Prince Albert II and the Princely House of Thurn und Taxis 3: 2011 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only heard the name once, some witch in Harry Potter is called Mafalda.

Maria Theresia's aunt Mafalda, sister of Johannes, died when MT was 8 or 9 years old. Maybe she named her daughter in her memory?

:previous:
There have been a few royal ladies named Mafalda in the past:
- Princess Mafalda von Thurn und Taxis (1924-1989), sister of the late Fürst Johannes;
- Infanta Mafalda of Portugal (1898-1918), aunt of Johannes and Mafalda von T. u. T.;
- Queen Mafalda of Portugal, born Princess of Savoy (1125-1157), wife of King Alfonso I of Portugal;
- Infanta Mafalda of Portugal (1149-1160), daughter of King Alfonfo I and Queen Mafalda;
- Landgravine Mafalda of Hesse-Kassel, born Princess of Savoy (1902-1944);
- Princess Mafalda of Hesse-Kassel (b. 1965).

Both Infanta Mafalda of Portugal (1898-1918) and Princess Mafalda of Savoy (1902-1944) were named after their namesake ancestor Queen Mafalda of Portugal (in the case of Mafalda of Savoy, the name was chosen also because her godmother was her great-aunt Maria Pia, Queen of Portugal).

Congratulations to the couple! :flowers: I'd love to see a photo of little Mafalda. I wonder if she has any middle names.

There have been a few royal ladies named Mafalda in the past:
- Princess Mafalda von Thurn und Taxis (1924-1989), sister of the late Fürst Johannes;
- Infanta Mafalda of Portugal (1898-1918), aunt of Johannes and Mafalda von T. u. T.;
- Queen Mafalda of Portugal, born Princess of Savoy (1125-1157), wife of King Alfonso I of Portugal;
- Infanta Mafalda of Portugal (1149-1160), daughter of King Alfonfo I and Queen Mafalda;
- Landgravine Mafalda of Hesse-Kassel, born Princess of Savoy (1902-1944);
- Princess Mafalda of Hesse-Kassel (b. 1965).

Both Infanta Mafalda of Portugal (1898-1918) and Princess Mafalda of Savoy (1902-1944) were named after their namesake ancestor Queen Mafalda of Portugal (in the case of Mafalda of Savoy, the name was chosen also because her godmother was her great-aunt Maria Pia, Queen of Portugal).

Thanks for the list. At first I was surprised by their choice but after reading this, it appears that Mafalda is more common within the royal world than I thought. Of course I don't know for sure but I think that if Mafalda is honouring someone, it's most likely honouring Infanta Mafalda of Portugal or Princess Mafalda von Thurn und Taxis.

Last edited:
How is the name pronounced? I don't remember ever seeing or hearing it before. Is it MA fall da or ma FALL da or what? Just curious.

Elisabeth attended the Creatures Of The Wind fashion show during Spring 2016 New York Fashion Week on September 10 and the Rodarte Spring 2016 show on September 15:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Elisabeth at the Chanel Exhibition Party at Saatchi Gallery in London on October 12 (1) and at the Frieze Art Fair in London on October 13 (2):

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Gloria von Thurn und Taxis first visited the Palace of St. Emmeram in Regensburg, Germany, as the 19-year-old date of its owner, Johannes, 11th Prince of Thurn und Taxis, a descendant of the first postmaster of the Holy Roman Empire. Her own parents, both titled Europeans, fled to Africa just after the Second World War to escape the advancing Soviet armies, leaving everything behind. She met the 53-year-old Johannes in 1979, and the pair were soon married.

Princess Gloria "TNT" cut a striking figure—mixing formal eveningwear with new wave hairdos—and a wide swath through 1980s society, making friends with American artists Keith Haring and Jeff Koons, and throwing a series of extravagant parties.

Upon her husband's death, in 1990, she inherited the estate— and half a billion dollars' worth of debt. Now a devout Catholic, Gloria has turned the family's fortunes around and restored the palace to its former glory, all while raising three children.
Read more: The Punk Princess Who Restored the Palace at Regensburg

Last edited:
A tv-interview with Fuerstin Gloria for Dutch tv, broadcasted yesterday:

TV Show kijk je op npo.nl

The interview with the princess starts after 27 minutes.

Thanks for the link!:flowers:
St Emmeram is magnificent. The upkeep surely costs a fortune.

On a different note, what was the gist of the interview?

Last edited:
The show is a feel-good one, so the interviewer goes through her life with the princess with a funny anecdote here and there ('my glasses are my new decolete' or 'men should give their money to their wives as they will spend it all in the cafe'). I suppose the Fuerstin showed her palace in the hope that Dutch tourists in the region will also visit St. Emmeran.

They spoke about the marriage to Prince Johannes, about who she is very positive: 'fascinating', 'a man of the world' etc. They spoke about some statements that she made which were meant as a joke. About Michael Jackson, about relegion and about the driving carreer of her son.

Yesterday, November 17, Elisabeth attended the Moda Operandi Holiday dinner hosted by Lauren Santo Domingo in London:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Gloria presented the book 'The House of Thurn Und Taxis' in New York City yesterday, December 8. Elisabeth was present as well:

** gettyimages gallery **

On January 26 Elisabeth was seen at the 'Memphis' Fine jewelry collection launch as part of Paris Fashion Week, one day earlier she had attended the Christian Dior Haute Couture Spring Summer 2016 show also in Paris:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Elisabeth attended a VIP dinner celebrating the launch of Mrs. Alice for French Sole at Annabel's in London on February 2:

** Pic **

Busy fashion days in London for Elisabeth:

She attended a dinner to celebrate the launch of a luggage collection designed by Sofia Sanchez de Betak at Casa Cruz on February 19 (1), she attended the Emilia Wickstead fashion show (2) and the Naked Heart Foundation's Fabulous Fund Fair at Old Billingsgate Market on February 20 (3), she was among the guests at the Anya Hindmarch AW16 show (4) and attended as mytheresa and Burberry celebrated the new MYT Woman at Thomas's on February 21 (5).

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

On February 22 Elisabeth attended the Erdem LFW show at The Old Selfridges Hotel in London and these days she's in Paris for the Paris Fashion Week Womenswear Fall/Winter 2016/2017 and was seen at the Christian Dior show yesterday, March 4:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Busy fashion days in London for Elisabeth:

She attended a dinner to celebrate the launch of a luggage collection designed by Sofia Sanchez de Betak at Casa Cruz on February 19 (1), she attended the Emilia Wickstead fashion show (2) and the Naked Heart Foundation's Fabulous Fund Fair at Old Billingsgate Market on February 20 (3), she was among the guests at the Anya Hindmarch AW16 show (4) and attended as mytheresa and Burberry celebrated the new MYT Woman at Thomas's on February 21 (5).

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

Does anyone know who she is with in images 1 and 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom