General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 20: December 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eml

Happy Birthday!
Lovely photograph. Great to see John Donaldson again. I am sure he was delighted to see some of the family in December and no doubt disappointed not to able to travel to Denmark for the proclamation celebrations.
A proud and sincere gentleman.

What a great photo! Prince Vincent is a good photographer.

The Queen's father has obviously aged and looks sick. It was good that she was able to travel to see him in December before becoming Queen.

Love this picture of Mary and her father. Hope she has a wonderful birthday!

I also loved the photo of Queen Mary with her father. :flowers:

I'm glad to see this photo.

John Donaldson has clearly aged and become more frail, but his eyes are alert as always, so it suggests to me that his mind is still sharp. That's a good thing for all of them.

This photo might be taken in Australia, during her holiday vacations. She still was Crown Princess. Am I right?

This photo might be taken in Australia, during her holiday vacations. She still was Crown Princess. Am I right?

Yes, it was taken in December.

And for the first time Queen Mary was celebrated with a 27 shot salute.

When FX has his B-day in May he will also be celebrated with a 27 gun salute.
The reason the salute is the same, is that Queen Mary ranks him in accordance to the protocol.

And for the first time Queen Mary was celebrated with a 27 shot salute.

When FX has his B-day in May he will also be celebrated with a 27 gun salute.
The reason the salute is the same, is that Queen Mary ranks him in accordance to the protocol.

Is there a list of which royals' birthdays receive salutes and how many shots?

The photo is just beautiful. What an honor that she has her father with her still and that she was able to take the time in December to visit. This moments can't be replaced so I am really glad she and the twins got some time to travel, along with Frederik and Isabella.

She really comes out beautiful in this photo, and I spot her "F" necklace ;)

Yes. https://en.kronborg.dk/kanonsalutering

27 shots for FX and Queen Mary.
Don't know how many for QMII or when they board Dannebrog.

BT has compiled 52 trivia about Queen Mary:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/afviste-op...jerne-52-ting-du-ikke-vidste-om-dronning-mary

1) Liam Gallagher kissed her on the hand in 2010. - (I remember that. Apparently She wasn't impressed.)

2) Oprah wished to interview Queen Mary back in 2009 and was turned down. (Most likely by QMII.)

7) She prefer dogs rather than cats.

8) She prefer coffee, no sugar, to Tea.

9) Her favorite color is lilac.

10) She taught King Frederik to appreciate Robbie Williams.

11) She persuaded her husband to drop the cigarettes.

16) According to Christian, his mother is very fond of playing the air-guitar.

19) It was her husband who taught her to curtsy.

47) She dreamed about becoming a vet.

Last edited by a moderator:
The photo is just beautiful. What an honor that she has her father with her still and that she was able to take the time in December to visit. This moments can't be replaced so I am really glad she and the twins got some time to travel, along with Frederik and Isabella.

She really comes out beautiful in this photo, and I spot her "F" necklace ;)

Love this picture of Mary with her father. I noticed the F necklace right away too. I thought that was a good sign, her wearing it while "off the radar" and while not under the scrutiny of the public gossipers. I wish them both the best.

"The TV 2 show EchoPrisen offered a royal triumph in the last category of the evening "Cut of the Year".

The young royals and the royal couple won the award for their dance for Crown Prince Christian's 18th birthday, where Benjamin Hav made a splash with his performance in the hall at Christiansborg Castle."

Frederik Nellemann Linde came from the royal house's communications department, who is the royal house's editor for social media,
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...ehuset-kongeparrets-dansende-boern-var-et-hit

Love that they can still travel privately abroad as a family.
It's the children's school holidays and I hope they enjoy.
I'm sure Margrethe knows the drill ; )

That is not unique to the Danes. We have seen for example Philippe and Mathilde, or Willem-Alexander and Maxima, traveling many times privately with their children overseas.

She's never been Rigsforstander before; so, it's a first for her as well :flowers:

And less than 4 weeks after abdicating... Quite soon to be called back from her retirement :D

She's never been Rigsforstander before; so, it's a first for her as well :flowers:

And less than 4 weeks after abdicating... Quite soon to be called back from her retirement :D

hardly had a chance to put her feet up and rest, and she's back on duty. :unsure: ?

I hope they enjoy the time away. It is pretty customary for them to take these school holidays off. So it is nice they could also do that this year even with all the transitions. Carving out family time is important.

Yesterday, March 5, King Frederik and Queen Mary paid a private visit to Roskilde Cathedral.

** instagram post and gallery **

A special royal tale… It was a bit like getting close to the past when we visited Roskilde Cathedral yesterday afternoon.The impressive cathedral contains a royal time journey of over 500 years. From the beautiful Epiphany Chapel with impressive tombstones for Christian III and Frederik II, over Christian IV's magnificent burial chapel and relatively modest coffin to the Glücksburgernes Kapel, where Christian IX and also Frederik VIII and Christian X and their queens are buried . The visit was made no less lively by the fact that we again had Thomas Thulstrup, who is the museum director of the Kongernes Samling, with us as a dedicated tour guide. Our history and culture are an important part of who we are. We can read about it and read up on it, but it is still something very special to walk around it, as we did yesterday afternoon in the cathedral.🖋️📸 The royal couple.

What a nice relax visit. Glad they shared photos so us too that are far away can see and learn.
Slightly bigger versions of the pictures on the DRF Facebook.

Wonderful!

article on this visit and a previous visit

You know, FX always looks like he's choking himself when he wears scarves like that. At least he looks warm. I'd hate for him to catch a chill. LOL. He should have matched QMary and put his glasses on. ;)

I wonder whether they also discussed their burial plans. His father didn't want to be buried here, his mother's grave monument is already constructed and waiting for her burial to be permanently on display, while his grandparents wanted to be buried just outside of the cathedral. So, many different views...

I am sure that they did. The iron is that one may wait one's life wondering when you will become king and as soon as you become king you have to plan for your death.

I feel like we have barely seen Fred & Mary since they became King & Queen - their engagements seem lighter than ever, I hope they're doing a lot of work behind the scenes but so far they have barely been out and about

I think it may have to do with the fact that they got only a few days notice for their promotion. I know he’s been waiting for this job since he was 4 years old but it does take time to organize an institution to your liking. I think Daisy should have told them at least a year in advance that she would step down. It shouldn’t have been a surprise.

I think it may have to do with the fact that they got only a few days notice for their promotion. I know he’s been waiting for this job since he was 4 years old but it does take time to organize an institution to your liking. I think Daisy should have told them at least a year in advance that she would step down. It shouldn’t have been a surprise.
I suspect that those most affected had way more notice than a few days. I recall a report that stated that Margrethe gave a few days notice regarding some aspect, but I did not interpret that to mean that that was the first notice. Forget Fred and Mary, that would have been an absolute disservice to Christian to have him become the Crown Prince with all that entails.with only a few days notice.

Back
Top Bottom