Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to the USA - December 7-9, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Duchess News Files @Duchess_Files · 25m 25 minutes ago
Actor @tomhanks will give toast at the University of St. Andrews dinner William & Kate are attending on December 9. (via @univofstandrews)

Oh gosh, they are becoming more celebrity than royalty.

The royals have mingled with celebrities for years and years, so I don't see how this is anything new.

^^^Agreed soapstar. With the Royal Variety performance, film premieres, BAFTA presidency and concerts the BRF has been meeting the various film, literary, and musical talents of the UK for well over 100 years.

It is all about the fundraising.

And it seems that Tom Hanks' daughter went to St Andrews. I doubt this will be the first time he will have been drafted into service for the University - albeit probably the most high profile.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 30 secs30 seconds ago City of London, London

The Duchess of Cambridge will visit the Northside Center for Child Development, Harlem with New York's First Lady on Monday.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 6 mins6 minutes ago City of London, London

The Duke of Cambridge will meet Hillary and Chelsea Clinton at a conservation reception at the British Consul General's residence, New York.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 3 mins3 minutes ago City of London, London

The Duke and Duchess will attend a reception at NeueHouse celebrating British creative talent in New York on Tuesday.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 1 min1 minute ago City of London, London

William and Kate will attend a GREAT reception at the Empire State Building and then the St Andrews 600th anniversary dinner at MMA Tuesday.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 15 secs16 seconds ago City of London, London

Ex-UK Foreign Secretary William Hague will accompany William to the International Corruption Hunters Alliance conference at the World Bank.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 1 min1 minute ago City of London, London

William's World Bank visit to Washington DC is on Monday.

Clarence House ‏@ClarenceHouse 35 secs35 seconds ago

The Duchess of Cambridge will visit the Northside Center for Child Development in #Harlem with First Lady of #NYC @Chirlane #RoyalVisitUSA

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the updates to their visit Rudolph!

Martin @CourtierUK · 47m 47 minutes ago
Prince William to meet President Obama in the Oval Office on Monday. Plus meeting with Vice President. HRH’s first visit to Washington DC.

BBC News - Prince William to meet President Obama in US trip
The Duke of Cambridge will meet President Obama at the Oval Office on Monday, the White House has announced.

Prince William's meeting with the president is part of a three-day trip to the east coast of the US and is his first visit to Washington DC.
He is expected to give a speech on combating illegal wildlife trafficking at the World Bank.

President Obama has welcomed the Prince's work against what he called "a devastating environmental problem".

In February, Princes Charles and Prince William attended an international conference held in London where a declaration was signed on fighting the illegal trade in wildlife.

I've been skimming intro articles. I do think it worth you all knowing that big chunks of Harlem have become gentrified and are thriving these days. It's quite hip to have an office in Harlem. So don't believe all the "Di went to Harlem" comparisons. The Duchess may be going to a worthy charity, but Harlem now is not the same as Harlem then. Thanks - I had to get that off my chest.

I've been skimming intro articles. I do think it worth you all knowing that big chunks of Harlem have become gentrified and are thriving these days. It's quite hip to have an office in Harlem. So don't believe all the "Di went to Harlem" comparisons. The Duchess may be going to a worthy charity, but Harlem now is not the same as Harlem then. Thanks - I had to get that off my chest.

I'm glad someone did. As you said, today's Harlem is a very different place from what it was in the past.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

If hosting a charity dinner with Tom Hanks gets them called celebrity wannabes, then all this galavanting around with Obama, Biden and Hillary must mean they are trying to be politicians too!

Their critics seem to be projecting an identity crisis onto them. LOL

I think they are willing to mingle with whomever to advance their charitable causes, and we all put much more analysis into their cohorts than they do.

A fairytale in New York for our royals - Telegraph

From the gilded elite to celebrities and politicians, Americans just can't get enough of Wills and Kate
If the Duke of Cambridge were to walk into Cathy Dault’s Manhattan flat during his trip to New York next week, the first face he would see would be his own. The hallway of the modest First Avenue apartment is decorated with signed Christmas cards from Diana, Princess of Wales, which Dault has collected over the years from an American dealer in royal memorabilia. One card shows Charles and Diana in happy times with their two sons. Another is from 1992, the year their marriage officially broke down, and features just the two young princes.

If the Duke ventured a little farther into the living room, he would find a caricature of Prince Harry (signed by the subject), hanging next to a poster of one of Mario Testino’s sultry photographs of his mother. Next to those is a copy of the National Portrait Gallery painting of the two princes, looking relaxed in their black cavalry uniforms. There is also a framed magazine cover of Harry and photographs from one of his trips to Africa.

“People walk in here and they say: 'Oh, my God, it’s like a shrine to the Royals,’ ” laughs Dault. The 63-year-old schoolteacher is just one of the thousands of excited Americans hoping to catch a glimpse of the Cambridges when they arrive on a commercial flight into New York tomorrow for a three-day visit to the US East Coast.

Special needs kids in Harlem prepare gift for Kate Middleton | New York Post
Special needs kids at a Harlem school that Duchess Kate Middleton will visit on Monday are so thrilled to a meet real-life “princess,” they plan to surprise her with flowers and a handmade gift.

Beaming 4-year-old Tom gestured to a picture frame that he and classmates had made for the duchess at Northside Center for Child Development and said, “It’s for the princess in the castle!”

He added, “I want to take her home to play with Thomas the Train.”

Last edited by a moderator:
If hosting a charity dinner with Tom Hanks gets them called celebrity wannabes, then all this galavanting around with Obama, Biden and Hillary must mean they are trying to be politicians too!

Their critics seem to be projecting an identity crisis onto them. LOL

I think they are willing to mingle with whomever to advance their charitable causes, and we all put much more analysis into their cohorts than they do.

Very well said. And they should mingle with all the rich/wealthy and famous for they are the ones with the very deep bank accounts as it's people like you and me that don't have those deep bank accounts to give money to charities. So I hope they get many huge donations for their charities as it will go to help so many in need as that is what it all about, helping those in need.

Do other heirs to the throne meet with Obama when they go to Washington? (I know William's the heir to the heir but you get what I mean).

That'll be both William and Harry welcomed to the White House, in Harry's case by the First Lady. Pretty good going.

I think the British royals get pride of place in America. For William to meet with both the President and Vice President is a big deal.

I can think of some reigning monarchs who would love that opportunity

There are already a lot of royals who met the president Obama and the vice president

In september , King Felipe of Spain and Queen Letizia, The princely couple of Monaco and other royals.

I was specifically referring to royals who are not reigning nor are the heirs to the respective countries.

I think this a big deal for William to meet with both the President and Vice-president and he still isn't even heir to the throne

Last edited:
I was specifically referring to royals who are not reigning nor are the heirs to the respective countries.

I think this a big deal for William to meet with both the President and Vice-president and he still isn't even heir to the throne

It is indeed. I mean, I thought it was odd Harry addressed a Country's Government (during his trip to Estonia) before William did. Especially since William is the Heir and Future King after all. This a huge step on his learning curve as a Senior Royal and more than a wee bit overdue IMO.

I have to agree. I couldn't think of many other heirs being invited to meet Obama at the White House, let alone 3rd in line.

I'm sure it's appreciated by William and the whole family. Only small disappointment is that Kate will be staying in NY, but she's doing lots of worthwhile things too.

well - if some royal is there on behave of the Queen, they are treated as such.

It is indeed. I mean, I thought it was odd Harry addressed a Country's Government (during his trip to Estonia) before William did. Especially since William is the Heir and Future King after all. This a huge step on his learning curve as a Senior Royal and more than a wee bit overdue IMO.

We have to remember too that Harry was in Estonia as a representative of the Queen. When William and Kate visit NY and DC, they will be visiting as representatives of the Queen (they always are I think) but mostly they're there to represent their charities and causes. It will not be like William's visit coming up to China where he's primarily representing his monarch. I do think its a big honor that William will meet with the president and vice president and its a reflection, I think, of the recognition of the work that he is doing for illegal poaching and trade.

On the subject of being the heir to the heir, I think we need to remember that William is the odd duck in this respect. Most other 3rd in line to the thrones are still children.

I loved reading the story about the little boy wanting to take Kate home to play with Thomas the Train. I'm willing to bet my last glass of eggnog that Kate will be very well informed and be able to carry of quite an intelligent conversation with him about Thomas. Perhaps George has a Thomas the Train too. :D

Prince William addressed the Australian parliament back in April 2014. Harry's trip to Estonia was in May I think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom