Luxembourg Grand Ducal Family, Current Events 1: September 2004 - April 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moiën Karajan, nice to see you!:)

Wow so you like classical music too!:)

I like classical music too and my favourite conductor is Andre Rieu from the Netherlands. I'm a real fan of him and he plays very very good with so many passion. And the fact of playing with Russian street musicians and a little boy of 5 years is so nice!:p

My favourite composers are: Strauss, Rossini, Verdi, Vivaldi and Tchaikowsky.:)

And some more words of the pictures I posted:
I think Prince Felix is a member of the sport committee and its because of that he represents the family in great sport events as the Gala sportive or a football match.

I think Felix must read our comments and has grown the beard to spite us because we said rude things about his mullet. OR he has a girlfriend who reads our comments and she has demanded he make himself less of a stud. Anyway, the whole thing has inspired me to write a little poem:
DODGY LIMERICK NO. 1
There once was a prince named Felix
Who had a particular complex
He grew a small beard
Which looked scary and wierd
And now I am feeling quite nauseous

That was hilarious KatieLouise. What is really creepy is that when I first saw the picture, I though it was Kevin Federline, Britney Spears' husband. *shudders* So do handsome Luxembourg men have some secret urge to make themselves look bad?n I just don't understand... it's all very gobsmacking.

ShksprNLov said:
That was hilarious KatieLouise. What is really creepy is that when I first saw the picture, I though it was Kevin Federline, Britney Spears' husband. *shudders* So do handsome Luxembourg men have some secret urge to make themselves look bad?n I just don't understand... it's all very gobsmacking.
I must agree with you there. I did a double-take myself:eek:. It's probably some sort of phase or fashion (going back to what was said about him in the previous Felix thread) b/c about 5 yrs ago in my area of the US, guys were REALLY into facial hair, including some of my closest guy friends and my dad of all ppl(he's 51). I told them what I thought about it and some of them took a good look in the mirror and then shaved. Unfortunately, the "fashion statement" didn't die out. Felix reminds me of some sort of Spainish villian from an old movie and Guillaume reminds me of a businessman from the middle east - no offense to anyone. So who knows, hopefully this is a phase and it'll die out soon so we can have our handsome princes back to the way they were:D. Btw, congrats Karajan on the baby.:)

Felix definitely could pass for a Spanish villian in a movie. I saw Guillaume as a drug lord myself, but a business man is also very good. Congrats Karajan!
icon10.gif
I love the name you chose!

thanks lol i need to learn what words mean before i say them... i bet felix has a girlfriend and she wants him too look worse

bad_barbarella said:
thanks lol i need to learn what words mean before i say them... i bet felix has a girlfriend and she wants him too look worse
*shrugs, who knows. i'd never allow my standards to fall in a relationship b/c i'd still expect him to have that brand new penny look that he had from day one, and if he started slacking off it'd "tear him a new one". besides, i hope he'd have enough dignity to want to look so and want the same from me - tis only fair :cool:. but unfortunately, we don't live in perfect, and ppl do tend to slack off when they get into a relationship, not all, but most. * shakes her head sadly. but still, what woman in her right mind would want someone as gorgeous as he to look like king phillip II of spain, only without the frilly collar, or Guillaume to look like a columbian drug lord? both aspects make my skin crawl and me go EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.:D

By the way does Felix have a girl friend? This could explain his strange appearance!:p

But I have another thought. Felix was guest by a youth programm (Planet RTL) on Luxembourg's main channel RTL. Unfortunately I couldn't watch it but I know that the guests have to do some games there. And it could be that he lost and had to promise that he will grow his hair and wear a beard!:D

What do you think about this?

drimal said:
By the way does Felix have a girl friend? This could explain his strange appearance!:p

But I have another thought. Felix was guest by a youth programm (Planet RTL) on Luxembourg's main channel RTL. Unfortunately I couldn't watch it but I know that the guests have to do some games there. And it could be that he lost and had to promise that he will grow his hair and wear a beard!:D

What do you think about this?
*shrugs to the aspect of him having a g/f b/c i'm not him. as for him growing extra hair, something sheep are raised for, that's an interesting thing to ponder, b/c i don't know what it's for - could be there so he can keep his whole head warm in the winter.:D if that's the case, someone needs to send this guy a scarf, muffler, ski mask, or something.:D

latest lux royal new... prince felix looks different... and guilliaumes back in luxembourg

look at those sports pictures again of felix... notice the expressions on the faces of the guys around him... i think they are jealous

Last edited by a moderator:
bad_barbarella said:
latest lux royal new... prince felix looks different... and guilliaumes back in luxembourg
really, any new pics of guillaume yet?

ummm i thin january... im not too sure though haha hes been jet setting more than ever lately... i wonder if hes arrogant hmmmm

Oh i hope he is not arrogant! i like to think that he is one of the few guys that has looks AND personality ^______^

i always wanted him to be a quiet dorky nerd lol much easier to twist round your finger

Well now that Christmas is here how do you think the LRF will celebrate??? Do they hold any functions for the public each year? like an annual Christmas ball or something?

She has been treated for lung cancer. I don't know how she is doing though.

lung cancer? golly hope everything's going fine she is lucky she is royal though she can afford all the best treatments.

By Donna Miles
American Forces Press Service

LUXEMBOURG, Luxembourg, Dec. 16, 2004 -- Citizens of Luxembourg and Belgium joined veterans of the Battle of the Bulge here today to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the opening day of the battle and to honor the 19,000 U.S. soldiers who died during what proved to be one of the largest and bloodiest encounters of World War II.

Snow-covered crosses honor 5,000 fallen U.S. servicemembers at the Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial. Photo by Bill Miles
(Click photo for screen-resolution image); high-resolution image available.

In the cold, fog-shrouded Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial, the veterans paid tribute to 5,000 of their comrades buried here following what Luxembourg Prime Minister Jean-Claude Juncker acknowledged were their "most terrible days."

Juncker praised the "courageous young men" who endured what many said felt like overwhelming odds to free Luxembourg from five years of German occupation. "This is a day to pay tribute and to show our deepest gratitude," he told the veterans.

The prime minister vowed to pass the story of the courage demonstrated by the U.S. military on to future generations. "We must never forget" the debt Luxembourg owes the United States for "the sacrifices made by young American GIs" on its behalf, Juncker told the veterans and their families.

U.S. Ambassador to Luxembourg Peter Terpeluk delivered a proclamation from President Bush thanking the veterans of the Battle of the Bulge for their critical role in defeating Nazi Germany and freeing Europe from tyranny. "When it mattered most, the entire generation of Americans showed the finest qualities of our nation and humanity," the president wrote.

George Checken, president of the Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge organization, spoke for his fellow veterans during the ceremony in recalling "those dark days when we stood together and fought toward victory."

He called the 60th anniversary of the battle's opening day a fitting time "to pay homage to our comrades who made the supreme sacrifice" and told his fellow veterans, "We know you have not forgotten them."

Checken said the veterans of the Battle off the Bulge will also never forget the tragic scenes they witnessed -- nor the friendships they forged, between soldiers and between nations. "Thank you for remembering us," Checken told the Luxembourgers and Belgians at the ceremony. "We will never forget you."

The ceremony at the Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial included a 21-gun salute by the Luxembourg army and a wreath-laying to honor the fallen veterans of the Battle of the Bulge.

A flyover initially planned for the ceremony was cancelled due to thick fog. Ironically, U.S. air support for ground troops during the first days of the Battle of the Bulge was scrapped 60 years ago because of similar inclement weather conditions.

The ceremony here was among dozens of commemorations today throughout Luxembourg and Belgium observing the opening day of the Battle of the Bulge. The first events began at 5:30 a.m., exactly 60 years after 250,000 Germans launched their surprise attack on Dec. 16, 1944.

Earlier today, Secretary of the Air Force Jim Roche and Luxembourg's two crown princes, Prince Guillaume and Prince Felix, participated in a memorial service at Schumann Crossroads, one of the bloodiest sites of the Battle of the Bulge.

A National Liberation Memorial at the spot honors the U.S. soldiers who endured three weeks of brutal fighting at the spot as they worked to loosen the German army's grip on the strategic crossroads, and the thousands who died there.

Pierre Brosien, president of the National Liberation Memorial Association, recalled "the scene of horror" many Battle of the Bulge veterans lived through at the site and thanked them for their bravery and endurance.

"We were lucky to be liberated by you," agreed John Milmeister, secretary of the National Liberation Memorial Association. "Thanks to you, we in Western Europe are living in liberty and prosperity."

Nico Loes, mayor of Schumann, thanked the veterans for "your courage, your determination and your tenacity" in freeing Luxembourg from oppression. "We owe you one of the most precious commodities on this earth: freedom," he said. "Luxembourg will never forget what you have done for us."

"We live in freedom because of you," Roche told the veterans gathered at the memorial, noting that they hold "a place of honor in the history of civilization" that continues to inspire others today

Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge called today's ceremonies a time of reflection and healing.

Alfred Grossenbacher, a private first class with the 28th Infantry Division during the battle, called his visit to the Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial an opportunity to honor his fallen comrades. "I thought the loss and the pain was over, but it's not," he said, tears welling up in his eyes. "They're the ones who allowed me to come home."

Michael Samberg, a private with the 26th "Yankee" Infantry Division during the battle, said he's worked through the sadness and the apologies he feels toward his comrades who died. "Now I'm here to honor them and their memories," he said. Looking back, Samberg said he's proud the actions he and his fellow soldiers took at the Battle of the Bulge. "When I look back at the contribution I was able to make, I feel that in some little way, I helped to make the world a better place," he said.

Photo 1- Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge endure conditions much like they faced 60 years ago to the day during a 60th anniversary commemoration ceremony at the Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial, Dec. 16. Photo by Bill Miles

Photo 2- Battle of the Bulge veterans gather at Schumann Crossroads on Dec. 16 to honor thousands of their comrades killed during three weeks of fighting at the strategic crossroads in Luxembourg. Photo by Donna Miles

Attachments

• 2004121614a.jpg
    2004121614a.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 2004121614b.jpg
    2004121614b.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 306
Last edited by a moderator:
bad_barbarella said:
Earlier today, Secretary of the Air Force Jim Roche and Luxembourg's two crown princes, Prince Guillaume and Prince Felix, participated in a memorial service at Schumann Crossroads, one of the bloodiest sites of the Battle of the Bulge.
:confused: they said the crown princes... isnt guillaume the only one? :confused:

:eek: anyone...

Last edited:
it's a pitty there weren't any pics of the guys :(

I have found some pictures of this event, the 60th remembrance day of the Battle of Bulge, the Ardennes Offensives, the last battle of the nazis in World War II which caused many victims in December 1944!

In my newspaper there are plenty of pictures of the remembrance ceremony with Grand Duke Henri, Grand Duchess, Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume and Prince Felix. Unfortunately I cannot share them with you because it is difficult to scan them in my computer.:(
Perhaps the magazine Telecran which arrives next Wednesday will post some pictures on the web. But for now I have found these pictures of the event on the web!

The title site of Le Quotidien shows Henri, Maria Teresa, Guillaume and Felix.

On the two pictures the most below (in this silly bmp form!) you can see Guillaume.

Attachments

• Ardennen 60 J 1.jpg
    Ardennen 60 J 1.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 261
  • Ardenne 60 J2.jpg
    Ardenne 60 J2.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 598
  • Ardenne 60 J3.jpg
    Ardenne 60 J3.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 585
  • Ardennen 60 Jahre 1'.bmp
    198.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Ardennen 60 Jahre 2'.bmp
    197.2 KB · Views: 140
  • LEQUOTIDIEN_101_1[UNE]G.jpg
    LEQUOTIDIEN_101_1[UNE]G.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
bad_barbarella said:
Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge endure conditions much like they faced 60 years ago to the day during a 60th anniversary commemoration ceremony ....Dec. 16.
Seems to me that the 60 anniversary celebrations are more poignant than those marking the half century !?!

Drimal, thanks for the photos.
I think these are from the commemoration ceremony at the American military cemetery in Hamm. Both boys are visible in the pictures. Let me know if I am wrong. You are a big help on this board.

The four pic is Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume at the 2004 Autumn Fair. I found this statement "The Autumn Fair is one of Luxembourg’s major events and runs till Sunday October 24th inclusive."
What is the The Autumn Fair?

Is a high-ranking U.S. official visiting Luxembourg next year?

ReRe

Attachments

• lux1.jpg
    lux1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 333
  • lux2.jpg
    lux2.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 256
  • lux3.jpg
    lux3.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 335
  • Prince%20Guillaume.jpg
    Prince%20Guillaume.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 338
OMG! Third pic- Guillaume not in a tie?!? Has the world gone mad????? I'm shocked to the point where I'm nearly speechless.

what kind of pants/shoes are those that he's wearing? i can easily descern the turtleneck top and felix's wearing the same kind of top and is actually DRESSED rather nicely, excluding the facial hair, which makes me want to go "en garde" and have a fencing lesson with him, but guillaume - *scratches her head and is quite confused, see :confused:. what happened to him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom