"Courtiers, The Hidden Power Behind The Crown" by Valentine Low (2022)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Author Valentine Low appears on Good Morning Britain.

They’ve done a lot of things that don’t seem to have been considered, from Meghan telling lies on the Oprah show to Harry making comments about the US presidential election. It’s all part of a pattern.

I was able to purchase a copy through the Australian kindle store today and I’m four chapters in (and still in the Diana years) and so far, I have to say, this book is great. It’s a serious work of journalism but it’s also entertaining, and I’ve already found a few snippets of info I didn’t know despite reading multiple biographies of those years.

I can’t wait to get to the juicy parts!

I was able to purchase a copy through the Australian kindle store today and I’m four chapters in (and still in the Diana years) and so far, I have to say, this book is great. It’s a serious work of journalism but it’s also entertaining, and I’ve already found a few snippets of info I didn’t know despite reading multiple biographies of those years.

Looking forward to your review. ?

I may have to read this. The last book on a modern royal I read was about Philip’s early life. Well researched and informative imo.

Describing it as a “serious work of journalism” makes me think this might really be a solid book.

I’ll be interested to read your review too. I’ve read a few mini reviews already online- and I am intrigued.

Book spoilers below.

I had to take a break, but I’m back at it and there’s a revelation in chapter 5 that broke my heart a bit. It was an author interview with Patrick Jephson, Diana’s private Secretary, who experienced a sudden deterioration of their working relationship he didn’t understand.

It wasn’t until years after her death when the information about what Marin Bashir did to secure the Panorama interview became public that he realized it was because she’d been lied to about him and that she died thinking he’d betrayed her.

That really brought home how cruel those actions were in a new way.

I’ve just finished reading Courtiers, and I was very impressed with it overall. Because it focuses more on the people who work for the Royal Family and less on the family members, it feels like a fresh take compared to previous royal books. It’s almost a work about organizational behavior- how people work within an organization, shaping it and being shaped by it- than a traditional royal book.

I think the juiciest bits were in the extracts, which is usually the case, but the entire book is certainly worth a read. It’s not strictly chronological, so I sometimes had to go back and refresh my memory on a detail or two, but I came away with a few takeaways:

1) The last ten years of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s reign were quite frustrating for outsiders- including those at Clarence House and Kensington Palace- because it was probably the time during her reign when she (and therefore her courtiers) were most resistant to change. I think that makes a lot of sense- change is much harder on someone in their nineties than it is on younger people.

2) The Prince of Wales (Prince William, for clarity) comes off as an extremely capable and levelheaded executive who is respected by his staff and is often a positive influence. That bodes very well for the future. There’s very little about Catherine in this book, and the way it is presented makes it sound like she is extremely undemanding and quite happy to take advice and recommendations. It also repeats the oft-stated theme of her as a peacemaker who was able to get the two brothers on the same page when their interests overlapped.

3) There are certainly a lot of anonymous sources used, but it is often about very specific things and is directly referenced as an author interview. Direct quotes are used often and sound credible. In the acknowledgments, the author states more than 100 interviews with current and former members of staff across all royal households were conducted as research.

4) There is a chapter about frustrations King Charles experienced as a young man and how he didn’t always handle them well and it struck me as something that could be written exactly about Prince Harry today. There are more parallels between the two men than I would have expected before I read this book.

5) There’s quite a complimentary line about Princess Beatrice in the chapter about Prince Andrew, and that was nice to read. As always, Prince Andrew comes off as a boorish and rude man who is obsessed with status, often unprepared, and difficult to work with. I honestly ended up feeling a little sorry for him- he comes off as quite unhappy.

6) Social media had a very detrimental effect on Prince Harry long before he met Meghan. He seems to have succumbed to the Twitter mentality that treats things there as much more serious than they are and he wanted to respond to every little slight long before he met Meghan. I hope one day he is able to find some peace from that and learn to care a lot less about what other people think of him. Meghan comes off as a difficult character, as always. But I do think Valentine Low tried very hard to be fair.

What a great review HRHHermione, precise and unbiased. I cannot wait to read this book myself and hope it is available here by Christmas.

Thanks for the review! Very interesting. I have to wait until January, I think.

What did Low say about Beatrice that was nice?

I read in another mini review that Low thinks Charles and William want to get rid of the silo structure that’s caused problems (ie communication, etc). More streamlining, getting everyone on the same page. Was that your impression?

Last edited:

I read in another mini review that Low thinks Charles and William want to get rid of the silo structure that’s caused problems (ie communication, etc). More streamlining, getting everyone on the same page. Was that your impression?

I don't understand the term 'silo structure'.

A silo, where I come from, is a place to store grain and nothing else.

That's the one my uncles had as well... However, I assume they are talking about different 'silos', i.e., different parts of the royal household that operate (quite) independently from each other. Each forming their own silo.

It’s also a way of describing a corporate structure. It basically means the divisions are separate. They do their own thing. Usually there is a lack of communication and information sharing.

I’ve heard from another reviewer- the take is that Charles and William want to get rid of this structure, streamline, get everyone on the same page. I think that would be a good thing. There would be more unity.

Thank you for the review, HRHHermione.

I also find this on twitter:

Some points I find interesting
On Andrew:
He made up stories about his staff to The Queen when he shouted at them so he could lay out the story before they complained about him.
How old was he? Sounds like a 6 year old breaking a vase and told his mummy it's the vase's vault for being in his way.

Then
In 2012, during the Diamond Jubilee, The Queen, Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and Harry appeared on the balcony to watch the fly past.

This upset Andrew who thought it was a “dagger to his heart, Edward was dismayed and Anne “couldn’t give a stuff”
Well, that's The Princess Royal for you! Balcony appearance, photo on the table, why the men are so vain?

Harry:
Harry would get annoyed when he wasn’t able to get on the ground with rangers all the time.

“There would be fantastic pictures that could go on Instagram and The National Geographic”: Harry would say.

William would say: “it’s a lot more than putting Instagram posts out”
I had an "eyebrow raised" moment when SR Instagram page stated they'd follow different charities for every month. And then there's him (and his wife) jumping for one bandwagon to other post-royal. I don't doubt that they genuinely want to do good, but I can't help to think whether it's more about vanity (of them seeking validation through adulation for what the did). The "don't let our left hand know what our right hand did" comes to mind. And, in my own believe, doing charity/volunteering/being philanthropist is about long term commitment because nothing would happen in short time with just one action, it's not a one time thing for gratification.

The Geidt story:
Downing Street put an end to Andrew being “special trade envoy to the government”. Andrew blamed courtier Christopher Geidt for this as they both had a mutual dislike for each other.

Geidt agreed with Charles’ choice that Beatrice and Eugenie not being working royals.

After some issues, Charles and Andrew worked together to oust Geidt. William was said to be furious, he didn’t necessarily disagree with the decision.

He thought it was just handled very unkindly and could have been done better.
Wow, Charles. Deposing him when he's no longer useful for you? What a lovely boss you were.

It’s also a way of describing a corporate structure. It basically means the divisions are separate. They do their own thing. Usually there is a lack of communication and information sharing.

I’ve heard from another reviewer- the take is that Charles and William want to get rid of this structure, streamline, get everyone on the same page. I think that would be a good thing. There would be more unity.
From what this twitter person read from the book, it seems KP was on board about one communication office under BP, but CH didn't like it.

HRHHermione, would you mind to clarify?

Last edited:

Thank you - it isn't a term used here as far as I know ... we would use 'divisional structure' which makes it clearer to me.

Regarding the Geidt story (and other stories shared), it sounds as if it is very important to William that staff is treated well. If you don't, you've got a problem (with William). Imho, that's a very good sign.

I think the definition that Erin9 is referring to has its roots in grain silos. What it refers to is separate sub-groups that are formed within a larger group that is not well integrated. So in the context of the British monarchy, it is having the Buckingham Palace, Clarence House and Kensington Palace organizations.`

That's rather ironic since Charles was at the root of the silos. However, I guess that now that he is in the top job he can better see the value of having things be more cohesive and integrated. Although I would not be surprised if going forward that the Prince/ss of Wales / Duke of Cornwall remained separate households because of the funding from the Duchy of Cornwall, but that the new paradigm will have the Buckingham Palace / Prince of Wales organizations being more integrated than they were under QEII. Another aspect that will make things easier is that the current state is just the monarch and heir apparent organizations and it will be a couple of decades before you have to deal with monarch and two adult heirs apparent - and that assumes that Charles had the same longevity as his parents and maternal grandmother. Also, William does not have to, and in my opinion should not, grant George his own court / household, George should be part of the Prince of Wales organization until he himself becomes Prince of Wales and Duke of Cornwall.

Apropos of nothing, I recently wrote a comment where I discussed the silos, but I don't think that it got posted because the thread got closed while I was drafting it.

Last edited:
From what this twitter person read from the book, it seems KP was on board about one communication office under BP, but CH didn't like it.
I am not getting this from the book but from past reports, there was a brief interlude where the communications offices of the three palaces were integrated, but eventually they went back to being silos and it was Charles who initiated the break up / return to silos.

The communications offices have always been separate between the offices of the monarch and the heir - going back centuries. The division was seen as necessary when the heir was at odds with the monarch and would support the opposition party in parliament. As the monarchy became less involved in politics the structure remained and until the past decade or so worked extremely well.

The idea to have everyone singing from the one song-sheet was Charles' but it didn't work as the by then three households had different views on what should be being said and so it was split back into three - by mutual consent.

I am not sure if William will won't to have his voice limited to only what Charles wants said or vice-versa so I suspect that the two communications offices will continue and there will be times when they are at odds on things.

He mentioned that she was in the room during the negotiations for the infamous interview with Emily Maitlis, and that she was the person everyone had a universally positive experience with- that she seemed very savvy and professional while also being gracious and polite, in a way that contrasted with her father's style. I got the impression she was trying really hard to help, but also that Andrew didn't necessarily want to listen to advice nor did he avail himself of professional PR help.

I will try to answer a couple of other questions! Just back from dinner.

As others have noted, the "silo structure" referred to here is a common way to describe a business structure where different divisions operate independently and sometimes at cross purposes.

Others asked about Charles and his communication staff. I would recommend they read the book rather than relying on my interpretation, but the interpretation I got was that he was not opposed in theory to the idea of a unified communications team serving all three households, but that he had finally been in a good place with his own team before that and he struggled to watch the people he felt comfortable with lose their autonomy.

For me, my professional background is in high-level administrative work, serving in chief of staff capacity to C-suite executives, and my take away from this book is that the way the palace operates is not dissimilar to any major corporate structure, but it's higher stakes in some ways. A lot of the squabbles seen here are very similar to what you would see in any corporate environment, but with the added pressure of press interest.

The communications offices have always been separate between the offices of the monarch and the heir - going back centuries. The division was seen as necessary when the heir was at odds with the monarch and would support the opposition party in parliament. As the monarchy became less involved in politics the structure remained and until the past decade or so worked extremely well.

The idea to have everyone singing from the one song-sheet was Charles' but it didn't work as the by then three households had different views on what should be being said and so it was split back into three - by mutual consent.

I am not sure if William will won't to have his voice limited to only what Charles wants said or vice-versa so I suspect that the two communications offices will continue and there will be times when they are at odds on things.

So, this book made the case that it was actually Christopher Geidt pushing hard to have "everyone singing from the one song-sheet" and that Charles was on board initially but struggled with how it affected his staff day to day.

I don't recall seeing that. From what I've read Charles was the first to break away from the monarch organization and form his own organization including communications team. And in his case, he did not even do this until the 1990s, perhaps late 80s, and that was also due to him wanting a team dedicated to his needs, especially to enhance his image / popularity vis a vis the uber-popularity of his first wife.

ETA:
I can't say that I have read tons of biographies, but I have read articles and biographies on Edward Vii and Edward VIII, two long-serving Princes of Wales,

Last edited:
It was always the case with the George's and then between Victoria and Edward VII.
Charles had his own office and communications team from the late 70s when he started as a full-time working royal. He re-organised his office after his separation to allow Diana her own office as well. Prior to their separation they had their own communications office but the office wasn't able to deal with both their needs and was totally separate to the office at BP.

George V had a separate office to his father as well. Elizabeth was in the process of establishing a separate office when she became Queen.

It was always the case with the George's and then between Victoria and Edward VII.
Charles had his own office and communications team from the late 70s when he started as a full-time working royal. He re-organised his office after his separation to allow Diana her own office as well. Prior to their separation they had their own communications office but the office wasn't able to deal with both their needs and was totally separate to the office at BP.

George V had a separate office to his father as well. Elizabeth was in the process of establishing a separate office when she became Queen.

The book makes the point though that prior to Elizabeth II’s reign, there wasn’t much of a communications operation because mass media didn’t exist. The palace put out basic press releases which were then distributed, but it wasn’t nearly as intensive before the first major disruption of the Elizabeth II era, television, and the second, internet.

It was actually really fascinating to read about how an ancient institution adapted, and the missteps and triumphs. That’s what was refreshing about this book- it was much less a gossip book than a corporate biography.

I think that a royal can have their own office but still be a part of the monarch's organization. That did happen in the past, but the distinction is that Charles set up his own organization / household / court to run independently to the fullest extend possible from the monarch's organization.

I think that a royal can have their own office but still be a part of the monarch's organization. That did happen in the past, but the distinction is that Charles set up his own organization / household / court to run independently to the fullest extend possible from the monarch's organization.

To be fair to King Charles, the book makes it clear that despite some of his struggles as a leader, his two most important accomplishments, The Prince’s Trust and his credibility as an early proponent of environmental sustainability, would not have happened otherwise. I came away with the idea that while he could be difficult to work for, more in his younger years than now, he was forward-thinking and intellectually bright in a way his mother’s staff were unprepared to deal with.

There were struggles, but I do think he is a more sympathetic figure for getting those two issues incredibly right.

To be fair to King Charles, the book makes it clear that despite some of his struggles as a leader, his two most important accomplishments, The Prince’s Trust and his credibility as an early proponent of environmental sustainability, would not have happened otherwise. I came away with the idea that while he could be difficult to work for, more in his younger years than now, he was forward-thinking and intellectually bright in a way his mother’s staff were unprepared to deal with.

There were struggles, but I do think he is a more sympathetic figure for getting those two issues incredibly right.
That's interesting. I mentioned upthread that I drafted a comment where I discussed the silos, I thought it did not get posted but it did, so I was mixing that post up with another one, here is what I posted a week or so ago:

[...]
I have been critical of the silos that were created during QEII's reign. Charles created his own office during his mother's reign, and IIRC it was motivated by him wanting to do things his way and not have to go through the BP bureaucracy, and because he had Duchy of Cornwall funding, he was able to do so. Years later, Charles set up a court for his sons when they were teenagers, and IIRC, he was motivated by wanting to allow his sons to pursue their interests without being fettered by their father's staffers. Presumably this court was the forerunner of the KP organization.

The BRF have been criticized because for having the three silos and some years ago they merged their communications operations, but then split up again with Charles being the driving factor behind the re-split, IIRC. As previously stated, I have been critical of the silos, but I have to wonder that if things were more centralized, would initiatives like Heads Together, Invictus, Duchy Organics, The Earth Shot Prize, etc. have come together. I think The Prince's Trust was formed before Charles formed his own office, but would it have reached its current scale if Charles had not spun off.
[...]

I will also highlight that in my recent posts, I mention there being a monarch organization and a Prince of Wales organization, so I am not promoting that everything be the same way as it was prior to Charles spinning off. I am saying let the Prince of Wales have his own household but the KC3 and POW organizations should be better integrated than the BP-CH-KP organizations were during QEII's reign.

Last edited:
That's interesting. I mentioned upthread that I drafted a comment where I discussed the silos, I thought it did not get posted but it did, so I was mixing that post up with another one, here is what I posted a week or so ago:

I will also highlight that in my recent posts, I mention there being a monarch organization and a Prince of Wales organization, so I am not promoting that everything be the same way as it was prior to Charles spinning off. I am saying let the Prince of Wales have his own household but KC3 and POW organizations should be better integrated that the BP-CH-KP organizations were during QEII's reign.

Your comment from a week ago, I think, fits in very nicely with the themes of this book and I do think King Charles learned from his own experiences and did try to give his sons the autonomy he had to fight for as a young man, with some stunning results. Also, the KP organization did a fantastic job with William and Catherine.

My impression is that in the last several years, after Prince Harry split from the KP office, KP and Clarence House have actually been in pretty good alignment and I hope that continues.

He mentioned that she was in the room during the negotiations for the infamous interview with Emily Maitlis, and that she was the person everyone had a universally positive experience with- that she seemed very savvy and professional while also being gracious and polite, in a way that contrasted with her father's style. I got the impression she was trying really hard to help, but also that Andrew didn't necessarily want to listen to advice nor did he avail himself of professional PR help.

I will try to answer a couple of other questions! Just back from dinner.

As others have noted, the "silo structure" referred to here is a common way to describe a business structure where different divisions operate independently and sometimes at cross purposes.

Others asked about Charles and his communication staff. I would recommend they read the book rather than relying on my interpretation, but the interpretation I got was that he was not opposed in theory to the idea of a unified communications team serving all three households, but that he had finally been in a good place with his own team before that and he struggled to watch the people he felt comfortable with lose their autonomy.

For me, my professional background is in high-level administrative work, serving in chief of staff capacity to C-suite executives, and my take away from this book is that the way the palace operates is not dissimilar to any major corporate structure, but it's higher stakes in some ways. A lot of the squabbles seen here are very similar to what you would see in any corporate environment, but with the added pressure of press interest.

Thank you.

I understand why Charles didn’t want the York girls working in the business, but Beatrice sounds like she would have been a real asset.

Thank you.

I understand why Charles didn’t want the York girls working in the business, but Beatrice sounds like she would have been a real asset.

I think it was the right call that Andrew’s daughters and the Wessex children wouldn’t be working members of the BRF, but both Beatrice and Eugenie have always seemed lovely to me, especially given the issues with their father and the cruel remarks that have been directed towards them from the time they were teenagers. Andrew and Sarah have made mistakes, but they can certainly be proud of how their children turned out. Had they been the children of the PoW instead of the Duke of York they probably would have represented the Royal Family extremely well.

Other than Elizabeth and George VI totally separate households, and courts, was the normal practice for centuries, often with virtually no communication between those households. Remember that the early George's were in a situation where they couldn't even stand their heirs.

Victoria's mother took her on tours of the country totally against the wishes of William IV as Victoria's household/court was a completely separate entity to the King's.

Back
Top Bottom