future King and boss? If it was practice, he could of done that on not such a public occasion and then to follow it up with the Kate incident, it just shows very bad judgment. I just hope this is just a immature lapse and not a glance at the future.

How ironic The Sun that ran with the "I'm shocked" stories on the hellicopter trips now was gleeful to see William wearing one of their suppoort the troops bracelet just a few weeks go. At the end of the day, all parties are involved in PR stunts. William and Harry, and the Prince of Wales before them, are all drafted in a way to fly the flag for Britannia. What better way to fly the flag than to join the services. As some of the posts noted before, William is following the same routine his father went through, a quickie if you will, en route to kingship. The armed forces gets their PR value in this troubled times over their involvement in the Middle East. The Palace gets their value in promoting the princes' relevance to modern life. And the newspapers get their "value" by glad handing when it suits them and playing the judge/jury in turn. It's going to sound cynical but IMO, the princes' visit to the injured servicemen are also a PR stunt for the same reasons. It's not a negative comment, just a statement of fact. Each party, MOD/princes/tabloids, are using each other to further their causes.

I'm so confused right now as to how I feel about all this(I just read more articles on this incident) but I think William should atleast issue a statement not necessarily apologizing cause I don't feel it was fully his fault but just say something this just feels like it's getting pushed deeper and deeper each day without hearing a word from him.

ETA I'm confused who's defending William the MOD I know for sure has right but has the RAF defended his actions?

I just think not only should William learn from this but so should his instructors/advisors and whoever else approved of these incidents. I mean on one hand I feel like it wasn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be but on the other side I'm angry for some reason I don't know how I feel really as I've said I guess we should just wait and see how all this ends up.

Last edited:
This visit is a good idea. I only wonder if it had been planned far in advance or if this is only the response of Clarence Houses' PR people to the latest damaging stories.

It has emerged that Prince William sought permission from police and 26-year-old Miss Middleton's parents to put down on their land.... One military source added: "In theory any pilot could do this but it's basically because he's the Prince...... Officials are understood to be furious that the impression of special treatment afforded to the Prince has undermined the "good PR" his four-month RAF pilot attachment generated...... the average Joe is going to view it as an expensive taxi," one said yesterday. The RAF hierarchy look bloody stupid for attempting to explain it as anything other than that."

the fact remains that someone higher up on the military food chain than William allowed him to use the equipment as he did.
ETA I'm confused who's defending William the MOD I know for sure has right but has the RAF defended his actions?
The MOD is defending it's actions, the head of the RAF, Air Chief Marshal Sir Glenn Torpy is less than pleased and ordered an enquiry.
I don't doubt that there are some service personnel with a chip on their shoulder about William's training. Perhaps some of the engineers are unhappy that he didn't choose to join them instead of learning to fly. I'm sure they all turned down the chance to be pilots!
Strange attitude, are you seriously saying that it is all down to envy. :whistling: It doesn't sound as if you have much experience of how selection or recruitment is done in the RAF. Contrary to the belief system of some in the MOD, many men and women do not want to be Officers or Pilots. One son, who is a fully trained RAF pilot and some of his friends think Williams treatment is a p*sstake of all they had to do to gain their 'wings'.
It sounds to me that you want him to apologise and for people to be punished because some of the public can't or won't understand what actually happened and prefer the simplistic media story instead.
No, it is a case of not believing the utter rubbish being put out by the MOD to cover it's indulgence of William. Of the 1000's of fields ther RAF usually uses, on this particular day to practise landing and taking off, the only field that was available happened to be his girlfriends back garden? The only flight training available on the Chinook was on the weekend of his cousins stag party, that the only practise flight he could be fitted on, just happened to be scheduled to pick Harry up?
Yeah, right! :whistling::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I agree that his commanders and trainers definitely deserve at least 50% of the blame. Honestly those are trained soldiers who should know the rules much better than William. He asked them for permission to take these flights and, IMO, they should simply have said no if this this was indeed a "waste of resources". He isn`t their "future boss". He is in no position whatsoever to "harm" either of them if they don`t do as he pleases.
To me it looks like those sort of "joy rides" are much more common within the RAF than they would like to admit. How else would William even have come up with the idea to use his training flights like that? Surely someone must have left him with the impression that this was possible and not a big deal. I could very well see trainees regularly flying over family homes etc. to show off a little. And that`s all good and well since the route taken doesn`t really matter. What matters is the flying time each pilot uses. William was allocated his time on the Chinook and I think it`s unfair to now put the blame on him that the helicopter couldn`t be used else where or that he wasn`t fit to fly this particular helicopter. Even if he requested flying this thing, I see no reason why he could not simply have been denied the opportunity if those Chinook`s are indeed in such high demand. I`m sure he would have understood.
The RAF staff who planned his stint certainly messed up and this incident shows as much about their attitude towards the resources they have command over as about William`s. Maybe he should have known better but IMO the RAF commanders responsible for him certainly deserve a great part of the blame as well.

To me it looks like those sort of "joy rides" are much more common within the RAF than they would like to admit.
No, they are not common within the RAF, IME.

But you are right in that his OiC bears a lot of the blame for the decisions and the PR disaster these flights have become. The more the MOD tries to defend it, the more it will stay in the news.

Last edited:
This visit is a good idea. I only wonder if it had been planned far in advance or if this is only the response of Clarence Houses' PR people to the latest damaging stories.
I'm almost sure that it was announced they would be going around the 16th. The visit is in connection with The City Salute Appeal, which they are also attending. So before the info about Kate's parents property but after the news about the stag party.

I'm almost sure that it was announced they would be going around the 16th. The visit is in connection with The City Salute Appeal, which they are also attending. So before the info about Kate's parents property but after the news about the stag party.
Sadly, the stunts will remain in peoples memories for many years, long after they have forgotten that William visited Headley Court or was involved The City Salute Appeal.

:previous: That is very true and very sad but hopefully those they visited will always have positive memories of the day!

This is all getting far too boring now! We have heard lots of arguments and counter arguments as to whether Wills and his helicopter antics were appropriate, but I think it probably is time to move on!

Anybody read the HELLO article on Wills & Kate?

The MOD is defending it's actions, the head of the RAF, Air Chief Marshal Sir Glenn Torpy is less than pleased and ordered an enquiry.

Thanks.:flowers: This is soo messed up I can't beleive it. I swear all our channels here have been talking about it non-stop since news broke.

Last edited:
This is all getting far too boring now! We have heard lots of arguments and counter arguments as to whether Wills and his helicopter antics were appropriate, but I think it probably is time to move on!

Anybody read the HELLO article on Wills & Kate?

Hi Muriel-yeah I have read the Hello! article. It's their usual stuff. They are VERY pro-Kate, they bashed William for breaking up with her last year and even went so far as to suggest that Clarence House should finance a year abroad for Kate as compensation. Unbelievable.

Anyway, it's just more of the same stuff. It talks about how they are closer than ever, inseparable and speculating on how soon there will be an engagement.

Hi Muriel-yeah I have read the Hello! article. It's their usual stuff. They are VERY pro-Kate, they bashed William for breaking up with her last year and even went so far as to suggest that Clarence House should finance a year abroad for Kate as compensation. Unbelievable.

Anyway, it's just more of the same stuff. It talks about how they are closer than ever, inseparable and speculating on how soon there will be an engagement.
Speculating about the state of a relationship is always a good way to fill the pages, as we are all too aware. I do wish though, they would just stop going on endlesly about the state of the relationship - its obvious for all to see, and when the couple are ready (which I personally think will be in about 18-24 months), they will announce their engagement, or not, as the case may be! That said, in the inetrim Kate needs to be seen to be doing some useful with her time. The photography attachment with Testino is a good idea, but she really needs to stick this out for a while.

Speculating about the state of a relationship is always a good way to fill the pages, as we are all too aware. I do wish though, they would just stop going on endlesly about the state of the relationship - its obvious for all to see, and when the couple are ready (which I personally think will be in about 18-24 months), they will announce their engagement, or not, as the case may be! That said, in the inetrim Kate needs to be seen to be doing some useful with her time. The photography attachment with Testino is a good idea, but she really needs to stick this out for a while.

What happened to Kate's gig at Jigsaw, the fashion place...am I behind the times?

It doesn't sound as if you have much experience of how selection or recruitment is done in the RAF. Contrary to the belief system of some in the MOD, many men and women do not want to be Officers or Pilots. One son, who is a fully trained RAF pilot and some of his friends think Williams treatment is a p*sstake of all they had to do to gain their 'wings'.

Actually I have a pretty good experience of selection and recruitment into the RAF. And with all due respect to the son and his friends who have completed the full pilot training course, to get upset about the future King and Head of The Armed Forces being given a 'special' accelerated pilot training / experience course and 'wings' is IMO a pretty naive and unrealistic judgement.

Nobody is pretending that William is the equivalent of a fully trained RAF pilot and definitely nobody with any understanding of what real RAF pilots have to do so why all the bitterness?

There is no real news about Kate and William, but obviously stories about them sells magazines. So they do what they have to do: they print pictures and recycle stories. I get HELLO for the pics and light coverage on occasion, but I wouldn't consider it serious reading. :flowers:

There is no real news about Kate and William, but obviously stories about them sells magazines. So they do what they have to do: they print pictures and recycle stories. I get HELLO for the pics and light coverage on occasion, but I wouldn't consider it serious reading. :flowers:

I used to enjoy Hello! but not so much anymore. Unfortunately, like many entertainment mags they have gone too "Hollywood" and while I realize that it's because that it sells mags, I have no real interest in Hollywood actors and their lives. They also print too many articles about British starlets that are unknown here in America. One can still find the occasional good Royal article there however, and I'd much rather read about William and Kate than about some silly starlet.

The same has happened to Point de Vue. It has become The Carla Sarkozy Chronicle....just very frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom