Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (1921-2021)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only such a short time :( Gives people from abroad nearly no chance to visit.

That seems like the normal length of time, or even longer, for these types of exhibits. They tend to put them on when the Queen and family are heading off for their summer break in Balmoral and have the castle/palace back to normal for when they return to work.

That seems like the normal length of time, or even longer, for these types of exhibits. They tend to put them on when the Queen and family are heading off for their summer break in Balmoral and have the castle/palace back to normal for when they return to work.

I know and it saddens me everytime. I would so love to visit such - and especially this - exhibitions and never have the chance. Especially not now with covid and everything.

Here's a video on the exhibition celebrating the life of the late Duke of Edinburgh at Windsor Castle.

Last time I was at Windsor...quite a few years ago, I saw an Exhibition about Philips early life....

Only such a short time :( Gives people from abroad nearly no chance to visit.

Yeah. This is the second set of exhibits in the area I’ve read about tonight that I can’t see. :(

"In honour of HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, The Royal Mint has created a memorial coin to celebrate his life and legacy. The design features a portrait created by Ian Rank-Broadley FRBS that was personally approved by The Duke of Edinburgh"

Here are some photos of an interesting new exhibition:

"The life and legacy of His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh is being commemorated in a special display at the Palace of Holyroodhouse from 23 July until 31 October 2021":

** gettyimages gallery **

This is so sweet and something I'm sure Philip would be grinning ear to ear about.

Oh I so hope there is a possibility for us who cannot watch bbc to watch it somehow later.

Now this is something that makes me fervently wish I had access to watch this on the 22nd on BBC One. As it mentions that Robert Hardman is the writer and co-producer, I *know* it will be an excellent source of remembrance by those that knew him best. His family. They've also been given access to film the rooms that Philip used most and those I'd love to see also. I'm surmising in my head that they'll hold a nautical them. :D

Royal Family to pay tribute to Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh in new BBC One film

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2021/prince-philip-the-family-remembers

I hope Lady Louise features as she is almost an adult and most likely old enough to be interviewed. Some of the links say she will be included and then others just say adult grandchildren which basically means James isn’t included.

I look forward to this documentary, particularly if we seen footage never seen before.

Teaser Trailer for “Prince Philip: The Royal Family Remembers”

I hope Lady Louise features as she is almost an adult and most likely old enough to be interviewed. Some of the links say she will be included and then others just say adult grandchildren which basically means James isn’t included.

I look forward to this documentary, particularly if we seen footage never seen before.

As far as I can tell The Wessex children are not included, but you never know. I am deeply suspect of this documentary as it was back and forth to the Prince of Wales office.

We will have to wait and see how it actually turned out.

As far as I can tell The Wessex children are not included, but you never know. I am deeply suspect of this documentary as it was back and forth to the Prince of Wales office.

This sounds negative, why is that?

Oh I so hope there is a possibility for us who cannot watch bbc to watch it somehow later.

Unlikely as BBC doesn't share it online which is really a pity.

I don't know how accurate this is but the telegraph is reporting that Lady Louise took part:

More than a dozen members of the Royal Family have taken part, including all of the Queen children - the Prince of Wales, the Princess Royal, the Duke of York and the Earl of Wessex - and their grandchildren: the Dukes of Cambridge and Sussex, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, Peter Phillips, Zara Tindall and Lady Louise Windsor.

Regardless of how Charles may or may not feel about the Wessexes and the DOE title it makes sense that the BBC and her parents/HM would want her to talk (if she was up for it) due to carriage riding among other things.

Last edited:

I'm lost.

1. Who says it was back and forth to Charles's office? Why would it be?

2. You're not saying that Charles has something against the Wessexes, are you?
It's just the way your two sentences about different topics come together, right?

As we have only seen one or two snippets from the programme I am unclear how you have came to this opinion. I would be interested in your views.

In my mind, I expected Lady Louise to be among the family reminiscing about Philip. Mostly in the segments that deal with the aftermath of his death. I would imagine Louise would talk about her bond with Philip with carriage driving. She honored him the day of his death by exercising his horses. She also is the one that inherited his horses and carriage.

I don't see the BBC having anything but the deepest respect for Philip and his family while filming this show. Not everything has a dark horse running amok in it.

I'm lost.

1. Who says it was back and forth to Charles's office? Why would it be?

2. You're not saying that Charles has something against the Wessexes, are you?
It's just the way your two sentences about different topics come together, right?

Sorry - the two sentences come together.

I knew about the documentary and expected in to be released in June. When I was told that the documentary didn't release in June I reached out to someone in the palace who had been keen to contribute to it. He sent me an email back saying they had been informed it had been delayed as it had not been released by the Palace. Personally I think the flack the BBC received about the coverage of Prince Philip's death might also be a contributing factor, but that is just me.
Usually these types of things are signed off by the media office of the royal that is interviewed, so yes - both media offices would have signed it off. It is usually to check that the interview is not edited to change the meaning interview ect. However there seems to have been some back and forth with Clarence House. It happens, I get it. I just hope that this is not the Prince of Wales-verse edition.

There was a bit of lets say unhappiness after the death of Prince Philip that Charles's statement about the Duke of Edinburgh did not catch the imagination of the press and public that way it was hoped. To be honest without googling - I cannot remember what he said. Did anyone take this statement as the official one, the important one that should have been run as the headline? I cannot fault the press for that and neither can Prince Charles's media office. If it was meant to be the soundbite then maybe they should have told BP press office not to sent the Duke of York and Wessex's to talk to the press after church on the Sunday and not to have Anne, William and Harry release statements. Or simply, done a better statement.

2. Nope, not implying that Charles has something against the Wessex's. Just that it was stated that adult grandchildren were interviewed - Louise is not an adult. Was exception made ? Maybe, we shall see. Either way it is not an easy decision as either Louise looses out or James is singled out.

2. Nope, not implying that Charles has something against the Wessex's. Just that it was stated that adult grandchildren were interviewed - Louise is not an adult. Was exception made ? Maybe, we shall see. Either way it is not an easy decision as either Louise looses out or James is singled out.

Even though the age of majority (adulthood) is 18 in the UK, I wouldn't be surprised if they made an exception for Louise as she'll turn 18 in November and most likely, if needed, her parents consented for her to take part in this remembrance.

It's really hit me how the time has flown and now Louise is about to be considered an adult in less than two months. My mindset somehow still thinks of both Louise and James as children.

All wills are publicly available, unless decreed otherwise, if they have to go through probate (proving the will), which normally applies to anyone who owns property - which, given that a lot of people own their homes, is very common - unless it's being left directly to their partner or another joint owner.

It's not something I'm very keen on, because newspapers often publish details of how much money famous people left, or even how much money wealthy private individuals from the local community left, and who it went to, which is really no-one else's business. The details of George Michael's will, for example, were all over the newspapers.

I suppose the idea is that anyone who was owed money by the deceased gets the opportunity to come forward and claim it, or, historically, that someone could come forward and say that they've got the right to drive sheep through the land or collect tolls at a turnpike gate or something.

I must admit that I really was under the impression that the will was simply the Queen gets everything. Taxes and all. I understand that gifts were given to the DOE staff.

Gifts are not taxed - is that correct? So if he wanted to leave something to staff, god children and friends - would it have been in the will?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom