Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Current Events 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And she did work with Michelle Fairley and Conleth Hill on Suits who are both Norns (Catelyn Stark and Varys from GoT)

Norn Irish is probably closer to Lowland Scots than anything else - Lallans and Ullans is basically the same dialect/language . Whilst Irish and Gaelic Scots speakers sound more like each other than their northern or central belt fellow citizens

I would love it if everyone in Ireland spoke like they do in Galway! The best ever! [emoji7]

KP just posted a few engagements for Harry and Meghan. They have a very busy week.

I see that the Prince and Ms Markle will attend the 25th anniversary memorial of Stephen Lawrence. [A black London Architecture Student murdered in a racially motivated attack].

I'm glad the Royal family will be represented, but hope Ms Markle isn't 'being wheeled out' BECAUSE of her ethnicity...

I have to say the schedule is pretty impressive (see link below). "Hit the ground running"...yeah I'd say so. The introductory tour of the U.K. with Harry was to be expected but I'm pretty amazed by this level of Meghan involvement in official events pre-wedding. Interesting to see how KP decides what events they'll attend as a couple over the next month. Also at what point do they shut it down to focus on final wedding prep.

I see that the Prince and Ms Markle will attend the 25th anniversary memorial of Stephen Lawrence. [A black London Architecture Student murdered in a racially motivated attack].

I'm glad the Royal family will be represented, but hope Ms Markle isn't 'being wheeled out' BECAUSE of her ethnicity...

I don't care either way. She is a woman of color and I am sure she likely wanted to attend as well. Why not? They don't have to shy aware from things like this because people want to assume all their motivations is race related. Meghan being biracial is not changing. No need to question if anytime she is in the presence of other non white people it is because she too is non white. Anyways, glad they are attending.

I have to say the schedule is pretty impressive (see link below). "Hit the ground running"...yeah I'd say so. The introductory tour of the U.K. with Harry was to be expected but I'm pretty amazed by this level of Meghan involvement in official events pre-wedding. Interesting to see how KP decides what events they'll attend as a couple over the next month. Also at what point do they shut it down to focus on final wedding prep.

I would guess they will go strong until the end of the month and then starting in May they will be focusing solely on the wedding. It is officially a month away from Thursday. Will be here before we know it. Doria likely will be arriving the first week of May or so.

Last edited:
I don't care either way. She is a woman of color and I am sure she likely wanted to attend as well. Why not? They don't have to shy aware from things like this because people want to assume all their motivations is race related. Meghan being biracial is not changing. No need to question if anytime she is in the presence of other non white people it is because she too is non white. Anyways, glad they are attending.

I tend to agree with you. My eyebrows would be raised if Meghan were only attending the memorial, but if she can go to Commonwealth Day service and a reception with the Australian PM then she can go to this too. It's called doing her job.

Agreed. I'm afraid this may be viewed as tokenism.

Harry is apparently making a statement on behalf of the Prince of Wales and I'm surprised CH didn't find a way of fitting this into Charles's diary given how important this tragedy has been in British race relations.

Harry is apparently making a statement on behalf of the Prince of Wales and I'm surprised CH didn't find a way of fitting this into Charles's diary given how important this tragedy has been in British race relations.

Charles has met with Stephen Lawrence's parents on a number of occasions and has spoken at the Stephen Lawrence Memorial Lecture. He is the one with the strong link to the family.

I think that if he could be there he would be. William is not being diaried for anything he can't easily get out of (the power of baby #3) so sending Harry makes sense.

But I do see the risk of tokenism being raised

Phil Dampier commented on this exact thing today as well. She has a pretty packed week. I think we are long past the tour part. :lol: I think now it's just matter of getting used to a more regular schedule of events.

I personally think Meghan's presence is important because of her background and what that represents for the RF and their role in the nation. I will be honest that I was (and still am) concerned that Meghan would not be allowed to continue to speak out on racism as a member of the RF for it being deemed too political, so this is a positive development to me.

Meghan can really be an ambassador for the RF in places where they traditionally have not resonated i.e. communities of color. And that should be a priority because of the changing nature of the UK. I do not think that is bad at all and those who see it that way can't be helped likely.

All in all, I am very pleased to see Harry and Meghan honoring the work being done by the Trust and the memory of both Stephen's life but also what his death represented as a broader reflection of the state of race relations.

Reactions: ACO

Tokenism or not, I think Meghan should do this if she wanted to. She does have the option of not going right now as she is not married yet. So I don't think the BRF is "wheeling" her out because she's biracial. It's interesting how the issue of race is viewed sometimes. If no one goes, then they don't care. If they go, then it's just for show and PR. I find the assumption of a lesser than honorable motivation without reasonable support often is more of a problem that person has than those they are assuming about.

We didn't say it was tokenism, we said it may be viewed as such.

Yeah I think we have to be careful with accusation of tokenism. I get in this case some might think it but I hope every single thing she does with POC isn't seen this way. Though it likely will be.

I think it less likely in this particular case because of Prince Charles' links with the family.

We didn't say it was tokenism, we said it may be viewed as such.

I didn't say you did. I said if anyone sees it as that, it's more their problem than anything else.

All I will say is that with Meghan attending this event with Harry, its living, positive proof how an interracial relationship can produce something very beautiful. Harry sees it and loves it and as time passes, so will many, many people.

I see we are going to see them a lot in days to come ! i'm delighted

I can see how it could be viewed as just sending the person of color to an event about a person of color; but knowing what I know I say Meghan is just going along because Harry is going. I would hope media outlets would recognize that and not make a big deal of it.

Harry and Meghan will be attending the Queen's Birthday Party Concert on the 21st. :flowers: That sounds like a fun gig. Maybe we will see some dressy dress and accouterments? ;)

The Queen's birthday concert. That sounds like fun. Who are the acts? The only thing that would upstage this event is the birth of baby Cambridge.

The funeral of Stephen Lawrence - some in the press will try to twist this around to tokenism to get clicks. The tokenism claim was tossed in their Brixton visit in January. I thought this at first then I learned Charles started the trust 25 years ago. To me Harry and Meghan are showing that the concerns of all citizens of the UK matter. The royals can't change legislation, that's up to Parliament.

Last edited:
From what I saw earlier Meghan and Harry have several more engagements in April even after CHOGM.

LaRae

I haven’t seen any announcement regarding Meghan for the Qieen’s Birthday concert. Do we have a source?

Royal Reporters have been chatting on twitter about their upcoming engagements.

LaRae

I don't think anyone except HM, Harry, and Andrew have been confirmed. I am sure Meghan will be in attendance though as it is also a big night for Harry giving his big speech as the new President of the Queen's Commonwealth Trust. Not sure they will announce the attendees. Andrew announced himself and Harry was revealed because of the new role. I would guess most of them will be there.

It would really be odd if Meghan wasn't there with Harry..I'm pretty sure she would go too.

LaRae

isn't that on the same day that they are due at the Invictus reception with the Oz PM and his wife at Australia House? A busy day, if so!

Sounds like the British public will be getting their money's worth from these two in April. Seems like Meghan has been hard-working her whole life, so I'm not surprised to see her jump right in feet first.

isn't that on the same day that they are due at the Invictus reception with the Oz PM and his wife at Australia House? A busy day, if so!

The reception seems to be early afternoon and then the concert is that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom