The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
The Duchess looked like a dream in that dress. The train was shorter than I thought it would be, but I was by no means disappointed in it. It continued her theme of wearing classic, refined clothes and I knew she wasn't going to wear some upside-down cupcake monstrosity.

The Duchess. We get to call her that now. *squee*
I totally agree. The wedding dress had written "This is who I am/This is me" over it. Splendid choice.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Disappointed given the opportunities. The makeup is horrific, too much and severe, no doubt Kate has caked it on herself.
Kate looked old and tired, some colleagues of mine at work were wondering why William chose a much older woman
The dress is not bad but the bust doesnt look well tailored, the hair, well, what could have been! The tiara didnt look professionally fixed either.
The veil looked really cheap and the train was too short.
http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/in...9_RTR2LR83.jpg

Old 04-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

I guess she just can't do anything right.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Serene Highness

All that matters is that this was what she and William wanted and how they planned it to look and it made them and their family's happy.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Royal Highness

Stars such as flashed. Noble, simple, elegant and sympathetic to a royal bride. Bouquet could be a little more beautiful.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Yes I think that what's most important for any bride is that she feel happy and comfortable with what she's wearing, including her makeup. I can see why some people would feel that it looks caked on in close-up shots but if that's what Catherine wanted then that's all that matters. Although I don't see why one can't get help from a professional makeup artist and still get the look they want.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Courtier

Okay, I guess this is what happens when you write to long thread; people quote your older posts ignoring newer ones on the same issue. I know I said earlier that Catherine seemed perhaps slightly sad but I've had time to think about it and I think she is probably just a shy person. The couple might have at times also remembered William's mother which might have made them a little pensive. Nothing wrong there, they were both smiling and quite adorable at the balcony IMO.

Someone here said on page 6 that they were dismayed about all the criticism towards Catherine's dress etc. I haven't seen much criticism at all and certainly no-one has said the dress was bad. I admit it is not something I would like but it is not my dress. As long as she likes it, it is the perfect dress. And it did suit her well and she was beautiful and regal looking.

So I guess everyone's happy?
Old 04-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I guess she just can't do anything right.
Well, at least she did right with you and me .

I have nothing to complain, I have a great wedding to look back at.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Loved loved loved it!
Old 04-29-2011, 02:27 PM
Nobility

This was her choice.
This is what THEY wanted.

So her makeup was dramatic. better her makeup then her personality and NO DRAMA!!!
Old 04-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Courtier

Beautiful pictures. The Duchess looks glowing in these:

Royal Wedding 2011: Kate Middleton marries Prince William in dress designed by McQueen's Sarah Burton | Mail Online

I blame the broadcast quality; I didn't see it in HD!
Old 04-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

She looked beautiful, and this dress was very much her style. I admit I was a little disappointed. I was expecting a little more....I don't know! Seemed like something was lacking. Having said that, she really did glow and looked so happy. And William did too! She is a beautiful young woman, and I wish them both every happiness.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdxyz View Post
Has anyone mentioned Catherine's puny little bouquet, yet? I really thought they could have done more with that. It didn't have to be BIG, but it could have had some larger flowers in it, and/or some color. Wondering why she made that choice?
Please could I supplement this with a bit of information?; for Royal Weddings [and indeed many other traditional formal British Weddings], bouquets are meant to be predominantly white, sometimes with a tiny bit of gold, and of course some folliage is permissable.

I liked the dress very much with two very minor reservations, whch I hope that I may be respectfully be allowed to note: I think that the deep V neck was just a shade lower than it should have been for a very formal Westiminster Abbey Royal Wedding, and I also think that she needed another layer of material around the bodice; looking at some of the photos on the web, you can see just a little too much of the outline of what I will discreetly call 'her figure'.

Otherwise, it was a good dress - and at least it did not crease, unlike Diana's!

Alex
Old 04-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post

I totally agree. The wedding dress had written "This is who I am/This is me" over it. Splendid choice.
I agree with both of you. I said in the musings thread that I might not like Catherine's choice of gown, but that I was sure it would be elegant and in good taste. I am delighted to say that not only did it have the aforementioned attributes, but that I was personally very taken with it as well!

She has good taste!!!

rawsilk
Old 04-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Aristocracy

The Duchess looked every bit like the future Queen that she is! Perhaps the haters are looking too critically at some of the individual aspects of the look... I think the overall look was VERY Royal and my boyfriend and I both said "Wow!" when she was getting out of the car, the wind blowing with that stunning veil, and the nod to Grace Kelly... Just amazing...
Old 04-29-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
Please could I supplement this with a bit of information?; for Royal Weddings [and indeed many other traditional formal British Weddings], bouquets are meant to be predominantly white, sometimes with a tiny bit of gold, and of course some folliage is permissable.

I liked the dress very much with two very minor reservations, whch I hope that I may be respectfully be allowed to note: I think that the deep V neck was just a shade lower than it should have been for a very formal Westiminster Abbey Royal Wedding, and I also think that she needed another layer of material around the bodice; looking at some of the photos on the web, you can see just a little too much of the outline of what I will discreetly call 'her figure'.

Otherwise, it was a good dress - and at least it did not crease, unlike Diana's!

Alex
Your point was the first thing I noticed - what I initially took for a poorly done bodice. However, on my tv, and in closer up pictures, I saw it was a lace pattern to resemble rosettes, not anything from the human anatomy. Probably not the best idea to have lace rosettes "right there", I agree. Otherwise, I thought she looked simply fabulous.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Catherine's bouquet was designed to have a lot of meaning:

Quote:
The bride chose her flowers for their significance to the Royal Family, the Middletons and the language of flowers.
Sweet William means gallantry, lily-of-the-valley means return of happiness, hyacinth symbolises constancy of love, while myrtle is the emblem of marriage and love.
There is also ivy for fidelity; marriage; wedded love; friendship and affection.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Catherine's bouquet was designed to have a lot of meaning:
Someone said a lot of thought went into this wedding and I think it shows. It was exactly what they wanted as they wanted. And the more I see the Duchess's (I love that!!!) wedding gown, the more I love it. My mom said she want's her next wedding gown to look just like that!!!
Old 04-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Serene Highness

The understated simplicity of the dress, the tiara and the bouquet are all in keeping with the young couple's values. They do not want elaborate, elevated, over-the-top, haute couture, which obviously some onlookers did fantasize about and did want.

It was said that Catherine was very aware of the economic times, and how it would look if she went for some sort of world record bouquet or even a huge bouquet. How odd it would have looked had she worn something avant-garde after years of wearing her own simple, tailored style. She was in keeping with what her family wore, she was herself. Bringing her own true self to the altar to marry was the most important thing she could have done on this day.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it's good to think beyond the surface of the clothes into what is actually going on, worldwide and in England, and in that Abbey. The service was dignified, somewhat austere - and the living trees instead of cut flowers signal a change in the way even Royals are looking at resources.

Every single person there could be critiqued on some aspect of what they wore (Prince William could have worn a different uniform and the Queen didn't have to wear primrose, etc., etc.) but the overall effect was of a unified and modest Royal Family, rather than a bunch of nouveau riche millionaires throwing their money at the world. The service itself was lovely, the reading was well-chosen, the music was wondrous, and the young couple took it all very seriously.

England should be proud of its young Royals, and particularly of the new Duchess of Cambridge, whose intelligence, discernment, inner confidence and regal bearing won the day. That's what it was about, for me, the total effect. Of course, I was in favor of that dress style (couldn't have hoped for more in the detailing of the back of the dress, it was perfectly proportionate to the Abbey, especially when she was kneeling) and the fact that some people think it looked like it could have been in a "country church" is exactly what Kate was going for - hence the trees.

She wanted a wedding that suited her. I am so proud of her for choosing the right white, the delicate but not overwrought lace, the simple sleeves, the neckline that suits her best, the veil that did not overwhelm. She looked so much more beautiful than anyone else there (including Pippa, who was darling).

And lastly, I was so glad there were no blue bridesmaid's dresses, and that she had the simple cream and white theme (with those little page's uniforms echoing those of the Prince of C and the Prince of E).

Bravo, Kate - your dress is anything but forgettable, and you will look back on this day with pride throughout your life, as your look was timeless, elegant and regal, just as it was supposed to be.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
The understated simplicity of the dress, the tiara and the bouquet are all in keeping with the young couple's values. They do not want elaborate, elevated, over-the-top, haute couture, which obviously some onlookers did fantasize about and did want.

It was said that Catherine was very aware of the economic times, and how it would look if she went for some sort of world record bouquet or even a huge bouquet. How odd it would have looked had she worn something avant-garde after years of wearing her own simple, tailored style. She was in keeping with what her family wore, she was herself. Bringing her own true self to the altar to marry was the most important thing she could have done on this day.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it's good to think beyond the surface of the clothes into what is actually going on, worldwide and in England, and in that Abbey. The service was dignified, somewhat austere - and the living trees instead of cut flowers signal a change in the way even Royals are looking at resources.

Every single person there could be critiqued on some aspect of what they wore (Prince William could have worn a different uniform and the Queen didn't have to wear primrose, etc., etc.) but the overall effect was of a unified and modest Royal Family, rather than a bunch of nouveau riche millionaires throwing their money at the world. The service itself was lovely, the reading was well-chosen, the music was wondrous, and the young couple took it all very seriously.

England should be proud of its young Royals, and particularly of the new Duchess of Cambridge, whose intelligence, discernment, inner confidence and regal bearing won the day. That's what it was about, for me, the total effect. Of course, I was in favor of that dress style (couldn't have hoped for more in the detailing of the back of the dress, it was perfectly proportionate to the Abbey, especially when she was kneeling) and the fact that some people think it looked like it could have been in a "country church" is exactly what Kate was going for - hence the trees.

She wanted a wedding that suited her. I am so proud of her for choosing the right white, the delicate but not overwrought lace, the simple sleeves, the neckline that suits her best, the veil that did not overwhelm. She looked so much more beautiful than anyone else there (including Pippa, who was darling).

And lastly, I was so glad there were no blue bridesmaid's dresses, and that she had the simple cream and white theme (with those little page's uniforms echoing those of the Prince of C and the Prince of E).

Bravo, Kate - your dress is anything but forgettable, and you will look back on this day with pride throughout your life, as your look was timeless, elegant and regal, just as it was supposed to be.

I totally agree with you wonderfully stated.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding