Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 7: September 2016-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely photos, and it's nice to see George and Charlotte with Michael and Carole Middleton. However, I can't say I think Charlotte sticking her tongue out at reporters is either cute or appropriate. It's just rude, and if this becomes a "thing" that the Cambidges tolerate, I'll think a whole lot less of their parenting.

I agree! :flowers:
I hope Kate and William made it clear to her that this sort of behavior isn't nice and will result in punishment if it happens again (and then follow through).

Really don’t think William and Catherine’s parenting needs bringing in to question. Charlottes a child, her father did similar when he also was a child. As have other royals.

I personally see nothing wrong with it, in humour. I personally think we’re imposing adult behaviour on a child.

Really don’t think William and Catherine’s parenting needs bringing in to question. Charlottes a child, her father did similar when he also was a child. As have other royals.

I personally see nothing wrong with it, in humour. I personally think we’re imposing adult behaviour on a child.

I'm not judging her as a child but that's twice she's been rude in publc and both parents have laughed it off. I couldn't believe William's reaction when she said "Your not coming" to the 'invited' press at the christening. He just smirked so no wonder she's getting the impression that she can get away with it.

I'm not judging her as a child but that's twice she's been rude in publc and both parents have laughed it off. I couldn't believe William's reaction when she said "Your not coming" to the 'invited' press at the christening. He just smirked so no wonder she's getting the impression that she can get away with it.

I think this all depends on whether you view a child sticking their tongue out as rude. I don’t.

What she said to the press was indeed quite funny, so I can understand why her father laughed.

I thought the "you're not coming" comment was pretty adorable at the time, and I still do. Charlotte was younger, and there was nothing overtly rude about it, it was a statement of fact, offered up as children that age do.

If, as Lilyflo suggests, the tongue sticking out was directed at a friend, that's still not an ideal thing to be doing in public, but it's a totally different thing. If it was directed at reporters, it's not applying adult standards to a child, it's one of those things most parents wouldn't approve of--I wouldn't have. By the age of 4 most children are able to understand that there are some things you are allowed to do at home, with family, or with your own friends, and some things that don't belong out in public. It's not a huge deal, but I'm hoping it's also something we don't see repeated.

As i expected i see the "perfect parenting judgment society" is out there ...
People just need to relax and see for what is it : a little girl being a little girl , and yes i've seen some rude behaviors from children and this is clearly not one.

It's extraordinary how absolutely everything is now subject to controversies nowadays . Oh well ...

A beautiful family day out and that Charlotte leaving everyone in stitches. Nothing better than that.

When I read about Charlotte stating to the press, "You're not coming" my first thought was that she's quite a precocious child and perhaps with William smirking about it, he might have been thinking, "Gee, I wish I could have said that!" Charlotte has also stolen the show the way she does wave at the gaggle of press. She's the extrovert to George's introverted mannerism in my book.

As she grows older, it may serve her well and she does sort of remind me of her Great Aunt Anne. She also will learn, as children do, what is appropriate and what is not appropriate behavior. Right now, she's just a little girl and does things that a little girl will do when the mood hits. Kids do and say the darndest things at times. Mine sure did. :D

It was rude.. and Will shoudlnt' have laughed at it.. Of course he does not like reporters but Charl has to behave well in public.. She has to learn...

My own view is that it is cute, but only because this was a child acting on impulse, and no amount of parental guidance can prevent a 4 year old from doing something like this the one time. That said, this is not something I would tolerate from my own children, and I would be surprised if Charlotte were allowed to get away with it in the future.
Agreed and video shows that Catherine immediately said something to Charlotte after she stuck her tongue out.

Brings back memories of my mother admonishing me when I'd stick my tongue out or make a face that wasn't very "ladylike". I actually believed her when she told me that if I kept doing that, my face would freeze up with that expression for the rest of my life. :D

Yes Catherine did said something to Charlotte immediately and she stopped. I'm sure she hears people talking about the press negatively. I think she takes after the Middletons right now, she is far more refined looking than Kate was at that age. Kids go thru so many changes as they grow up. I think she is a pretty little girl. I think she should be educated just like George she is the spare. Thant way they have a lot in common and can talk about current events and they will have more in common and be closer. Nice family.

It was rude.. and Will shoudlnt' have laughed at it.. Of course he does not like reporters but Charl has to behave well in public.. She has to learn...

True.
And what can seem cute in a tiny child quickly becomes obnoxious as the child becomes older (but by then the behavior is ingrained).

I think this all depends on whether you view a child sticking their tongue out as rude. I don’t.

What she said to the press was indeed quite funny, so I can understand why her father laughed.

I do so agree. I think it is a childish thing which most do. I remember Harry doing and Mary of Denmark's oldest daughter doing. Also both Zara and Peters' oldest with tongue sticking out at cameras. A phase and normal. Even though they are royals, they are still children. It is when adults do and people do not fuss like this which puzzles me. I remember even Meghan sticking her tongue out Christmas prior to their marriage walking to church on Harry's arm. I don't remember anyone claiming that was rude, just cute or funny. Being American, I remember very well Caroline Kennedy doing the same when only about 4 and her father, our president laughed out loud. They are children, not candy-box little adults. If that is the worse they ever do in public I will be shocked. All of our children have probably done worse. They just need to be told later what is expected and when. Quite confusing for a child . My mother's remark for certain dos was "Today Strict Sunday Manners" which meant we were going to funeral, fancy restaurant, fussy relative's home [had to sit on sofa and be quiet unless asked a question] etc. Rest of the time we were just kids that loved life and parents.

Personally I think the person they were pointing to was someone they knew, Catherine wouldn't react like that if her daughter stuck her tongue out to the press. Likewise, Carole is behind them holding on to Charlotte's hand and she laughs too, I really don't see both women having that reaction to Charlotte doing that to anyone other than someone they know. Catherine's reaction could be put down to the adrenaline of having just competed but not Carole's, both seemed to find it funny so I guess it was towards a friend or situation and they didn't realise it was on camera and so public.

So apparently Charlotte was sticking her tongue out at Grandpa Mike and that’s just the cutest thing in the world... awww

I just imagine being a famous parent of a child and trying to teach them what they should expect and do when they go to these events.

Obviously, the Cambridge kids were taught "wave to the crowds" at a very early age. I assume they were also taught that there would be photogs, sometimes with flashes, sometimes calling out their names. Because who would not want their kids to understand this bizarre kind of thing? I would imagine part of the explaining would include that the kids need to do THIS at some times and need not do it at others. As in, "When we arrive we..." and "When we go to the next place you need not..."

JMO, but I am sure the kids have picked up on the fact that their Dad and Mom don't trust the press and that you always have to be on guard around the press. So no surprise that a little kid would gloat about getting away from them.

And I know otherwise dignified adults that stick out their tongues. Both my boss and her number two do this rolled tongue stuck out with a grimace to signify they are saying something cheeky. It really creeps me out and almost NOTHING creeps me out. I know they are saying something cheeky and the really ugly face adds nothing. :eek: Human beings are just odd IMO.

EDIT: I just saw the snaps of the kids on the watch boat. Good news that the kids and the Middletons do not appear to get seasick. And Charlotte spent time in the cabin - checking out how that boat gets about, I presume. I am one of the many that things she will be a gear head when she grows up!

Last edited:
Court Circular 8th August:
Kensington Palace

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge today held, and competed in, the inaugural King's Cup Regatta, Cowes, and were received by Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of Isle of Wight (Mrs. Susan Sheldon).

Their Royal Highnesses afterwards attended the King's Cup Regatta prize-giving ceremony, Cowes.

Does anyone know the name of the little girl holding Princess Charlotte’s hand at the regatta?

* Pic *

“The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will visit Birkenhead on Thursday 26th September to attend the naming ceremony of the UK’s new polar research ship, the #RRSSirDavidAttenborough.”

Via Kensington Palace Twitter

Reactions: eya
Unveiling ships at Cammell Laird is a great Royal tradition

MER_WGM_8085.jpg

https://artuk.org/discover/artworks...to-cammell-laird-birkenhead-14-may-1917-67279

Nice to see William and Kate picking it back up. The site stopped shipbuilding in 1994 but started doing Ferries in the early 00s, refitting existing ships, it did the flight decks for the new QEII aircraft carrier and Boaty is now its first fully made boat in decades.

Congratulations to Sir David Attenborough on this great honor. May she and all who sail on her return safely at the end of her voyages.

Great day at Lairds, Hope they'll be back for the next one!

Story and pics from the DM.

“The Duchess of Cambridge has officially named the polar research ship which the public voted to call Boaty McBoatface.

Kate, who is the ship's official sponsor, released a bottle of Champagne which smashed on the ship's hull in Cammell Laird shipyard in Birkenhead docks, Merseyside this afternoon.”

Read more: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...lar-research-ship-Sir-David-Attenborough.html

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were joined by Sir David Attenborough for the naming ceremony of the UK's new polar research ship.

Hundreds of thousand of people voted to call the ship Boaty McBoatface however the name was vetoed with it officially being named RRS Sir David Attenborough after the conservationist.

Prince William said there was "no person more fitting" for the ship to be named after, while Kate said it gave her "great pleasure" to honour him

Whatever you do, don't ask the public to vote. Boaty McBoatface is a prime example ;):D
Great to see Catherine at the engagement today and nice to see her with the king of nature documentaries, too!

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this afternoon gave a Reception at Kensington Palace for the finalists of BBC Radio One’s Teen Hero Awards

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Joint Patrons, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, afterwards held a Meeting.

- COURT CIRCULAR || 1 OCTOBER 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom