General News about Madeleine, Chris, and Leonore, Part 1: April 2014 - June 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview with Chris in Expressen:

Nu svarar Chris om bolagen och rollerna | Nyheter | Expressen

So, like I thought, the 5% ownership by an outsider has something to do with protection against creditors.

I wonder what the 3rd company is that Madeleine has 5% interest in?

Chris says that appointing Madeleine as vice president/ceo was a temporary solution so that he could open a bank account. He didn't consult/inform the king when they decided to involve Madeleine in his companies, because he felt everything was unproblematic and there was no need to it. Chris didn't want to tell the exact amount of his companies and told the reporter to do his own research. Chris also reminded that technically he is not a member of the royal family.
This I find interesting:
Chris is asked: Was it your idea to involve her?
Chris answers: No, no. Never.
He gets quiet and says: Yes, yes. No, no, no.
Yes, of course it was. Yes, yes, yes.

Aftonbladet quotes Expressen
The King knew nothing about Madeleine's businesses
Kungen visste ingenting om Madeleines affärer | Nyheter | Hälsa | Aftonbladet

Expressen's royal reporter Johan T Lindwall in his column:
They break the royal rules
Sorry, Chris, but this does not hold.
To register two companies in USA with the princess as "vice president" is totally against the royal rules.
Lindwall about Chris saying that making Madeleine a vice president was a technical formality: It isn't that simple, especially in the swedish royal family a royal title is not consistent with the simultaneous pursuit of business. The king has been very careful with that it would put the royal family in unnecessary conflict of interest situations. We all remember Daniel had to give up his entire professional career. As the husband of the next Queen Daniel could not like Chris refuse to become a prince. He will always be at the Queen's side and he must have a royal title.
Madeleine is well aware that she under any circumstances can't sit at the management of a commercial U.S. Company, yet she enrolled as the vice president, completely against the royal rules. Did they not think this would be discovered? That Madeleine could be included in the company - far away from Sweden - without reaching a wider audience? Did they want to give the companies a little royal star gloss? Or is this simply a first step for Madeleine to a new career in USA?
De bryter mot de kungliga reglerna | Johan T Lindwall | Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
Margareta Thorgren explained the matter to Aftonbladet, she said that they had discussed about it with Madeleine and Chris.
- We have spoken to them. Princess Madeleine's ownership is entirely unproblematic. What is happening now is a storm in a tea-kettle. Princess's five percent stake is a formality matter. The title of VP, vice president is a very common position regarding American companies that has now been removed. Madeleine has no role in the company and is not a director or employee and she does not take a salary. There is no profit motive.
If there was not a problem, why was her title taken away ?
- This has raised questions about Madeleine's participation in the company. So that there would be no misunderstanding was Madeleine's title taken away.
Has the King been informed of this?
- Obviously, the king has been informed. Discussion of Chris company began long before Chris O'Neill and Madeleine's wedding. That was when the statements about Chris' possible prince title were made.
Kungen vägrar kommentera Maddes affärer Nyheter Aftonbladet

From Expressen
The court refused to reveal the name of the third company Madeleine is involved in.
- I can understand that such a small minority holdings unrelated to business operations is a private matter, says the king's solicitor Axel Calissendorff.
Is this a real estate holdings?
- I leave no information. I just generally comment. You have information about the applicable business. Otherwise, there is nothing.
He admits that the court is aware of what it is for the type of company, but he would not say how long they have had the information.
- I have tried to find Chris to hear how he looks at his previous statements. I can explain what I am convinced is the background. He has left out information on cases where Madeleine has been "vice president" in, which is not the same than "vice ceo". The third company is different since she is not and never has been "vice president" or any kind of company official. What is true is that she owns five percent. It does not give right to dividends. She is not and has not been employed. It is a private possession. Exactly why he did not want to say the name of it I do not know.
According to the court, the Princess has not done anything that jeopardizes her position as heir to the throne.
- Princess Madeleine has not been guilty of any violation of any rule or policy that she has ownership interests in companies with five percent. It is unproblematic and there is also a pure practical formality, said Margareta Thorgren, the Director of the Press department.
She points out that other members of the royal family also has ownership interests in various companies.
- In the court policy on company matters it is among other things, that the royal family should not be included on the boards of for-profit companies, not be president or vice president, or, do not take full-time employment. However, there is no obstacle to that a royal person is the owner of the company. But here comes the aptitude questions in, one must always take sides in any case, what kind of company you might be going in. Obviously, the suitability issue really important but going into the company, there is no obstacle against. Prince Carl Philip conducts business in corporate form, Prince Daniel the same, and the king also: Stenhammar, Solliden, there are two types of companies. However, one should not be part of any board or be employed by or to be ceo or vice ceo.
Madeleine engagerad i ytterligare ett bolag Nyheter Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
Thanks for informing us, LadyFinn. :flowers:

What's your opinion? Do you think this is an indication that Madeleine is moving gradually further away from the official SRF? Or was it just thoughtlessness?

Thanks for informing us, LadyFinn. :flowers:

What's your opinion? Do you think this is an indication that Madeleine is moving gradually further away from the official SRF? Or was it just thoughtlessness?

Although this isn't such a big thing, I think that this is still a small mess. I found it odd that Chris and Madeleine didn't ask from the king before Madeleine was made a vice president. And Chris said yesterday that Madeleine was made as vice president just so that he could open a bank account, and then Madeleine's name was taken away as vice president. He made it sound that Madeleine was vice president just a few days. But the director of the press department, Margareta Thorgren said "This has raised questions about Madeleine's participation in the company. So that there would be no misunderstanding was Madeleine's title taken away." It gives me the impression that Madeleine was the vice president for a longer time. But this is just a speculation, one could also speculate that Chris and Madeleine tried if the information and Madeleine's status as the vice president could be keeped as a secret and the press would not find that out.
And Madeleine surely knows the court policy about the members of the royal family in business, since it was discussed quite much when Daniel was made a prince and he had to step up from his active role in his companies. And again last year when Chris decided that the didn't want to become a member of the royal family since he wanted to continue his business career.
About Madeleine resigning from her royal title and living permanently in USA, I don't know. For now it seems that she wants to be as private as possible and not to do normal royal duties but at the same time she holds very tight of her HRH title and doesn't want to give it away.

Last edited:
Thanks for your opinion, LadyFinn. :)

Well, I guess we are all allowed to make mistakes, especially in the beginning.
The business world of New York may seem far away from Sweden, especially if you are used to be in charge.

I think that the whole situation with Madeleines involvement in Chris' companies is very unfortunate. Not a dealbreaker, but not well handled either.

My five cents:
I think that if Madeleine could have chosen herself, she would have given up the HRH-title and just be princess Madeleine, Mrs O'Neill. I think that it's the king who wants her - and perhaps even more important - her daughter to be in line of succession. We hade a situation here in Sweden when the current kings father was killed in a plane crash. He was less than a year old when he became crown prince. If his uncle Bertil hadn't stepped in (with all that it meant for him, like not marrying Lilian), we could have had a situation when the line of succession simply was no line at all.

Our current king may not be the best one ever, but I think that he is determined to do whatever he can to make sure that the monarchy doesn't find itself in the same situation again. I personally believe that Victoria and Daniel are having some problems with a sibling (the spare) for Estelle. I don't think that she came along easily either. If they end up with just one child, princess Leonore is the only spare in the family. Carl Philip isn't married, and even though he and Sofia might walk down the aisle later on, there is not guarantee they will have children.

So all in all: if Victoria and Daniel har more children, and/or Carl Philip becomes a father, I think that the king will allow Madeleine and her children to withdraw from the public eye and renounce their HRH-titles. And to sum up, I also think the her (small but still important) role in her husbands companies are one step towards her becoming more of Mrs O'Neill rather than HRH princess Madeleine of Sweden.

Last edited:
:previous:That is a very intelligent comment, and it sure points the way for the monarchy to survive. Your very insightful in regards to situation. I really love Victoria and Daniel, they are such wonderful and thoughtful parents and their parenting skills are beyond anything I have seen of royal children. Their daughter is one very lucky young lady to have them as parents for at her age she is way beyond her years. I hope they can have other children, they would be such a blessing to them and to Sweden.
Do you know how the people feel about SH if she married Prince Carl? Her background leaves a lot to be desired from all comments from the media and others..........just wondering!

Telephone interview with Chris on the situation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InPKjRCsAQY

Chris is not great at speaking diplomatic royal language, he is quite clumsy in how he expresses himself about the situation. Probably did not take many law classes when he was at Columbia Business School ;-)

Halfway throughout the interview, he says something like "we own a house and what is someone falls into your pool". Not very diplomatic if you ask me.
During the interview after the birth he answered to a journalist about the baby's name "I would tell it, I would, but I am not allowed".

Yet, I like his honest way of speaking to the media.

General News about Madeleine, Chris and Leonore, Part 1: April 2014 -

My five cents:
I think that if Madeleine could have chosen herself, she would have given up the HRH-title and just be princess Madeleine, Mrs O'Neill. I think that it's the king who wants her - and perhaps even more important - her daughter to be in line of succession. We hade a situation here in Sweden when the current kings father was killed in a plane crash. He was less than a year old when he became crown prince. If his uncle Bertil hadn't stepped in (with all that it meant for him, like not marrying Lilian), we could have had a situation when the line of succession simply was no line at all.

Our current king may not be the best one ever, but I think that he is determined to do whatever he can to make sure that the monarchy doesn't find itself in the same situation again. I personally believe that Victoria and Daniel are having some problems with a sibling (the spare) for Estelle. I don't think that she came along easily either. If they end up with just one child, princess Leonore is the only spare in the family. Carl Philip isn't married, and even though he and Sofia might walk down the aisle later on, there is not guarantee they will have children.

So all in all: if Victoria and Daniel har more children, and/or Carl Philip becomes a father, I think that the king will allow Madeleine and her children to withdraw from the public eye and renounce their HRH-titles. And to sum up, I also think the her (small but still important) role in her husbands companies are one step towards her becoming more of Mrs O'Neill rather than HRH princess Madeleine of Sweden.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. As I wrote in a post here yesterday I've heard rumours about Madeleine wanting to abandon her HRH at the time of her marriage but that her father wouldn't allow it. I've also thought about that Victoria might not have another child, she's 40 in a few years

Bunte, which started the whole discussion about Madeleine's involvement in Chris' companies
Madeleine von Schweden Krise im Königshaus! BUNTE.de

No one of us knows if Victoria had difficulties of getting Estelle. She and Daniel might just have wanted to work a year together as a couple before they started a family.

Last edited:
Don't want to speculate but I think that the facts about Madeleine detaining her title and slowly making Leonore of a "real princess" might be a clear sign that no other children are going to be born from Victoria. I stand to be corrected though1 (Happily :))

Madeleine, Chris and Leonore get a bigger apartment at Royal Mews (where Madeleine has been living), the court confirms.
- The family has gotten bigger and needs more space, said Margareta Thorgren.
How big the apartment is or where in the house it is the court would not comment.
- For safety reasons, we do not go out with it, says Thorgren.
The apartment has been renovated for a long time and it is hoped that the princess and her family should be able to move in during Leonore's first visit to Sweden.
The security is also an important matter.
- Little Princess Leonore will stay there and she is listed in the order of succession. These are that kind of security measures man does. It is natural and is made in consultation with SÄPO, says Thorgren.
The apartment will be used as overnight accommodation during the visits in Sweden and in connection with official duties. The court will not tell what the renovation cost, but points out that all the renovations in the Royal Mews is funded by the National Property Board.
Thorgren didn't want to comment for the rent of the apartment.
Aftonbladet avslöjar Prinsessan Madeleine får ny lya i Hovstallet Nyheter Aftonbladet

Expressen tells about the new apartment and has also listed Madeleine's visits to Sweden "Check out - so few times she has been in Sweden"

Madeleine gets a new luxury accommodation from her father the king.
Just in time before returning home from New York and the christening of Princess Leonore, they move into a large new home in the Royal Mews in Östermalm. However, it will stand empty for most of the year. Last year the family was in Sweden only a few times.
Margareta Thorgren to Expressen:
- The apartment will be available when Princess Madeleine and family visit Sweden. How often it will be I can't answer now. The princess has had a flat in the Royal Mews in many years. She chooses to live the same way. The flat is replaced with another apartment, because she has a larger family and because of safety reasons.
Princess Madeleine has since she moved to the United States only been home in Stockholm at large official celebrations as National Day and last autumn king's 40 years on the throne and traditional celebration of Christmas with the royal family. Otherwise, she has lived in her and Chris O'Neill's new floor in New York.
- Of course it's good that there is a solid base when Princess Madeleine comes home to Sweden, says Thorgren.
It has been speculated that Villa Parkudden on Djurgården might be the princess' new home in Sweden.
The house has been empty for a long, but now it seems that Madeleine has completely given up the plans.
- The Royal Mews has many apartments, Princess choose to stay there, explains Thorgren.
The renovation of the new floor has been going on for some time and the court explains that "hopefully the renovation will be completed on time."
- Otherwise, there are other temporary solutions, says Thorgren who doesn't want to reveal the rent: That information we do not go out with. But it is normal market rent.
Madeleines nya lya – blir den färdig i tid Nyheter Expressen
Translation

The cover of Expressen
Madde lets the new luxury apartment stay empty for the most time of the year
http://b.cdn-expressen.se/ImageHand...e-4964-8dca-0d4ad5f32f03&imageFormat=original

Last edited:
Expressen:
Princess Madeleine's new luxury apartment in the Royal Mews in central Stockholm cost 6.8 million SEK to renovate.
Most are paid by taxpayers.
- There has been a complete renovation that has covered all surfaces, water, sewage, electricity ventilation, given reconfiguration of the floor plan. Then, parts of it are billed as an option, that is to say that you've ordered a little over standard. The person who had lived there previously had lived there a long time and there was a need for renovation. It is not unusual renovation, we do with all tenants, says Lotta Günther, manager at the National Property Board.
The apartment has five rooms and a kitchen, but Lotta Günther doesn't want to say how many square meters there are.
- It's pretty big, she says.
How high will the rent be?
- It is not quite set yet because the final cost is not really clear. Otherwise, we always rent under public housing rent setting model.
What do similar apartments usually cost?
- 1200 SEK per square meter.
Where do you sent the contract of the rent?
- We send it to the Office of the Governor of the Royal Palaces. But as I said, the agreement is not clear yet, and will not take effect until July 1.
http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/sa-mycket-kostade-maddes-lyxlagenhet/
Translation

Last edited:
Don't want to speculate but I think that the facts about Madeleine detaining her title and slowly making Leonore of a "real princess" might be a clear sign that no other children are going to be born from Victoria. I stand to be corrected though1 (Happily :))

Princess Leonore is currently n°2 in succession line, but I think that it should not lead to any further restrictive speculations, premature in my mind!!

She is? I thought Estelle was 2nd. Victoria 1st, Estelle 2nd, Carl-Phillip 3rd and Madeleine 4th. Making Leonore 5th in succession line.

You are correct about the line of succession Victoria is 1st; Estelle 2nd, Carl Philip 3rd, Madeleine 4th and Leonore 5th.

Madeleinie has given an interview to Expressen:

Madeleine: "Feeling misunderstood"
Madeleine tells that she is longing all the time back home to Sweden. She is proud to come home with Leonore. All this stuff around her makes her feel misunderstood. Feels like it increasingly becomes like this around her person, unfortunately.
Then she reveals: We will spend at least three months a year in Sweden and Europe.

It has been storming around the couple because of the information that Madeleine was vice president of two of her husband's companies and a new larger apartment at the Royal Mews. Madeleine says that when it comes to companies in the U.S., Chris has already answered the questions.
About the debate around their new apartment and that it has been renovated with 6.8 million SEK Madeleine wants to point out that there were other options that would have cost much more and been much larger: Villa Parkudden was long an option, but it is 900 square meters and not a living if they do not live full time in Sweden. The Royal Mews is because of safety and cost the best option. Of course they must have an accommodation while they are in Sweden.
She feels the criticism of the new floor is "undeserved": There are five rooms and a kitchen. It has not been renovated in extremely long and had, whether they would move in, being renovated. Madeleine clarifies on costs: They will pay the rent themselves. Thus private. Nothing is going from the apanage. It is their private money.

Madeleine says that she and Chris are extremely proud and excited to come home with Leonore and show her to friends and family and especially for the Swedish people. The baptism they want to share to all of Sweden. They will be with the rest of the royal family at the National Day celebrations at Skansen, but this year they have a duty of honor from the king. Madeleine and Chris will open the Palace to the public. It will be told officially later this week.
Madeleine Känner mig missförstådd Nyheter Expressen
Translation

Yes, probably they spend three months in a year in Sweden and Europe, about two months in the summer, two weeks during the Christmas and the rest a couple of times during the year. It looks good when it is written at the article. But how many work events Madeleine does during the year in Sweden?
It's good that Madeleine tells that they will pay the rent themselves. And about renovating the new home at the Royal Mews, yes, it would have been renovated for some other new tenants too, but I doubt with 6,8 million SEK (750 000 euros). And there would have been the two wing houses of Drottningholm Palace (Victoria lived there many years alone and later with Daniel until they moved to Haga) where they could have stayed while being in Sweden.
What a disappointment, I was hoping to see Estelle with her parents opening the Open Palace again on the National Day like last year.

Last edited:
I do not find EUR 780k to be very expensive for renovating a city apartment. What do the Swedes expect, that she lives in a caravan while in Sweden????

Hopefully we see a bit of little Leonore on National Day. Taking her to the event would be a bit more spontaneous than what we will get to see at the baptism.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous::whistling::whistling::whistling:I don't think Maddie's little girl is going to be up walking and talking by National Day......it would be great if she was but don't think so.....llolololo

I think its great that Princess Madeleine and Chris will open the Royal Palace this year...its nice to see new faces each year...it would otherwise get boring...and I'm looking forward to hearing her speech...we dont hear her voice very often

I agree, 780.000 euros for the renovation of an old property is not excessive. The question is of course who should pay for it.

The princess is planning to spend 3 months per year in Sweden, that is more than she does at present I believe. I wonder if she is slowly preparing her husband for a complete move to Sweden.

I don't understand the outcry about the princess being involved in her husbands company. People should be happy that she has a life of her own IMHO. The new press department is doing a better job than the previous one btw.

question is: what does she do when she is in sweden for 3 months. privately enjoying her home country or working for the crown..

I agree, 780.000 euros for the renovation of an old property is not excessive. The question is of course who should pay for it.

The princess is planning to spend 3 months per year in Sweden, that is more than she does at present I believe. I wonder if she is slowly preparing her husband for a complete move to Sweden.

I don't understand the outcry about the princess being involved in her husbands company. People should be happy that she has a life of her own IMHO. The new press department is doing a better job than the previous one btw.

Like said before, the problem of Madeleine being involved with Chris' company was that she was listed as vice president which could mean that she was the vice ceo. Being a shareholder isn't a problem. At The Royal Household's policy regarding company matters it is said that the Royal Family may not:
Be members of the boards of commercial companies
Be ceo or vice ceo
Be full-time employees
The court has just put the press release of the policy regarding company matters to their website
Policy kring Kungafamiljens ägande av bolag - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Madeleine didn't say that they will spend three months per year in Sweden, she said that they will spend at least three months per year in Sweden and Europe. During the time they have been together, they have spend a lot of time visiting Chris' mother and sister in London, Chris' sister in Austria, and had long holidays with their friends in Europe.
Until Madeleine shows otherwise, I think that the summer holiday (about two months) is included in the three months they are going to spend in Sweden and Europe. The swedish royal family starts normally their summer holiday in mid June, attends at the events on Victoria's birthday in July, the king and queen award the Öland Inhabitant of the Year in July and then the family continue their holiday until about 12th August. In some years big athletic events, funerals and other things like that can affect to their holiday.
Last year Madeleine and Chris were in Sweden in March for a couple of weeks. Then they came to Sweden for the banns of their marriage in mid May and stayed until the wedding and left to their honeymoon. They spent time in Sweden and Europe after their honeymoon and left from Sweden to USA in about 20th August. Then Madeleine was back in Sweden on 6th September, Chris came a little later, they stayed until 19th September. Then they arrived to Sweden in December to queen Silvia's 70th birthday.
Madeleine attended with the royal family in various events during last year. Outside them she had in Sweden two own solo events and one event with Chris.

Last edited:
When do you think they will arrive in Sweden? Probably a few days before their first event on Friday....

When do you think they will arrive in Sweden? Probably a few days before their first event on Friday....

i would have thought she may arrive soon so as to be able to catch up on any royal business / events before the christening... but who knows? in any case, she will surely want to arrive some days before at least to make sure how the prep for the christening is going.

Since it is told at the court calender that Madeleine and Chris will open the gates to the Open Palace at 10.00 on the National Day 6th June, I would guess they will arrive on 4th June or earlier, because of adjusting to the time difference.

Expressen tells that Madeleine and Chris left on 7th May to the Ministry for Foreign Affairs an application for a diplomatic passport for Leonore. The documents witnessed by the Swedish Embassy in Washington show that Leonore on May 7th was 51 cm long and that the passport shall be valid for all countries. As Leonore is born in the U.S., she has not yet a Swedish social security number, only when Madeleine and Chris have registered her at the tax office in Stockholm as she gets a full social security number with the last four digits.
The application states that Leonore gets double surname Bernadotte O'Neill and she's already an American citizen.
On May 13, the passport was picked up by the courier who sent it to the United States.
- However, Princess Leonore has surnames only at the passport. At the registry office, she stands without surname as any other royal, explains Margareta Thorgren from the press department.
The court would not disclose exactly when Leonore arrives to Sweden.
Leonore får eget pass – reser hem för dopet Nyheter Expressen
Translation
The passport at the article is not the real one, it is done by Expressen.

Last edited:
Expressen has an article about Leonore's surname

According to documents to the Ministry for Foreign Affairs for issuing diplomatic passport to Princess Leonore it is shown under the column "surname": Bernadotte O'Neill.
What neither Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill or any officer has thought of is that since 1982 it is not allowed to wear the double surname. Katharina Leibring, name researcher at the Institute for Language and Folklore in Uppsala says that it's right.
But the double surname is of course very common?
- Absolutely, but that is then a surname and a middle name. In this case, Leonore's middle name is Bernadotte and her surname O'Neill. In any case, judging by the way they have filled in the application. But royals shall have no surname, says Leibring.
Tobias Wijk, an expert on national registration marketing issues at the Swedish Tax Agency:
- Most people think that there are two surnames, but it is in fact a middle name and a surname. We often contact parents to make sure which of the names they want to use as a surname.
Palace spokeswoman Margareta Thorgren:
- The royals are registered without surnames, as is Princess Leonore. To minimize problems at passport control, Princess Madeleine and Chris chose indicate two surnames to her passport
So Leonore isn't named as Bernadotte O'Neill as a middle name and surname?
- No, the royals have only first names. This was a practical issue when traveling. Princess Leonore is registered just like the other royals. She has no surname.
Maddes namnstrul inför prinsessdopet Nyheter Expressen
Translation

To me it seems that Expressen is trying their hardest to find something wrong with P.Madeleine... or ate they always this critical concerning royals?

To me it seems that Expressen is trying their hardest to find something wrong with P.Madeleine... or ate they always this critical concerning royals?

They are a newspaper, they make news. It is quite interesting that Madeleine and Chris wrote to the document Bernadotte O'Neill and not O'Neill Bernadotte.

Just out of interest, why DID they fill in a surname when there really isn't a surname? Isn't that forgery of documents? Because I can't fill in a name into my passport that isn't really there, so why should it be allowed in that case? Leonore is just Leonore. End of story. Maybe they could fill in an extra line like "HRH Princess of Sweden" to explain, why there isn't a surname. That would at least be completely right and not lied as it is in case of a surname that isn't really there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom