Prince William and Catherine Middleton Current Events 8: November 2009-April 29, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She doesn´t need to show off her ring all the time.

Why can't she?

She can show her ring off anytime she wants. :whistling: She's a newly engaged woman- plus think of all the fuss the press would make if she was caught without it.

Of course she can show off her ring as much as she wants, but she doesn't need to. She can just wear it and not make a point of facing her hand towards the cameras.

She might not wear it at home. She might be terrified of losing the stone. She might find it catches on things, or that she knocks it on things. It is a big lump of a ring. She might only wear it when she goes out. I'm sure she will wear it when she goes out, at least at first, but she might surprise us and not wear it all the time. Wearing an engagement ring is not a legal obligation, just a tradition, and therefore a choice.

ooh it said St James Palace source and all this time I thought that article said St James Palace rep lmao boy I musta been tired that week!

Why can't she?

She can show her ring off anytime she wants. :whistling: She's a newly engaged woman...

In our family we have a running joke about how a newly engaged woman has to say (quite often)

"Oh gosh, it's so HOT in here, I'll have to take my RING off!!! [flashes ring ostentatiously]"

... It's only fair!!! ;)!!!:lol:

Last edited:
I see. My mistake. I thought they did a interview after tonight's cancer charity. :D
haha me too when I read it! I had to read it over about 5 times before I realized what it was actually saying!:flowers:

How lovely to see them together again! Although I admit I still have to get used to it.

As for her ring: she's just a happily engaged woman showing her status, big deal. Get over it.

:previous: Of course she flashed her ring! It was was their first public outing since the Engagement and, to be absolutely fair, that is what the people wanted to see. Not just William and Kate but Kate and "The Ring"!

As she was on William's right so she could be seen, it meant she couldn't hold his arm or hand because he has to shake hands with his right and so she had to wing it and I think she did a great job. The couple of occasions when she had fallen a little behind him he put his arm around her and moved her up beside him was really warm and sweet.

I'm surprised to see her, and she has every right to flash her ring.

My remark was actually more directed at the people who complain that she shows it off too much. I fully disagree with that.
I say: why shouldn't she show it off? She's happy, must she keep that under wraps? No, she must not. Let the sunshine in! :lol::lol:

Thanks for the pictures ;) I bet she was a bit nervous... since the last time we 'saw' them was during that private interview. They look awsome ;)

Thanks for the pictures ;) I bet she was a bit nervous... since the last time we 'saw' them was during that private interview. They look awsome ;)

They do look wonderful together. They had a short blip on MSNBC this morning of the two of them attending this event with the caption "Date Night". I thought that so cute!

Is that Kate's mother following her in the video?

...Now she's part of the show, Kate is smiling widely and looking quite lovely...
Oh yes, the Princess transformation is under way as we speak and this is where it starts to get really interesting. There'll be subtle changes in dress, public manner, overall polish and confidence. Not only will she be learning her lessons at Princess School but she'll be becoming increasingly comfortable in her role. It'll be a gradual process leading up to the wedding but a comparison of the Catherine Middleton we see in these videos with the Catherine Middleton we'll be seeing out and about just prior to the wedding will show a world of difference.

Come 29 April the new Princess/Duchess will be enveloped in the full mantle of that indefinable royal mystique and there'll be no looking back.
It's going to be a great ride for all keen royal observers. :)

It would have been nicer if they would have stopped to shake the hands of the people who came out to see them rather than walking past. ( I would think that of any of the royals) Personally, although it is their first joint event since they got engaged, they don't appear to be doing anything differently. That is not necessarily a bad thing. If it is not broke don't fix-it. I suppose however that the press will always make a big deal out of them.

I think what would have made a difference for me was if there would have been video inside so we could have seen her interactions with the public and the charity people as that will really be one of the deciding factors in how well she does her job. So far the only thing we really know about her is information about what she wears.

It would have been nicer if they would have stopped to shake the hands of the people who came out to see them rather than walking past. ( I would think that of any of the royals)

My immediate reaction was yes, you're right, it would have been nice if they had stopped to shake hands. But then I realised that that would be a little bit "celebrity" and would set a precedent resulting in more and more people crowding for a handshake at every event, which would lead to the couple having to split in two directions to shake everyones hands either side and resulting in the crowds making a preference as to whom they wanted to shake hands with. I'm all for the royal couple sticking side by side, not shaking anyone's hands so no one is disappointed that those on one side got to see them close up etc. By doing this, everyone gets to see the same thing and no one is disappointed!

This is true. Although Charles and Diana used to split the handshaking. Then again I think people booed when people got him and not her. I still think these people support you and you should always make the effort to show your appreciation.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is true. Although Charles and Diana used to split the handshaking. Then again I think people booed when people got him and not her. I still think these people support you and you should always make the effort to show your appreciation.

I don't think people actually booed but they expressed their disappointment with comments like - oh she's on the other side - and in a tone of voice that made it clear they wanted to see her.

It would have been nicer if they would have stopped to shake the hands of the people who came out to see them rather than walking past. ( I would think that of any of the royals)

I think what would have made a difference for me was if there would have been video inside so we could have seen her interactions with the public and the charity people
I so agree! I actually mentioned the hand shaking thing especially since William usually does do it when he's alone but I also included the weather when considering why they may have not stopped.

I also agree on the video it's nice we got a few seconds of them inside the little cottage prior to entering the actual theatre but it woulda been better if we had seen her and William meeting the cancer patients during intermission. I thought it may have been due to privacy issues we got no inside photos but a few children who were going to meet them were named prior to the engagement.

My immediate reaction was yes, you're right, it would have been nice if they had stopped to shake hands. But then I realised that that would be a little bit "celebrity" and would set a precedent resulting in more and more people crowding for a handshake at every event, which would lead to the couple having to split in two directions to shake everyones hands either side and resulting in the crowds making a preference as to whom they wanted to shake hands with. I'm all for the royal couple sticking side by side, not shaking anyone's hands so no one is disappointed that those on one side got to see them close up etc. By doing this, everyone gets to see the same thing and no one is disappointed!

I'm with you on this. It is so difficult to do something where EVERYONE is treated the same. I think this was a perfect choice, there will be times in the future when it will work out so that they can stop but I think this was a very good "show" for her first time out. Not to mention it was cold!!

Where any of the Van Cutsems with them in the crowd entering the fund raiser? It was reported that Emilie Van Cutsem is chairman of the teenage cancer trust volunteer committee - and had invited Prince William to attend the fundraising event for that trust.
I'm sure all involved w/ fundraising for the trust were beaming, after all they got the A team.
And I suspect this event was chosen for Catherine's first because it was viewed as 'safe' due to the 40+ years of friendship between the Van Cutsems' & the Wales along with the size and nature of the event. I doubt that it is a hint of the type of charities Catherine may patronize in the future.
Nice pictures on the news of Catherine either arriving @ or leaving the Queen's luncheon w/ Princes W & H, as well.

I so agree! I actually mentioned the hand shaking thing especially since William usually does do it when he's alone but I also included the weather when considering why they may have not stopped.

I also agree on the video it's nice we got a few seconds of them inside the little cottage prior to entering the actual theatre but it woulda been better if we had seen her and William meeting the cancer patients during intermission. I thought it may have been due to privacy issues we got no inside photos but a few children who were going to meet them were named prior to the engagement.

Names of a few doesn't mean that everyone agreed to having their name made public or that they would give permission to have their pictures taken - particularly if they are suffering cancer. Privacy for the patients usurps everyone else's right to see photos of two people showing up to see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom