Future of the Dutch Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
10 years ago it would have been unimaginable but now I'm not so sure .
Queen Beatrix left the Dutch Crown in a stronger position than it is 10 years on.

lol leftist republican parties combine just had their worst results ever a pro monarchy party won I think the crown is very safe.

The big winner of the election - the extreme right PVV of Mr Wilders- wants to decrease the budget of the king with 20% ánd make him pay taxes, which will mean a further decrease of 50%. Or even more if the family fortune will be assessed and taxed.

The party has heavily critisized Queen Beatrix and Princess Máxima in the past for their own benefit. As the party speaks about a 'fake parlament' and 'fake judges' and they seem to want to demolish all institutions in the Netherlands their support for the monarchy may be paper thin at best. Though for now they may have other priorities.

A poll from 2019 shows that the supporters of the extreme right parties PVV and FvD are the least positive about the monarchy. More so than the parties on the left. I suspect that the rise of the populist extreme right and their constant assault on our institutions these last 15 years is a very big factor in the relatively low poll numbers for the King.

Last edited:
Thanks for chiming in Marengo. Mr. Wilders is, to put it lightly, a bit of a mixed bag. One would think being a party of the right he would support the Monarchy but he very clearly does not. In fact, many of his policies aren't exactly "right-wing". His policies are all over the political spectrum, some good and some bad. Much of his language, personal belief's, and campaigns are atrocious. Whether or not he will be able to form a coalition and be PM remains to be seen.

There are many, many issues facing the Netherlands. The Monarchy is an easy target but getting a majority of MP's or political parties to agree on a course of action for the Monarchy will be difficult. Unfortunately, attacking the Monarchy and other established institutions is a great distraction and populist technique.

Thanks for chiming in Marengo. Mr. Wilders is, to put it lightly, a bit of a mixed bag. One would think being a party of the right he would support the Monarchy but he very clearly does not. In fact, many of his policies aren't exactly "right-wing". His policies are all over the political spectrum, some good and some bad. Much of his language, personal belief's, and campaigns are atrocious. Whether or not he will be able to form a coalition and be PM remains to be seen.

There are many, many issues facing the Netherlands. The Monarchy is an easy target but getting a majority of MP's or political parties to agree on a course of action for the Monarchy will be difficult. Unfortunately, attacking the Monarchy and other established institutions is a great distraction and populist technique.

Based on his voting pattern (and therefore that of all other members of his party in parliament as he is effectively an absolute ruler within his party - as he is the sole member of his own party -), he can definitely be characterized as right wing. Even though in public he often suggests that he supports policies that will benefit those with a lower social economic status (which often might be considered left wing policies), the party's voting pattern shows that he is more right wing than the liberal party VVD.

Based on his voting pattern (and therefore that of all other members of his party in parliament as he is effectively an absolute ruler within his party - as he is the sole member of his own party -), he can definitely be characterized as right wing. Even though in public he often suggests that he supports policies that will benefit those with a lower social economic status (which often might be considered left wing policies), the party's voting pattern shows that he is more right wing than the liberal party VVD.
the Pvv is not a party it why they dont get funding from the state its llike a pac sort of.

The Dutch Monarchy

lol leftist republican parties combine just had their worst results ever a pro monarchy party won I think the crown is very safe.

Iam Dutch and a staunch monarchist, love the Dutch flag and I can still sing the Dutch national anthem and live in Melbourne Aust.40 years and of course I can still speak fluent Dutch and I love the House of Orange and my family are staunch monarchists. So, there you have it.

Back
Top Bottom