Felipe Froilán & Victoria Federica de Marichalar News & Events 3 : May 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According Lecturas Magazine Victoria Federica moved into Zarzuela Palace with Queen Sofia.

The reasons that led her to live with her grandmother are unknown. The report shows a fight with her mother, about her professional future, however this is not a confirmed fact.

https://www.lecturas.com/actualidad...ea-su-madre-y-vivira-su-abuela-palacio_131499

According to HOLA!, this information is not true. What's more, Victoria Federica has a very good relationship with her mother and they are living together.

https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_espanola/20221207222417/victoria-de-marichalar-casa-infanta-elena/

Wonderful to see an activity of mother and daughter together; and for a good cause.

I wish her son was also involved in these volunteer events.

According to press reports Felipe is being investigated by the national police over a fight outside a night club in Madrid in November. According to Spanish Hola he was not involved himself but is said to have accompanied an injured friend to hospital afterwards:

** dailymail article ** elconfidencial.com article ** hola article **

Does anyone know what Felipe and his sister do in everyday life? Studies, jobs? Or are they both socialites?

It illustrates one benefit of the trend of restricting the number of royal title holders across Europe: If the 1987 reform had not been implemented after the ban on unequal marriages was repealed, Felipe de Marichalar would have been an Infante of Spain and this and other incidents would no doubt attract even more attention, even internationally.

It illustrates one benefit of the trend of restricting the number of royal title holders across Europe: If the 1987 reform had not been implemented after the ban on unequal marriages was repealed, Felipe de Marichalar would have been an Infante of Spain and this and other incidents would no doubt attract even more attention, even internationally.

Nevertheless, Froilán is still 4th in line to the throne, regardless of his title or lack thereof. Until Princess Leonor and Infanta Sofia get married and have children of their own, Froilán's antics will still be a minor concern for the Royal House.

It already does internationally!

Fróilan is 4th in the line of succession to the Spanish throne. And he is also the nephew of King Felipe VI and grandson of emeritus kings.
Fróilan is at SRF like princesses Beatrice and Eugenie are at BRF. The only difference is that Fróilan doesn't have a title.

I hope Froilan has a good 2023.

It would be good for him to do some volunteer work overseas. It might help put things in perspective for him.

I hope Froilan has a good 2023.

It would be good for him to do some volunteer work overseas. It might help put things in perspective for him.

He is a messy young adult and to this day I don't know how he got so out of control. His life now with his pack of friends runs parallel to his cousin, Prince Harry's, and that single life entourage of buddies and girlfriends. Just for reference, the girl from TV that was in group that was involved in the knife fight incident is nicknamed by the media as 'Pechotes' which means ' Big Busty'

To put this into perspective, had his mother, who was born prior King Felipe, be named heir by Juan Carlos ages ago when he had a lot of animosity toward then Prince Felipe's girlfriend Letizia, she would have been crowned Queen. And Froilan would have been declared Prince of Asturias.

I said it before and I'll said it again, Letizia was the best thing that happened to bring the Spanish monarchy into the 21st century.

Here's the article on the knife fight scandal, Right click over the page and select Translate to your language of choice:

Froilán and 'La Pechotes', involved in a knife fight in a nightclub in Madrid

Last edited:
He is a messy young adult and to this day I don't know how he got so out of control. His life now with his pack of friends runs parallel to his cousin, Prince Harry's, and that single life entourage of buddies and girlfriends. Just for reference, the girl from TV that was in group that was involved in the knife fight incident is nicknamed by the media as 'Pechotes' which means ' Big Busty'

To put this into perspective, had his mother, who was born prior King Felipe, be named heir by Juan Carlos ages ago when he had a lot of animosity toward then Prince Felipe's girlfriend Letizia, she would have been crowned Queen. And Froilan would have been declared Prince of Asturias.

I said it before and I'll said it again, Letizia was the best thing that happened to bring the Spanish monarchy into the 21st century.

Here's the article on the knife fight scandal, Right click over the page and select Translate to your language of choice:

Froilán and 'La Pechotes', involved in a knife fight in a nightclub in Madrid

His mother could not have been “ named heir” by King Juan Carlos. Male preference in the succession to the Crown is enshrined in the Spanish constitution. It can only be changed then by constitutional amendment, which requires;

1. Two separate votes with at least a two-thirds majority in each House of Parliament with a general election in between, and

2. A national popular referendum.

Last edited:
Nevertheless, Froilán is still 4th in line to the throne, regardless of his title or lack thereof. Until Princess Leonor and Infanta Sofia get married and have children of their own, Froilán's antics will still be a minor concern for the Royal House.

Good point, and I think slimming down their lines of succession to the crown is another area of reform which many royal houses ought to explore.

His mother could not have been “ named heir” by King Juan Carlos. Make preference in the succession to the Crown is enshrined in the Spanish constitution. It can only be changed then by constitutional amendment, which requires;

1. Two separate votes with at least a two-thirds majority in each House of Parliament with a general election in between, and

2. A national popular referendum.

But the current Constitution was written and promulgated after King Juan Carlos I had already ascended the throne. I think another poster on this forum claimed that the King was consulted by the drafters of the Constitution about whether he wanted the succession to the Crown to be male preference or equal primogeniture, though I don't know if that statement is reliable.

ETA: Apologies, I missed Toledo's reference to the time of Felipe VI's marriage - indeed the Constitution was already in place then.

Last edited:
Felipe seems to find himself on the periphery of these sorts of incidents too frequently to put down to chance. Most people manage to spend time in clubs in their 20s without ever coming into close contact with any sort of weapon. It must be worrisome for his family - even if he’s not directly involved in the altercations at some point his luck will run out and he’ll get hurt. He must be in his mid 20s by now, old enough to reevaluate his environment, and make changes where needed. It sounds like he needs to spend time in different places or find a different group of friends, or both.

I have the impression from things I’ve read over the years that Elena and her ex weren’t on the same page with regard to parenting, especially in the early years after the divorce. If that’s true it can’t have been good for the children, especially Felipe, who has always seemed strong willed and, as the first Borbon grandchild, was likely indulged from the start.

I didn't get an answer so I guess nobody knows what the siblings do for a living. VF is working as a model, she's a pretty fun girl but honestly, she'd never be on cover of Instyle etc if she wasn't Borbon. So this 'career' will be short lived.
I am actually shocked about the lack of education, Elena and Jaime should know better.
Of course Felipe was educated befitting a heir to the throne, but even Cristina has a very good education, the basis for her professional work she's been doing for a long time.
OK Elena not so much but maybe she wasn't as bright as her sister.
I find it difficult to have a son who mainly goes clubbing etc and is funded by his grandparents (I guess)? The SRF has learned the hard way that things can be fragile, especially financially, but still no pressure on Frolian to become independent?

I didn't get an answer so I guess nobody knows what the siblings do for a living. VF is working as a model, she's a pretty fun girl but honestly, she'd never be on cover of Instyle etc if she wasn't Borbon. So this 'career' will be short lived.
I am actually shocked about the lack of education, Elena and Jaime should know better.
Of course Felipe was educated befitting a heir to the throne, but even Cristina has a very good education, the basis for her professional work she's been doing for a long time.
I find it difficult to have a son who mainly goes clubbing etc and is funded by his grandparents (I guess)? The SRF has learned the hard way that things can be fragile, especially financially, but still no pressure on Frolian to become independent?

I think that at this moment it is not known what Froilán does. I think it is not known whether he has already finished university or not.
Victoria Federica works as a model and influencer.
Victoria Federica also did not finish her studies at the university.
I think that Elena and Jaime de Marichalar should have guided their children towards a more responsible life. After all Fróilan and VF are still related to the Royal Family. They are nephews of the King, grandsons of emeritus kings and sons of an Infanta of Spain. And they are in the line of succession to the Spanish throne.

Both have been poor students, and are studying at a private American university in Madrid, which is financed by their grandparents... we'll see if they finish their studies, if they do it will be based on paying.

It is said that apart from family problems, Felipe may have some kind of learning problem. The bad relationship between the parents (they weren't brilliant academically either) and probably the outdated vision of grandmother Sofía about education, influenced the fact that in order to solve the problems they were sent to very expensive foreign boarding schools... that was not the solution.

If you add to that, that since Elena was Juan Carlos's favorite, her children have had all the whims paid for: car, horse, coming-out party... well, the result is that they are frivolous and irresponsible, and that what they achieve is achieved by their last name and their grandparents' money.

I read that he had been in London on what sounded like some sort of internship and then returned to Madrid. He may be working, or continuing with some sort of school, but obviously anything like that is going to be eclipsed by things like fights in clubs.

His father made some comments awhile back in response to something that had come up with one of the children. I can’t remember the context but he didn’t seem too concerned about their academic performance and was more focused on their social lives. I can kind of see where he’s coming from - it’s not like young people in Felipe and Victoria’s position need to be brilliant in order to be successful. But I guess the question is whether there’s an expectation that they do something - either school or work of some sort - or do they do close to nothing with no consequences?

I read that he had been in London on what sounded like some sort of internship and then returned to Madrid. He may be working, or continuing with some sort of school, but obviously anything like that is going to be eclipsed by things like fights in clubs.

His father made some comments awhile back in response to something that had come up with one of the children. I can’t remember the context but he didn’t seem too concerned about their academic performance and was more focused on their social lives. I can kind of see where he’s coming from - it’s not like young people in Felipe and Victoria’s position need to be brilliant in order to be successful. But I guess the question is whether there’s an expectation that they do something - either school or work of some sort - or do they do close to nothing with no consequences?

As far as I understand, Froilán is attending an international business school in Madrid, so he will probably get a degree eventually.

Also , he is a knight of the Solar of Tejada, which is not only a mere nobiliary title as the respective Señorío is actually a real estate portfolio ( one of the few of that kind legally left in Spain). I don’t know if his paternal inheritance would be enough to guarantee him an independent life , but I would appreciate if the experts here could comment.

Last edited:
Thanks for all responses re education of Elenas children. I was aware of the American University but thought that it was a thing of the past. But it makes sense if the main focus in not on studies anyway.
probably the outdated vision of grandmother Sofía about education,
@lula, did Sofia mention her view on education at some point?
As I mentioned before, Cristina is pretty well educated for a royal woman of her age. She did not only finish her studies but has a master, speaks various languages and has worked in various organisations for decades. Of course she benefitted from her parents' connections but what royal hasnt.
So I don't think it was Sofias aim to raise her daughters as uneducated accessories to some wealthy aristocrats.

Duke, you can find a lot of news about Sofia's role in financing and guiding the education of her grandchildren, in the case of Elena's children. It has been Juan Carlos and Sofía who have paid for schools, boarding schools and private universities... so in some way they have always intervened in decision making.

Elena and Jaime's divorce was very tense, and it seems that Sofia did intervene on the issue of the children as a mediator between them. Felipe went through boarding schools in Spain and a military school in the United States, Victoria Federica was sent to an exclusive British boarding school and upon returning to Spain she began to fail in her studies.

Both the parents and the grandparents who financed everything made decisions that do not seem to be what Felipe and Victoria needed to overcome family, behavioral or learning problems.

Elena had learning problems, she always had reinforcement teachers and she got her degrees in private centers. She also spent some time in a British boarding school. Her secretary for decades was a teacher who helped her with her studies as a teenager (a really strange case in palace). So the pattern that has been followed with her children has been similar to the one followed with her. Just like 40 years ago they tried to fix things with money, strict exclusive schools... instead of acknowledging the problems and sending them to schools that would really help them with their problems, like they have done in other royal houses.

The situation of Cristina and Felipe was different, they did not have these learning problems, they studied in public universities, they had prestigious university professors as study tutors and their secretaries in the palace were people with professional prestige.

Last edited:
If you are suggesting that Elena inherited Juan Carlos's dyslexia or something similar, not very much is known about how he managed to deal with it academically — but presumably it wasn't with anything close to modern "proper" understanding. So I'm not sure why Elena would have received a better level of assistance. And it may have been harder for her children than if their mother and grandfather had not already had issues learning — if they had been "blank slates", perhaps the family would have come at it from a different approach.

Duke, you can find a lot of news about Sofia's role in financing and guiding the education of her grandchildren, in the case of Elena's children. It has been Juan Carlos and Sofía who have paid for schools, boarding schools and private universities... so in some way they have always intervened in decision making.

Elena and Jaime's divorce was very tense, and it seems that Sofia did intervene on the issue of the children as a mediator between them. Felipe went through boarding schools in Spain and a military school in the United States, Victoria Federica was sent to an exclusive British boarding school and upon returning to Spain she began to fail in her studies.

Both the parents and the grandparents who financed everything made decisions that do not seem to be what Felipe and Victoria needed to overcome family, behavioral or learning problems.

Elena had learning problems, she always had reinforcement teachers and she got her degrees in private centers. She also spent some time in a British boarding school. Her secretary for decades was a teacher who helped her with her studies as a teenager (a really strange case in palace). So the pattern that has been followed with her children has been similar to the one followed with her. Just like 40 years ago they tried to fix things with money, strict exclusive schools... instead of acknowledging the problems and sending them to schools that would really help them with their problems, like they have done in other royal houses.

The situation of Cristina and Felipe was different, they did not have these learning problems, they studied in public universities, they had prestigious university professors as study tutors and their secretaries in the palace were people with professional prestige.

Thanks lula, I agree that the approach is completely wrong but did not know the extent of the learning difficulties on Elena side, stretching out to her children. So it's related to Elenas specific situation. I misunderstood your wording earlier, to me it indicated that Sofia is one of those women of her generation who think that royal girls don't really need an education as they will be married off to fellow nobles anyway. But I have never seen Sofia as such a woman, and Cristina is the best proof. Her children seem to be going through the educational process withouth any problems as well.

I guess when JC passes there will be enough inheritance for the grandchildren that they will not be encouraged to make their own living through education. It will keep the press busy, much to Felipe's dismay I guess.

Understand from what I read that King Emeritus JC has dyslexia. Furthermore I doubt that around 1950-1960, when he was at school, people could recognize what dyslexia was. Students suffering from dyslexia were considered just as bad students... no salvation.
But, please correct me if I'm wrong, I doubt if he did study. I know that since his pre-teen years JC was raised by Franco but he went to military academy, no other studies. I don't say that Military academy was nothing, just that no-one teacher would fail Franco's protegee.

As for Froilan since his very young age he seemed a very turbulent boy. Remember the F+L wedding... he left his position to beat his cousin.

For the divorce Elena Jaime I don't know.anything.

Thanks lula, I agree that the approach is completely wrong but did not know the extent of the learning difficulties on Elena side, stretching out to her children. So it's related to Elenas specific situation. I misunderstood your wording earlier, to me it indicated that Sofia is one of those women of her generation who think that royal girls don't really need an education as they will be married off to fellow nobles anyway. But I have never seen Sofia as such a woman, and Cristina is the best proof. Her children seem to be going through the educational process withouth any problems as well.

I guess when JC passes there will be enough inheritance for the grandchildren that they will not be encouraged to make their own living through education. It will keep the press busy, much to Felipe's dismay I guess.

I’ve read that there was some resistance to Cristina’s plan to study Political Science at university, and that, if she was going to go to university, the preference would have been for her to study a more “soft” subject - education, sociology, etc. I don’t remember reading that Sofia was the one who objected to Cristina’s plan, though, but more that it was a general concern on the part of the royal court.

I doubt Juan Carlos and Sofia worried too much about their daughters’ academic development, although it seems they were both laser focused on Felipe. But they obviously didn’t stand in Cristina’s way when she decided what she wanted to do.

As for Cristina’s children, Pablo urdangarin did an interview as a member of his handball team recently and talked about the emphasis his parents placed on him continuing his education. I assume the other children would have gotten the same message.

Understand from what I read that King Emeritus JC has dyslexia. Furthermore I doubt that around 1950-1960, when he was at school, people could recognize what dyslexia was. Students suffering from dyslexia were considered just as bad students... no salvation.
But, please correct me if I'm wrong, I doubt if he did study. I know that since his pre-teen years JC was raised by Franco but he went to military academy, no other studies. I don't say that Military academy was nothing, just that no-one teacher would fail Franco's protegee.

As for Froilan since his very young age he seemed a very turbulent boy. Remember the F+L wedding... he left his position to beat his cousin.

For the divorce Elena Jaime I don't know.anything.

Dyslexia or not, the focus of Franco was to 'create'/educate Juan Carlos to use him for his own purpose. JC did study in Madrid various subjects at university but did not obtain a degree. The military education was absolute key at the time and still plays an important role when it soon comes to Leonors education.

Back
Top Bottom