Belgian Official Visit to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC): 7-13 June 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marika86

Heir Apparant, Royal Blogger
City
Villa San Giovanni
Country
Italy
At the invitation of the President of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), His Excellency Félix Antoine Tshisekedi Tshilombo, Their Majesties the King and Queen are making an official visit to the DRC from Sunday, March 6 to Thursday, March 10. They are accompanied by the Prime Minister, Alexander De Croo, the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs, Sophie Wilmès, and the Minister of Development Cooperation, Meryame Kitir.

https://www.monarchie.be/nl/agenda/democratische-republiek-congo-drc
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLt-58bXMAIM9a8?format=jpg&name=900x900

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be a fascinating visit.

Was this visit postponed during the lockdowns and restrictions?

Hoo boy. This will be a little more than a standard visit.

Did Albert and Paola ever go while he was reigning? Everyone else after Leopold II did at some point or another.

Hoo boy. This will be a little more than a standard visit.

Did Albert and Paola ever go while he was reigning? Everyone else after Leopold II did at some point or another.

King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola visited the Congo. I don't know about Albert and Paola.

King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola visited the Congo. I don't know about Albert and Paola.

Yes, in 2010, for 50 years independence: https://www.demorgen.be/nieuws/koning-royaal-ontvangen-in-congo~bb5878ee/

It is quite alike hobbyism with a colour printer. And why two date stamps on an invitation instead of just printing the date?

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Yes: a demi-parure consisting a diamond collier, a diamond bracelet and a pair of diamond earhangers: https://www.demorgen.be/nieuws/koni...dent-kabila-tijdens-reis-naar-congo~b2872a8b/

It will be interesting to see if Queen Mathilde will wear this gift.

I know if there was some negative comment around this gift at the time, but if the gift has been declared and made public, I see no reason why the current and future Queen's cannot wear the jewellery in the future.

I know if there was some negative comment around this gift at the time, but if the gift has been declared and made public, I see no reason why the current and future Queen's cannot wear the jewellery in the future.

It is seen as s set with "blood diamonds", with Congo having the record of the most horrific working circumstances for kids to dig in mines searching for diamonds, treated with brutality and without human rights. These mines are usually exploited by warlords to fincance their internal tribal fights. And the then president, Kabila, was such a war lord, with the largest contingents of childrens' armies. His father was the one who did a coup against President Mobutu. Best advice is never to touch these diamonds.

Same category as the diamonds of Bokassa, given to Valéry Giscard d'Estaing. It did cost him his re-election as President of France...

Last edited:
The official visit has been postponed, it was announced by the Palace today, February 28:

** Press release **

Due to the invasion of Ukraine and the crisis it is generating, it has been decided, in close consultation with HE Félix Antoine Tshisekedi Tshilombo, President of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), to postpone the visit of Their Majesties the King and Queen scheduled in the DRC from March 6 to 10 to a later date

A new date for the official visit has been found: It will take place from June 7 to June 13, 2022, it was announced today.

** twitter post **

Last edited:
That's good news that a new date has been set for the visit :previous:

He is the first King of the Belgians to express this .
Never Kings Albert I , Leopold III, Baudouin and Albert II before

He expressed 'regrets' 2 years ago as well. In Congo they were hoping for an apology but that will apparently have to wait until another time.

He expressed 'regrets' 2 years ago as well. In Congo they were hoping for an apology but that will apparently have to wait until another time.

Regrets are for happenig in the Past , Excuses are for happening know. That was told in our newepapers.

The King expressed "regrets" for the past, but, in his speech, he said Belgium supports the territorial integrity of the DRC (which is OK), and then hinted at military cooperation with the Congolese government to fight separatist movements in Eastern Congo. Doesn't the latter amount to foreign interference in internal affairs of the DRC? It looks like Belgium is still behaving like a colonial power then.

He can only offer excuses when it is backed up by the government. There is a commission going on about that so it was to be expected that excuses where not presented (yet).

It is not enough to say there are "regrets" but action needs to be taken. Belgium benefitted significantly from exploitation of the DRC . Perhaps now relationships can be formed that benefits the DRC economically. For ex. Scholarships for students from the DRC to study in Belgium, work-trade programs for DRC students or new grads...whatever opportunities there are it should be given.

I wish they also visited nearby Rwanda and Burundi, which also became Belgian colonies after World War I.

Back
Top Bottom