Prince Harry Current Events 14: August-November 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MARG said:
Death is a little final so they had better live life to the max and make every moment count. Unforturnately they tend to count backwards...... in dog years! So, on behalf of the 2 week old chimpanzee's I take umbrage.:ROFLMAO:
(Been there, seen that! so I guess I can say that too!)

I don't know what came over me, what can I say or do, except offer the most profuse and humblest apology to all chimpanzees that I may have offended with this erroneous comparison. :blush: :lol:

Hope he doesent catch any heat from this and that those responsible will be punished.

So now that hes done with Dorset whats next??

Royal Fan said:
So now that hes done with Dorset whats next??

Same as every other new officer in the B&R's, training, manoeuvers, getting to know the team he will be working with, the boring bits of army life. Further learning of the rules and regulations that he will be expected to know, running around after higher ranking officers, learning how to delegate. :lol:

They are Troopers in the mounted division of the B & R's, they have been charged!

Glad he is done :) and all went well. when will we see him in Uniform again when will he get a medal or Promotion?

Royal Fan said:
Glad he is done :) and all went well. when will we see him in Uniform again when will he get a medal or Promotion?

He will be in uniform as soon as he is back on base, so anytime a photographer can get him. There could be many presentations or parades he will have to attend, but, I would imagine that those details will only be released nearer the time for security reasons.

Unless he is in an actual campaign, he won't be entitled to a campaign medal, we don't have many jubilees coming up! :) He will be a 2nd lieutenant for approx 3 years but, he could be promoted earlier.

Skydragon said:
He will be in uniform as soon as he is back on base, so anytime a photographer can get him. There could be many presentations or parades he will have to attend, but, I would imagine that those details will only be released nearer the time for security reasons.

Unless he is in an actual campaign, he won't be entitled to a campaign medal, we don't have many jubilees coming up! :) He will be a 2nd lieutenant for approx 3 years but, he could be promoted earlier.
Do you think he will join the SAS when can and If he can get through the training? I think he wants to do P-Coy and then hpoeflly Jump school. What about the SRR?

kpusa1981 said:
Do you think he will join the SAS when can and If he can get through the training? I think he wants to do P-Coy and then hpoeflly Jump school. What about the SRR?

I honestly don't think the SAS or SRR would be able to take him. He is too high profile, too well known. Unlike the films, most of the SAS are the sort you wouldn't notice in the street, very unassuming but highly trained.
There are still debates going on as to whether he will be allowed to go into a war zone with his men, so I can't see him being allowed to apply for the SAS or SRR. :)

TonyaR said:
I take this story with a large dose of salt considering it's point of origin.:rolleyes:
However, if this story is in fact true I think it would be betting certainty that Prince Harry would resign his commission. His whole reason for being would be gone. He would be humiliated and redundant, unable to look his men in the face or himself in the mirror. :unhappy:
If he cannot fight with his men, he should not have been allowed to go to Sandhurst or any other Military Establishment particularly at this time when actual fighting is a sure bet. :bang:
Might as well party heaps and play polo! He is extremely accomplished at both! :D

Looks like it is true.
Here are a few newspaper reports about it.

Prince Harry 'banned from Afghanistan

Britain's Prince Harry will not be allowed to fight on the front line in Afghanistan, The Mail on Sunday newspaper says, citing senior sources in the prince's regiment.
Harry, third in line to the throne, reportedly threatened to quit the British Army if he was blocked from active service due to safety fears and any such decision is likely to infuriate the 22-year-old.
Although a formal decision has yet to be made, sources in the Household Cavalry told the weekly tabloid they thought it was too dangerous for him to deploy in Afghanistan.

Harry can't go to war
Prince Harry barred from fighting in Afghanistan

Last edited:
I feel really sorry for him, with everyone around him making the decisions as to whether he can or can't be a 'real' soldier. Although I can understand the debate, until William marries and has a couple of children, he is caught. He probably won't even be allowed to plead his right to go. His path, as always, is in someone elses hands. :sad:

MARG said:
His whole reason for being would be gone. He would be humiliated and redundant, unable to look his men in the face or himself in the mirror. :unhappy:

Yes, it will be gone...that is gone for any type of war zone. However, there was a whole lot of doubt that the man would be sent there at all. It was a little naive to think not, but the enthusiasm and courage he displayed about going should not go unnoticed. And, neither should William's. But, it is a position that they both are born into and there are both positive and negative aspects of having that silver spoon with the palaces, servants and bodyguards. They are considered too indispendible to be sent abroad in war zones; and, unfortunately they are more so, than their fellow men. But, they will serve their country well being behind those lines in England or in some other foreign post, if they should be sent there.

This news will probably break a little of their spirit, but they did sign in and was paid for their participation in an expensive training. And, they may also do a fantastic job training others. It will be rough for both I believe to train those others to go to war zones, but keeping in mind, there were many more who were trained in those same positions and eventually retired from the service without ever going to a war zone because there simply wasn't one to go to.

If he cannot fight with his men, he should not have been allowed to go to Sandhurst or any other Military Establishment particularly at this time when actual fighting is a sure bet.

I didn't think everyone who trained at "Sandhurst or any other Military Establishment" went to fight. There are many who never even leave the shores.

Might as well party heaps and play polo! He is extremely accomplished at both!

I hope not. His mind and energy is a terrible thing to waste. He's a smart cookie and has such a contribution to make to Britain. Let us hope that he doesn't wreck himself by this news.:)

Last edited:
HRH Kimetha said:
I hope not. His mind and energy is a terrible thing to waste. He's a smart cookie and has such a contribution to make to Britain. Let us hope that he doesn't wreck himself by this news.:)
Let's hope you are right. However, Prince Harry trained for a fighting regiment and that regiment is most likely to see action in the very near future. To not let him participate and expect him to stay home and push paper is expecting too much. Harry has worked hard to suceed on his own merits. To destroy his future on the extremely outside chance that the 2nd in line may die is riduclous.:wacko:
If Harry does not serve he will have to become a purely ceremonial soldier. His peers will go and fight for their country and advance in the ranks by the tested merit of their actions. How can Harry compete? The answer is glaringly obvious..... he can't. That being the case I truely believe that whilst TPTB may prevent him from serving in the theatre of war they will have b...er all chance of preventing him from disengageing. He may be the Royal third in line, but he is also a man!:bang:
KRH Kimetha said:
This news will probable break a little of their spirit, ...
To break a little of ones spirit is, I believe, like being a litte bit pregnant. :bangin:

MARG said:
Let's hope you are right. However, Prince Harry trained for a fighting regiment and that regiment is most likely to see action in the very near future. To not let him participate and expect him to stay home and push paper is expecting too much. Harry has worked hard to suceed on his own merits. To destroy his future on the extremely outside chance that the 2nd in line may die is riduclous.:wacko:

I agree with you, Marg, that it would be too much to expect him to stay home and push paper and that there might be an "outside chance that the 2nd in line may die ridiculous". But, its the targeting of his team and barracks, should that happen and countless soldiers die because of it that would be called into question. However, he may have been foretold this information before the press was given this information. He may have had some time to get through this and may considering other options, just as William; then, maybe not. I'm sure this has broken his 'heart' and 'soul' that his future in a war zone was decided like this. This can be extremely painful.

Hopefully, Harry won't have to be a paper pusher. There are other positions in that regiment that need top military officers that are required at home. A top soldier can either be on the field in a war zone or behind the line training those or even studying reconnaisence (sp) to pass on to the soldiers in the field. In today's military, there is so much done behind the lines directing soldiers in the field through satellite. Back when the US had their space program going to the moon one of their missions, Apollo 13, had an oxygen cannister explosion on board their ship that prevented a moon landing. The work 'behind' the scene of getting those astronauts back to earth came from things being resolved not in the 'battle' zone of space, but on the ground.

If Harry does not serve he will have to become a purely ceremonial soldier. His peers will go and fight for their country and advance in the ranks by the tested merit of their actions. How can Harry compete? The answer is glaringly obvious..... he can't. That being the case I truely believe that whilst TPTB may prevent him from serving in the theatre of war they will have b...er all chance of preventing him from disengageing. He may be the Royal third in line, but he is also a man!:bang:

He doesn't have to become a 'purely ceremonial soldier'. He can go on to study war operations behind the scenes and advance through the ranks that way. Again, I must iterate that not all men who train to be soldiers of war make it to war. In other words, he can develop skills in using the information that tank personnel transmit back to headquarters about the enemy and with him knowing how the specialty equipment works helps Harry understand the field unit and the dangers they might encounter when planning of future action is warranted. The requirements for successful military service -- strength, bravery, pride, and wisdom is what Harry is getting from his training and his career as a soldier.

And a soldier he is and was trained and taught to be. A soldier that is part of a team, part of company and regiment. I'm hoping he will suck this in and put his best foot forward and come out a better man, soldier, friend and officer. Officer's put their men first and that is what is expected of them. Harry's a good man...let us hope he will get through this with few regrets. Britain needs good soldiers and not for fighting outside of the Isles as the Battle for Britain may come within.

Last edited:
Prince Harry current events 11: August 2006-

HRH Kimetha said:
I agree with you, Marg, that it would be too much to expect him to stay home and push paper and that there might be an "outside chance that the 2nd in line may die ridiculous". But, its the targeting of his team and barracks, should that happen and countless soldiers die because of it that would be called into question. However, he may have been foretold this information before the press was given this information. He may have had some time to get through this and may considering other options, just as William; then, maybe not. I'm sure this has broken his 'heart' and 'soul' that his future in a war zone was decided like this. This can be extremely painful.

Hopefully, Harry won't have to be a paper pusher. There are other positions in that regiment that need top military officers that are required at home. A top soldier can either be on the field in a war zone or behind the line training those or even studying reconnaisence (sp) to pass on to the soldiers in the field. In today's military, there is so much done behind the lines directing soldiers in the field through satellite. Back when the US had their space program going to the moon one of their missions, Apollo 13, had an oxygen cannister explosion on board their ship that prevented a moon landing. The work 'behind' the scene of getting those astronauts back to earth came from things being resolved not in the 'battle' zone of space, but on the ground.

He doesn't have to become a 'purely ceremonial soldier'. He can go on to study war operations behind the scenes and advance through the ranks that way. Again, I must iterate that not all men who train to be soldiers of war make it to war. In other words, he can develop skills in using the information that tank personnel transmit back to headquarters about the enemy and with him knowing how the specialty equipment works helps Harry understand the field unit and the dangers they might encounter when planning of future action is warranted. The requirements for successful military service -- strength, bravery, pride, and wisdom is what Harry is getting from his training and his career as a soldier.

And a soldier he is and was trained and taught to be. A soldier that is part of a team, part of company and regiment. I'm hoping he will suck this in and put his best foot forward and come out a better man, soldier, friend and officer. Officer's put their men first and that is what is expected of them. Harry's a good man...let us hope he will get through this with few regrets. Britain needs good soldiers and not for fighting outside of the Isles as the Battle for Britain may come within.
When Cornet Wales in barracks (WHAT BARRACKS) how wuold the Terrorist/ Insurgents know that he was in the barracks? When the Officers and Men go into the barracks they would all still in their unifroms. You would not bable tell the officers from the men. In combat the officers do not wear rank on their unifroms in the war terrorism it would be smartest if no one wears rank on their unifroms.

Last edited:
kpusa1981 said:
In combat the officers do not wear rank on their unifroms in the war terrorism it would be smartest if no one wears rank on their unifroms.
From newsreel footage from Afghanistan and Iraq I think a mother would be hard pressed to recognise her own son in desert DPM's and helmet!
Maybe they think he'd put a royal flag on his vehicle.:rolleyes:

As for serving behind the scenes, while it is just as important it is not what Harry signed up for, or specifically trained for.:sad:

The attacks might become more freguent, regardless whether they would or would not know exactly where Prince Harry serves.

I am really sorry he isn't allowed to go to war, hope it will not break him down, but I can understand the reasons behind it. It's not that his life is more valuable then any other soldier's life, quite the contrary: the lives of all soldiers is too valuable too add additional risk.

Prince Harry's anger as Army chiefs push for war zone ban

An angry and embarrassed Prince Harry was last night considering quitting the Army after commanders banned him from serving on the front line in Afghanistan.
He is furious at the prospect of being so publicly humiliated with his reputation as a soldier destroyed before his career has really begun.

Half of me hopes he gets his wish to serve with his unit, half of me wouldn't want any of my sons or daughter anywhere near the base he is stationed at.

It will be a tough call for the ptb but, if he doesn't go, it sends a very bad message to every other member of the armed forces or his/her parents that they are expendible. The old cannon fodder syndrome. :mad:

Prince Harry current events 11: August 2006-

Skydragon said:
Half of me hopes he gets his wish to serve with his unit, half of me wouldn't want any of my sons or daughter anywhere near the base he is stationed at.

It will be a tough call for the ptb but, if he doesn't go, it sends a very bad message to every other member of the armed forces or his/her parents that they are expendible. The old cannon fodder syndrome. :mad:
Could the MoD give and all those in his unit a code names? When they are all in ther unifroms and helmats how are you going be able to tell who Harry is? Could the reason they are saying this to be to hide the fact that they will deploy him with his unit?

kpusa1981 said:
Could the MoD give and all those in his unit a code names? When they are all in ther unifroms and helmats how are you going be able to tell who Harry is? Could the reason they are saying this to be to hide the fact that they will deploy him with his unit?

Unfortunately the press would be unable to resist the temptation to publish every little detail of his units deployment. Then there are the soldiers in his unit who are unable to keep their mouths shut and chat on unsecured phones or tell a friend.
I don't think the only worry for the ptb is a kidnap, they also have to take into consideration the extra danger they think he might bring to the troops out there.

This should all have been thought out before, however, the forces are always good training for life in the real world (well, sort of for officers). :rolleyes:

Skydragon said:

So true, Skydragon. I agree on both points. However, there has always been two classes--those who are expendable and those who aren't and that's been like that down through the ages. Unfortunately and there again, fortunately for Harry he falls into the latter. He isn't expendable, but I think the real issue is will his being anywhere there is danger, will the enemy target that area. If I was a mother with a son or daughter anywhere near the prince, I would want my child to be reassigned because of the extra hazard of having the prince that may be targeted, thus my child's hazard has now increased. So, yes it is a tough call and the message is plain...

Here's also another take on the decision that is interesting. This is taken from an article out of Dubai:

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Society/10073479.html

Last edited:
Poor Harry. He should be thankful that he's in the group that is considered 'valuable' and then he should think of another way to prove himself, since the decision has been made that he will not be allowed to go experience a real live war first-hand as would be the fate of those other fellows. I'm certain there are other ways Harry can make himself useful, right?

I'm just not sure that Harry clearly understands the clear tragedy of the whole situation.

I'd guess he's been told things, probably seen some things in the news and whatever but I don't think that he has the true grit for it. He's too sheltered, and I think he'd be in way over his head. He'd never even be allowed to do anything but basically file papers and make reports anyway. I have to say honestly I don't feel sorry for him. I'm sure he'll get over it in time.

If he feels he simply must go to Afganistan, then he can have the BRF sponsor him on a short visit to cheer up the troops or something.

Last edited:
Lillia said:
Poor Harry.
Sarcasm really is the lowest form of wit!
Lillia said:
He should be thankful that he's in the group that is considered 'valuable' . I'm certain there are other ways Harry can make himself useful, right?
On a man-to-man level being considered valuable clearly means that the rest of his battalion is not. What an insult to every serving soldier and every soldiers family. Are they just cannon fodder?
lillia said:
I'm just not sure that Harry clearly understands the clear tragedy of the whole situation.I'd guess he's been told things, probably seen some things in the news and whatever but I don't think that he has the true grit for it. He's too sheltered, and I think he'd be in way over his head. He'd never even be allowed to do anything but basically file papers and make reports anyway.
If you believe that Prince Harry could have completed Sandhurst and ongoing specialist training and not only fail to understand, but lack the true grit required to do the job then you grossly underestimate the military machine. To pass him at any stage when he was less fit than others would have exposed the military to accusations of favoritism and cronnyism. His peers would have made sure the news was well and truely leaked! He wasn't and they didn't.
Lillia said:
I have to say honestly I don't feel sorry for him. I'm sure he'll get over it in time. If he feels he simply must go to Afganistan, then he can have the BRF sponsor him on a short visit to cheer up the troops or something.
He may very well get over it in time but to treat this on a par with not getting the polo pony of his choice is petty and mean spirited. And yes I'm sure his former fellow officers and men would turn out in droves to see him do a cancan or some such other meaningful item of entertainment.

These decisions were supposedly made before he joined the Army. For heavens sake, what is an army for. Here we have a young man who seems ideally suited to his chosen career. That he is a Royal Prince who is willing to lay his life on the line with his men makes him the best poster-boy the military has had in years. Warfare is what it is all about and Prince Harry stated clearly that this was a career choice, not unlike his Uncle Andrew. (Are not journalists required to be accredited in the theatre of war? We know they were in the Falklands campaign, how much control does the Military have over these present theatres of war?)

We didn't hear any reports of removing him from his ship in case the Argentinians concentrated fire on it in order to kill the 3rd in line during the Falklands campaign. That would have been disasterous for morale. Somehow I think that the message this decision is sending is exactly that.

Prince Harry seems almost doomed to find no other career. Obviously the military is no longer an option. Commerce = Cronnyism as his Uncle Edward found to his dismay. There really is no 'real' job for a Prince who is only a spare!

Polo and partying are starting to look like his best bet. And, lets not forget, we could all follow his sartorial exploits with bated breath. (Him and Paris Hilton both!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom