Official Visit From France: 3-4 April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do you expect the countries to do? They are just polite.

Well that's my point. Other countries are eager to please their host by including the partner of the Head of State in the protocol. Everyone seems ok with it... so why searching something inadequate in this situation ? (with such strong terms with that).

The French government and President Hollande manoeuvre their colleagues from various countries into an awkward position

It's not awkward, it's not disrespectful. It's the modern life. Mrs Trierweiler is not a girlfriend, she has been the civil partner of Mr Hollande for several years. As pointed out the situation in Germany is quite the same. It's somewhat refreshing to see the protocol updated like this...

Last edited:
:previous:
I wonder whether or not the Windsors will amend the protocol. I guess we shall see. Europeans care very little about the normal politeness. Putting people into an awkward situation is utter mauvais ton to me.

Europeans care very little about the normal politeness. Putting people into an awkward situation is utter mauvais ton to me.

I'm sorry to say that as often Al_bina you're so patronizing...
Anyway the protocol is an institution, as such it needs some evolution to survive. Years ago several protocols, including the french one, excluded the divorcees. Thankfully it's not the case anymore. So why not include life partners ? And why not, in the future, same sex life partners ? It's an interesting debate.

As fot the Windsors, it's the turn to the French to be the hosts... so if we have a state visit from HM to France in the near future, you'll see Mrs Trierweiler as hostess at the Elysee Palace.

Either marry her or keep her out of your public life I say. She's viewed as 'the mistress' which is an awful thing to have hung over your head.

Arf ladies you're obsessed with marriage ... ;););)
(Utterly provocative i know):ROFLMAO:

Either marry her or keep her out of your public life I say. She's viewed as 'the mistress' which is an awful thing to have hung over your head.

Dont't live in the middle ages thank God!:)

The fact that Ms. Trierweiler, an OFFICIAL partner, is seen as a mistress by some, leaves my speechless. It isn´t a question of umpoliteness. It isn´t like if the French President is making State Visits with a different woman each time.

She´s his partner, for God shake. Why some f***** papers mean so much for people? Nobody should be forced to get married to please others.

Last edited:
So, if protocol it is not important, if marriage is not important....Now a president or a a king can go on official visits with an official partner....This is the end of protocol and social rules.

Of course nobody should be forced to get married.... But MARRIAGE IS IMPORTANT !!!! ....AND SOCIAL RULES ARE IMPORTANT TOO !!!!!!

If they dont want to get married, for me it is perfect... but in that case, President Hollande should travel alone.

Last edited:
I was thinking that I am the only who found Mrs Trierweiler situation odd
Code:
:D
but here what I think:it's to the french ppl to decide about that if they fing is ok the president girlfriend play the rule first lady and like nit so why not.

anyway thank you all for the pics and the videos I enjoy them very much,it was nice to see Lalla salma and Mohammed VI kids Moulay hassan was a sweetheart on the first day he acted very well and like alittle professional prince i also liked the pics of Moulay hassan and his mom chating.
however I missed Lalla asma.

some nice pics from the visit
Valérie Trierweiler : Voilée au côté de François Hollande au mausolée Mohammed V
Lalla Salma du Maroc: Aux petits soins pour Moulay Hassan et Valérie Trierweiler
Lalla Salma du Maroc somptueuse, Moulay El Hassan chic pour François Hollande

Beside the protocol thing, I think the elegance and politeness is in respect of other's culture and religion without causing them embarassement. Your rules are not their rules. When you visit a Muslim country, you don't go accompanied by your girlfriend or partner if you are not married. I wonder how it would be if you see the Gulf Royals making official visits to weastern countries accompanied by their four wives???

More pictures from this visit here in Lalla Salma's page in FB:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blog-Lalla-Salma/186174821421465?fref=ts

Last edited:
The menu sounded delectable, especially the salad part.

I find this picture so cute :) [url]http://i48.tinypic.com/5zgyds.jpg
beautiful pic thanks for posting:flowers:

Lalla salma give a acaftan as a gift to Mdame Valérie Trierweiler.

I am sure Hollande enjoyed getting out of France and going somewhere that people might actually cheer him or at least not boo him.

Beside the protocol thing, I think the elegance and politeness is in respect of other's culture and religion without causing them embarassement. Your rules are not their rules. When you visit a Muslim country, you don't go accompanied by your girlfriend or partner if you are not married. I wonder how it would be if you see the Gulf Royals making official visits to weastern countries accompanied by their four wives???

Funny enough, no one here was offended by France's first Lady accompanying President Hollande. The point is moot then. Official visits are meticulously prepared, if anything was deemed offending it would have been smoothed ages before anyone knew even about the visit. A long standing conflicting engagement, a personal emergency, the classic not attending "for personal reasons" etc..

If the (muslim) Moroccan side was not offended, I don't see why the fuss. Anyway, the French democratically elected an unmarried man in a stable relationship, and could have elected his ex-partner with whom he has kids, so it's really a callous thing to raise the point. Respect for culture, beliefs and religion goes both ways.

I think Lesotho's King's multiple wives are extended the same curtsey abroad, as would be the four wives of any Muslim head of state, and as it will be the case sooner or later, the same-sex partner, husband or wife, of a gay head of state.

Back
Top Bottom