General News for the Wales Family 1: September 2022-March 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if it was a good decision not to be upfront about the reason for the surgery.

Wishing Kate a very speedy recovery and a restful recuperation. Also sending my best wishes to William. I can't imagine how taxing it is emotionally to be dealing with health concerns for both his wife and father at the same time.

Poor Kate. I once spent 3 weeks in the hospital and had another three months of recovery on top of that so my heart goes out to her. Here's hoping whatever needed to be repaired heals quickly and that she's back to full strength soon.

Sounds like a major surgery indeed… Glad to hear that she’s in safe hands at hospital and that the surgery was a success

Wishing H.R.H a swift and complete recovery

Last edited:
When so little information has been made available, I understand that a certain amount of speculation is hard to resist, but this is yet another reminder that doing so in this case is both disrespectful and against forum rules. Several posts have been edited or deleted, so going forward make sure that the discussion is limited to the available facts.

When so little information has been made available, I understand that a certain amount of speculation is hard to resist, but this is yet another reminder that doing so in this case is both disrespectful and against forum rules. Several posts have been edited or deleted, so going forward make sure that the discussion is limited to the available facts.

I agree, the reports has said its not cancer so that is at least one good thing. It could be anything we just don't or may not know

I wish her well but it’s pretty obvious this wasn’t as planned as they claimed. Not with cancelled engagements and tours are happening. Hope for a speedy recovery.

I wish her well but it’s pretty obvious this wasn’t as planned as they claimed. Not with cancelled engagements and tours are happening. Hope for a speedy recovery.

Planned as in not an emergency. She wasn't rushed to the hospital and ended up on the surgeon's table. It clearly wasn't planned months in advance either (as engagement and tours are), which is hardly ever is the case for a medical procedure (even if someone is on a waiting list for months, they don't know until probably days or weeks in advance when the surgery is going to take place). So, this surgery was 'scheduled' or in their words 'planned'.

I think what they were probably trying to say is it wasn’t emergency surgery.

It was planned- just likely on rather short notice given the cancellations.

Hopefully, she has a speedy and smooth recovery.

My best wishes for a speedy and easy recovery. It does indeed sound like it must have been a rather serious issue requiring extensive repair. I'm glad to hear that it appears unrelated to any sort of cancer. That certainly is what immediately springs to mind with this sort of news. That said, as someone who has undergone a couple of abdominal surgeries myself, even in the best of cases it can be extremely painful to recover from. Wishing her all the best and hoping that she will eventually share more as she feels comfortable. Certainly depending on what the exact nature of the issue is this could be a good opportunity to encourage women to have symptoms checked, pay attention to their own health, etc. should she feel comfortable sharing once she's recuperated.

In addition, my best wishes to the Prince of Wales who is certainly not having an easy few days. In addition to what appears to be a major surgery for his wife and caring for his no doubt very concerned children, his father has now announced the need for his own surgery to deal with an enlarged prostate. William must be feeling stretched quite thin this week.

A speedy and hopefully a easy Recuperation for the Princess of Wales. However, I am with many others here.....a 10 day plus hospitalization IS concerning.
Especially with all the resources available to her to convalesce in comfort and private with the best of Nursing Care to available at their home at Kensington Palace. Which, unlike Adelaide Cottage could accommodate a Nurse, Equipment or Health Aides staying there.

Last edited:
Planned as in not an emergency. She wasn't rushed to the hospital and ended up on the surgeon's table. It clearly wasn't planned months in advance either (as engagement and tours are), which is hardly ever is the case for a medical procedure (even if someone is on a waiting list for months, they don't know until probably days or weeks in advance when the surgery is going to take place). So, this surgery was 'scheduled' or in their words 'planned'.

That makes more sense though Kate would never be on a waitlist. So she wouldn’t have that concern. So while not an emergency surgery it clearly still was a bit unexpected. Again wishing for a speedy recovery.

A speedy and hopefully a easy Recuperation for the Princess of Wales. However, I am with many others here.....a 10 day plus hospitalization IS concerning.
Especially with all the resources available to her to convalesce in comfort and private with the best of Nursing Care to available at their home at Kensington Palace. Which, unlike Adelaide Cottage could accommodate a Nurse, Equipment or Health Aides staying there.
My thoughts as well. 10 days is quite a while for recuperating.

So I just saw this on DM. Has the surgery already happened? Maybe her days in the hospital are almost half way done. [.....] I'm sorry I know it's none of our business, I'm a basket case because I've recently experienced health issues with people I love. God bless Kate and her family. Those poor kids must be so scared.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I just saw this on DM. Has the surgery already happened? Maybe her days in the hospital are almost half way done. [.....] I'm sorry I know it's none of our business, I'm a basket case because I've recently experienced health issues with people I love. God bless Kate and her family. Those poor kids must be so scared.

She was admitted yesterday, then had surgery today. The surgery appears to have been successful

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing to note is that when they say someone could be in the hospital for 10-12 days and will recuperate for 12 weeks, that's pretty much the standard guesstimate. I've had abdominal surgery where they told me the same thing, but I was well enough to go home in three days, and I was well enough to drive in a week. (But I was tired for weeks.)

I hope that's the case with Kate, and the projections of how long her stay will be are just the standard estimates, not a sign of something concerning.

A speedy recovery to her!

She was admitted yesterday, then had surgery today. The surgery appears to have been successful

Thank you. With how much I freaked out you'd think I knew the girl. Strength to Prince William as well, he has such deep love for that girl.

I was in for 5 days after abdominal surgery (hysterectomy), but the National Health Service send you home as soon as possible as they need the beds for other patients, which won't be an issue with Kate. I wasn't allowed to drive for 6 weeks, and was told that it would be 3 months before I'd fully recovered. So it sounds fairly standard.

I was in for 5 days after abdominal surgery (hysterectomy), but the National Health Service send you home as soon as possible as they need the beds for other patients, which won't be an issue with Kate. I wasn't allowed to drive for 6 weeks, and was told that it would be 3 months before I'd fully recovered. So it sounds fairly standard.

From what I understand, she is staying at a private hospital, so the NHS need to vacate the bed as soon as possible should not be an issue, should it?

Abdominal stuff is scary and painful; glad Catherine is in good hands getting the medical care she needs. I am also relieved that it wasn’t emergency surgery nor cancerous. Prayers for them all!

Fortunately, prostate surgery and treatment is more mainstream - I know plenty of men who’ve had this. But that doesn’t make it any less scary for the patient!

I’m glad Charles has Camilla , Catherine has William and they both have her parents as well!

From what I understand, she is staying at a private hospital, so the NHS need to vacate the bed as soon as possible should not be an issue, should it?

No, so she'll probably stay in a few days longer than usual..

Recovery time for abdominal surgery with an incision can be extended. While a normal incision heals quickly, it is uncomfortable for several days, the sutures have to be removed or the incision assessed, progress evaluated, and then on to rest and recovery. In a public health care system, patients are often discharged early and return to a clinic for suture removal (if required) and further assessment. As a private patient, the Princess will likely have a different timeline for hospitalization. Physicians in any system might recommend anywhere from six weeks to three months off work, depending on the nature of the surgery. I'm sure that all are hoping for the Princess' speedy recovery.

Last edited:
Abdominal surgery is fairly unpleasant, both the prep and recovery. In fact it really hurts.:sad:

I wish HRH as speedy and smooth recovery as possible.

Well wishes to her and the family!

I am so curious to know what kind of surgery she had that would put her in the hospital for 2 weeks. When I had robotic abdominal surgery I couldn't wait to get out of the hospital.

I wish her a comfortable and speedy recovery, and I hope the media give her the space she needs until she's fully healed.

I am so curious to know what kind of surgery she had that would put her in the hospital for 2 weeks. When I had robotic abdominal surgery I couldn't wait to get out of the hospital.

They may have given the longer end of the actual time range to avoid further speculation. If her physicians said something like she’d have to stay one to two weeks, based on how her recovery goes, it makes sense to say up to two weeks in the statement, even if it’s more likely she’ll be out sooner.

I expect they’ll give the public at least a little more information about what happened once things have settled down.

I wish the Princess a speedy recovery.

I had two c-sections, which is also major abdominal surgery and the recovery can be challenging. She will not be allowed to drive for at least 6 weeks, and will be on light duties at home too.

They may have given the longer end of the actual time range to avoid further speculation. If her physicians said something like she’d have to stay one to two weeks, based on how her recovery goes, it makes sense to say up to two weeks in the statement, even if it’s more likely she’ll be out sooner.

I expect they’ll give the public at least a little more information about what happened once things have settled down.
The 10-14 days in hospital is rather surprising, but as you say it's the top range of days you'd expect to be in hospital for any major surgery. Given how fit she is, I wouldn't be surprised if she is home earlier

Last edited:
I wish the Princess a speedy recovery.

I had two c-sections, which is also major abdominal surgery and the recovery can be challenging. She will not be allowed to drive for at least 6 weeks, and will be on light duties at home too.

The 10-14 days in hospital is rather surprising, but as you say it's the top range of days you'd expect to be in hospital for any major surgery. Given how fit she is, I wouldn't be surprised if she is home earlier

It is quite surprising but indicates that it was a major abdominal surgery involving a significant incision. I imagine they decided to give the maximum expected hospital stay with the hope of leaving early. Much easier, press wise, to say one is leaving early rather than having to say the Princess will be extending her stay in the hospital increasing any concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom