Catherine Middleton Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read some more of your suggestions and looked at your lovely dresses [I'm a newbie, just catching up].

I agree with people who are opting for a more-formal style; this after all is a very formal religious ceremony at Westminster Abbey in the prescence of the Royal Family [and indeed many other Crowned Heads]

This would indicate 'not too much flesh' should be on display, so I think this means long sleeves, covered shoulders, not too low a neckline etc.

Her bouquet will probably be white or cream, or mainly so, perhaps with a little foliage. Possibly a small sprig of Myrtle. Perhaps even incorporating a couple of flowers from Althorp, to provide a reference point to Diana. William was very keen on 'letting Diana be part of the engagement', and so he might well want to include some 'Diana touches' in the Wedding.

A lot of people I have been talking to [they are not experts, just interested] think that the colour will be Ivory.

I don't think the dress will be too straight - there has to be room for Catherine to Curtesy etc. But neither do I think that it will be as full as Diana's.

The train will presumably be long enough not to get 'lost' as Catherine walks up and down the Aisle.

One very important point - it must be of a sufficiently heavy silk NOT to crease. The Princess of Wales' dress creased terribly.

Whoever designs it must have a sufficiently large workroom to cope with making several dresses in a comparatively short time - the bridesmaids will need dresses too.

Had Catherine Walker still been alive, I think that she would have been a strong contender because of her links with the Diana. If what one reads in the better quality papers is true, Prince William reputedly was reputedly an admirer of his mother's favourite designer - he was quite involved with the Sale of Diana's Dresses for Charity [the Princess mentioned him specifically when thanking him for his 'inspiration' for the charity sale.]

A name that people are mentioning as a designer [with presumably no inside knowledge] is Amanda Wakely. She certainly did dresses for the Princess of Wales, who she knew quite well from her work, and has a long-established and tasteful wedding dress side of her business. She has been honoured for her work [OBE form memory] with a breast cancer charity. She is in her late 40's or thereabouts. Presumably she has sufficient capacity in her workroom. She is known for her discretion and for being incrediby nice.

One thing that I am interested in is the fact that this Wedding has one more element than all the recent royal weddings: There is the Church Ceremony, then there is the 'Wedding breakfast' at the palace and then later that evening there is the even more select party and dance being thrown for the happy couple by The Prince of Wales. Diana and Sarah both started their honeymoons after the afternoon wedding breakfast, and so we got to see their 'going away outfits' in the later part of the afternoon as they set off for their honeymoons. This doesn't appear to be possible in the case of Prince William and Catherine.

The 'two receptions' also means that Catherine has a decision to make - presumably she is going to change into a new dress for the party that the Prince of Wales will be throwing for the couple. I can't see her wearing her wedding dress [even if the train detaches] for all that dancing. If Catherine does therefore need a second dress, this opens up an intriuging possibility. She has been loyal to ISSA; the general feeling amongst people seems to be that ISSA wouldn't design for the actually Wedding Ceremony for various reasons [no experience of grand wedding dresses, Brazilian rather than British etc] so perhaps Catherine might honour her with her dress for the evening.

One more thought about the Tiara - I do hope that Catherine's lovely hair isn't supplemented by a 'hair piece'; I remember disliking the very-obvious false hairpiece borne by Viscountess Lindley.

It's fun to think though, isn't it?

Last edited:
OMG..You are fabulous wealth of knowledge..

Pleasant to read from a fan across the pond.

Gramercy!

It is fun to think about, Diarist. I've been looking at Phillipa Lepley's website. Her wedding dresses are gorgeous, imo.

I too love Lepley's work best of all, but perhaps Kate will go even more haute couture. There is certainly a lot of sentiment for her to go in that direction in the fashion press...

Just think, only three more weeks of wondering!!!

Last edited:
Her gowns are gorgeous, with some tweaking, ..they look like HRH to be gowns...simply yet feminine...

OMG..You are fabulous wealth of knowledge..

Pleasant to read from a fan across the pond.

Gramercy!

Why thank you, Lady Catherine.

I've got no particular 'inside' knowledge on this one, I must make clear. But sometimes one can make what I would call 'intelligent, informed guesses'. Take the Myrtle in the Royal Bouquet to which I referred above; don't forget that there were a few sprigs of Myrtle in the bouquet of Diana that came from a bush at Osborne House, Queen Victoria's house on the Isle of Wight. This bush had been grown from a piece of myrtle in the wedding bouquet of Princess Victoria, Queen Victoria's eldest daughter...

so to me, it's a fair guess that Catherine will continue the tradition,

have fun anticipating,

Alex

Many people think Catherine will choose something sleek and modern, but I have my doubts. I think such a dress will look out of place amidst the grandeur of Westminster Abbey.

A slimline dress without a train or veil would be OK for, say, a register office but would indeed look out of place in Westminster Abbey. Maybe she might go for something like Princess Alexandra's wedding dress as that was slim-skirted but flowed back into a long train.

One more thought about the Tiara - I do hope that Catherine's lovely hair isn't supplemented by a 'hair piece'; I remember disliking the very-obvious false hairpiece borne by Viscountess Lindley.
I think that's Princess Margaret you're referring to, Diarist. I know Serena Stanhope (later Viscountess Linley) wore her hair up but not sure if she had a false hairpiece.

Serena's Wedding Hair

I don't know if Diarist has some inside information, but photos of her wedding show an unusually large "pompador" of hair coming out of the top of her tiara. I thought at the time that it was somewhat out of proportion, and that there was quite a lot of hair up there...

Perhaps she indeed has thick, thick, abundant hair. At any rate, I couldn't help wondering if there was perhaps some "augmentation.";)

Serena's hair reminded me of Rania's, which certainly was way over the top (no pun intended), although considering Rania's abundant hair, I didn't think "hmmm...hairpiece?"

AND, BTW, I don't mean to suggest that there is anything wrong with using hair pieces...

Last edited:
A slimline dress without a train or veil would be OK for, say, a register office but would indeed look out of place in Westminster Abbey. Maybe she might go for something like Princess Alexandra's wedding dress as that was slim-skirted but flowed back into a long train.

Catherine, I completely agree with you - something like Princess Alexandra's dress would be perfect as it was very sleek and stylish as well as being grand!

Getty Images - Browser non supportato rilevato

I apologize if someone has already suggested this but I think the cut of the blue coat in the image above would make a nice cut for her wedding dress. Obviously, the gown would be floor length but I like how this emphacizes her waist and has the close fit style she wears in many of her jackets. Convert this to a long white silk dress and I think it's very CM.

Getty Images - Browser non supportato rilevato

I apologize if someone has already suggested this but I think the cut of the blue coat in the image above would make a nice cut for her wedding dress. Obviously, the gown would be floor length but I like how this emphacizes her waist and has the close fit style she wears in many of her jackets. Convert this to a long white silk dress and I think it's very CM.

I totally agree. She has a great figure, and her dress should emphasize that. CPss Mary's wedding dress is a nice template for where Catherine's dress should start from. I know a lot of people weren't fond of the panels of lace in the skirt of the dress, but what I thought was most flattering about it was the bodice, from the waistline to the neckline. I thought it suited Mary's slim figure very well, and would do the same for Catherine.

:previous:

Yes that blue coat would be a great silhouette for Kate. It would be good if Kate has had the opportunity to look at other recent royal wedding dresses such as CPss's Mary and Victoria to get some inspiration of the cut and scale of the dress she could wear.

I do personally think that the lines of her dress will be sleek and slender yet not figure hugging, have exceptional cutting and tailoring and have minimal yet exquisite embroidery. It's not a dress that will completely change the fashion world or shock everyone with it's design and it may even gain a similar reaction to CP Victoria's dress which was wonderful and well received but did not overly "wow" people.

I do have a feeling that Kate's dress will be reminiscent of the Queen's (and hopefully Princess Alexandra's) gown - good solid British workmanship!

Can anyone else picture Kate in another royals wedding dress?I can picture her in a dress like Princess Claire or CP Victoria.What do you think?

Can anyone else picture Kate in another royals wedding dress?I can picture her in a dress like Princess Claire or CP Victoria.What do you think?

I'd look to the past for something like Princess Marina's. It was beautifully cut on the bias in the lovely style of the 1930's. Even though they are in black & white, Marina's wedding photo's just have not dated.

I think something fuller skirted would look more Princesslike for Kate.

I think something fuller skirted would look more Princesslike for Kate.

I may be wrong but I really don't see Catherine in that kind of sillouette. All of her clothes seem to rely on cut and tailoring rather than the "princessy frou frou" we saw in Diana's early days.

I have to say, I just did not like CP Victoria's dress! If it hadn't been for that lovely tiara, she'd have looked like a nun preparing to take her vows!

(Although, I have to admit the dress did suit Victoria! But I think it is too plain for Kate.)

I could see Kate in a slimming gown with the beading and design similar to that of the Duchess of York's wedding gown - she had design on the train in 'S' shapes - very nice personal touch. Also, I could see Kate going with white instead of ivory like Diana and Sarah did. It would suit her coloring a little better.

I may be wrong but I really don't see Catherine in that kind of sillouette. All of her clothes seem to rely on cut and tailoring rather than the "princessy frou frou" we saw in Diana's early days.

Catherine will benefit from an A sillouette with some volume. She has the heights and body to carry a lot of different shaped dresses, but we're talking about a Royal Wedding on the Westminster Abbey. Come'on, girl! Don't be afraid to "work it". :lol:

I have to say, I just did not like CP Victoria's dress! If it hadn't been for that lovely tiara, she'd have looked like a nun preparing to take her vows!

(Although, I have to admit the dress did suit Victoria! But I think it is too plain for Kate.)

Same here, I didn't like Victoria's dress either. It suited her, agreed, but not suitable for Catherine. Too plain indeed.

I've been looking back at some earlier wedding dresses and Princess Alexandra, Queen Silvia and Queen Sonja all have very lovely dresses. It was interesting to see these lovely ladies and how they have "matured" over the years. Queen Silvia especially was very lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom