Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see them ignoring tradition in order to be trendy. This is not only their first born, it is the heir to the throne. The names should honor the significance of this baby's birth and future. If they have other children, they can throw in a trendy name here and there, but not for the first born. Besides, since the Queen needs to approve the choices, I don't see her approving any name that is not significant to he Royal Family or Catherine's family.

I would say so. Even though I personally am not superstitious, it's a rather inauspicious name in the sense that it brings back the legacies of Prince John, Prince Alexander John, King John, etc.

Here's where we could have a debate: How is legacy of the name John any different from Charles? After all, Charles I did not meet with a good end and Charles II died without a legitimate heir.

They don't give a stuff about long term history of names - the Queen used Charles and Edward.

And no royal family cares about the names of other royal families. Did Albert and Paola say 53 years ago - oops cant call our child Philip cos that's the name of the British PRince Consort!

I think if they like it they will use it.

I love the fact that they took time to be together as a threesome - that means the name and the baby will match. Just MO

Here's where we could have a debate: How is legacy of the name John any different from Charles? After all, Charles I did not meet with a good end and Charles II died without a legitimate heir.

That's a good point. I don't think Charles II's legacy was that awful though. He didn't really die early in the context of the time.

The name John is basically 100% negative as far as the BRF goes. I don't think they'd want to open the wound of Prince John with HM alive.

My grandmother died from the flu epidemic in 1918 when my father was 6 months old. He named me after her. When he looked at me he didn't think tragedy, he thought - that's my girl, let's go fishing!

That's a good point. I don't think Charles II's legacy was that awful though. He didn't really die early in the context of the time.

The name John is basically 100% negative as far as the BRF goes. I don't think they'd want to open the wound of Prince John with HM alive.
You could be right but Prince John died before the Queen was born, it can't be that big of a wound. If William and Catherine want to name their child John, I can't see the Queen refusing them on that basis. We'll know soon enough.

John has pretty much never had good results, despite having been used 8 times in the English/British RF and once in the Scottish RF.

Basically most Prince John have died as children or still very young (a couple died in their early 20s). Only 3 of the 9 had legitimate issue, and of those 3 1 was King John of England (known for Robin Hood), 1 was John Balliol (known for essentially losing Scotland to Edward I), and 1 was John of Gaunt, whose issue (legitimate and otherwise) went on to cause the War of the Roses. There was another John who had legitimate surviving issue, but he chose to change his name when he became King of Scots because he didn't want to be associated with Balliol.

Charles on the other had was used by a father/son duo - one who royally screwed over the monarchy and the other who, despite not having legitimate issue, restored it. It's a mixed name but it doesn't quite have the history of John.

I think people on this forum worry more over the history of names than the BRF ever will.

I am also thinking Phillip as the first name. I think it would please both of his grandparents to know that there will one day be a King Phillip. As we saw with the guest list for the wedding, QE2 does take William's wishes strongly into consideration. Harry has done some pretty wild things, but William has always been the responsible one. I think the Queen respects him.

I think people on this forum worry more over the history of names than the BRF ever will.

I agree. That said, I don't think the name will be John. I think they will honor members of their family.

I had really only considered female names. So, here are two choices:

Philip Charles Michael John (the DOE, POW, Mr. Middleton, Diana's father) OR
Philip Andrew Charles Michael (DOE, School Name, POW, Mr. Middleton)

I wouldn't say that anyone worries about the history of names so much as some of us are informed of the history and, in the case of John, have heard the story of the Queen nixing it before.

phillip, Charles, henry and Michael...strong male figures who will influence the boy in the right ways. people he can learn to be a good man and royal from. why go further?

If John is considered unlucky, wouldn't Arthur also be? He died young, before he could inherit the throne.

Richard had that unfortunate "Dick" nickname.
Stephen had The Anarchy.
Charles, Edward, William, Henry, James are in use by the immediate family.

What does that leave?
Unfortunately, I think it's bound to be George!

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that anyone worries about the history of names so much as some of us are informed of the history and, in the case of John, have heard the story of the Queen nixing it before.

When did the Queen nix it before? Yes, perhaps 'worries" was the wrong word. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that some people on the forum are more 'interested' in the history of names than William or Catherine are. Although William and Catherine are probably very interested now.

I imagine it will probably get Charles Phillip Michael. Hoping for
Richard Charles Phillip Michael
Alexander Charles Phillip Michael

cos I have a small wager on those names too having won on the date!

George Philip Charles Michael is still my guess. I could also see Arthur, Albert or even Alfred as possibilities for middle names, but I bet they will be as traditional as possible with the first boy. I don't think they will use the names of close relatives for a first name.No James, Philip, Henry, Edward, Andrew, etc.

One of the problems I see with the name Philip after reading this thread is that many people do not know how to spell it.....it is Philip not Phillip. Hopefully they will chose a first name that everyone knows how to spell.

You can spell Phillip with one L or two. My brother in law is Phillip! It can be confusing. My name can be spelt 5 or 6 ways over the years things can change. I would love for them to call him Phillip as a tribute to his great Grandfather or George is another favourite not Arthur or Albert as a first name they are just so old. They could surprise us and have a more modern first name and he can pick the name he reigns under from one of his middle names.

They'd learn to spell it soon enough if it were the baby's name. I think it would be a nice gesture if they did call him Philip, but it's not really a British royal name. Prince Phil? Prince Flip or Pip? George is such a nice, solid name. There's also Saint George and the Dragon.

I am hoping for Philip as a first name, though I think George is a good possibility. Two names I think are totally out for first names are John and Arthur.

Anyone know what Kate's grandfathers and/or great grandfathers names were? they could always name him after the four grandfathers, two names from each side.

Anyone know what Kate's grandfathers and/or great grandfathers names were? they could always name him after the four grandfathers, two names from each side.

Michael and Ronald

I could see Michael but probably not Ronald. But who knows.

One of her grandfathers was Ronald. I would think she'd be more likely to use her father's name, though.

John is considered unlucky in the Royal Family so I doubt they would choose that. What about Williams friends? He has some close buddies maybe he will choose one of them? I hope it isn't too long before we know. LOL

The very traditional thing to do is to name the first born after the paternal grandfather and the second born after the maternal grandfather.(which we did)

The very traditional thing to do is to name the first born after the paternal grandfather and the second born after the maternal grandfather.(which we did)
That mean that we would have two 'Prince Charles' for another ten years at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom