Luxembourg State Visit to Portugal: May 11 - 12, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think she had a small ribbon and order on her right side.
She did. But small ribbons are normally only used for high-profild daytime state occasions for day-wear or official, no state, visits.

She did. But small ribbons are normally only used for high-profild daytime state occasions for day-wear or official, no state, visits.

This is the way that M-T wants to play it, so that is what she will do! :flowers:

So the Braganças are accorded a semi-official role similar to the Romanian situation?
I´m not sure if you can compare the two countries on this. The Romanian Royal family are in integral part and play a vital role in the political system of Romania (like receiving ambassadors or handing out orders or medals, even doing semi "official" visits abroad and socialize with politicians), which the portugese Royals, as far as I know, do not. I think their role is more cultural, so to speak. As far as I am able to observe I believe in Romania the mood is a bit more "monarchy-friendly" while Portugal seems staunchly republican.

As far as I'm aware the Duke and Duchess of Bragança are invited to most State Banquets in Portugal for visiting Royals?

I´m not sure if you can compare the two countries on this. The Romanian Royal family are in integral part and play a vital role in the political system of Romania (like receiving ambassadors or handing out orders or medals, even doing semi "official" visits abroad and socialize with politicians), which the portugese Royals, as far as I know, do not. I think their role is more cultural, so to speak. As far as I am able to observe I believe in Romania the mood is a bit more "monarchy-friendly" while Portugal seems staunchly republican.

Not. The role of the Portuguese Royal Family is different from the role of the Romanian Royal Family. Yes, it can be said that it is more cultural. The Duke and Duchess of Bragança usually participate in some events of state or official visits of European monarchs to Portugal, namely gala dinners. They do a lot of events and visits to some places in Portugal and abroad but on their own and have a foundation.

As far as I'm aware the Duke and Duchess of Bragança are invited to most State Banquets in Portugal for visiting Royals?

Yes, they are usually invited to state banquets when foreign royalty is visiting Portugal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the Grand Duchess :
She did not wear a Sash for the Belgian State Visit.
She did wear a tiara for the return Glittering Event in Sweden and had to put it of because the Royal Swedish ladies did not wear tiaras.

So the Braganças are accorded a semi-official role similar to the Romanian situation?

No, but the Portuguese president alluded in his speech to the fact that the Grand Duke is a direct descendant of King Miguel I, who, according to him, was also "present here", like D. Miguel's brother, D. Pedro (I of Brazil and IV of Portugal), "in the person of the heir of centuries of history of Portugal that we respect and invoke always, an example of what Portugal is, and democratic Portugal" (unofficial literal translation of what he said in Portuguese).

Miguel I of Portugal > Infanta Maria Antónia of Portugal > Prince Felix of Bourbon-Parma > Jean of Luxembourg > Henri of Luxembourg.
The Grand Duchess has an portugese order as she wore on at the portugese State Visit to Luxembourg in 2017

Seems she did herown thing like not wearing an Hat for the funeral of her father-in-law for example.

The Wikipedia lists the following Portuguese orders for Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa:

Henri, Grand Duke of Luxembourg :

Grand Collar of the Order of Prince Henry (6 May 2005)
Grand Collar of the Order of Saint James of the Sword (7 September 2010)
Grand Collar of the Order of Liberty (23 May 2017)
Grand Collar of the Military Order of Christ (11 May 2022)

Maria Teresa, Grand Duchess of Luxembourg :

Grand Cross of the Order of Christ (6 May 2005)
Grand Cross of the Order of Saint James of the Sword (7 September 2010)
Grand Cross of the Order of Prince Henry (23 May 2017)

Last edited:
No, but the Portuguese president alluded in his speech to the fact that the Grand Duke is a direct descendant of King Miguel I, who, according to him, was also "present here", like D. Miguel's brother, D. Pedro (I of Brazil and IV of Portugal), "in the person of the heir of centuries of history of Portugal that we respect and invoke always, an example of what Portugal is, and democratic Portugal" (unofficial literal translation of what he said in Portuguese).

Miguel I of Portugal > Infanta Maria Antónia of Portugal > Felix of Bourbon-Parma > Jean of Luxembourg > Henri of Luxembourg.

And also: Miguel I.of Portugal > Marie Josè of Portugal > Elisabeth in Bavaria > Léopold III. of Belgium > Joséphine-Charlotte of Belgium > Henri of Luxembourg

The State of Romania gives Elisabeta Palace in use (as office), they also offer the former Royal Palace in Bucharest (for representation).

The State gives support in providing a budget, military and facilitary assistance, transportation and security. For an example: this week we saw the Royal Train in action which needs assistance from the State Railways.

The Romanian Royal House owns Savarsin Castle (in use as private residence), Peles Castle (given in usufruct to the State to house a museum) and Pelisor Castle (given in usufruct to the State to be used as a State Guest House).

I would say the Romanian Royal House has a far deeper semi-formal role than the Portuguese Royal House.

I do wonder if people are being a little harsh with regards to the Grand Duchess. She did indeed wear an Order on the night of the gala dinner. It just wasn't the full sash, star, etc. She wore the ribbon on her right shoulder. To me, it looked as though she received the Order of Merit. The welcome video from the President's office shows that she did receive one. When the "Orders" website is updated eventually, we will see exactly which order she got.

I do wonder if people are being a little harsh with regards to the Grand Duchess. She did indeed wear an Order on the night of the gala dinner. It just wasn't the full sash, star, etc. She wore the ribbon on her right shoulder. To me, it looked as though she received the Order of Merit. The welcome video from the President's office shows that she did receive one. When the "Orders" website is updated eventually, we will see exactly which order she got.

This is the the ribbon bar of the Portuguese order of merit. Does it match the color of the ribbon that the Grand Duchess was wearing? Sorry, I cannot see it in the pictures.

In any case, the Portuguese orders she was awarded before are higher in precedence, I think, than the order of merit, so it is strange that she didn't wear one of them. Maybe Maria-Olivia is right and she simply couldn't adjust a full sash to her strangely asymmetric gown.

Ranking (?) of Portuguese orders (ancient orders of the Kingdom of Portugal retained by the Republic in italics)

1) Order of the Tower and Sword
2) Order of Christ
3) Order of Avis
4) Order of St James of the Sword

5) Order of Prince Henry
6) Order of Liberty
7) Order of Camões
8) Order of Merit

And also: Miguel I.of Portugal > Marie Josè of Portugal > Elisabeth in Bavaria > Léopold III. of Belgium > Joséphine-Charlotte of Belgium > Henri of Luxembourg

Indeed. Grand Duke Henri has Braganza roots in the lines of both of his parents. It is totally fitting that the Duke of Braganza should be invited to the State dinner.

Last edited:
I was just making a guess as to the order. It doesn't matter the precedence of the order. She is most likely wearing the order she received on this particular visit. It seems to me, upon further research, that she is wearing the ribbon of the Order of Camões, which would be higher on the order of precedence than the Order of Merit.

Ribbon Bar of the Order of Camões:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Camões#/media/File:PRT_Order_of_Camões_-_Knight_BAR.svg

Fair enough. She could be wearing the order she received in this particular state visit. But, even so, assuming it was the Order of Camões, I doubt the Grand Duchess would be awarded a grade lower than the Grand Cross, which includes a sash. So why didn't she wear it and opted instead for a daytime miniature (if that is what she was wearing)?

I am not trying to exaggerate the importance of this possible mistake by the Grand Duchess, but it is odd for an experienced royal consort who has been to many gala dinners before.

I based my comment on the fact La Grand Duchess seems to do things her own way now.

Not. The role of the Portuguese Royal Family is different from the role of the Romanian Royal Family. Yes, it can be said that it is more cultural. The Duke and Duchess of Bragança usually participate in some events of state or official visits of European monarchs to Portugal, namely gala dinners. They do a lot of events and visits to some places in Portugal and abroad but on their own and have a foundation.
You exactly portrayed those two former monarchies, Romania and Portugal, I perceive them, too.

Back
Top Bottom