Prince Carl Philip and Motor Racing

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nicky Catsburg drove first today and came to the pit as third and Carl Philip went to the car and continued. Three laps to go, Carl Philip drove off from the track to the gravel and had to retire.
Results
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIum5oaXUAA_Pl_.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIuQ-2xWsAA0VxG.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DItdvB7XgAILzvS.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYjC98ng_tA/?tagged=swedishgt

Promising but fruitless first Swedish GT race at Anderstorp
The Polestar Cyan Racing duo of Prince Carl Philip and Nicky Catsburg fought hard in the first Swedish GT race at Anderstorp, involved in a battle for the podium that unfortunately ended too early.
WTCC star Catsburg qualified an impressive second on his first visit on the former F1 circuit, just four tenths from pole, and handed over the car to Prince Carl Philip in third position.
”I had a good qualifying session and first stint of the race. I could not do anything about the Ferraris on the straight as they have so much more power due to the regulations. But we were well in the fight for a podium finish in the race and that was our goal,” said Nicky Catsburg.
Prince Carl Philip gained on the Ferrari of Tidstrand and Kressner in second position toward the end of the race, lapping considerably faster.”The car felt great and I was making ground on the Ferrari ahead of me. Then, unfortunately, I put a wheel outside the track and went off in the next corner. I am sorry for the team, but we will be back even stronger tomorrow,” said Prince Carl Philip.
Prince Carl Philip remain in third position of the drivers’ championship, 29 points from the leading Ferrari duo of Fredrik Larsson and Ingvar Mattsson.
Promising but fruitless first Swedish GT race at Anderstorp _ Cyan Racing

Last edited:
Busy days for Carl Philip indeed.
Some bad luck today at racing,

Carl Philip was third at the warm up this morning.

Carl Philip started the race as fifth, lost his rear diffuser and rear bumper when going off in Turn 5. Later he spun when he tried to pass Brunstedt and was beached in the gravel.
Results from the race 2 of the weekend.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIzcCkjXUAAar7S.jpg:large

When the weekend started Carl Philip was third at the championship, only 6 points behind the leader. He is now fourth, and 48 points behind the leader.

King Carl Gustaf was today at Anderstorp Raceaway to watch Carl Philip race.
https://beta.tt.se/media/image/sdltc2e83f4_WatermarkPreview.jpg
https://beta.tt.se/media/image/sdltc2e83ee_WatermarkPreview.jpg
https://beta.tt.se/media/image/sdltc2e8652_WatermarkPreview.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYkoiIGB2zt/?taken-at=283331000
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYlGOd_nPTP/?taken-at=283331000

Polestar Cyan Racing keen for revenge after difficult Anderstorp weekend
The Swedish GT weekend at Anderstorp was expected to be tough for the Polestar Cyan Racing duo of Prince Carl Philip and Nicky Catsburg and turned out to be so, with the title hope only mathematical ahead of the season finale.
Catsburg, who never before had driven the car nor the track, started the weekend strongly by qualifying second, despite lacking over 250 horsepower compared to the main Ferrari rivals on the long straights of the former F1 circuit.
The duo was fighting for a podium finish in the first and second race, but unfortunately had to retire from both.
"I am happy with our pace this weekend, especially in qualifying where we were closer than we expected to our competitors. It was of course unfortunate with two retirements, but that is racing sometimes", said Nicky Catsburg.
"I am disappointed, this weekend did not turn out as we wanted. We will head to the next race at Mantorp Park without any pressure as the title is more or less out of our reach and just try to score the best possible result", said Prince Carl Philip.
Prince Carl Philip trails the championship leading Ferrari duo of Fredrik Larsson and Ingvar Mattsson by 48 points with 50 remaining to be fought for in the final race weekend of the year.
Polestar Cyan Racing keen for revenge after difficult Anderstorp weekend _ Cyan Racing

Last edited by a moderator:
Double Argentinian champion Néstor Girolami to join Prince Carl Philip in the season finale of the 2017 Swedish GT championship at Mantorp Park this weekend.
Girolami, driving for Polestar Cyan Racing in the 2017 FIA World Touring Car Championship, has claimed two titles of the tough Super TC2000 championship in Argentina but has a challenging task ahead at Mantorp.
“I am very happy to get this opportunity and I will of course give my best to help Prince Carl Philip in the season finale – always a special race in a championship. It will not be easy as the track and car are new to me, but I am used to adapting quickly. I hope that together we can score at least one podium finish,” said Néstor Girolami.
A difficult weekend at Anderstorp two weeks ago has reduced Prince Carl Philip to only mathematical title hopes, as he is 47 points behind the championship leading Ferrari duo of Fredrik Larsson and Ingvar Mattsson, with 50 points left to be fought for.
”I was thoroughly disappointed after the weekend at Anderstorp as we were in for a podium finish in both races. But I have full focus on scoring the best possible result in both races at Mantorp and don’t now pay too much attention to the championship situation,” said Prince Carl Philip.
Double Argentinian champion joins Prince Carl Philip in Swedish GT season finale _ Cyan Racing

A race incident ended a promising first race of the Swedish GT season finale weekend at Mantorp Park for the Polestar Cyan Racing duo Néstor Girolami and Prince Carl Philip.
Girolami had qualified seventh despite not having driven a single lap in dry conditions at Mantorp Park prior to qualifying and was involved in a fight for sixth position with championship rival and Audi R8 driver Jan Brunstedt when the two made contact, ending the race.
“I had a good start and was faster than Brunstedt in front of me. I went on the inside of him but he tried to close the door and we made contact, ending the race for both of us. It was an unfortunate incident but the positive thing was that we were quicker than Brunstedt,” said Néstor Girolami.
Prince Carl Philip is third in the championship, just two points behind Brunstedt, with one race left.
”This was obviously not the way we wanted the race to end. But the point difference between me and Brunstedt remain the same for tomorrow and while I will start four positions behind him, just as Néstor said, the promising thing for tomorrow is that we have the pace on him,” said Prince Carl Philip.
Race incident ends promising first Swedish GT race at Mantorp _ Cyan Racing

Results first race of the weekend
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJxiSZ4WAAAtd39.jpg:large

Photo from Néstor Girolami's Twitter
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJyADv3WAAA7WvU.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZFuu3yjioR/?taken-at=236859558

Warm up and second race tomorrow.

Last edited:
Carl Philip drove the warm up alone, and was 8th.

Carl Philip and Néstor Girolami came 14th at the second race of the weekend.

Carl Philip came second at the Swedish GT serie in 2017.
Carl Philip had 121 points. Frederik Larsson/Ingvar Mattsson won the championship with 206 points.
https://www.stcc.se/poang/swedish-gt-gta/

King Carl Gustaf and some friends were today at Mantorp Park to watch Carl Philip Race.
Prins Carl Philip körde Swedish GT - pappa kungen tittade på _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Galleries
Profimedia
ROYAL: Carl Philip und Carl Gustaf beim Autorennen

Prince Carl Philip secured the 2017 Swedish GT silver medal for Polestar Cyan Racing in an eventful season finale at Mantorp Park.
Co-driver Néstor Girolami had to retire from the first race of the weekend following contact with championship rival and Audi driver Jan Brunstedt. The incident meant that the Polestar Cyan Racing duo was two points from second place in the championship ahead of the final race.
Prince Carl Philip made a strong start in the second race from fifth on the grid to claim third on the first lap. But a clutch problem meant that the duo dropped to finish eighth in the GTA class, claiming four points, enough to secure second position in the championship.
”I am very glad to finish second overall and big thanks to everyone in the team, Thed, Nicky and Néstor who have made this result possible. It has been a thrilling and tough season, with both disappointments and great memories like the victories at Knutstorp and Karlskoga,” said Prince Carl Philip.
Prince Carl Philip claims 2017 Swedish GT silver medal in season finale _ Cyan Racing

Last edited:
Carl Philip's former teammate in STCC Thed Björk, who won 3 consecutive titles, in 2013, in 2014 and in 2015 in STCC is the new World Champion at FIA World Touring Car Championship.
Thed Björk has become the first ever Swedish racing World Champion as Volvo Cars, Polestar and Cyan Racing claim their maiden motorsport World Titles.
”To become the first ever Swedish racing World Champion is something I have dreamt about since I started racing! I can’t put words to my feelings right now but this is by far the greatest moment of my racing career. The season final went according to our plans and a massive thank you to everyone in the team, they are as much World Champions as I am!” said Thed Björk.
”We entered the championship last year with a five-year plan to become World Champions. We did it in just two years. We have exceeded all of our expectations and goals this season. Thed Björk has done an awesome job this season and is a worthy champion. The team has put down thousands and thousands of hours to together claim the World Title, I can’t thank them enough. This is the proudest moment in the history of our team and I am so proud to be able to say that we are the World Champions!” said Alexander Murdzevski Schedvin, Head of Motorsport at Polestar.
Thed Björk and Polestar Cyan Racing crowned World Champions! _ Cyan Racing
Thed Björk and Polestar Cyan Racing receive World Champion trophies at legendary FIA prize giving ceremony _ Cyan Racing

Besides racing in WTCC, Thed Björk raced some races this year as a guest driver at Swedish GT with Carl Philip. They won the first race in May and a race in August.
http://www.cyanracing.com/app/uploads/2017/05/Cyan_SGT_Knutstorp_mp_R1_019-750x422.jpg
http://www.cyanracing.com/app/uploads/2017/08/PolestarCyanRacing_GLR17_race2_013-750x422.jpg

Prince Carl Philips racing career uncertain
So far, nobody knows what and how he will drive in next year's STCC.
Prince Carl Philip is passionate about motorsport. Last season the prince drove at the Swedish GT. But ahead of this season, Prince Carl Philips's future in racing is uncertain.
At press release STCC announces that the car type of Volvo that the Prince drove, a a TTA car, will be phased out.
This makes the future of racing prince Carl Philip uncertain.
- It's an open question about Prince Carl Philip and Björk will start this year's Swedish GT. And if so, in what car, says the press release.
Johan Meissner, Press Officer at Cyan Polestar Racing, says there is a work going ahead next season.
- As we always do at this time ahead of the season, we are defining our efforts. This means that we will change the car type, but exactly how, to which car and with whom we will return.
This means that the prince's future is not yet ready yet?
- We will announce it in the near future.
Prins Carl Philips framtid i STCC osäker _ Motor _ Expressen

In the evening Carl Philip inaugurated Rally Sweden, he is the patron of the Rally.
Belga Image

Last edited:
Lovely, subtle paint job. I Love the eyes and smile. (on the car ;) )

Press release from Wednesday
”I am excited ahead of the season start and I have a good feeling after the pre-season tests. I have done plenty of laps and while the car is completely new for me to learn, it feels easy to drive and I have made big improvements on my lap times. I think we have the potential for a strong opening weekend of the season,” said Prince Carl Philip.
A new start for Lotus Cyan Racing in the 2018 Swedish GT premiere _ Cyan Racing

Carl Philip and Richard Göransson were first at the test today in their class.

At the first qualifying Richard Göransson secured GTB class pole position and second position overall for Bernadotte/Göransson

At the second qualifying Carl Philip was second in their class and fourth overall.

Last edited:
The first race of the season is over. The race was 35 min + 1 lap, with the pit stop window open between 15 and 20 minutes of the race. Richard Göransson drove first, came to the pitstop and Carl Philip continued until the end of the race.
There was only five cars at Carl Philip's class in this race.
Carl Philip and Richard Göransson came second at the race and won their class.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiZAqZ7H_MT/?taken-at=610439042

Carl Philip started the second race, and at the pitstop Richard Göransson came to the car. He had to retire, according to him likely due to a driveshaft failure.

”Our first race went according to plan and to start a season with a victory is of course a dream coming true. This was our first race with the Lotus and we have gained tons of data that we will work hard with ahead of the coming round at Anderstorp, a race that I am looking forward to,” said Prince Carl Philip.
Victory for Lotus Cyan Racing in first Swedish GT race of 2018 _ Geely Group Motorsport

Last edited:
Press release from Wednesday
A World Champion joins Prince Carl Philip at ex-F1 circuit Anderstorp
The reigning World Champion of touring car racing, Thed Björk, is going to join Prince Carl Philip at Lotus Cyan Racing for this weekend’s Swedish GT round at the former F1 circuit Anderstorp in Sweden.
The race takes place exactly 40 years since the last Formula 1 race was held at Anderstorp when Swedish racing legend Ronnie Peterson clinched a podium finish for the official Lotus F1 team.
“I am delighted to be back racing in Sweden this year and to continue helping Prince Carl Philip with his strong progress in the Swedish GT. The Lotus Evora GT4 is a new experience for me, I have tested it and my impressions were positive. The car is well-balanced and inspiring to drive,” said Thed Björk.
Prince Carl Philip started the season strongly with a victory in the first race at Knutstorp in May and is keen to improve further at Anderstorp.
“We had an encouraging start to the new season and Lotus programme that I look forward to continue building on this weekend. Anderstorp is a classic Swedish racing circuit with a lot of history and it is one of my favourites,” said Prince Carl Philip.
A World Champion joins Prince Carl Philip at ex-F1 circuit Anderstorp _ Cyan Racing

Carl Philip and Thed Björk were 9th on the test

Thed Björk was 10th overall and 4th in their class at the first qualifying
Carl Philip was 11th overall and 6th in their class at the second qualifying (he was clearly slower than Thed Björk)

Top five in tough Anderstorp qualifying for Lotus Cyan Racing
Lotus Cyan Racing drivers Thed Björk and Prince Carl Philip secured fifth on the grid in the GTB class for the first Swedish GT race at Anderstorp after a two tough qualifying sessions.
“This is a circuit that does not suit our car that well and I think the qualifying result is about what we could expect. We are still in an okay position for the races tomorrow when things are going to change completely as we are expecting a lot of rain in contrast to today’s dry track,” said Thed Björk.
Prince Carl Philip secured sixth position in the GTB class in the Q2 session and says that he is looking for more in the two races tomorrow.
“I hoped for a better result and we had some issues during the day. But just as Thed said, we are in for totally different conditions tomorrow and we will just have to adapt to it as best we can. We have made progress with the car during the day and I hope that we can climb the order in both races,” said Prince Carl Philip.
Top five in tough Anderstorp qualifying for Lotus Cyan Racing _ Cyan Racing

Carl Philip and Thed Björk were 7th overall and 5th in their class at the first race. Thed Björk drove first and came to pit as 4th in their class, then they changed drivers and Carl Philip drove the last part.

Carl Philip and Thed Björk were 4th overall and 2nd in their class at the second race. Carl Philip drove first and after the pitstop Thed Björk continued.

Prince Carl Philip will be back behind the wheel with Lotus Cyan Racing this weekend as the Swedish GT series resumes at Gelleråsen Arena in Sweden after the summer break.
“I have very much been looking forward to start racing the Lotus Evora GT4 again and my goal is to return to the podium this weekend. I have had some of my best results in the past at this circuit and the progress we made in the previous race has boosted my confidence,” said Prince Carl Philip.
Prince Carl Philip will once again have the reigning touring car world champion Thed Björk alongside him in the car at Gelleråsen Arena.
The team is moving into the final part of the season with Prince Carl Philip currently placed third overall in the championship after one victory and a podium finish so far.
“We are still well within range of the championship lead and our goal for the season is unchanged in terms of fighting for the GTB title,” said Prince Carl Philip.
Prince Carl Philip returns to Swedish GT action this weekend _ Cyan Racing

Carl Philip is driving this weekend with Thed Björk. Björk was driving first at the qualification this morning, Carl Philip should have continued when Björk would have pitted. A car went off at turn 1, and a marshal was injured. Björk was then P1 in their class and P6 overall. The session was stopped and an ambulance and police was called at 11.53. Just before 14.00 the police told that the 74-year old man had passed away. The attendees at the track have wished that the competitions should continue.
Man död efter allvarlig olycka på Gelleråsen - nwt.se - Ditt Värmland, just nu

The latest news are that they should continue at 15.00.

Carl Philip and Thed Björk have this weekend raced in Rudskogen, Norway

Press release ahead of the races:
Swedish GT fight heats up with penultimate round in Norway for Prince Carl Philip
The fight for the 2018 Swedish GT title heats up for Lotus Cyan Racing drivers Prince Carl Philip and Thed Björk as the championship heads for its penultimate round of the year at Rudskogen in Norway.
Prince Carl Philip climbed to second place in the championship after a strong previous round at Gelleråsen Arena in his Lotus Evora GT4 and has so far this year claimed one win and four podium finishes.
“I was disappointed that we didn’t get a win in the last race as we had the speed for it but I was at the same time encouraged by the vital steps forward we took with the car. I have a good feeling ahead of Rudskogen, the team is working hard and I know we have what it takes to win again,” said Prince Carl Philip.
Swedish GT fight heats up with penultimate round in Norway for Prince Carl Philip _ Cyan Racing

Carl Philip and Thed Björk were 8th overall at the test on Saturday

At the qualifying Carl Philip and Thed Björk got second place at the first qualifying and pole position at their class at the second qualifying.
At the first race of the weekend on Saturday Carl Philip and Thed Björk came third in their class.
Podium and pole for Lotus Cyan Racing in Norway
Lotus Cyan Racing drivers Prince Carl Philip and Thed Björk secured pole position and a podium finish in the first day of the Swedish GT weekend at Rudskogen in Norway.
“We had an unfortunate error during the pit stop that cost us valuable time and that is frustrating. I was however very pleased with the balance and speed of the car in the wet which is promising for the race tomorrow with more rain expected,” said Prince Carl Philip.
“We were clearly fastest in our class and we know what went wrong during our stop. We are going to be back even stronger tomorrow,” said Thed Björk.
Podium and pole for Lotus Cyan Racing in Norway _ Cyan Racing

At the second race of the weekend on Sunday Carl Philip and Thed Björk came also third.
Lotus Cyan Racing fights crashes and torrential rain to double podium in Norway
The Lotus Cyan Racing duo of Prince Carl Philip and Thed Björk fought hard in their toughest Swedish GT race weekend of 2018 at Rudskogen in Norway with both crashes and torrential rain to claim a second consecutive double podium finish.
“This was one of the toughest race weekends we have had and to come away with a double podium is under the circumstances ok. I am not happy with the incidents and mistakes but what I bring with me to the season finale is my pole position in the wet,” said Prince Carl Philip.
“We didn’t get the result that we hoped for and that we had the speed for. A podium finish provides some consolation but I’m looking ahead to the next race where I hope we get revenge and claim a double victory,” said Thed Björk.
Lotus Cyan Racing fights crashes and torrential rain to double podium in Norway _ Cyan Racing

Carl Philip is second in his class before the season finale at Mantorp Park in Sweden on September 21-22.
https://www.stcc.se/poang/swedish-gt-gtb/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BngrCxnAItR/?taken-at=913199640

It was a tough first day of the season finale to Carl Philip and Thed Björk.
At the test they were P2 in class and P7 overall.

Technical issues made the Swedish GT season finale qualifying at Mantorp Park difficult for the Lotus Cyan Racing duo of Prince Carl Philip and Thed Björk, claiming sixth position in class in both sessions.
"We lost power in the car due to the issues, as well as vital time working on the setup of the car. It's unfortunate but we will keep fighting and hope to climb in the races tomorrow," said Prince Carl Philip.
Tough season finale qualifying following technical issues _ Geely Group Motorsport

At today's first race Carl Philip and Thed Björk had to retire.
Thed Björk was P7 and class P3 when he pitted and Carl Philip continued.
But then Carl Philip had to retire

Despite of a tough weekend Carl Philip managed to get silver at Swedish GT - GTB class this season. At the last race Carl Philip and Thed Björk came sixth at their class. There was a rather few cars at Swedish GT - GTB this season.
Otto Gullberg and Alex Mörner were the champions with 216 points.
Carl Philip got 128 points. Carl Philip raced mostly with Thed Björk, at only one weekend the other driver was Richard Göransson.
Prince Carl Philip secures silver medal in Swedish GT season finale _ Geely Group Motorsport

Back
Top Bottom