Monarchy and Restoration; Rival Families and Claimants

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, but when you get to Prince Alexander, dont you run into trouble deciding if he is the actual father of his own children or if their father (at least of the younger ones) is actually Prince Michael de Bourbon Parme.

What it's going to come down to is what and/if who do the Russian people want?

But I agree the matter is one of pure semantics. The Russians would restore the throne with whomever they wish as Tsar and it may not be even a royal.

This is something that quite a few Romanovs don't take into consideration. It's not like they can grant the Romanovs the right to decide that hte Russians can or can't choose. I think the Russians are very aware of the fact that they are the only ones in control of their country and the only ones who will even decide about anything. Russia is a fiercely nationalistic country and they did show the Romanovs just what they are capable of if they are pushed too far and beaten too down. Sometimes I think the Romanovs are behaving like a bunch of Communists, telling Russia they may choose who they want to have as Tsar, as long as it's a Romanov. They can choose which Romanov, as long as it's a Romanov.

That's not quite the case. Firstly, Russia is hardly shaped by the everyday Russian. Russian society is led by the rich (as always) with a dictator-like shadow in the wings (Putin). He'll be in charge for a very long time and Russia isn't the democracy you paint it to be unfortunately. That said, it's quite odd to say that the Romanovs behave like communists. That's a total contradiction. They may behave like autocrats (which I don't believe they do) but there's nothing new there. I also think to say that they are pushing monarchy is untrue, neither Maria nor Nicholas are pursuing that line. And they haven't demanded the Russians choose a Romanov to rule. That hasn't happened. It's also worth noting that the Revolution was not led by the Russians of today, nor the majority of Russians of yesteryear. When it comes to Russia, you can never generalize.

You have a point. I just think it's a shame that there is infighting and still a schism, which gets more and more pointless. I think that Georgi would be good and if Prince Nicholas and Dimitri want a part of being in charge, why not marry a daughter of theirs to Georgi and then have a united House of Romanov?

Fathers today don't really get to tell their children who they have to marry........and can you really imagine telling a daughter that she has to marry with the goal of securing a throne that has not existed for almost 100 years. She would laugh in your face and tell you exactly where to go.

Again, we're not talking usual fathers and children. We're talking about people raised in a very different way with very conservative and ultra-traditional standards. Right or wrong, that's the world they live in.

Dimitri is childless, and the daughters of Nicholas are rather old for George, on top of already being married...so it's a bit of a moot point. ;)

And I get the feeling that there's more than a little of the Baby Jane complex about Nicholas so I doubt he'd be too happy at a match if one was possible.

Again, we're not talking usual fathers and children. We're talking about people raised in a very different way with very conservative and ultra-traditional standards. Right or wrong, that's the world they live in.

He raised his daughters to be regular Italian citizens not exiles and to live their lives in the real world, very untraditional given their paternal heritage. Nicholas has never come across as very conservative, especially when compared to the Vladimirs.

Last edited:
It is all poppycock. These people will not return to reign, anything. The Russian government is not great, either, you are right, Beatrix Fan. Romanov's are a long past ideal.They were terrible monarchs. Nicholas is realistic, plus his daughters are married. Maria lives in a world of fantasy and Georgi will pay.

Which is the way it should be. Regardless of the dispute among the branches, none of them have a realistic chance of ever being called to the throne once more. In their own way, each is trying to be of service to Russia and educating people about their rich cultural heritage.

The likelihood of a restoration is zero. The Russian elite do not want a monarch and they just as corrupt and exploitative as the Soviet Communists and the old imperialists were. There is no true democracy or capacity for a constitutional tradition yet in Russia.

In their own way, each is trying to be of service to Russia and educating people about their rich cultural heritage.

I think this is the best way. They have jobs, they have lives of their own (that they can call their own), and they can do charity while remaining in touch by working and also can be socially exclusive and prominent without being requried by the politically correct press to show how 'hip' they are by hanging around entertainers just for public relations.

I dare to say that a fair number of Russians are already well-educated about their rich cultural heritage. I am not sure what the remaining Romanovs can add.

It is all poppycock. These people will not return to reign, anything. The Russian government is not great, either, you are right, Beatrix Fan. Romanov's are a long past ideal.They were terrible monarchs. Nicholas is realistic, plus his daughters are married. Maria lives in a world of fantasy and Georgi will pay.

Alot of posters share your view it seems but I can't understand why people are so set in their belief that Maria lives to make George's life a terrible mess. With respect, I think you're being a bit dramatic. George is in the same position as many other would-be Kings and yet nobody levels the same criticism at their parents. Are King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie bad parents for bringing up Crown Prince Pavlos as a King in waiting? Are King Michael and Queen Anne terrible, awful people for bringing up Crown Princess Margarita as a Queen to be? Both thrones have gone. Are the Greek and Romanian families a long past ideal? Do they live in a fantasy world?

I'd suggest that they live comfortably and happily with their station though they are aware there's little chance of restoration. Having said that, twenty years ago there was no chance of restoration in Romania, now it seems more likely than ever. Why? Because the royal houses did exactly what Maria is doing in Russia. They kept their dignity, they behaved as monarchs in exile should, they prepared themselves and their families for every eventuality and now it's paying off. Even if it doesn't pay off for Pavlos as it has for Margarita, surely the role they play (which George has also adopted) is valuable to themselves, their families and the elements in their respective societies that respect them? My point in all of this is that Maria is constantly criticised for being some kind of Baroness Hardup panto villain who is keeping her little boy prisoner until he becomes a Tsar and nothing could be furthur from the truth.

George had a good education, he's worked at the European Parliament, now he works for a Russian industry company. Pavlos had a good education, he's worked in various businesses. Margarita had a good education, she's worked with the World Health Organisation and works for her own Romanian charity. They all attend weddings, funerals, baptisms at the various European courts when no representative from their countries would be sent. They all travel throughout their countries visiting worthy causes and upholding traditional cultural links. And why not? Is that fantasy or is that using a position of wealth to do something productive? Maybe it's a little self serving but as has been proved in Romania, we can never say never. If George really wasn't up for this, he wouldn't have played the game for so long. What alot of people here seem to be overlooking is that George is an adult. Maria has no hold over him and if he really didn't want this life, he'd throw it all up and say "find the next in line". But he hasn't. He's done exactly the opposite, following a newly designed role for exiled-heirs that works pretty well as far as I can see. The jibes about his appearance, his love life etc are just cheap.

And perhaps this is what Nicholas Romanov hates so much about Maria and George, maybe this is why he does take every opportunity to slam them down and raise himself up. Because never in his life has Nicholas done this. What has he ever done for Russia? He simply lives with his fake Russian title, telling the world how awful the Tsars were in power. The only 'Russian' organisations he bothers with are the one's he's created that defer to him as lord over all. I won't say he's egocentric but to me, I'd much rather an intelligent, committed and genuinely passionate Imperial Family (in exile or in power) holding the banner than someone who only serves his own ends.

Russia is being prepared for return of the Tzar on 400th jubilee of the Romanovs

... And the Windsors are the main candidates for the throne.

Article in Russian
Google translation into English

[...] In 2013 the Russian government is going splendidly mark the 400th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty.
They say in a political lobby, that this date may be used as an excuse to restore the monarchy in the country, albeit in truncated form - headed by the king with decorative functions (as in the current monarchies of Europe). [...]

Interesting article, although I still do not believe there is any true impetus to restore the monarchy in Russia. Prince Michael of Kent is a romantic choice, based solely on his physical similarity to the late Tsar Nicholas II.

Maria's representative makes clear the succession after her and Georgi would be through Vladimir's sisters, which I find rather strange since none of their offspring meet the requirements of the Pauline Laws. It would still be through Elena Vladimirovna's daughter, Princess Olga, who is the only dynast who made an equal and Orthodox marriage after the Revolution.

It will be fascinating to see what PR the Russian Government is planning to celebrate the Romanovs in 2013. Or will they ignore it?

It will be fascinating to see what PR the Russian Government is planning to celebrate the Romanovs in 2013.

I think it depends on how the Romanovs do this; either as a part of Russia's heritage or as (I suppose) a reigning royal family. As a part of their heritage, okay, but not as a family that has any authority over the Russian nation and people.

I, think, outside, some diehard monarchists, no one is goibng backwards to monarchy. The Romanovs, especially. On the other hand, they existed and to celebrate or acknowledge their 400th anniversary, except they have been gone for alomost 100 hundred years, is fine. History is history.

i m more suprised by next years celebrations of pytor styolpin

I, think, outside, some diehard monarchists, no one is goibng backwards to monarchy. The Romanovs, especially. On the other hand, they existed and to celebrate or acknowledge their 400th anniversary, except they have been gone for alomost 100 hundred years, is fine. History is history.

I agree. I can't imagine that anyone would even be nostalgic for the Tsar or any other absolute monarch; the last one was an absolute monarch who had little interest in governing. The last one may have been well-intentioned, but his reign did nothing to promote the development of democracy (he fought it instead), and the resulting lack of democratic tradition surely was part of the reason why Russia was subject to Communism for so long, and still isn't what a lot of people consider democratic.

I'm all for monarchs such as Juan Carlos of Spain, who fought to defend democracy, and now King Michael of Romania, who speaks up for democracy and seems to genuinely love the people of his country. The Romanovs are different.

You're forgetting the Orthodox link to the Tsar and his family. Many Russians will want to celebrate the 400th anniversary from a religious point of view. The Tsar and his family are much revered Saints and the Russian Orthodox Church will no doubt play a huge part in the 400th anniversary celebrations.

The Romanovs are different.

The other Romanovs, other than Nicholas and Alexandra, were supportive of the formation of a Duma. The problem came from the fact that Nicholas and Alexandra were virulently against it since both supported the autocratic principle. I mean, Grand Duke Nicholas threatened to shoot himself right in front of Nicholas, if Nicholas wouldn't sign the proposed document that requested the formation of a Duma in the first place.

You're forgetting the Orthodox link to the Tsar and his family. Many Russians will want to celebrate the 400th anniversary from a religious point of view. The Tsar and his family are much revered Saints and the Russian Orthodox Church will no doubt play a huge part in the 400th anniversary celebrations.

Yes, that's definitely true. But that doesn't necessarily mean Maria will be front and center ahead of everyone else in the family, like she usually demands. The Government has generally sought to avoid seeming to pick sides in the dispute among branches.

*sigh* Nothing more drama loaded than a room full of Romanovs.

Yes, that's definitely true. But that doesn't necessarily mean Maria will be front and center ahead of everyone else in the family, like she usually demands. The Government has generally sought to avoid seeming to pick sides in the dispute among branches.

I disagree, if anyone is going to be the top dog during the celebrations it'll be Maria and not Nicholas. Nicholas was considered number one by the Yeltsin government (mainly because Maria's family were more church led on royal events that took place) but since Putin took office, Maria has been the de facto choice. Which is as it should be. No doubt the Romanovich's will attend but if anyone will be given precedence, I'd put money on it that it'll be Maria.

Given the volatility of modern times, it remains to be seen what is going to happen in 2013.

Given the volatile political situation in Russia with Putin preparing to return to the Presidency, I think celebrating the Romanovs will be the last thing on his mind in 2013 unless politically it will be useful to him.

I doubt Putin really cares about Maria or any other Romanov. He is a statist KGB controlling type, not a democrat.

auctually the question is in my opion can he get away with putting a monarchy back under which candatite would or she be accepted by die hard communists and so forth my question is why does it all sound like a candaite has been found and the time table been moved up but thats just an opion only on the facts i suspect something but the main question is under what pretext would it be under and why the celebration for stoyplin an imperial prime minsiter which noone has asked is 2012 gonna be with a new statue and all but meh

Back
Top Bottom