"Revenge" by Tom Bower (2022)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just spotted a(nother) rather glaring error in the preview.... it mentions Jessica Mulroney leading to Sophie Trudeau, whose father-in-law Pierre was the PM for four years.

Which he was.

In the 80's.

He was also prime minister for NINE YEARS before that. While this doesn't make me question Bowers's sources or his journalism, it certainly makes me question his editor...:ermm:

I have to say that I'm eager to read Bowers' book and it's on reserve for me at the library.

I'm a bit annoyed by that because I was the one who recommended the library purchase it. Since they did (because of the recommendation) shouldn't I get it first?

Instead I'm on a long wait list!

I have to say that I'm eager to read Bowers' book and it's on reserve for me at the library.

I'm a bit annoyed by that because I was the one who recommended the library purchase it. Since they did (because of the recommendation) shouldn't I get it first?

Instead I'm on a long wait list!

I have library work experience and am certain many patrons made the same purchase recommendation. These requests are kept until the item is actually ordered and then placed on the reserve list in order of receipt.
(I’ve seen stacks of recommendations for any anticipated new title and the librarians always are like “what? did they think we wouldn’t order it?!?”)

(I’ve seen stacks of recommendations for any anticipated new title and the librarians always are like “what? did they think we wouldn’t order it?!?”)

True, but I'm often surprised at what libraries don't have!
I once asked for a copy of Anna Karenina and the library didn't have it.

(No, it wasn't checked out; they just didn't own it. And this was a very large library).

I just spotted a(nother) rather glaring error in the preview.... it mentions Jessica Mulroney leading to Sophie Trudeau, whose father-in-law Pierre was the PM for four years.

Which he was.

In the 80's.

He was also prime minister for NINE YEARS before that. While this doesn't make me question Bowers's sources or his journalism, it certainly makes me question his editor...:ermm:

It was badly edited in places. Factual errors, dates, events mixed up. Which I get when he is just writing it but it should be edited better. Many of those things will be picked up for the second run etc. I often find spelling errors in first prints.

I do wonder if they didn’t give it enough time with the editors. They may have originally planned for the Christmas market but with Harry’s own rumoured book they may have rushed it out.

Depressing is the word I would use as well. It left me unimpressed with many people, not just H&M. I would not want to work for, or marry into the BRF.

It was never a job for the faint hearted. But let’s be pragmatic about it. Most of them do absolutely fine with their lives. The Queen has 8 grandchildren. So far 7 have done absolutely fine.

Only one of the eight grandchildren is working as a fulltime royal. One of the eight grandchildren is still a child. His sister is about to embark on her adult life. We don’t know what is in their future. One is divorced and has also had controversies. One has only been married for a short time really but is happy so far. The others are happily married with growing children, and equally are happy with their lives.

Last edited:
One of the eight grandchildren is a child. His sister is about to embark on her adult life. We don’t know what is in their future. One is divorced. Two have only been married for a short time really but are happy so far. The others are happily married with growing children, and equally are happy with their lives.

Either one or three have been married for a short time - depending on whether you consider 4 years short or not:
Peter: 2008 (divorced 2021)
William: 2011
Zara: 2011
Harry: 2018
Eugenie: 2018
Beatrice: 2020

Nonetheless, FigTree wasn't talking about personal happiness (which could also apply to the queen's youngest grandchildren) but about being an integral part of the royal family. It is pretty clear that one is unhappy about being part of the firm; he thinks (and made these thoughts public knowledge) those that are still in it are trapped.

It was badly edited in places. Factual errors, dates, events mixed up. Which I get when he is just writing it but it should be edited better. Many of those things will be picked up for the second run etc. I often find spelling errors in first prints.

I do wonder if they didn’t give it enough time with the editors. They may have originally planned for the Christmas market but with Harry’s own rumoured book they may have rushed it out.

"Not enough editing time" doesn't exactly ring true to me. The book came out several months after publishing dates were thrown about. Whatever he was waiting to include, the rest of the manuscript wasn't fine-combed enough during the duration.

Either one or three have been married for a short time - depending on whether you consider 4 years short or not:
Peter: 2008 (divorced 2021)
William: 2011
Zara: 2011
Harry: 2018
Eugenie: 2018
Beatrice: 2020

Nonetheless, FigTree wasn't talking about personal happiness (which could also apply to the queen's youngest grandchildren) but about being an integral part of the royal family. It is pretty clear that one is unhappy about being part of the firm; he thinks (and made these thoughts public knowledge) those that are still in it are trapped.

Only one is a fulltime working royal. The others have private lives and the other adults have careers outside the royal family. They don’t perform royal duties and aren’t an ‘integral part’ of the BRF. Harry made it clear in that interview that he was talking about his father and brother when he was referring to being ‘trapped in the system’, not Zara, Peter, the York sisters etc. And yes, I don’t regard four and a half years as being a short marriage, especially as Harry and Meghan have two children.

Last edited:
Only one is a fulltime working royal. The others have private lives and the other adults have careers outside the royal family. They don’t perform royal duties and aren’t an ‘integral part’ of the BRF. Harry made it clear in that interview that he was talking about his father and brother when he was referring to being ‘trapped in the system’, not Zara, Peter, the York sisters etc. And yes, I don’t regard four and a half years as being a short marriage, especially as Harry and Meghan have two children.

That's fine, so Eugenie and Jack haven't been married for a short time either: one couple has been married for 51 months and the other for 47 months. Even Beatrice has been married for over 2 years (25 months) by now.

However, the number of children has no relation at all to the length of a marriage. Marriages don't increase in length or worth when children are born.

Most marriages within the royal family aren’t accompanied though by dire predictions of divorce within months on both social media platforms and by commentators and observers from the start. Harry’s and Meghan’s marriage has I believe been strengthened by the birth of children. Harry looked forward to and talked about having children from his teens.

Last edited:
Most marriages within the royal family aren’t accompanied though by dire predictions of divorce within months on both social media platforms and by commentators and observers from the start. Harry’s and Meghan’s marriage has I believe been strengthened by the birth of children. Harry looked forward to and talked about having children from his teens.

We have people guessing edo and Beatrices engagement would be broken off not that long ago

How many people are 100% happy? Would William and Catherine be happier if they were on the average wage, struggling to pay rising fuel bills and being bullied by nasty bosses? No-one's life is perfect. And plenty of couples from all backgrounds get divorced.

Only one of the eight grandchildren is working as a fulltime royal. One of the eight grandchildren is still a child. His sister is about to embark on her adult life. We don’t know what is in their future. One is divorced and has also had controversies. One has only been married for a short time really but is happy so far. The others are happily married with growing children, and equally are happy with their lives.

I was talking about them seeming okay in the BRF which they were all born into and which their partners married into. If they are married.

The comment was being about not not ever wanting to be a member of the family and I said no it is tough but pragmatically most of them are absolutely fine and deal with their varying levels of connection to the ‘top’ fine.

And I have to disagree. Children don’t tend to make marriages stronger. They test them to the limit…which is obviously made less when you have staff to help especially through the initial years of exhaustion.

All to say that the family have multiple compensations for the various things they have to put up with.

Harry and Meghan’s real hardship seemed to revolve around not being able to say and do everything they wanted and having to slot into the hierarchy.

How many people are 100% happy? Would William and Catherine be happier if they were on the average wage, struggling to pay rising fuel bills and being bullied by nasty bosses? No-one's life is perfect. And plenty of couples from all backgrounds get divorced.

Would William have ever gotten Catherine if this was the case? But you are right life’s choices and decisions vary and no one’s is without problems, challenges and compromises.

of course noone is completly happy. the happiest marriages can have bad times. Life isnt easy even for the very rich

Harry and Meghan’s real hardship seemed to revolve around not being able to say and do everything they wanted and having to slot into the hierarchy.

Again, I think that's true of all jobs. We've probably all been frustrated by rules at work which seem silly to us, and disagreed with decisions made by bosses and managers, which we're forced to put into practice. Harry will have had to abide by all sorts of rules in the Army, and Meghan presumably had to abide by other people's rules during her acting career. They just don't seem to have been able to accept that this would apply to being a working Royal as well.

Again, I think that's true of all jobs. We've probably all been frustrated by rules at work which seem silly to us, and disagreed with decisions made by bosses and managers, which we're forced to put into practice. Harry will have had to abide by all sorts of rules in the Army, and Meghan presumably had to abide by other people's rules during her acting career. They just don't seem to have been able to accept that this would apply to being a working Royal as well.

While I agree that’s true of all jobs, I do have a couple of thoughts w/r/t Harry and Meghan:

IIRC- while Harry naturally had rules to abide by in the army, didn’t he cut his career short because of a “rule” he didn’t like: the part about a desk job?

And Meghan- one thing about that career- the jobs change a lot. If you don’t like something- change is inevitably around the corner.

While I agree that’s true of all jobs, I do have a couple of thoughts w/r/t Harry and Meghan:

IIRC- while Harry naturally had rules to abide by in the army, didn’t he cut his career short because of a “rule” he didn’t like: the part about a desk job?

And Meghan- one thing about that career- the jobs change a lot. If you don’t like something- change is inevitably around the corner.

I don’t think any of that matters. In this situation, with this combination of perople, they were unable to accept not being no 1 or tolerate delays or not see vipers everywhere.

Serena herself said that they were acquaintances.

That statement of Serena was at the time of the Vanity Fair interview - summer of 2017. Since then a lot of water has passed under the bridge.

And IMO it's understandable that in 2017 the relationship between Serena and Meghan was not as close and that Serena believed that at the time they were not friends. However it does appear that the pair now consider themselves to be friends.

However Tom Bower made sure that he included that statement of Serena’s in a 2022 book without apparently emphasising that what she said was five years ago. Not particularly honest of him, IMO.

However Tom Bower made sure that he included that statement of Serena’s in a 2022 book without apparently emphasising that what she said was five years ago. Not particularly honest of him, IMO.

He did. It was on context of the article.

The media made a big thing of the Serena statement at the time they were commenting on Revenge. Tom Bower has always had a lot to say in negative terms about Meghan, including her friendships. He hasn’t said anything about Meghan and Serena since the podcast apparently.

The media made a big thing of the Serena statement at the time they were commenting on Revenge. Tom Bower has always had a lot to say in negative terms about Meghan, including her friendships. He hasn’t said anything about Meghan and Serena since the podcast apparently.

What podcast? He said Serena said they were acquaintances in 2017…so? I happen to have mixed feelings on Serena anyway. A very bad sports person for supporting others. Don’t know why Meghan would want to make such a big deal out of the friendship. But then like people say about the Queen…the relationship is more on their side then on hers.

Meghan’s podcast Archetypes on Spotify, in which Serena was her first guest. The two women spoke about their long friendship and loyalty.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...-tom-bower-book-claims-serena-williams-update

TOM BOWER'S claims that Serena Williams denied being friends with Meghan Markle have been debunked after she appeared as the Duchess' first guest on her new podcast, Archetypes.

The two things have nothing to do with each other. A lot can change in 5 years. Why would he comment on it. He doesn’t care. He is a writer. He writes books and his job is done. He’s moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom