Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Princess Nathalie name her son in HONOR of her uncle, King Constantine.
Konstantin must be the German version of the name.
I´ve read somewhere that she named her son in honor of her grandfather or was it brother? But is was someone in the nearer family than just an uncle :)

I don't speak Danish. What's the editor's reasoning for picking Philippa and Magnus? Personally, I'd be surprised by Philippa since it doesn't seem to be a family name and I think the more typical spelling there would be Filippa, anyway. Isn't the diminutive Pippa a vulgar term in Swedish? Magnus seems more reasonable, but that's the little Norwegian prince's regular name.

I think the first names are likely to be like Isabella -- modern-sounding, stylish and with a minimal connection to the family tree. For the boy, I'd guess something like Lukas; for the girl Sofie/Sophie.

I'm still guessing on Johanne and Erik. If they name the little girl Johanne, maybe they'll nickname her Hanne; that would be so cute!

In Billed-Bladet is written than CP Mary's sister Patricia and brother John will attend to Danmark :) It's likely that they will be a goparents :)

Billed-Bladet - Marys søster og bror på vej til Danmark

...and perhaps will be honoured in the names ??..who knows ?

I am looking forward to the names being released..I hope we will see a link to the past with names such as Dagmar, Amelie, Louise and perhaps Knud, Valdemar, Holger ...?? who knows....roll on the 14th and all will bhe revealed..

I don't speak Danish. What's the editor's reasoning for picking Philippa and Magnus? Personally, I'd be surprised by Philippa since it doesn't seem to be a family name and I think the more typical spelling there would be Filippa, anyway. Isn't the diminutive Pippa a vulgar term in Swedish? Magnus seems more reasonable, but that's the little Norwegian prince's regular name.

I think the first names are likely to be like Isabella -- modern-sounding, stylish and with a minimal connection to the family tree. For the boy, I'd guess something like Lukas; for the girl Sofie/Sophie.

Philippa is still a name after a danish queen Philippa of England - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Boy:
1)Frederick
2)Tom
3)Ken
4)Mike
5)Eddie
6)Paul
7)Andrew
8)Michael
9)Donald
10)Carl
11)Alexandar
12)Philip

Girl:
1)Elizabeth
2)Margarthe
3)Alexandra
4)Tessy
5)Ellen
6)Mandy
7)Shanice
8)Candy
9)Ingrid
10)Jenny
11)Lisa
12)Jane
13)Kitty
14)Nancy

OK, 5 days 'til the big day, I've not written here in a long time (but visited silently a few times during the last weeks) and here are my final thoughts:

- Godparents:

Absolutely no clue. I don't think there will be a lot of royal godparents, because as cute as the twins are, they simply are not important enough to have a lot of royal godparents (I hope you know how I mean it when I talk about "important").

The only one I can think about now is Princess Marie, but just because she is the aunt and not because she is a royal. And maybe, just maybe Prince Daniel. But also not as a royal but just because he is the new husband of a very god friend and in some ways a colleague of the twins father. I hope you get what I mean with "not as a royal". They both are royals. No matter what. But I mean that Fred and Mary won't think "We still need a royal godparent in the mix, so let's take Marie and Daniel." but "Marie is new family and Daniel has been a very good friend for years, so let's take them."

Apart from that I think there will be mostly very good friends, family or even one or two of their staff (isn't one of Marys ladys-in-waiting / court lady (whatever the right term ist) a godmother of Christian or Isabella?) as possible godparents.

- Names:

Well, weeks ago I was in love with the name TRISTAN for the little prince. I still am but I know it's to similar to Christian so I'm sure it won't be Tristan after all.

My boys favorite is therefore MAGNUS. It sounds strong and self confident and also northern. Although we all know it doesn't have to be a northern name. After all they surprised all of us with "Isabella". ;-)

And just because it's also a northern name and more importantly the name of my "first boyfriend" (we were a "couple" when we were around 4 to 6 years old *lol*) I throw the name OLAF into the mix.

While changing my boys name favorite on the last moment I won't budge from my girls name favorites. They're still MATHILDA and MAGDALENA.

I cant't wait 'til thursday and I hope there will be a good stream available (which my old notebook is able to show because my new one died two weeks ago *cry*)

Last edited:
^i understand very well your thoughts.
and for the twins i doubt we are going to see lots of royal members, almost each of them are full on their agenda. with christian it was diferent cause he was the first child and future heir, and isabella was the spare as well a huge celebration on being born a girl in denmark.
princess marie is for sure, not cause shes "royal", but because shes the aunt, and prince daniel, perhaps, hes a good friend of the couple.

and the name tristan, i love that name, so historical and medieval, i also mentioned the name a lot of pages ago alongside Mathilde/a. they are my favourite:flowers:

Well, for those interested: De Kongelige Tvillinger. http://www.monthuset.dk
Royal Mint has made 5.000 coins to commemorate the christening of Elvis & Shirley.

They are numbered and covered (no, not massive...) in 24 carats gold.
This is apparently the first in a series called The Regents of Denmark.

Boy : Prince Alexander or Prince Arthur
middle name : Frederik

Girl : middle name : Astrid

I guess I can't see them going all the way back to a medieval English queen as a namesake for their daughter unless they really loved the name Philippa for some reason. Philippa had no children and wasn't an ancestor of the children. That's one I'd probably cross off the list of possibilities.

On the other hand, Wikipedia has a list of old Danish monarchs and consorts that is sort of interesting. Some are so ugly to modern ears that I can't imagine them picking them.

Boy: Gorm, Harald, Svend, Knud, Magnus, Oluf, Erik, Niels, Valdemar, Abel, Christoffer
Girl: Thyra, Gyrid, Gunhild, Sigrid, Ælfgifu, Emma, Gyda, Gunnhildr, Margareta, Adela, Ingegerd, Boedil, Malmfred, Lutgard, Helena, Sophia, Gertrude, Dagmar, Berengaria, Eleanor, Jutta, Matilda, Agnes, Ingeborg, Euphemia, Richardis, Helvig, Dorothea, Christina, Anna, Sophie, Kirsten, Amalie, Charlotte, Louise, Elisabeth, Magdalene, Caroline, Frederica, Vilhelmine, Alexandrine, Ingrid.

I would guess that the names, at least the middle names, would come from somewhere on that list, but I still think it's going to be a name that sounds attractive to Mary's Australian ears: Sophie, Charlotte, Amalie, Caroline, Louise or Emma. If it matters to them that other young royals have similar names, they might cross off a few of those. I think the boy's name will come straight off the top 20 chart and the middle names will be traditional.

An article from BT regarding the expences in connection with the christening. Kronprinsen sluger regningen, men

It will be M&F who will foot the bill. Lene Balleby, the pr-chief, confirms that QMII will not contribute financially. (*)
The money will come from the amount that is at disposal for M&F personally.
I.e. the amount left when the usual expences are paid. (**) Last year that amounted to around 3.5 million DKK = 636.000 $ = 466.666 £ = 437.500 £.

The Treasury says: "The DRF must find the means for the big event, within the existing economic framework".

The article goes on to point out that the state nevertheless will have some considerable expences in connection with the Christening, as the police presence will be heavy. (***) There will naturally also be other expences.

The article also points out that there will be some income as well. primarily to Copenhagen municipality. There will be an X number of onlookers, who most likely are going to eat and drink something and perhaps spend money in shops, which they otherwise wouldn't.

(*) At least not officially.

(**) Not much different from a family business, where the manager's salary, (and his/her family) is a part of the budget.

(***) In that respect it's no different from the expences in cennection with a large music festival, like the Roskilde festival, an important soccer match, a political summit or a large demonstration.

As you may have observed, the christning isn't far away now and BT caught up with the DRF priest, Erik Normann Svendsen Monday.

De royale tvillinger kaldes 'NN' ved generalprøven - Royale - BT.dk

And he says that Elvis & Shirley are called NN during the dress rehersal. He will not be told the names until shortly before the christening.
- "I too am excited about the names, because I'm not told until the last moment. If I did get the names beforehand I could risk being lured to saying one of them. So I guess like everybody else".

When he is told, he will not tell anyone, not even his wife.
- "That's not something I will in any way let out. That's equivalent to revealing who is the murderer in a crime novel, before people have read the book.
In that context she (his wife) is no closer to me than everybody else".

He usually has a post-it note with the names.
- "It's definitely certain that I'll have a piece of paper with the names. It wouldn't be good if I fowled up. And, as there are two children and they presumably get several names both of them, it is a bit much to expect from an older gentleman like me, to remember both name by heart".

He has christened more than a 1.000 children and he has also met Elvis and Shirley:
- "Like all children of that age they are adorable".

He characterise M&F as a "seasoned christening-parents", so the planning has been pretty smooth this time. The first christening was of course different, not least for Mary because:
- "The first time the Crown Princess had just arrived from a completely different country with a different Christian church and (she) had to be introduced to how a baptism is performed here in Denmark. This time she's completely in line with everybody else, language-wise and (she) has tried it several times. So the insecurity she must have felt, eventhough she doesn't show it, I don't think exists any more".

Last edited:
I haven`t guessed yet, so I`ll try now:

Ida Alexandrine Elizabeth Frederikke
Carl Axel Andre Frederik

I like the C-I-C-I combination. And I hope Mathilde, which was suggested here many times, will not be chosen as it`s one of my least favourite names.

I haven`t guessed yet, so I`ll try now:

Ida Alexandrine Elizabeth Frederikke
Carl Axel Andre Frederik

I like the C-I-C-I combination. And I hope Mathilde, which was suggested here many times, will not be chosen as it`s one of my least favourite names.

Beautiful names you have chosen (cough my daugter is named Ida :flowers: )
I like Carl too and the rest names are sweet too

Carl is already one of little Prince Henrik's names - his second to be exact, so I don't think it would be used. I will be very surprised if Mary's name isn't among her daughter's four names, but I think we can expect Frederik's name to be amongst the boy's, since it's tradition.

Girl:
Johanne Charlotte Mary Alexandrine

Boy:
Erik René Alexander Frederik

And we have a gallery from BT of the first official christening present for Elvis and Shirley: Her er de royale tvillingers første gave | www.bt.dk

A playhouse, which was delivered to Fredensborg Palace today.
The playhouse is a gift from the municipality of Fredensborg.
It's now up to M&F where they will place the new playhouse.
As far as I can tell from the pictures it's placed within the secure area of Fredensborg.

- M&F, or rather their children, already have a playhouse which was placed in their garden at Fredenborg a year or two ago.
As the old playhouse, which was a copy of Marseliborg Manor, is seen in the background, this appears to be some kind of playground. Because the building in the background is Kancellihuset. (I'm looking at a Google view and I've counted chimneys. - Yeah, quiet evening at work!).
For those in the know, it's almost exactly where "F" is.
Perhaps they'll place it in their garden at Amalienborg or at Trend, where they seem to go fairly often?

Last edited:
Tomorrow with be here soon enough for us to know the names of those 2 special children

Tomorrow with be here soon enough for us to know the names of those 2 special children

I am going with:-

Boy - Sebastian Andre christian john
Girl - Charlotte Elizabeth Patricia Marie

We are close now, and the final preparations are in full swing.
Forberedelser til dåb udløste politialarm - Danmark - BT.dk
That can lead to problems!
Holmens Church is located near the National Bank and from there a team of workmen were observed busy digging five meters outside, causing some suspicion. (*) The police arrived in full gear and fully armed, only to learn that the workmen, really were workmen and that they were busy laying down cables for the transmission tomorrow, both for TV, but also very much for those watching on the Net.

The weather forecast for tomorrow says sunny but somewhat chilly, 12 degrees C.

(*) I can well imagine it! Road workers, let alone TDC workes, visibly moving is such a novel sight that it's bound to cause suspicion. :p

Every media worth mentioning here in DK, have begun to write about the christening.

In this case from TV2: Kongehus tavs om dbskjole nummer to - TV 2 Nyhederne
- Which write that the court is silent in regards to the christening gowns and how to solve that one. They have previously primarily used a very old gown, but this time there are two, so...

But of more interest to this forum perhaps are the five galleries of previous christenings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom