Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 7: September 2016-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me a bit of William's great grandparents during WWII. I think William and Catherine are growing into their roles very nicely.

Not quite sure when folks are being told to stay home, they should be out doing this.

LaRae

And meeting with 111 people is dangerous now.

Not quite sure when folks are being told to stay home, they should be out doing this.

LaRae
As long as the couple are following the NHS guidelines for healthy people under seventy in regards to sanitation, conscious social distancing from sick people and refraining from touch contact ie hand shakes/hugs, then I believe that the occasional and approved visit would be a reasonable expectation.

The guideline specifically states for ALL people not just those unhealthy or over 70 to stay home and the Cambridges should have led by example.

The guideline specifically states for ALL people not just those unhealthy or over 70 to stay home and the Cambridges should have led by example.

The Cambridges are in the UK and are following the NHS guidelines. They are not the same everywhere, every country has different rules about this.

It’s important to support people in front lines. Especially this is just the beginning of the crisis. Prince William was aware that next trip he might need to do this over video.

Some people just love to criticize. I am glad they went and show the support in person as it is still possible to do that.

Working in the front lines, I can say support is great to be seen.

But support does not need or should it be in Person. Videos at this time are far more effective. They show people that you are thinking and supporting them, but you are also concerned for their health and others as well.

The reality is anyone of any age can be at risk. Schools are closed, because kids (like George and Charlotte) are at risk. And yet some adults are out as normal life. And risking the spread of germs.

The last thing air hospitals, actual hospitals and other front line workers need is unnecessary exposure to people who may carry. Its not about the Cambridges getting sick, its about the people who they meet who could. The last thing any country needs is for the care workers to get ill and not be able to do the job they are needed for.

So yes, its important for people in the spotlight to set an example.

This kind of remind me of when George VI and Queen Elizabeth made their appearance after London bombing. Sometimes sending video message is not enough and they have to be there in person. Considering that HM and PoW are on "risk age", the high ranking royal after them is DoC.

No, it's not ALL people. Even in a cities which under lockdown.
I mean, what about medics? Are they not 'people'?
What about police who keep the order and safety?
What about emergency worker who's always on standby for call?
What about employee in power company who make sure that the electricity will always working?
What about truck drivers, store owners, and others in food sectors who have to be there so foods and other daily necessity will always available (since it can't just appear out of nowhere by magic)?
What about news reporters?
Are those mentioned above not 'people'?

Some people HAVE TO be outside their home. In case for W&C, they're there aside from giving morale support (and thanks) for the NHS staff and emergency workers, they also there to highlight about their works and pass the message. That's what royals do: passing message.

As mentioned by Garret Emmerson (London Ambulance CEO) in short video shared by KP, they're incredibly busy at the moment because almost everyone call, even those who actually don't need help. And that member of public can help to alleviate the pressure from the system by checking the NHS website first before calling, so people who really need help can get help faster. Imagine someone calls with "Do I need to go to hospital? I think I have a cough? Am I dying?" while someone else who really sick can't get in because the line is busy.

Just like the case of face masks shortage. Masks are limited, so if all healthy people who mostly just walking on the street for nothing buy mask in huge amount, the medical workers who really in needs (because they can't self isolate at home, even though they want) can't get it. Then what happen if they also get sick, who will heal us?

Those are the guidelines in the UK. The Duke of Cambridge even referenced it at the visit.

As a healthcare worker- a registered nurse to be exact, I know first hand how serious this is.
I had 25 year old patient post C-section sent to the ICU who ended up with collapsed lungs because of COVID-19.

It is flat out dangerous and irresponsible to make any unnecessary public appearance.
The Cambridges are in the UK and are following the NHS guidelines. They are not the same everywhere, every country has different rules about this.

Last edited:
This cannot be compared to what King George VI and Queen Elizabeth did after the air raid. Coronavirus is a VIRUS. It is not a one time singular event. We are in the middle of an ongoing pandemic.

This kind of remind me of when George VI and Queen Elizabeth made their appearance after London bombing. Sometimes sending video message is not enough and they have to be there in person. Considering that HM and PoW are on "risk age", the high ranking royal after them is DoC.

What about employee in power company who make sure that the electricity will always working?
What about truck drivers, store owners, and others in food sectors who have to be there so foods and other daily necessity will always available (since it can't just appear out of nowhere by magic)?

Some people HAVE TO be outside their home. In case for W&C, they're there aside from giving morale support (and thanks) for the NHS staff and emergency workers, they also there to highlight about their works and pass the message. That's what royals do: passing message.

As mentioned by Garret Emmerson (London Ambulance CEO) in short video shared by KP, they're incredibly busy at the moment because almost everyone call, even those who actually don't need help. And that member of public can help to alleviate the pressure from the system by checking the NHS website first before calling, so people who really need help can get help faster. Imagine someone calls with "Do I need to go to hospital? I think I have a cough? Am I dying?" while someone else who really sick can't get in because the line is busy.

Just like the case of face masks shortage. Masks are limited, so if all healthy people who mostly just walking on the street for nothing buy mask in huge amount, the medical workers who really in needs (because they can't self isolate at home, even though they want) can't get it. Then what happen if they also get sick, who will heal us?
The British government has made it clear for people to stay home and avoid large and small gatherings. See:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults
BoJo in his press conference emphasizes the " need to keep people apart".

Police officers, Healthcare workers, and first responder have no choice but to show up for work. However, our jobs will be alot easier if everyone (including the Cambridges)heeds the official warnings.

This cannot be compared to what King George VI and Queen Elizabeth did after the air raid. Coronavirus is a VIRUS. It is not a one time singular event. We are in the middle of an ongoing pandemic.

The British government has made it clear for people to stay home and avoid large and small gatherings. See:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults
BoJo in his press conference emphasizes the " need to keep people apart".

Police officers, Healthcare workers, and first responder have no choice but to show up for work. However, our jobs will be alot easier if everyone (including the Cambridges)heeds the official warnings.

What you are saying is very true. One thing though is that with where the Cambridges chose to visit in person, it was among those people that really understand what is going on out there and are probably going the extra mile in precautions to prevent contracting this virus. To have William and Catherine specifically make it a point to visit them in person must have really boosted their morale and gave us all more reasons to remember that these are the heroes that are on the front lines of battle against this virus.

I do not expect the Cambridges to be popping up at many places in the future at all. It just made sense to me that they did visit this one organization.

You cant compare the London bombings. There was not a ban on people gathering in public. Groups of people were not a threat to lives back then.

People don't listen to the news casters and common people about masks. About staying home. About all the other messages. That is why people in places of power and influence need to be an Example.

Medical professionals all over the world are telling people 'we go to work for you, stay home for us'. So no, they don't need an 'in person visit' to raise their spirits. They would rather not risk the germs so that they can focus on their jobs and be there to help people.

What you are saying is very true. One thing though is that with where the Cambridges chose to visit in person, it was among those people that really understand what is going on out there and are probably going the extra mile in precautions to prevent contracting this virus. To have William and Catherine specifically make it a point to visit them in person must have really boosted their morale and gave us all more reasons to remember that these are the heroes that are on the front lines of battle against this virus.

I do not expect the Cambridges to be popping up at many places in the future at all. It just made sense to me that they did visit this one organization.

Speaking from people are on the front lines, it doesn't boost Morale to have an in person visit.

Its not about a clap on the back. Its about listening to advice and making the jobs of medical professionals as easy as possible. A video would be a bigger boost, as it would 'hey we are Listening'.

Last edited:
You cant compare the London bombings. There was not a ban on people gathering in public. Groups of people were not a threat to lives back then.

People don't listen to the news casters and common people about masks. About staying home. About all the other messages. That is why people in places of power and influence need to be an Example.

Medical professionals all over the world are telling people 'we go to work for you, stay home for us'. So no, they don't need an 'in person visit' to raise their spirits. They would rather not risk the germs so that they can focus on their jobs and be there to help people.

Speaking from people are on the front lines, it doesn't boost Morale to have an in person visit.

Its not about a clap on the back. Its about listening to advice and making the jobs of medical professionals as easy as possible. A video would be a bigger boost, as it would 'hey we are Listening'.

I am going to take your word and explanation to heart and change my point of view on this. You're absolutely correct that this is a time to listen to and adhere to what our medical professionals (such as you are) tell us. My apologies. :flowers:

There is talk of having to ask for volunteer help on the front line in hospitals here in Australia if the virus demands it. Has Britain made calls for student nurses and retired medicos, and the like, to consider making up numbers?
Do you think Prince William would feel a pang to be there helping in a practical sense, given his past rescue career?
Yes the UK's NHS has requested that recently retired doctors and nurses return to assist during this time.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51969104

As to Prince William wanting to return to EAAA to assist, I wouldn't be surprised if he has considered it but I believe that would depend if he's kept up his license and required flying hours.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 7: September 2016

@Countessmeout
How do you know those people’s morale were not boosted? You can’t speak for other people. Just give your opinion.

Happy to see the Cambridges supporting the people in the front lines. For me, it matters and it makes a difference. Others might feel different, that’s okay too. Let’s all agree to disagree.

Last edited:

What guideline exactly?

The NHS website currently has the following information:

How to avoid catching and spreading coronavirus (social distancing)
Everyone should do what they can to stop coronavirus spreading.

It is particularly important for people who:
  • are 70 or over
  • have a long-term condition
  • are pregnant
  • have a weakened immune system

You should also be doing the following according to NHS, this is just a snippet, I'm not listing them all, wash your hands with soap and water often, only travel on public transport if you need to, avoid social activities, such as going to pubs, restaurants, theatres and cinemas (closure of these venues was announced on Friday, after the visit), avoid events with large groups of people.

What part of the above didn't William and Catherine follow? NHS worker here.

And meeting with 111 people is dangerous now.

Is it?

Every country is different and even different areas in a country is treating this virus differently. The main thing is for us is to use our own common sense and do what is required for us where we are.

I'm sure that this incident with William and Catherine was deeply taken in consideration of the risks and was given the go ahead for them, at that time, where they were the were going and all the pros and cons addressed.

This visit took place the day before the announcement from the Prime Minister that restaurants, bars, cinemas, gyms, and other entities are to close.
I’m pretty sure those were much bigger risks than the Cambridge engagement, yet these were all still happening at the time of the visit.

Several posts have been deleted. It's time to move on from the discussion about whether or not the Cambridges should or should not have made the visit. Further posts on that topic will be deleted. A reminder that this is the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events threads and not the place for comparisons between countries and how COVID 19 is being handled.

Last edited:
Court Circular 19th March:
Kensington Palace

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this morning visited the London Ambulance National Health Service 111 Service, Wellesley Grove, Croydon, Surrey.

Cc 1/4 April 1, 2020
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this afternoon talked to staff at Queen’s Hospital Burton, Burton on Trent, Staffordshire, via telephone

Their Royal Highnesses afterwards talked to staff at University Hospital Monklands, Airdrie, Lanarkshire, via telephone

Cc 1/4 April 1, 2020
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this afternoon talked to staff at Queen’s Hospital Burton, Burton on Trent, Staffordshire, via telephone

A doctor working at this hospital sadly died with coronavirus earlier this week, the first doctor in the UK to be killed by the virus - tragically, more doctors have now died, and we've heard today that two nurses have died as well. They spoke to some of his colleagues.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge posted this message of support for Boris Johnson on their official Twitter account:

"Our thoughts are with the Prime Minister and his family, who like so many in the UK and around the world are affected by coronavirus. We wish him a speedy recovery at this difficult time. W"

The Cambridges speaking with school children in the UK via a video call.

Teachers across the UK are dedicating their time to keeping schools open for the children of key workers and vulnerable children. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge called teachers and school staff at Casterton Primary Academy to thank them for their hard work and dedication.

So adorable!!! William and Kate are so good with kids..

Casterton Primary works closely with Place2be, the charity Catherine is patron of.

Fantastic interaction with the children. It’s wonderful to see them at home but continue to do their duties.

Such a lovely and thoughtful idea. The Cambridges seem to be a genuinely caring and kind-hearted couple and that shows when they're on engagements when we're not in a pandemic - they always get on the level of their fans when they're speaking to them and get really involved in what they're doing with a real enthusiasm. My favourite members of the BRF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom