Third Baby for Amadeo and Elisabetta: Alix

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But she is an Archduchess of Austria-Este for sure! :wub:

What a blessing for King Albert and Queen Paola to get to know three great-grandchildren.
I don't know why, but I have this feeling that Princess Elisabeth could be chosen as Alix's godmother.

Last edited:
Many congratulations to the couple. :flowers:

What a beautiful surprise!! Congratulations to the parents, grandparents and great-grandparents!:flowers:
I love the name Alix!

Congratulations to the couple!

I assume she will be styled “ Princess Alix” following the precedent of her older siblings , but, according to the Royal Decree of 2015, will not be a Princess of Belgium.

Exactly! :flowers: The Palace, whenever it styled Anna Astrid with a title, referred to her as Princess and not Archduchess. That may or may not change in the future, but for now, it is what it is.

http://people.com/royals/princess-anna-astrid-brussels-prince-amedeo-and-elisabetta-welcome-baby/

"The royal family’s newest member will enjoy the title of princess – but, for dynastic reasons, she will not be a Princess of Belgium, the palace spokesman confirms to PEOPLE.

“It’s entirely possible that she may assume other titles in due course,” according to the spokesman, who confirms that the young family will live in Brussels."​

Additional palace announcements referring to "Princess Anna Astrid" at the bottom of this post: https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...1-ending-aug-2023-a-38975-16.html#post2117594

Woooow!

Congratulations to parents, siblings, grandparents and great-grandparents!

Welcome to the world, Princess Alix!

I don't know why, but I have this feeling that Princess Elisabeth could be chosen as Alix's godmother.
Given how private Amedeo and Lili are (we didn't even know she was pregnant before today's announcement!) it's likely we'll never hear about little Alix's godparents, but I agree it woud be lovely if they chose Elisabeth .King Philippe (then Prince) was a godfather to Prince Amedeo in 1986, and then Amedeo was Elisabeth's godfather in 2001

I appreciate that Prince Amedeo and Princess Elisabetta have made the effort to have all their children born in Belgium, even though they live in Basel. Hopefully Princess Maria Laura and William Isvy will do the same, if they continue to live in London and have children.

Alix's name appears to be the odd one out among her siblings. Anna Astrid shares her second name with Princess Astrid and Queen Astrid, and Maximilian shares his name with Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I, who was consort and later regent of the Burgundian Netherlands, which approximately corresponds to present-day Belgium. But Alix has no Belgian royal connection that I can think of.

By the way, it is Prince Amedeo, with the Italian spelling, rather than Amadeo. :flowers:

I immediately thought of Queen Mathilde's late sister, Marie-Alix....who tragically lost her life in a car accident close to where I live in 1997 .....

Best wishes to the family, what a delight

I appreciate that Prince Amedeo and Princess Elisabetta have made the effort to have all their children born in Belgium, even though they live in Basel. Hopefully Princess Maria Laura and William Isvy will do the same, if they continue to live in London and have children.

Alix's name appears to be the odd one out among her siblings. Anna Astrid shares her second name with Princess Astrid and Queen Astrid, and Maximilian shares his name with Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I, who was consort and later regent of the Burgundian Netherlands, which approximately corresponds to present-day Belgium. But Alix has no Belgian royal connection that I can think of.

By the way, it is Prince Amedeo, with the Italian spelling, rather than Amadeo. :flowers:

Interesting observation. I hadn't linked Maximilian to 'Belgium' either to be honest but get where you are coming from.

I immediately thought of Queen Mathilde's late sister, Marie-Alix....who tragically lost her life in a car accident close to where I live in 1997 .....

Thanks for pointing that out. I don't think she was named for the sister of the wife of Amedeo's uncle, however. My immediate thought was for 'Princess Alix de Ligne' (both the one born as princess of Luxembourg and her granddaughter), however, while de Lignes are a princely family in Belgium, they are only indirectly related by marriage (Princess Alix de Ligne, née of Luxembourg was the sister-in-law of Josephine-Charlotte, Amedeo's great-aunt, so it's unlikely that the baby was named after her (although she could theoretically be named after the younger princess Alix de Ligne - especially if she would end up as the baby's godmother).

Amedeo and his siblings all carry the names of their godparents. Even the godparent of the opposite gender. So it would not be too surprising if Alix de Ligne was godmother.

Amedeo Marie Joseph Carl Pierre Philippe Paola Marcus d'Aviano- Philippe and Paola for his godparents

Maria Laura Zita Beatrix Gerhard- Beatrix and Gerhard for her godparents Archduchess Maria Beatrix and Archduke Gerhard (paternal aunt and uncle)

Prince Joachim Karl-Maria Nikolaus Isabelle Marcus d'Aviano of Belgium- Nikolaus for Nikolaus of Lichtenstein and Isabelle for Archduchess Isbaelle.

Princess Luisa Maria Anna Martine Pilar of Belgium- Martine for Archduke Martin (noticably this time went the feminine form) and Pilar for Pilar Escriva de Romani.

Princess Laetitia Maria Nora Anna Joachim Zita of Belgium- Joachim for her brother, and Nora for Archduchess Nora

Astrid continued a tradition of her parents, honoring both godparents. Philippe has Leopod and Luis (masculine of his godmother Luisa). Astrid has Josephine-Charlotte and Fabrizio (her maternal uncle/godfather). Oddly Laurent is the only siblings who doesn't have both. His godmother Sophie of Arenberg was not included. His godfather Bettino kind of was as Benoit is a variation. Philippe's kids have the names of their godparent of the same gender.

Funny enough back when Amedeo and Alix were both single, I recall talk the two

And the name "Maximilian" also has another Belgian connection (albeit not a lucky one) through Archduke Maximilian, later Emperor of Mexico, who married Princess Charlotte of Belgium, King Leopold I's only daughter.
As for Alix, it's a quite popular and traditional name, also in the Belgian aristocracy (see Alix of Ligne, the late Countess Alix of Lannoy, mother of HGD Stephanie, and Marie-Alix d'Udekem d'Acoz) but it seems indeed that she wasn't named after anyone specifically

Given how private Amedeo and Lili are (we didn't even know she was pregnant before today's announcement!) it's likely we'll never hear about little Alix's godparents, but I agree it woud be lovely if they chose Elisabeth .King Philippe (then Prince) was a godfather to Prince Amedeo in 1986, and then Amedeo was Elisabeth's godfather in 2001
Would that make her the first Gen z royal to be a GodParent? even though I think Prince Christian of Denmark might be a God Father

I think we never knew who Anna Astrid and Maximilian's godparents were. There weren't even any photos of the baptisms.
The same is likely to happen with Alix.

Would that make her the first Gen z royal to be a GodParent? even though I think Prince Christian of Denmark might be a God Father

Not quite the case. I don’t see the connection between Amedeo and Christian per se. But hopefully, let’s keep our fingerscrossed.

Amedeo has been keeping these things private.

I think we never knew who Anna Astrid and Maximilian's godparents were. There weren't even any photos of the baptisms.
The same is likely to happen with Alix.
In this article about Prince Joachim it is mentioned he's the godfather of his niece Anna Astrid. I couldn't find any other information about the godparents of Prince Amedeo's children, but I think it's likely Princess Maria Laura was also chosen as a godmother to either her niece or nephew

Not quite the case. I don’t see the connection between Amedeo and Christian per se. But hopefully, let’s keep our fingerscrossed.

Amedeo has been keeping these things private.

I was asking if christian was a God father to any child not Amedeo newborn

Congratulation to Amadeo and Elisabetta upon the birth of Alix!

I was asking if christian was a God father to any child not Amedeo newborn

Yes, Christian has just become Godfather to Prince Gustav and Princess Carina of Berleberg’s child (Princess Benedikte of Denmark’s grandchild).

Back
Top Bottom