The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-26-2015, 10:08 AM
Serene Highness

I think Letezia looked fine, she is not the other Queens and has he own style and taste. Letezia is no the one for grand dressing I leave that to Maxima. I also think that these visits are more about the king than Letizia so she dresses neatly not to draw attention to herself and away from the King.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

I really see no issue in the way that Queen Letizia dresses. I think she knows how to dress and how not dress during state visits. She's the Queen of Spain and Maxima is the Queen of the Netherlands. Two different countries, two different women.

We can complain all we want about how she dresses or doesn't, but it will always be her choice. Besides isn't Spain's economy still trying to make a recovery? So if Letizia were to start dressing like Maxima, the people would cry 'foul.'

Just my two cents.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:09 AM
Administrator

I totally understand that there is a difference between an official visist and state visit as well as the fact that everyone has their own personal style. I also understand that times change, so what might have been appropriate in 1990 is not appropriate in 2015. But I have always been of the opinion that Letizia doesn't really put that much effort in what she wears when she performs her royal duties. I've seen pics of her wearing pants and a twinset on a royal engagement, like she just picked up something random from her closet. And that is a perfectly legit outfit, in fact I wear it quite often at my insurance office. Do you get what I am saying..just like me. She isn't just like me. She is the Queen of Spain.

I personally am a grananimal child, so I like things to match. So for me [as petty as it seems] the random blazer and mis matched skirt is a no go and looks like she put no effort into this visit.But eveyone is not like me...and I recognize that. One of my besties, only buys clothes that will work with 3 other things in her closet. As evidenced by Queen Sofia, however, you can wear a nice suit without a hat and looked like you actually cared about what you looked like before you show up at an important event.

No one is asking Letizia to be like Maxima and Mary [who I personally think generally look fabulous when they represent their respective countries when traveling even when they try to push the envelope] but I don't think its too much to ask Letizia to look professional when representing Spain. It is totally possible to look professional without spending thousands of dollars on a suit or a dress. And dressing professional or appropriate for an event, even if you don't go all out like Maxima will not overshadow the King. Honestly I think not putting any effort into her appearance draws more attention than the other way around.

So I gotta agree with Duc on this one...if you didn't know Letizia was the Queen, you could honestly think she was one of the aides traveling with the royal couple and not the 2nd most important person on the trip [i.e. the King being the most important one].

Despite what many think, not all women are into clothes, and maybe Letizia is one of them. And personally its a shame because when she is ON she is simply breathtaking.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:54 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Ouch! I would admit that Queen Letizia's wardrobe for the State Visit to France was definitely lacking both style and elegance which, when you consider the French and Fashion, is pretty noticeable.

I guess it only bothers me on the level that Letizia has plenty in her wardrobe to be perfectly presented, with or without a hat. She has done it many, many times, but for the State Visit to France she chose not to exert herself.
I have to agree with you. I just did not get the sense that this ensemble was suitable. Completely appropriate for a normal engagement, but just not special enough for a state visit.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Was there a published dress code? Did she breach that published dress code? If not then it was acceptable.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

I always find it helpful sometimes to recalibrate ones expectations and reactions to what a royal is wearing and when they are wearing depending on who they are and what we are used to seeing them wear - not to mention what their personal tastes are (as opposed to my own personal tastes and expectations).
It is difficult to make a direct comparison between say Queen Maxima and Queen Letitia or the BRF and the DRF because we should, by now, already know what to expect from them when they go out.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Was there a published dress code? Did she breach that published dress code? If not then it was acceptable.
Exactly.

Nobody's forced to like what she's wearing (in fact I don't like the Paris outfit per se), but saying she's looking inappropriate is IMO going too far and unfair to Letizia.

She was perfectly dressed for the event according to protocol and dress code. Liking or disliking her outfit, expecting a hat or jewells is up to you, but she wasn't underdressed by any account.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:02 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
No, I am not aware of any published dress code, and I am certainly not suggesting that she broke any dress code.

My point was that I did not think the outfit was special enough for a state visit. It was certainly appropriate for a regular engagement.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:18 AM
Majesty

As did I.

I was greatly disappointed in what Queen Letizia wore because she has beautiful clothes in her wardrobe and because I know, I have seen them, been impressed by her, all virtue of the wonders of technology.

So too have the people of the host countries. That people believe they will see Queen Letizia looking impressive on a State Visit is not an unreasonable expectation under the circumstances.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:34 AM
Majesty

It is just how you expect a Queen of -in my eyes- the grandest kingdom in Europe to appear. It is remarkable that ladies from the Dutch, British, Danish, Swedish or Norwegian Court (Ladies-in-Waiting and such) look better dressed than Her Majesty The Queen of Spain.

The economic argument does not hold. The single cost of "just" using one of the planes of the Ejército del Aire 45 Group —that uses Airbus A310s and five Falcon 900Bs to transport the Spanish King— already is enough for a whole year of new clothes for the Queen of Spain. Really, the costs of a new frock and a proper hat are nuts compared to the costs of transportation, security, accomoation and diplomatic support...

An example: here you see Queen Silvia of Sweden visiting The Hague. You can already count six (!) ladies with hats in her slipstream. This would mean that Her Majesty The Queen of Glorious Spain is already upstaged by 7 better dressed ladies, based on this picture alone.... (The Queen was following an own "ladies program" in the framework of a State Visit, mind you how many ladies with hats there were when she "merged" back with her hostess Queen Beatrix and her ladies?)...
Old 04-06-2015, 05:11 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Not everybody dressed with a hat is automatically better dressed as people without hats. Something we can see on Prinsjesdag in the Netherlands on an annual basis.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Not everybody dressed with a hat is automatically better dressed as people without hats. omething we can see on Prinsjesdag in the Netherlands on an annual basis.

imo very true, but I think not everyone in this thread agrees with that, and does hold to the statement "hat is better than no hat"
Old 04-06-2015, 05:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Not everybody dressed with a hat is automatically better dressed as people without hats. omething we can see on Prinsjesdag in the Netherlands on an annual basis.
Of course, we have even seen yesterday (Easter Service in Windsor) that some "hats" are really eeeerhhhmmm... But is that the hat's fault or is it the lady who does not know how to dress properly? Not all ladies look good in diadems or in long gowns either. Scrap it all, then? All dresscodes overboard?

In my view they understood it. I expected Her Majesty The Queen of Spain to arrive at the Palace de l'Élysée dressed like a royal lady indeed. A bit more self-assured, not so drab, not so easily mistaken for an office clerk. Come on, show them you are La Reina de España !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post

imo very true, but I think not everyone in this thread agrees with that, and does hold to the statement "hat is better than no hat"
Taste is in the eye of the beholder. Every outfit is open for discussion. Name them all: Victoria, Máxima, Catherine, Mathilde, Mette-Marit, Camilla, all of them have worn (or will wear) hits or misses. At least there is no confusion possible: they show what they are, they represent their House with verve and brio. I only hope Letizia will break out of the framework "I should dress as if I am still a newsreader". That is all. No more, no less.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:58 AM
Majesty

No, no, where there are hats there are nasty, evil little goblins who, with malice aforethought, lead our ladies astray, persuading them most grievously that a truly horrendous example such as that shown is indeed a millinery masterpiece when in fact it tops the list of crimes against millinery magnificence!
Old 04-06-2015, 07:04 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Of course, we have even seen yesterday (Easter Service in Windsor) that some "hats" are really eeeerhhhmmm... But is that the hat's fault or is it the lady who does not know how to dress properly? Not all ladies look good in diadems or in long gowns either. Scrap it all, then? All dresscodes overboard?

In my view they understood it. I expected Her Majesty The Queen of Spain to arrive at the Palace de l'Élysée dressed like a royal lady indeed. A bit more self-assured, not so drab, not so easily mistaken for an office clerk. Come on, show them you are La Reina de España !

I don't want to force anybody to stop wearing anything, neither do I want to force anybody to wear hats when they do not seem particulary keen on it.

It is possible to look very put together without a hat, as the Queen of Spain has shown on multiple occassions -as did her mother-in-law and many others. For example here or here .

You are making a parody of Queen Letizia's style. Even though the outfit in Paris may have been underwhelming to some, she looked proper and certainly not like the assistant.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Infantas Elena and Pilar of Spain wearing the Mantilla with peineta.

http://www.revistanaval.com/imaxes/l...a_f102_01a.jpg

http://estaticos2.ileon.com/resource...DSC03237dn.jpg
Old 11-23-2015, 07:59 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Not everybody dressed with a hat is automatically better dressed as people without hats. Something we can see on Prinsjesdag in the Netherlands on an annual basis.
Besides, as discussed before on TRF, hats are not that common in Spain. No one is more regal than Queen Sofia (based on her ancestry, I mean) and she rarely wears hats.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I hope that this tradition does not end in Spain. On the rare occasions that the ladies wear this traditional dress, it is very impressive.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I hope that this tradition does not end in Spain. On the rare occasions that the ladies wear this traditional dress, it is very impressive.
I think traditional dress is wonderful from all countries. I enjoy seeing on their special country's events.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
The tradition of the ladies in the Royal Family dressing like this might be a thing of the past.