Moroccan dresses and their influence in the fashion!

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandmother, who is of Karachai nationality, used to have a silver belt similar to those worn by Moroccan princesses. It was very beautiful and quite heavy.

abir said:
I notice as well that the princesses' dresses look different from what some designers offer ... So I guess some Moroccan fashion outfits can't be worn

I see your point of view,the moroccan princesses didn't use to wear "not very coverd" or sleevless outfits,but there's some models which they can wear,if you see my posts before,you can see that princess lalla meryem,wore a caftan/takchita made by the designer Zhor rayes.

abir said:
... So I guess some Moroccan fashion outfits can't be worn....

....can't be worn?:confused: ,this is a big word,why?what's wrong with the moroccan fashion?,we already saw fashion outfits made by designers with unlikely and incredible style, and worn by celebrities and some royals,and those moroccan caftans from contemporary designers look very humble comparing to them:D

Last edited:
rosa said:
in the majority of the models I don't recognize the caftan as I appreciate it,
to modernize it is a good thing but there I find that the costume is denatured
one of the only models that pleased me

I see what u meant rosa,but actually everybody has his own taste,and not all like to wear heavy design as used to be the moroccan traditional caftans:heavy embroidery,and falashing styling with ample tailoring !

The contemporary moroccan designers undertook the task of making from the moroccan caftan an outfit which could be worn by people from different cultures!

As for the denaturating thing, i don't agree,when i see a caftan from designers it's still a caftan,the features of the traditional caftan are preserved(two pieces,the slits of the underpiece till the knee,and the slits of the ovepiece till the waist,and the embroidery through the center of the underpiece from the top to the bottom,the belt....)

Last edited:
Why you understand a dress can't be worn is a "Big word" ???!!!

Yes, to my opinion some Moroccan fashion dresses can't be worn ... like some other fashion dresses around the world ...
Some designers present few outfits just for creativity/fun/show ... and if a client loves a model the designer has to modify it so that it can be worn. We saw many examples of that on Rania dresses.
So this what I meant by "some Moroccan fashion outfits can't be worn" ... it's personal opinion; some ladies can wear anything, others don't.

Also we have to remember that FASHION is not made for the majority of the population ... this is true in occident as well in ME/Arab countries.
Not anyone can afford a dress which costs thousands of dollars .... so this again led to the same conclusion: "Some Moroccan fashion outfits can't be worn".

I post down some of those.

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 447
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 177
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 195
  • radia3.gif
    radia3.gif
    57.4 KB · Views: 438
  • albatoul3.gif
    albatoul3.gif
    60.7 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
Al_bina said:
My grandmother, who is of Karachai nationality, used to have a silver belt similar to those worn by Moroccan princesses. It was very beautiful and quite heavy.
Thanks Al_bina for the post; it’s an interesting information.
Interesting as we know the humanity' age is of thousands of years; people were moving around and exchanging habits/cultures/etc.

rosa said:
in the majority of the models I don't recognize the caftan as I appreciate it,
to modernize it is a good thing but there I find that the costume is denatured
one of the only models that pleased me
From pictures posted here, I see big variety of Moroccan fashion dresses; I believe it’s due to designer’s work/creativity or/and background and inspiration.

In one the website posted before, I read that some designers:
- prefer to keep the dress traditional (2 pieces, slits, etc).
- others like to modernise it.
- others they add more or less touches from other cultures by inspiration (from Japan, India, Turkey, Pharaoh, etc).
- others they add touches from their regions like North or South of Morocco.

However Morocco influences others … and its designers get influenced as well.

abir said:
Yes, to my opinion some Moroccan fashion dresses can't be worn ... like some other fashion dresses around the world ...
QUOTE]

fine for SOME,but i believe that there's always people with incridible and extravagent taste who could like some of the examples you posted before:) ,you can make a sight at the most terrible thread:http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=178774#post178774,and you can see that there's many royals,and some celibreties of the show-biz who could ware unlikely outfits ,comparing to what you posted,it looks very humble.:D !

It's only a question of taste!

abir said:
Also we have to remember that FASHION is not made for the majority of the population ... this is true in occident as well in ME/Arab countries.
Not anyone can afford a dress which costs thousands of dollars .... QUOTE]

The moroccan fashion is not an exception,it's not made for all people but if the majority of people could not wear caftans from designers,they could be inspired by them,as we know "ZARA,H&M,Mango are in hands of majority of people,but their collections are always inspired by the collections from fashion designers!:)

Staying in the exception thing,the exception of the moroccan fashion of the contemporary designers, is that it's inspired from its own traditions:)

abir said:
From pictures posted here, I see big variety of Moroccan fashion dresses; I believe it’s due to designer’s work/creativity or/and background and inspiration.

In one the website posted before, I read that some designers:
- prefer to keep the dress traditional (2 pieces, slits, etc).
- others like to modernise it.
- others they add more or less touches from other cultures by inspiration (from Japan, India, Turkey, Pharaoh, etc).
- others they add touches from their regions like North or South of Morocco.

However Morocco influences others … and its designers get influenced as well.

as I said it to modernize is a good thing (a kaftan less long and less large, use a modern cloth, made a more moderns coll and sleeves) as well as to add touchs of different regions of morocco (I saw some kaftans with magnificent Berber embroideries), but I think that when it is about traditional garment it is necessary to know how to preserve the authenticity of the clothes
the Moroccan dressmakers can express their imagination elsewhere that on the traditional garment

Monalisa said:
fine for SOME,but i believe that there's always people with incridible and extravagent taste who could like some of the examples you posted before:) ,you can make a sight at the most terrible thread:http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=178774#post178774,and you can see that there's many royals,and some celibreties of the show-biz who could ware unlikely outfits ,comparing to what you posted,it looks very humble.:D !

It's only a question of taste!
Yes, that's evident ... there is always some people who wear extravagant cloths because they like to be noticed or want to be different from others ... people don't have same taste nor same reasoning.
An intellectual woman/queen/princess will not wear what an artist wears. The contest is different ... but it's not general.

Monalisa said:
The moroccan fashion is not an exception,it's not made for all people but if the majority of people could not wear caftans from designers,they could be inspired by them,as we know "ZARA,H&M,Mango are in hands of majority of people,but their collections are always inspired by the collections from fashion designers!:)
I think we were speaking about fashion designers of Haute Couture ... not ready to wear which costs few $ or "fashion" copied from big designers, which comes to the market after 4 years.

rosa said:
as I said it to modernize is a good thing (a kaftan less long and less large, use a modern cloth, made a more moderns coll and sleeves) as well as to add touchs of different regions of morocco (I saw some kaftans with magnificent Berber embroideries), but I think that when it is about traditional garment it is necessary to know how to preserve the authenticity of the clothes
the Moroccan dressmakers can express their imagination elsewhere that on the traditional garment
I agree with you rosa. A lot of imagination/inspiration can come with something else than Kaftan ... I saw some which are far away from the formal one.
What I know also is that not all people in the world like to modernise their traditional dress. I read an article about this subject, I post it down with the link :)

Traditional Dress

Despite these and other pressures to adopt Western fashions, many people throughout the world have either maintained or readopted Traditional dress in everyday use, or for selected occasions. Very often Traditional dress has gone through a conversion process from everyday attire, to a fixed formal dress for weddings, government functions, traditional dance, or religious celebrations. Many styles of Traditional dress throughout the world also were, and are, assimilated into Western fashions. Traditional dress is enjoying a "comeback" in some areas of the world, (for example in many Moslem countries) even while losing ground in others. However, numerous examples of Traditional dress have survived into the 21st Century either in their original form, or in modified versions

The reasons for preserving Traditional dress are as various as the reasons for abandoning it. Traditional dress tends to be durable and slow to change, so it discourages consumerism and a need for constant new clothing. Traditional dress reinforces the values that the originating culture holds towards the body and gender, and therefore, is usually consistent with the indigenous religion's teachings on that subject.

Traditional dress is used, even in Western culture, when a statement needs to be made about what the culture regards as unchanging values. This is why traditional dress is used in coronations, investitures, graduations, weddings, funerals, social and religious rites, and why even minor changes to items of dress in these cases can cause serious controversy.

Traditional dress also usually emphasizes the Aesthetic of a particular culture, and tends to best fit and flatter the typical body types of people of that ethnic heritage. Western fashions typically are designed to flatter usual European body types, and often look clunky on people who have different proportions. Traditional dress is also, often, designed for practical use in the climate and conditions of it's area, and may be retained by locals, or even adopted by visiting Westerners because of it's obvious comfort or utility.

From http://www.costumes.org/classes/fashiondress/traditiondress.htm

Monalisa said:
Staying in the exception thing,the exception of the moroccan fashion of the contemporary designers, is that it's inspired from its own traditions:)
An exception???!!!

I heard of Dubai, NEW DELHI, HONG KONG, BEIRUT, SEVILLA, Muscat ... fashion shows/weeks. Down I post some pictures (from gettyimages) of models who wears traditional dresses made by contemporary designers who are inspired from their own traditions. I post few examples. There are many contemporary designers around the world who work with their traditional dresses ... it's not Moroccan exception.

1st- A model displays a traditional costume from the Muscat governorate during a fashion show organized by the Omani Women's Association in the capital Muscat late 15 December 2003.

2nd - Arab models display traditional "gallabiya" dresses designed by Saudi designer Amina al-Jassem in Manama late 03 November 2003.

3rd - Brand Collection Show II appears on stage wearing designs by designer Susie Hedijanto of Indonesia in Hong Kong 21 January 2005.

4th-5th - A model wears a creation by Spanish designer Carmen La Torre during the Simof 'Salon International of Flamenco Fashion' show at the conference centre in Sevilla, Spain, 6 February 2005.

6th - An Indian model displays a creation by Indian fashion designer Meera Muzaffar Ali at the Lakme India fashion Week (LIFW) in New Delhi, 02 May 2004.

7th - A model displays a creation by Kuwaiti fashion designer Adiba El-Mahboub late 12 March 2004 in Beirut.

Attachments

• 2697287.jpg
    2697287.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 472
  • 2813795.jpg
    2813795.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 591
  • 52041742.jpg
    52041742.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 321
  • 52145984.jpg
    52145984.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 260
  • 52145968.jpg
    52145968.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 280
  • 50793694.jpg
    50793694.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 743
  • 3081313.jpg
    3081313.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:
abir said:
I agree with you rosa. A lot of imagination/inspiration can come with something else than Kaftan ... I saw some which are far away from the formal one.
What I know also is that not all people in the world like to modernise their traditional dress. I read an article about this subject, I post it down with the link :)

Traditional Dress

Despite these and other pressures to adopt Western fashions, many people throughout the world have either maintained or readopted Traditional dress in everyday use, or for selected occasions. Very often Traditional dress has gone through a conversion process from everyday attire, to a fixed formal dress for weddings, government functions, traditional dance, or religious celebrations. Many styles of Traditional dress throughout the world also were, and are, assimilated into Western fashions. Traditional dress is enjoying a "comeback" in some areas of the world, (for example in many Moslem countries) even while losing ground in others. However, numerous examples of Traditional dress have survived into the 21st Century either in their original form, or in modified versions

The reasons for preserving Traditional dress are as various as the reasons for abandoning it. Traditional dress tends to be durable and slow to change, so it discourages consumerism and a need for constant new clothing. Traditional dress reinforces the values that the originating culture holds towards the body and gender, and therefore, is usually consistent with the indigenous religion's teachings on that subject.

Traditional dress is used, even in Western culture, when a statement needs to be made about what the culture regards as unchanging values. This is why traditional dress is used in coronations, investitures, graduations, weddings, funerals, social and religious rites, and why even minor changes to items of dress in these cases can cause serious controversy.

Traditional dress also usually emphasizes the Aesthetic of a particular culture, and tends to best fit and flatter the typical body types of people of that ethnic heritage. Western fashions typically are designed to flatter usual European body types, and often look clunky on people who have different proportions. Traditional dress is also, often, designed for practical use in the climate and conditions of it's area, and may be retained by locals, or even adopted by visiting Westerners because of it's obvious comfort or utility.

From http://www.costumes.org/classes/fashiondress/traditiondress.htm

interesting article, thank you abir:)

This thread has now been cleaned up.

It is a very beautiful thread with many beautiful examples of traditional Moroccan dresses. The detailing and embroidery is phenomenal. I hope to see more additions and contributions.

beautiful Takchita :)

Attachments

• caftan.bmp
    149.8 KB · Views: 90
  • souad999913dy.gif
    souad999913dy.gif
    76.7 KB · Views: 860
Last edited:
Alexandria said:
This thread has now been cleaned up.

It is a very beautiful thread with many beautiful examples of traditional Moroccan dresses. The detailing and embroidery is phenomenal. I hope to see more additions and contributions.

Oh thanks a lot alexandria for updating this thread,i was thinking where it was ,especially that today began the yearly big event of moroccan caftans in marrakesh, collections 2005:) ,i'll try to follow it and to post here all news about!

Designers Caftan 2005 Haute couture:

Najia Abadi:

The craftsman and the ambassadress Topic of the collection 2005: the stars never die, as long as their films exist.

FAdwa Al Hamid:

Mysteries of Desert Topic: the marriage of a Saoudi princess.

Zineb Souissi:

Between voyage and Authenticity Topic: a voyage through Morocco, Morocco with the multiple faces: landscapes, colors, reasons, drawing....

Lahoucine Aît El Mehdi:

Berber lovesong Topic: Smart lovesongs nostal' .

Mohamed Lakhdar:

The Fabric Topic: The Queen of Africa .

Achraf Makoudi:

EL Andalous Topic: Return to the Andalusians .

Samira Haddouchi:

The Woman is made Thème queen: the Queens ravel Young talents.

Maria Ouazzani Chahdi:

Promeneuse Topic: "El Habba" of Ouezzane ? Hassan Bouchikhi: 100% House Topic: Jeballarif ? Loujaîne: Fascination Amazighe Topic: Désertitude in Amazigh .

Amine Mohammed Boufi:

a sheet for the statement Topic: the caftan represents it to me, you, the other, it is Morocco in its plurality .

Assia Benabdelah:

a challenge Jebli Topic: Jebli .

Rkia Aît Blal:

a Jewel Topic: Wrap Bijou .

Mohammed Elamine Mrani:

on the traces of a child Topic: Beauty Naturalness .

Zineb Lyoubi Idrissi:

It does master key Grant.

Abdelali Ouled Arab:

Sun raising to the Maghreb.

Bouchra Sbai:

Silk for one evening.

Siham El Habti:

Feelings in Bouquet Creators Craftsmen .

Ihssane Ghailaine:

To release the flowers.

Paul Fayne:

The Multi-ethnic Compromises.

Karima El Alaoui:

Of gold and Bronze.

Dahab Zraiki Ben Aboud:

Further.

Batoul Cain Allah:

Baroque of Chaouen Loan-with-to carry.

Hanane Imani:

loan-with-to carry in Majdoul.

Karim Tassi:

Between Dress And Caftan.

Nabil Dahani:

Simple sensuality.

Fadelah Berrada:

Pinks and their way.

Emaele Duque:

Caftan In Destiny.

Zina B By Naima Bennouna and Zineb Lyoubi Idrissi:

Annoce Freshness the color.

Julia:

Eastern Dance.

Caftan in figures:

Public: 1000 people? A number of creators Haute couture: 7 Morrocans and 1 foreigner? A number of creators craftsmen: 5? A number of files new talents: 60? Numbers new selected pre talents: 12? Selection of new talent ravelling on caftan: 5? A number creative loan-with-to carry: 12? A number of days of processions: 20 + final show? A number of mannequins: 40 women, 3 men? A number of people in back training course (dresser chief, dressers, assistants...): about thirty? A number of behaviours presented: meadows of 300 To read or read again: A festival of American rock'n'roll in Marrakech Marrakech celebrates the 40 years of the Festival of popular arts Nouveau festival in Marrakech.

moroccan desingners:caftan 2004

Albert Oiknine

ligne.gif

Return to the sources

With his traditional Jewish wedding dress, Albert Oiknine returns to more close to the traditional caftan. Academic lines hustled by a work of perlage, embroideries and of sumptuous fabric where “the Albert style” remains recognizable between thousand. The designer equipped a gift confusing with volumes works, this year still, a homage to the Moroccan High-Seam of which it is L’one of the most talented representatives. A work of goldsmith absolutely sublissime...

Attachments

• al12004.JPG
    al12004.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 691
  • al22004.JPG
    al22004.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 260
  • al32004.JPG
    al32004.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 252
moroccan designers:caftan 2004

Nadia Tazi:

ligne.gif

Great South all!

Sparks of the desert and run ground for Nadia Tazi who refashions here a caftan with the references sahraouies. Capes with the graphic details of the great south and embroideries traditional in a camaieu D’but, of chocolate and Bordeaux wine underline a femininity assumed in a cordial atmosphere. The designer flirts passionally with the south under all its seams. A splendid table for a tended and engraved work. Imposing.

Attachments

• nadia T12004.JPG
    nadia T12004.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 233
  • nadia T2 2004.JPG
    nadia T2 2004.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 471
  • nadia T3 2004.JPG
    nadia T3 2004.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 343

Karim Tassi:

ligne.gif

Young Urban Women

Modern caftans, of blacks, pinks and Pasteel for a hard and pure woman protected by a belt jewel “hand from Fatma”. Karim Tassi works a style intended for an urban, smart woman and turning pink brittleness whe. Environment techno for a contemporary caftan. For his first Caftan edition, the maroco-Parisian designer imposes his creativity, his immense talent and his acute direction of the trade. A wind of freedom.

Attachments

• karim T32004.JPG
    karim T32004.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 346
  • karim T22004.JPG
    karim T22004.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 251
  • karim T12004.JPG
    karim T12004.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 202

Lahoucine Aït Al Mahdi:

ligne.gif

Stolen secrecies

An environment dedicated to the secrecies, the memory, childhood with a subtle and coloured work hidden behind the fallen black ones. Sublimate singularity where it is necessary to have patience for finally discovering what is hidden..... Lahoucine Aït Al Mahdi plays with the wheels of our unconscious, elegant fabrics and of colors punchy to wish. With a work of superpositions in the tone blacks covering an infinite feeling with memory with a key of smart English.

Attachments

• lah12004.JPG
    lah12004.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 775
  • lah22004.JPG
    lah22004.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 217
  • lah32004.JPG
    lah32004.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 256

Nabil Dahani:

ligne.gif

Glamourissime

Smart So the touch Audrey Hepburn. Pure fifties, a parisian elegance, line feminissime which redynamism the caftan with happiness. Fuchsia, green bronzes and silky black, the three colors headlight of the pallet, embroideries fine and maâlem delicate install Nabil Dahani on the podium of largest
designers of his generation. Jouissif, funny and brilliance, this fabulous table of caftans so creative are a vigorous blow of whip with anestablished order, furiously original.

Attachments

• nab12004.JPG
    nab12004.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 255
  • nab22004.JPG
    nab22004.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 249
  • nab32004.JPG
    nab32004.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 246

Mohamed Lakhdar:

ligne.gif

Dazzling pallet!

Marvellous direction of the colors, interbreeding of fabrics and fabulous patchwork which always fall to just, Mohamed Lakhdar is a large painter of the caftan. Modern and fabulously tonic, the caftan of Mohamed Lakhdar draws from a marocanity very 21st century when the large capitals of the international mode meet local regionalism without shade of apprehension. Let us note the work of the belts to the reasons “zellige”, so funny and so pretty…

Attachments

• lakh22004.JPG
    lakh22004.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 230
  • lakh32004.JPG
    lakh32004.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 436
  • lakh12004.JPG
    lakh12004.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 695

Samia Berrada:

ligne.gif

the water, the rock and the fire…

Crescendo of colors for a Volcano “topic” with wish. Turquoise green to evoke the element water, blue harms, of cobalt for the rock. And in an apotheosis of breaking lava, reds, all the reds… As of the topic, Samia Berrada proof her strong temperament supported by a know-how to measure of the caftan makes. For his 1st edition, the designer makes her entry by the large door of the creators High-Seam. An immense talent to be followed very near.

Attachments

• berra12004.JPG
    berra12004.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 725
  • berra22004.JPG
    berra22004.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 256
  • berra32004.JPG
    berra32004.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 215

Zahra Yaagoubi:

ligne.gif

Flowered

Flowering of happiness with pinks, orchises, lilies, thoughts, œillets, etc, delicately embroidered and beaded hand, Zahra Yaagoubi creates, here, a true anthem with the girl in flower, spring and the légèrete confused. With strong colors, lace of Calais, printed velvet, muslin declined, its caftans joins the long flowered tradition of the behaviours High-Seam. Between glares of tenderness and colors, Zahra Yaagoubi reinvents a woman air, untied and subtly female.

Attachments

• zah12004.JPG
    zah12004.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 209
  • zah22204.JPG
    zah22204.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 313
  • zah32004.JPG
    zah32004.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 230

Najia Abbadi:

SO Sexy!

Cut off here, transparency there, jarretelized for the bride, the caftan of Najia Abbadi draws its inspiration first in the female linen room. An audacity which is not to displease to us in a beautiful whole of traditional invoice. By mixing the two kinds, the designer modernizes the caftan without never forgetting to pay homage to him. The tone often clear of fabrics support an idea as delicate as significant. Virtuosity successful for a sexy signed caftan.

Attachments

• naj12004.JPG
    naj12004.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 186
  • naj22004.JPG
    naj22004.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 402
  • naj32004.JPG
    naj32004.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 213

Samira Haddouchi:

ligne.gif

Aphrodite of North

For a goddess of beauty resulting from Greek antiquity, XVIIIème Moroccan century and cultural referents. A scientist mixing of signs for an ultra creative line female and cherished by a singular and spangled designer. Girdle majdoul, embroideries, "mâalem" and flowering of gold for a hieratic, proud and noble woman. Samira Haddouchi clarifies tone scintillating a traditional layout breaking, that and there, in the cuts and machine-made with an image stick-rise of the patrician greco-free-Morrocan woman.

Attachments

• sam32004.JPG
    sam32004.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 242
  • sam22004.JPG
    sam22004.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 204
  • sam12004.JPG
    sam12004.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 237
Status
Not open for further replies.