Kingdom of Tonga

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so i know this is totally random but I was wondering... Does anyone know if any member of the Royal family of Tonga ever lived in Alaska or attended the University of Alaska, Anchorage? :ermm: I think he's name starts with an "M". I think he might be like a nephew or something! I know this is totally weird but if someone could tell me or send me in the right direction that would be appreciated....

I have visited the Kingdom of Tonga. Lovely people there and so welcoming to us few foreigners who visit their beautiful islands.

The Royal Palace is so small and simple. Everyone can meet the King in church on Sundays mornings. The islanders are very strict and traditional wearing the dress with woven mats on top. Tonga is an old fashioned "no frills" place like you will find nowhere else in the world.

Church services are most amazing, complete with brass bands and incredible choirs. The late King's funeral must have been quite an experience.

There are still very few tourists visiting the islands as there are not very many flights accessing the islands. Old Polynesia at its best.

I am very happy to see a thread about the Royal Family of Tonga on this forum. I am certainly planning to go there again in the next year or so.

Wow. Thankyou for your post MadameConcorde. I'd love to visit Tonga and it sounds like you really enjoyed it.

MadameConcorde said:
The Royal Palace is so small and simple. .

The palace consists of just 8 rooms. On the ground floor there is a throne Room, two small Sitting Rooms and room which used to be the Privy Council Chamber and doubled as a dining room. On the first floor there are four large bedrooms. In Queen Salote's time not only did she live here but also her 2 sons, 2 daughters in law, 8 grandchildren and a couple of the Queens elderly aunts. Queen Salote shared her bedroom with her eldest granddaughter princess Pilolevu.

Last edited:
The madness of King George of Tonga - 17 Sep 2006 - NZ Herald: World / International News
17 Sep 2006
As the classic London taxi chauffeuring Tonga's new King sweeps through ornate gates and turns left towards the shabbiness of Nuku'alofa, a small boy squats nearby in the roadside dust and heat, hoping to sell tendrils of slimy octopus...

His Majesty King Siaosi Tupou V Visits Tonga Temple
26 Sep 2007
On September 25th, His Majesty King Siaosi Tupou V was the Guest of Honour at a special ceremony to commemorate the occasion of the completion of the renovation of the Tonga Temple...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for keeping us updated about Tonga's Kingdom. I like it...However, I wish I could seen someday a true Tongan Monarchy...thi is not to Anglophile. I love English people, but Tongans must be Tongans. Oceanic culture is so rich (Melanesia, Micronesia and Polynesia), that it should be sad to have it totally lost...:neutral:

Vanesa.

The Royal Tonga International Hotel opens for business today
9 Oct 2007
After 15 years of construction, the Royal Tonga International Hotel, better known as "Dr Wong's hotel" was finally opened for business this morning, October 9 by HM King George Tupou V.
Rest of article (with photos)

Its sad the way things have turned out for the worse in Tonga. It is obvious that the royal family are either unaware or just plain ignorant of the plight of the grassroots. Tonga continues to be led by an outdated constitution which legitimizes autocratic rule. If they do not change their attitude, then the monarchy in Tonga would be heading in the same direction as those of Greece, Russia, etc. Tongans are proud to have the only kingdom in the Pacific and so are many of us other Pacific Islanders with Tongan ancestry. It would be sad to lose this rare jewel of the South Pacific.

I sometimes think that the late, great Queen Salote must be turning in her grave at how the Tongan Royal Family has turned out. She would have seen that times change and the constitution has to move with it.
She lived a very unostentatious life and the little palace was good enough for her but not, it seems, for the new king who seems to have no intention of moving in to it.

Can I point out that Tonga is not the only kingdom in the Pacific? The Wallis and Futuna Islands consists of three kingdoms: Uvea, Sigave and Alo. They may not be as well known as Tonga but they are kingdoms just the same. Also, New Zealand is a Pacific kingdom.

Sorry Iain. What I meant was that Tonga is the only sovereign indigenous Kingdom in the Pacific. All others are neither indigenous (Australia, NZ, and other British Commonwealth realms in the Pacific) nor sovereign (Wallis & Futuna).

The Monarchy falls for there is people interested in this fact. There is more complex reasons for the Monarchy in Russia , Greece etc, was distroyed. It is not the place to speak politics (at least, it is what moderators said...so...:D), but my analize of the Russian and Greece revolutions makes me thinks that the fall of Monarchy was planed. It must fall. And it fell.

And now, I'm afraid of saying that if Tonga Monarchy must fall, it will fall. No doubt. :cry:

Vanesa.

Coronation celebrations are to be held on July 30 - Aug 3, 2008 for His Majesty King George V.

CELEBRATIONS to commemorate the Coronation of HM King George V will be held in the capital, July 30-August 3 this year.

A tentative program launches the celebrations on July 30 with a Taumafakava or a Royal Kava Ceremony at Pangai Lahi followed by fireworks.

According to the source, on the King's recent trip to Europe he apparently invited several European royals to attend the ceremony, but confirmation has yet to be placed. I suppose other royals from Asia will also attend.

Read the entire story, which is in English, [url=http://www.matangitonga.to/article/tonganews/royalty/tonga_coronation_celeb_140208.shtml]here[/URL].

Would it be too much to ask to see Charles and Camilla at this one? We'll probably end up with the Kents pretending they're still love's young dream.

I honestly doubt it, BeatrixFan. For one thing, it's a long, long trip to Tonga; nevertheless, it would be nice to see them there in honor of the new King.

Would it be too much to ask to see Charles and Camilla at this one? We'll probably end up with the Kents pretending they're still love's young dream.

The Royal House has anounced this:
Friday, 1st August 2008

The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester will today attend the Coronation of King George Tupou V of Tonga.
Royal diary search results=

Pity don´t see Charles and Camila.
I wonder wich others Europeans Royal Families will atten.

Finally the public knows when Tonga will crown their new king I can't wait to see the photos of this historic event and find out who else will be in attendence as well.

The Coronation ceremonies commence for HM King George Tupou :
http://www.royalblog.nl/

you will find it all in english if you scroll down to "NewsSummary".

Courtesy dear HJA.

Constitutional change in the wind

From AP
King to cede power

A spokesman for Tonga's new King says he will give up many of his ruling
powers in a move that would end one of the world's last near-absolute
monarchies. King George Tupou V plans to hand control of the
government to the Prime Minister, although no timetable has been set.

That is great news the king wants to modernize the monarchy more by giving the people the chance to vote in the near future.

Here is a direct link to the live video of the coronation, which is scheduled to start in about 25 minutes.

The coronation celebrations were quite impressive, King George looks so regal in his crown and train, and it's been interesting to see the native celebrations in the run up to the actual coronation celebrations. The only thing that disappoints me is the lack of foreign royal guests, a coronation is quite a rare event.

The coronation celebrations were quite impressive, King George looks so regal in his crown and train, and it's been interesting to see the native celebrations in the run up to the actual coronation celebrations. The only thing that disappoints me is the lack of foreign royal guests, a coronation is quite a rare event.

Well, I have seen the Japanese Crown Prince, the Duchess of Gloucester (right spelling?) as British representative and representative from the Thai royal family (though I could not name them - Sorry).

Well, I have seen the Japanese Crown Prince, the Duchess of Gloucester (right spelling?) as British representative and representative from the Thai royal family (though I could not name them - Sorry).
Yes I saw them (Crown Prince Naruhito, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, Princess Sri Maha Chakri Sirindhorn of Thailand, a Princess of Bhutan) too, but I think that there's too few royal representatives... There are only so many monarchies in this world, they should stick together, and especially at a unique event like a coronation which is only done in so few countries - they should send high representatives from all countries. A Vice President or a member of the Royal Family for example, or a minister at the minumum. Just letting the Ambassadors represent the country isn't enough in my viewpoint.

Back
Top Bottom