King Abdullah & Queen Rania Current Events 28: June 2 - October 13, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, personally I think her coverage is increasing, the BBC have had sevaral news stories and an interview. British newspapers like The Times, The Independent and The Telegraph have all had articles about her and the recent Youtube coverage has been widely reported in newspapers across the globe.

This comes back to which media Forbes looked at. Did they look at only the English-language media, did they look all English-language media around the world, or did they only look at American sources? Furthermore, did they just look at print media or did they include television? I don't know of any database that allows people to search news program transcripts from several network sources like exist for newspapers. Forbes would have had to check each network's own database, which can get time consuming. Instead, they might have only looked at a few networks – if they looked at all – and those might have all been American. We don't know because Forbes was not specific about which press they looked at.

What I'm saying is a woman might have had a lot of coverage but not been ranked particularly high because of the media sources Forbes excluded.

As for the YouTube coverage, we need to consider the time frame Forbes used when looking at press mentions. For example, did they only look at press coverage during the 2007 calendar year. If so, the YouTube coverage would not have been included in their calculations for 2008. The YouTube stuff might affect her ranking next year.

I also think her short YouTube experiment is the source of much of the recent increased coverage you're sensing. Rania typically talks to the BBC and each of the American networks at least once a year, as well as to some newspapers. I haven't noted an increase in that in recent years.

This comes back to which media Forbes looked at. Did they look at only the English-language media, did they look all English-language media around the world, or did they only look at American sources? Furthermore, did they just look at print media or did they include television? I don't know of any database that allows people to search news program transcripts from several network sources like exist for newspapers. Forbes would have had to check each network's own database, which can get time consuming. Instead, they might have only looked at a few networks – if they looked at all – and those might have all been American. We don't know because Forbes was not specific about which press they looked at.

What I'm saying is a woman might have had a lot of coverage but not been ranked particularly high because of the media sources Forbes excluded.

As for the YouTube coverage, we need to consider the time frame Forbes used when looking at press mentions. For example, did they only look at press coverage during the 2007 calendar year. If so, the YouTube coverage would not have been included in their calculations for 2008. The YouTube stuff might affect her ranking next year.

I also think her short YouTube experiment is the source of much of the recent increased coverage you're sensing. Rania typically talks to the BBC and each of the American networks at least once a year, as well as to some newspapers. I haven't noted an increase in that in recent years.
All good points and you may be right on the effect the Youtube project will have on her ranking next year.

However, as far as I am aware, Rania does not have an annual interview with the BBC or even a regular session; the recent Becky Anderson interview was linked to the Youtube project.

Does anyone know if Rania is back in London this weekend and if so, whether she is on official business?

However, as far as I am aware, Rania does not have an annual interview with the BBC or even a regular session; the recent Becky Anderson interview was linked to the Youtube project.

I did not suggest she has a regularly scheduled, annual interview with the BBC (like the year-end interview the Canadian prime minister gives to one of the two national networks each Christmas), only that she appears to be interviewed by the BBC each year about something, such as the YouTube project.

I did not suggest she has a regularly scheduled, annual interview with the BBC (like the year-end interview the Canadian prime minister gives to one of the two national networks each Christmas), only that she appears to be interviewed by the BBC each year about something, such as the YouTube project.
Would you please provide links to these other BBC interviews? The only other one I can recall was a documentary that took place quite early on in the King's reign.

TIA.

how could he have been in Ireland last week when he was out and about in Amman the whole week, then went to Saudi Arabia?

Would you please provide links to these other BBC interviews? The only other one I can recall was a documentary that took place quite early on in the King's reign.

These were the links I could quickly find. The BBC website doesn't appear to offer transcripts of old programs or news pieces for me to be able to find others. These ones are from Rania's own website. Other links are to stories where she made comments but was not "formally" interviewed.

This list doesn't have a link for each year, I know, but shows that her interaction with the BBC, in recent years anyways, has been regular. And that is my point.

This list also does not include the many news stories the BBC has done over the years that either focus on Rania or mention Rania (but don't include interviews). These would be included as press mentions.

BBC NEWS | Middle East | Jordan opens children's museum
Posted Thursday, April 26, 2007
By Dale Gavlak, BBC News, Amman, Jordan about her new children’s museum

Friday, September 2, 2005
Rania Al Abdullah Queen of Jordan Official Web Site

February 18, 2004
Rania Al Abdullah Queen of Jordan Official Web Site

And also a BBC documentary this year on the royal couple.
Screen caps posed on The Royal Forums
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...een-rania-and-family-picture-thread-7169.html

Another thing I noticed while quickly going through Rania's website is how many international, foreign-language publications she has spoken to over the years. If Forbes stuck with English-language media – as I suspect they did – these press mentions would not have been included and could have affected her ranking.

My overall point was to question the methodology that Forbes used when devising its ranking. Now I think it's time we moved on.

Yes let’s move on please, this conversation can easily be carried on via pm.

Than
k
you

Humera
Jordanian Forum Moderator

Last edited:
Amman, Sept.14 (Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II stressed the importance of the role of universities in graduating students armed with science and knowledge to face the various challenges.
Jordan News Agency - Petra - King meets presidents of universities

Amman, Sept.14 (Petra)--His Majesty King Abdullah II highlighted the importance of the European Union's role over the coming few months in supporting peace and stability in the Middle East as well as efforts designed to achieve peace between the Palestinians and Israelis that leadto the establishment of an independent Palestinian state.
Jordan News Agency - Petra - King highlights importance of the EU's role in supporting peace and stability in the Middle East

Amman, Sept.14 (Petra)—His Majesty King Abdullah II will start a two-day official visit to China next Wednesday during which he will hold talks with Chinese President Hu Jintao.
Jordan News Agency - Petra - King starts visit to China on Wednesday

World Economic Forum returns to Jordan for its fifth year

Jordan looks forward to hosting the meeting for the fifth time, under the Royal patronage of His Majesty King Abdullah II Ibn Al Hussein.

Petranews

King Abdullah meets Chinese president Hu Jintao
Zimbio
King Abdullah at the closing ceremony of the Paralympic Games and meeting Chinese president and Chinese ministers
Daylife

King holds talks with Chinese President - Article
King's visit to China aims to bolster ties, says minister - Article

Last edited:
I have moved all posts on King Abdullah's 3-day visit to China to the King Abdullah's vist to China Spet 17-19, 2008 thread

Thanks a lot for the links, Jordan.:flowers:

I love Queen Rania's necklace !!!

King phones Prince Sultan Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and condoles him over passing away princess Lulwa
Jordan News Agency - Petra - King phones Prince Sultan Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and condoles him over passing away princess Lulwa

King phones Abbas, discusses peace making efforts
Jordan News Agency - Petra - King phones Abbas, discusses peace making efforts

King condoles Pakistani President on victims of Islamabad blast
Jordan News Agency - Petra - King condoles Pakistani President on victims of Islamabad blast

King attends Iftar banquet by Gendarmerie Directorate
Jordan News Agency - Petra - King attends Iftar banquet by Gendarmerie Directorate

King opens mosque of Prophet Hud's Shrine
Jordan News Agency - Petra - King opens mosque of Prophet Hud's Shrine

King to visit Cairo Tomorrow
Jordan News Agency - Petra - King to visit Cairo Tomorrow

To clarify, the Cairo visit starts today.

The election of Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni as head of the Kadima Party is expected to be at the core of talks Tuesday between Jordan's King Abdullah II and Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak.

King, Egyptian President affirm importance of unifying efforts and stand to encounter challenges
Jordan News Agency - Petra - King, Egyptian President affirm importance of unifying efforts and stand to encounter challenges

King Returns Home
Jordan News Agency - Petra - King Returns Home

King visits Army Headquarters
Jordan News Agency - Petra - King visits Army Headquarters

King orders the establishment of home for girls suffering from family disintegration
Jordan News Agency - Petra - King orders the establishment of home for girls suffering from family disintegration

Last edited by a moderator:
AMMAN - Over 120,000 citizens benefited so far from local microfinance institutions (MFIs) that offered loans valued at around JD65 million, according to Planning Ministry figures.........

Al-Ali stated that the government would "continue to support this important sector championed by Her Majesty Queen Rania as an effective tool for creating job opportunities and generating income, especially among women, as well as improving the quality of life for the underprivileged".
120,000 citizens benefit from microfinance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom