Interviews/Quotes by Charles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ava Elizabeth

Gentry
Country
Oman
I was wondering if Prince Charles ever has done big/interesting interwiews where you get an impression of his personality/nature/life? He is such a famous person and "everyone" knows all about his life, but still I feel we know very little about his personality and thoughts about his own life.
Did he ever talk about his sons and marriage? Any quotes?
Thanks. :)

Well, there's one coming up soon Ava Elizabeth - May to be exact! He'll be giving a joint interview with William and Harry.

Ava Elizabeth said:
I was wondering if Prince Charles ever has done big/interesting interwiews where you get an impression of his personality/nature/life? He is such a famous person and "everyone" knows all about his life, but still I feel we know very little about his personality and thoughts about his own life.

The only interview (apart from the 20/20 interview) that I have ever seen Charles do was the one where he admitted to adultery against Diana-though he sugar-coated it with the 'after it was irretrievably broken down' bit. If he had just said yes I would have had more respect for his honesty.

He unfortunately has not gotten the best of reviews for interviews at least in the local press in my area. He has been described as dull, boring, 'Edwardian' whatever that means, 'seedy with British teeth' which is particularly insulting. On the other hand he has also been praised for his views on organic foods, the environment. The trouble is he seems unable to command respect. In his 20/20 interview he said he hoped he would be appreciated after his death which is pretty sad. I don't remember him much before Diana so I wonder where could he have put a foot wrong and well before Diana? When he was a child from what I have read he had the affection of the people which is natural enough for any child. But it seems to have gone downhill the older he got.

I couldn't locate the Tampa Tribune article online on Charle's CBS interview but here are some similar ones:

From the BBC:
Charles' Bleak Hope For Respect
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4387454.stm

You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone
http://www.guardian.co.uk/monarchy/story/0,2763,1604215,00.html

It is sad and rather pathetic.

In the CBS interview he says "I only hope that, when I'm dead and gone, they might appreciate it a little bit more." The Prince clearly wishes he could command more respect from the people at least for his charitable efforts.

Last edited:
He doesn't need to command respect. He's earning it through his good work - and whatever anyone says about his marriage etc he's a very hard worker and has done some amazing things for charity and other causes he feels strongly about.

I think that Royal children always have the affection of the people and it slacks off as they grow up. It'll happen with Leonor, Sverre Magnus etc too.

I do remember Charles as a young man and he was loved.

People started to fall off when Diana started trashing him and people took sides.

Until the late 80s early 90s he was a much loved prince but then Diana had the Morton book written and most people believed her version of events and timetables without ever listening to or even considering his side of the story. I have even read people who have said that they believed Diana's version because a) she said it first AND b) she was beautiful - as if beautiful people can't exaggerate things and only the first version of events can be believed.

NB Personally I wish neither of them had ever publicly said anything about their marriage and sought professional help in confidence - whether the could have come to a compromise to make the marriage work I doubt but they might have spared us the sordid details, the animosity to a man who has worked very hard for his country but doesn't get high regard because he married the wrong woman and the harm they must have done their children (whom both claim to have loved and yet they both trashed the other parent for all the world to hear - some love!!!).

chrissy57 said:
I do remember Charles as a young man and he was loved.

People started to fall off when Diana started trashing him and people took sides.

Until the late 80s early 90s he was a much loved prince but then Diana had the Morton book written and most people believed her version of events and timetables without ever listening to or even considering his side of the story. I have even read people who have said that they believed Diana's version because a) she said it first AND b) she was beautiful - as if beautiful people can't exaggerate things and only the first version of events can be believed.

NB Personally I wish neither of them had ever publicly said anything about their marriage and sought professional help in confidence - whether the could have come to a compromise to make the marriage work I doubt but they might have spared us the sordid details, the animosity to a man who has worked very hard for his country but doesn't get high regard because he married the wrong woman and the harm they must have done their children (whom both claim to have loved and yet they both trashed the other parent for all the world to hear - some love!!!).

Didn't Charles' tv interview come out first? And I think in all honesty things started going downhill for him when he admitted to adultery against the popular Princess. He pretty much damaged his own reputation on television before millions of watchers and without Diana's help imo.

I think Charles married a 20 year old girl not a woman. And he himself was not a very mature man at 32. There was much wanting on both sides.

Let's not get into Charles vs Diana again. I might have to publish my incredibly libelous opinion of one party and that won't be nice for anyone now will it?

Ava Elizabeth said:

There was also the skiing photo op thing he did with his sons. William answered questions mostly, and very maturely although it turned controversial when that man the POW could not stand asked him about his pending nuptials-and his very personal opinion of the journalist was captured for all posterity on the powerful microphones. Whoops! Thankfully William was there to watch over Papa and keep things running smoothly. Harry didn't say much. I think he mentioned a stag party 'you missed that' but not much more.

Naturally the media skewered the POW the day after that 'interview'.

CBS has a video here:

Prince Charles In Snit With Press
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/03/31/earlyshow/main684251.shtml

Also many years ago as a young child I remember they showed a repeat of an old day in the life documentary "The Royals" I think it is called. My strongest memory of the film is Princess Anne at the barbecue. I don't know if it is available for purchase.

Last edited:
I was glad Prince Charles's comments were overheard. Nicholas Witchell (that bloody man) is indeed extremely irritating and seems to think that because he's the BBC's Royal Correspondant, he's Royal himself. Charles popped his expanding head and brought him down a peg or two. Oh for the days of Jennie Bond.

Thankfully William was there to watch over Papa and keep things running smoothly

Oh yes, he's had far more experience of the media than Charles hasn't he?

If you read the entire Jonathan Dimbleby book, I think it will give you an idea of who the real man is. He seems to feel pulled by many areas of interest -- kind of a jack of all trades, master of none -- and doesn't make a big mark in any one area. That said, you can clearly tell his passions are the environment, working for respect/tolerance among various religious traditions, traditional craftsmenship/architecture, helping youth in their business initiatives, etc. I have wondered if consolidating his personal life (marrying Camilla) will now also have the effect of helping him focus on specific issues even more and bring more depth to his involvement in them. Some of this may come simply from no longer having the emotional exhaustion of trying to get her into his life but having to move slowly for public acceptance. We shall see. The marriage with Diana was a fiasco, no doubt, but most of us have no idea of the complex issues that lead to it's sad demise. Therefore, I choose not to look at that as the issue that defines Prince Charles.

Emily said:
If you read the entire Jonathan Dimbleby book, I think it will give you an idea of who the real man is. He seems to feel pulled by many areas of interest -- kind of a jack of all trades, master of none -- and doesn't make a big mark in any one area. That said, you can clearly tell his passions are the environment, working for respect/tolerance among various religious traditions, traditional craftsmenship/architecture, helping youth in their business initiatives, etc. I have wondered if consolidating his personal life (marrying Camilla) will now also have the effect of helping him focus on specific issues even more and bring more depth to his involvement in them. Some of this may come simply from no longer having the emotional exhaustion of trying to get her into his life but having to move slowly for public acceptance. We shall see. The marriage with Diana was a fiasco, no doubt, but most of us have no idea of the complex issues that lead to it's sad demise. Therefore, I choose not to look at that as the issue that defines Prince Charles.

It's never too late but as the man is pushing sixty I hope he makes his mark very soon. After the skiing/fiasco interview the press was saying that this was the 'real' Prince Charles but obviously they are biased. William WAS clearly holding Charles up in that strange scenario and it did not show his father to good advantage. It was touching the way Wills kept his hand on his father's thigh saying 'keep smiling' when Charles asked him 'what do I do?'. Charles has the greater experience but to William displaying charm (and calm) before all the World seems to come more naturally (thank his mother).

Charles HAS done much good in particular with his Prince's Trust and I hope his sons keep it going after his death in his memory.

Queen Mary I said:
Didn't Charles' tv interview come out first? And I think in all honesty things started going downhill for him when he admitted to adultery against the popular Princess. He pretty much damaged his own reputation on television before millions of watchers and without Diana's help imo.
I think Charles married a 20 year old girl not a woman. And he himself was not a very mature man at 32. There was much wanting on both sides.
The first thing that came out was the Morton book and that is really when the attitude to Charles changed.

Until the book came out most people felt that they were doing ok together even though there were hints on things - such as the story about separate bedrooms on a trip to Hong Kong and being apart on her 30th birthday but they, to many people, were just little hitches and not big issues.

This comment is only to get the chronology of what happened first correct - Morton book, Dimbleby book and interview, then Panorama interview - divorce, Diana's death.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morton Book, Diana's tape, Camillagate Tape,Separation, Dimbleby Interview, Dimbleby' Book, Camilla's divource, Diana's interview, Charles's Divource,and Diana's death. We shall see how things became terribly during the five years.
Dimbleby's project began before Morton's book's publishment. It is a double project to celebrate Charles's investure for 25 years as Prince of Wales. If Morton's book was not published, Charles would not confess his adultery in his interview and there would not be too many details about him, Diana, and Camilla. Both parties were wrong to use fire to fight each other. They burned themselves finally.
Charles is such a hard working man and makes many achievement. He is the man ahead of our time with a long term view about the future. He deserves more recognition and respect about his work. I do hope that his blissful and stable marriage with Camilla can help people to see more about his work not his private life.

love_cc said:
Charles is such a hard working man and makes many achievement. He is the man ahead of our time with a long term view about the future. He deserves more recognition and respect about his work. I do hope that his blissful and stable marriage with Camilla can help people to see more about his work not his private life.

I agree that he is very hard working and is certainly ahead of his time -- at the very least, his environmental interests stem from before he purchased Highgrove House and turned it into a working, organic farm. In this issue, he does have his father to thank -- even if the Duke walks around with his foot in his mouth some of the time! And, despite criticism, there has been much learned from his creation of Poundbury -- something he at least stuck his neck out and tried. I do believe his heart is in the right place much of the time.

I have been to events where Charles has spoken, not only is he knowledgeable about the subject he is speaking on but, he really does have a good British sense of humour. As I have found on this forum, British humour can be misunderstood.

I think what some people mistake for self pity is just a wry comment. The media always tries to predispose peoples opinions with their headlines.

Prince Charles was a very popular Prince before Diana 'let slip' a few negative comments to the press, the Morton book and what followed, just made 'sides' more intense in their beliefs. A decline that is, with the help of Camilla, being reversed.:)

Last edited:
BeatrixFan said:
He doesn't need to command respect. He's earning it through his good work - and whatever anyone says about his marriage etc he's a very hard worker and has done some amazing things for charity and other causes he feels strongly about.

that is very true. Cindy Lauper once said that a true artist continues making music even thought no one is listening.. I think the same is true with humanitarians. Prince Charles continues to help people even though he gets no admiration or attention for it. That shows his true personality. It may frustrate him that his faults are more famous than he is, but fact that he hasn't given up on himself and his life, shows that he truely is a great humanitarian and human being.

Sorry I don't know when he said these...thanks to brainyquote..

"I learned the way a monkey learns - by watching its parents."

"I sometimes wonder if two thirds of the globe is covered in red carpet. "

"That's called a microphone. It's a big sausage that picks up everything you say - and you're starting early."

more from allgreatquotes

I know that my ideas are sometimes portrayed as old-fashioned. Well, they may be. But what I am concerned about are the things that are timeless regardless of the age that we live in. Also I have been around long enough to see what were at the time thought of as old-fashioned ideas now come into vogue.----Speech, November 2004

All the time I feel I must justify my existence.

What's wrong with everyone nowadays? What is it that makes everyone seem to think they are qualified to do things far beyond their technical capabilities? This is all to do with the learning culture in schools. It is a consequence of a child-centred system which admits no failure and tells people they can be pop stars, high court judges, brilliant TV personalities or even infinitely more competent heads of state without ever putting ikn the necessary effort or having natural abilities. It's social utopianism which believes humanity can be genetically and socially re-engineeered to contradict the lessons of history. What on earth am I to say to Elaine in reply? She's so PC it frightens me rigid.----Hand-written note by Prince Charles dismissing efforts by personal assistant Elaine Day by be trained for a higher-level post

Skydragon said:
I have been to events where Charles has spoken, not only is he knowledgeable about the subject he is speaking on but, he really does have a good British sense of humour. As I have found on this forum, British humour can be misunderstood.
The GOOD British humor is understood, the dry wit is very funny but many times Charles's sense of humor is kinda sad (like his father's and pretty much everyone in his family) so that's why almost no one laughs when he's using it

Last edited by a moderator:
crisiñaki said:
The GOOD British humor is understood, the dry wit is very funny but many times Charles's sense of humor is kinda sad (like his father's and pretty much everyone in his family) so that's why almost no one laughs when he's using it

As we all know, humour is very individual, what you find funny might horrify me and vice versa. We watched an American, (Joan Rivers) last night. We thought she was funny, some of the audience were clearly shocked and if they hadn't paid good money, would have walked out. Apparently she is not allowed to use some of the material she used in the states.

A lot of people are left chuckling for hours after attending an event where Prince Charles is speaking. I have to say I have never seen anyone looking puzzled or not laughing at some of his observations.

Before he was married, Charles visited a sheep farm and tried his hand shearing sheeps. The process entails holding the sheep between your knees and turning it around as you shear.

At one point, the razor got a little too close to his crotch and he had to make a sharp move backwards. He said later, "The dynasty almost ended back there." :D

ysbel said:
Before he was married, Charles visited a sheep farm and tried his hand shearing sheeps. The process entails holding the sheep between your knees and turning it around as you shear.

At one point, the razor got a little too close to his crotch and he had to make a sharp move backwards. He said later, "The dynasty almost ended back there." :D

Now I find that funny and indicative of his sense of humour.

He also said once, when meeting Susan George who was wearing a daringly lowcut halter dress in the 70s style,

"My father told me that when I meet a woman like you, I should look at them directly in the eyes."

The funny thing was, he wasn't looking her directly in the eyes. :D

I Belive hes a good man :) I Mean he has faults but dont we all ? hes a great Father ! and will be a very good King I Think:)

Has anyone else watched this yet, I put the newspaper reports of it in The current events thread here

I thought it was really good. It showed the interaction between the boys and their father and how funny they all were.:D When they were describing how 'papa' had come off his polo pony during a match and Harry suggested that instead of choking, he was snoring! William said not to worry, they won the match anyway! :D

Last edited:
I saw the 10 minutes? or so they showed on Dateline (Thanks Warren) tonight. I really enjoyed of what they showed. Hopefully NBC tomorrow morning will show other parts of the interview.
It looked like the boys and their father have a good relationship and they can be quite funny.
The interview in the UK was an hour, I believe ,what else did they show and talk about? Does a transcript exist anyone know?

Warren said:
In Australia it will be shown on the 7 Network on Wednesday 24th at 8.30pm.

Thanks Warren, I'll look forward to watching it.

Personally I have a lot of respect for Charles. He is committed to what he believes in and tries to do something about it. He's shown he is as human as the rest of us and has made mistakes in his personal life but, haven't we all. The only thing I agree with Diana about is that he may find the role of King confining.

cde said:
The interview in the UK was an hour, I believe ,what else did they show and talk about? Does a transcript exist anyone know?

The interview was 30 minutes in the UK.:)

I Think u guys got extra I Saw only like 25 mins It was pretty good couldve been longer though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom