20th Anniversary of the Death of Diana, Princess of Wales: August 31, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A lot of people need to realize this is nothing absolutely nothing to do with them. Once again it's her sons and what they want so the anti lot need to get over it.
If you want to argue about something there is a fellow in US that you could have a good go about

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I had decided to stay away from these threads, but I'll make an exception with this post, since this is an interesting topic.
An utter and complete waste of money. Money that could do so much more good if it were used for just about anything else.

Diana's legacy is so over-stated as to be laughable. I could name about 100 people more deserving of a statue than Diana. I despair, I really do.
I agree!

Diana was pretty controversial before her death (still is). She had turned a revered institution in to her own soap opera, she attacked her husband on television, she embarrassed the Queen, she treated her staff/nannies badly and was putting the future of her sons at risk etc. I'm not saying that Charles was innocent, but he didn't attack Diana on TV or in front of the kids.

When it comes to her charity work: She did nothing more for charity than the other members of the royal family did (rather less).
I think it took her several years to become patron of approximately 100 charities and she accepted many of them to boost her popularity during the 90s. She then (I think) dropped most of them.

And I don't think this person deserves a statue, but I do understand that this is something William and Harry wants to do for their mother.

Of course it's our business! William and Harry are going to have to cast around for the money, which will no doubt include giving face time to some less than desirable millionaires and billionaires. This leaves them open to all sorts of accusations, the kind that Charles regularly gets criticised for.

They're also going to put it in the gardens of KP which, last time I checked, is owned for all intents and purposes by the state. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that if it's not public money that ends up maintaining this statue then it'll be up to Historic Royal Palaces to do so. HRP is a charity that receives no state subsidy. It would be a real outrage if they had to use their precious funds, intended to maintain and protect our nation's heritage, on this statue.

I do wonder, who's going to do the unveiling? The Queen? Or just William and Harry? Would other members of the family be required to attend? It would look bad if they didn't. Will Charles be there? Will Camilla? This is going to be incredibly awkward and lead to criticism for the RF one way or the other.
Yet another reason why this statue is a bad idea.

Last edited:
Can anyone remember who paid for the enormous bronze statue of the Queen Mother which was unveiled by the Queen in Poundbury last year?

I think this announcement comes out as a lovely tribute from William and Harry. Diana was, before anything else, their mother. I was in a rush when I read the tweet, so I guess people complain for the cost? Will it affect the taxpayers?

Can anyone remember who paid for the enormous bronze statue of the Queen Mother which was unveiled by the Queen in Poundbury last year?

It doesn't matter who paid for it (I'd guess the Duchy of Cornwall or whatever entity develops Poundbury).

The reason it doesn't matter is that you simply cannot compare a statue of a Queen consort who played a huge part in the efforts of WWII when our nation's very existence was at stake, as part of an exemplary lifetime of public service, with a former royal who did some charity work.

Of course William and Harry love and miss their mother, like millions of people around the world whose parents have passed away. Those millions, however, don't erect statues of their parents at massive expense. What a statue will do that an enormous fountain, a huge pop concert and several charitable endeavours in her name can't do is beyond me.

It doesn't matter who paid for it (I'd guess the Duchy of Cornwall or whatever entity develops Poundbury).

The reason it doesn't matter is that you simply cannot compare a statue of a Queen consort who played a huge part in the efforts of WWII when our nation's very existence was at stake, as part of an exemplary lifetime of public service, with a former royal who did some charity work.

Of course William and Harry love and miss their mother, like millions of people around the world whose parents have passed away. Those millions, however, don't erect statues of their parents at massive expense. What a statue will do that an enormous fountain, a huge pop concert and several charitable endeavours in her name can't do is beyond me.

If the statue is being paid for with private funding, I don't see it as anyone else's business other than the royal family's.

The family can do what they want in private, but nobody needs a public Diana statue right now. Even more so as the family used to do everything to keep the hysteria down and make the public craving for the semi-goddess Diana go away (eg by burying her outside the public eye).
Why now a statue is beyond me, as old wounds/controversies will be opened up again.

^ Why now is obvious I think. It will be twenty years in August this year since Diana died in Paris. We had the concert on the 10th anniversary and this tribute comes on the twentieth. Judging by the public ranters in DM the reaction has not been good, and perhaps it may have been better on reflection to have endowed a children's cancer ward or a scholarship instead. However, it's done now, and I'm sure people will visit the statue.

For those who think a fund is more appropriate: the Diana Memorial Fund already exists :)

For those who think a fund is more appropriate: the Diana Memorial Fund already exists :)

Right, the royal foundation now owns it, but let's take it to new heights.

Anniversaries of Diana's Death

The Diana Memorial Fund got run into the ground with the suing of the Franklin Mint wasting millions on legal fees and then having to pay the Franklin Mint a large quantity of money. It basically exists in name only because they legally can't shut it down because it's a unincorporated trust.

The statue of the Queen Mother in Poundbury is an exact copy of the statue of the QM that's in London. It's there because the landlord of Poundbury (Charles) wanted it there not because the people who lived there want it there. Thirty years from now if George Duke of Cornwall wanted to replace it with a statue of his beloved first dog Lupo he can.

Last edited:
The answer has been deleted because the information is wrong

Last edited:
If you actually read the article the part quoted was referring to the original statue in London not the copy in Poundbury.

The family can do what they want in private, but nobody needs a public Diana statue right now. Even more so as the family used to do everything to keep the hysteria down and make the public craving for the semi-goddess Diana go away (eg by burying her outside the public eye).
Why now a statue is beyond me, as old wounds/controversies will be opened up again.
Right you are. Prince William, Prince Henry and those, who advise them, seem to fail to grasp it.

Right you are. Prince William, Prince Henry and those, who advise them, seem to fail to grasp it.

I think everyone else fails to grasp it's nothing to do with them. It's what William and Harry want

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

^ Why now is obvious I think. It will be twenty years in August this year since Diana died in Paris. We had the concert on the 10th anniversary and this tribute comes on the twentieth. Judging by the public ranters in DM the reaction has not been good, and perhaps it may have been better on reflection to have endowed a children's cancer ward or a scholarship instead. However, it's done now, and I'm sure people will visit the statue.

I'm wondering now if perhaps the Diana exhibit at Kensington Palace got this much criticism when that opened. Checking around, last November it was announced that a "style" exhibit in relation to Diana was in the works.

Its obvious her sons want to commemorate their mother by a statue and by putting it in the KP public gardens, its there for all those who want to see it. It also goes well with the public exhibit focusing on Diana which generates revenue for the Historical Royal Palaces organization.

Diana was indeed a marvellously elegant woman. Tall, slender, chic and beautiful. Still missed.

I couldnt agree more. Putting aside those early outfits which her mother helped her choose which had those awful collars, most of her clothes withstood the test of time to look as elegant today as they were then. I think that is because she seldom wore patterned clothes. The solid colors look great no matter when and provided a backdrop that really showcased her jewels.

Diana was indeed a marvellously elegant woman. Tall, slender, chic and beautiful. Still missed.

Totally soignée.

I still recall my daughter, then aged only 8, observing that "even when Princess Diana is wearing jeans and a cotton shirt, she still looks beautiful."

:flowers:

ABC has teamed with People magazine for a four-hour documentary marking the 20th anniversary of the tragic death of Britain's Princess Diana.

The untitled doc is set to air over two nights in August. ABC has yet to specify a premiere date.

Princess Diana died Aug. 31, 1997, at the age of 36 in a car crash in Paris. The documentary aims to introduce the Princess of Wales, mother of Prince William and Prince Harry, to a new generation and to examine her legacy.
Read more: Princess Diana documentary coming to ABC to mark 20th anniversary of her death - Daily Press

:previous: It would be great if the new documentary had some new information, perhaps interviews with people we haven't heard from before. I'm not sure how much interest there will actually be from the "new generation", but there's sure to be nostalgic interest from those who remember her.:flowers:

The best way to produce a documentary on Diana? Include her family and friends. Get her sons, sisters, brother and a host of trusted friends and you'll get the most accurate, insightful and exciting documentary ever.

When these docs involve a host of biographers and journalist, you'd end up with accounts based on their sources and angles. I think this is why there's so much unfounded rumors and accusations on Diana's life. 20 years of this stuff has done a lot of damage to her legacy and memory.

The best way to produce a documentary on Diana? Include her family and friends. Get her sons, sisters, brother and a host of trusted friends and you'll get the most accurate, insightful and exciting documentary ever.

When these docs involve a host of biographers and journalist, you'd end up with accounts based on their sources and angles. I think this is why there's so much unfounded rumors and accusations on Diana's life. 20 years of this stuff has done a lot of damage to her legacy and memory.
Her family and close friends don't want to talk about her to the press/tv I shsoudl think. THey feel that their relationsip with her was private and that she's been yapped about in the media for so long and should be allowed to rest in peace

Her family and close friends don't want to talk about her to the press/tv I shsoudl think. THey feel that their relationsip with her was private and that she's been yapped about in the media for so long and should be allowed to rest in peace

It would be the best documentary ever produced, because it's real family and friends sharing good memories.

Having only those who thought well of a person doing a documentary is far from going to give an accurate account. It would be a whitewash and thus biased to the extreme.

To get an accurate account of any person or any other aspect of history, you need supporters, opponents and those with no axe to grind one way or another.

Otherwise all you get is a one-sided account - which I know many people will regard as 'accurate' but as an historian I would regard it as totally inaccurate and biased - and thus largely unreliable and useless.

:previous: I agree. Otherwise, a better name for it would be a "Tribute to Diana, Princess of Wales."

Although I do think its a nice gesture to make a documentary commemorating the 20th anniversary of Diana's tragic death, I really don't see it drawing the interest of a lot of American people. Too much time has passed to draw the attention of people that most likely have long forgotten what happened that night in Paris or even know of Diana and her life outside of the War of the Waleses.

Perhaps four hours is a bit too much even over two consecutive nights. I'm not sure if I'm in the majority of American TV viewers but our weekly prime time viewing here is mostly directed to favorite shows we watch every week. I don't see me watching this documentary. Perhaps if it was on a cable channel that rebroadcasts their shows at different time periods, I would.

I hope I'm wrong on this and its just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom