Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 5: October 2009-July 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it interesting that the DM takes the body-guard's side and portrays him as a victim of "grand", "let-'em-have-it-with-two-barrels" Sophie. As for the "friend" who made the unkind remarks about the Countess, "with friends like that..."

Wow... I have never seen Sophie like that! I have to wonder what was going on, why she was upset.
As for being grand... never seen Sophie's grand side.
I have to wonder now is her friendly behavior, just a act?

Everyone has a bad day now and then. Which of us has never flown off the handle when stressed? I think that something very serious happened with the protection officer (maybe he stepped out of line...who knows?) or else she's under unusual pressure lately and reached the tipping point.

I have to wonder now is her friendly behavior, just a act?

I just saw the article and am completely baffled by such a display of inappropriate behaviour. That being said, it would be reasonable to assume that Countess of Wessex had a stressful day like any other woman had. At the same time, I can not help, but wonder who followed Countess of Wessex and took photos.

Last edited:
Well, I guess she's neither the always calm and serene Sophie nor the grand Sophie. Of course she's acting a bit when undertaking engagements, I remember reading somewhere that she's not always as easy going and down to earth as it may seem. Anyway, I don't think this story is a big deal. She seems simply pissed here, something that can happen to everyone and as she obviously didn't realize/expect cameras around, she vent her spleen.

Last edited:
A little off topic, but I think that bodyguard used to guard the York girls.

In the past, Sophie has always seemed to be very happy. IMHO, something has happened to change that. I can't see her being that stressed out about the wedding...she is not going to be the center of attention.

It's hard to imagine the bodyguard doing something that warranted that kind of anger and emotion. He's a professional...he wouldn't have overstepped the bounds that far. I'm guessing that he did something minor and all the anger and stress that was in Sophie came out, directed at him.

I feel so sorry for her. She has been such an asset to the RF. It's very unfortunate that someone managed to catch that incident on camera. It must be very embarrassing for her and today of all days when she has to gather with the rest of the RF at Windsor.

The behaviour displayed by Sophie is appalling. To be stressed or whatever reason she had to be upset is irrelevant. No one, royal or not, should behave in such a manner in a public place. She is berating an employee. One does that behind closed doors, no matter what.

She needs to calm down, it is just a wedding. Also, they need to get their daughter's eye condition fixed. The longer they leave it the worse it will affect her eyesight.

As much as I dislike criticising the royal ladies, especially those who married into royalty (always the most vulnerable to spiteful gossip) I agree with Grevinnan.

Sophie's behaviour was very shocking, indeed. There is no excuse for berating an assistant or servant in public, and to actually stab her finger at him in her rage! Words fail me!

One thing is certain: the Countess will be made to regret her public explosion. The palace will not be pleased, nor should it be.

Perhaps some of the minor royals, about to be superseded in the nation's affections, are feeling anxious and stressed as the world's attention becomes more clearly focussed on Catherine.

We can only speculate about what really happened and it's always very easy to write a good royal bashing story (as the Daily Mail usually does all the time) from a couple of pictures. I'll take the alleged "friend" comment with a grain of salt too (Sophie "too grand"? Cmon...).
Some DM readers comments are clearly ridiculously overreacted ...

That's usually my response to newspaper reports, too. However, in this instance, there is photographic evidence of decidedly un-royal, ignoble behaviour. The Countess should know better.

:previous:

"Ignoble"? Was she killing a puppy or something like that; Cmon ;)

Royal Wedding 2011: Countess of Wessex is wearing Bruce Oldfield | Mail Online

What i see is, yes, a clear outburst from the Countess. About What ? because of? Who knows? And the "see what this royal is doing to her bodygard" thing is clearly exaggerated (if not made up) by the Daily Mail.

Judging by some DM comments, I'am always surprised how versatile people are : yesterday Sophie was one of the most popular member of the BRF and today she's the evil incarnated....

Last edited by a moderator:
Who knows what actually went on.
Of course not great behaviour, but the minor royals, not like the Queen
apparently go to their Dress Shoppes verus them coming to their places, so
there is alot more room for things to happen.

PS I did meet Sopihe on her first royal tour after being married in a small
setting with my mother and sister, and to be honest we were not
impressed with her friendliness.

"ignoble" is meant in the sense of 'common','plebeian', 'dishonourable'. And her behaviour was all of that. I did not accuse her of cruelty!

She was never a favourite of mine - in fact, I barely gave her a thought. However, she's certainly made a figure of herself and drawn unwanted attention to the Family at a most inappropriate time. She will not be thanked for it, and probably told so, in no uncertain terms.

My parents and in-laws who all know quite a bit about protocol agree that they've never seen such a public exhibition from any royal in more than 50 years!

Polly said:
My parents and in-laws who all know quite a bit about protocol agree that they've never seen such a public exhibition from any royal in more than 50 years!

Really? So this worse then Diana's Panorama interview, or Fergie's toe sucking incident or Charles admitting adultery, Prince Harry's drunken pics ....I could go on and on- honestly it's pretty tame in that sense......

I too have always been "skeptical" of Sophie. For what reason, I've never been able to put my finger on, so to see this, let's just say that I'm not shocked. She will definately be reprimanded for this outburst. The RF as a whole does not need this type of media attention.

I wish there was video of the event. I honestly can't tell what she's doing or saying from the selection of still pictures. They certainly don't say "outburst" to me.

I just hate when someone takes out a temper tantrum on someone who is powerless to do anything other than take it!
It makes me see that person as a bully!
I have decided I don't like Sophie (not that I ever did, but I didn't dislike her either. Now she's in league with Sarah Ferguson, imo).

That's my feeling as well. Sophie has served HM very well for the last 10 years or so, and I don't think it's right to judge her harshly because of one public outburst.

Really? So this worse then Diana's Panorama interview, or Fergie's toe sucking incident or Charles admitting adultery, Prince Harry's drunken pics ....I could go on and on- honestly it's pretty tame in that sense......

:previous:Or put her in the same category as Sarah. I personally have always been ambivalent about Sophie...but she has worked dillegently on behalf of HM since her marriage. And I fail to see how this outburst connects with her daughter's eye problems. But different strokes for different folks I guess.

I agree that it does look bad but I also agree that we don't know the specifics. Though one does agree that if there was a disagreement it shoudl have been handled in private.

For all we know she could have been explaining to him something that had happened rather than actually having a go at him, or what she would have liked to have done. We have some bad looking photos but that is all.

You make a good point, but still Sophie's behavior is undignified and ungraceful. A lady, and certainly a royal one, does not act like Sophie did.As far as public outbursts go... this is the biggest one I have read of since Diana exploded at the paparazzi outside the theater in 1994, after seeing Jurassic Park with the boys. Or since Harry hit that photographer outside a nightclub. You are right, Fergie's photos were disgusting.Diana and Charles's interviews were not outbursts.Honestly, in those photos Sophie looks like her mind just snapped.

Which is what the DM seems to do best.

Do we know what really happened? No, but we're also not the Mother of a little girl, w/a very visible eye problem, who is about to be part of an event that millions around the World will be watching and worrying about how the Media could "use" any pictures of Louise to whatever spin they want. Not to mention I'm willing to bet there are some in the Palace who feel it's a bad thing to show any member of the Royal Family having any kind of "Defect" and have either said such thing to the Wessexs or have ensured such "whisperings" have gotten to them in some manner.

If I was Sophie right now, I'd be a bit stressed too.

Do I know this for a fact? Of course not, but I am legally blind, as well have other health issues to deal w/and believe me, I've had my fair share of such treatment dealt to me by Blood Relatives*** and so called Friends over the years when it came to big Family Events. I can only imagine it's multiplied to the factor of ten thousand for Edward and Sophie concerning little Lady Louise being one of the Bridesmaids this Friday.

Was it the right place for whatever happened to happen? No and considering how Bruce Oldfield's name keeps popping up as the possible designer of The Dress, Sophie should have known there'd be cameras around hoping for a "Big Scoop". She's also human though and...Sigh!!

This doesn't change my opinion of Sophie at all. She made a stupid mistake, yes, but for some people on here to act like she tried to sell access to her ex-husband, who is also a Trade Representive for his Country, like a certain Redhead we all know is a bit much IMO. Fergie's done a whole lot worse than this, yet the way some are trying to bring what happened w/Sophie and her PPO to that same level is beyond ridculious.

The timing couldn't be worse, but it's also not the biggest deal in the world either.

***AFAIC, those people are NOT my Family. Blood Relations yes, but to me, Family is more than just that. A lot more.

Last edited:
I just noticed this gem of a quote in the Mail article: "The bodyguard looked mortified. He was squirming and kept looking around in case anyone was watching."

Looking around to see what people nearby are doing is his job. He's supposed to be doing that the whole time he's with her, even when she's having an "outburst" (which seems to be Daily Mail-speak for having a furrowed brow).

Last edited:
I just noticed this gem of a quote in the Mail article: "The bodyguard looked mortified. He was squirming and kept looking around in case anyone was watching."

Looking around to see what people nearby are doing is his job. He's supposed to be doing that the whole time he's with her, even when she's having an "outburst" (which seems to be Daily Mail-speak for having a furrowed brow).

Exactly - he was still doing his job so he was professional enough to keep doing his job which also suggests that either this has happened before or it wasn't all that big a deal.

I agree with Iluvbertie and Mermaid1962, you two took the words right out of my mouth!! ;) Sophie's obviously just received a phonecall, something that probably changed her plans and she's discussing it with her bodyguard (and perhaps they disagree as to 'what are we supposed to do now'). The man looks pensive not mortified. And besides, it IS the Daily Fail!! They knew exactly which photos to select and publish in order to sell their story. And where is the video that proves their story?? :rolleyes: Nevermind! Hey, forget about the nonsense, London is in a festive mood, the weather is wonderful and we should be partying 24/7!!!!! :clap: :champagne:

I'm willing to overlook this incident. Firstly, we don't know what prompted this. Secondly, Sophie has been a dutiful member of the royal family and has hardly ever been involved in scandals, except the sheik scandal.

She does work hard and is always smiling when doing her duties. For this reason, I am willing to overlook this incident, she is allowed an off day at times, just like anyone.

NoorMeansLight said:
I agree with Iluvbertie and Mermaid1962, you two took the words right out of my mouth!! ;) Sophie's obviously just received a phonecall, something that probably changed her plans and she's discussing it with her bodyguard (and perhaps they disagree as to 'what are we supposed to do now'). The man looks pensive not mortified.

Agreed.... Looking at the pictures again it does seen the bodyguard doesn't looked embarassed but genuiely concerned- maybe Sophie was just told the dresses came in the wrong size or maybe she was upset pictures were taken because it hints at Kate's designer or maybe a sales lady was rude and Sophie was retelling the story, I'm just saying it could be many things....even just a crappy day.......Sophie is still one of my fav Royals....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom