The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-28-2011, 12:36 AM
Nobility

20,000 GBP = $32,672.23 on todays exchange rate.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Courtier

I read some where that the 40 thousand pounds for the dress was around 75,000.00 US Dollars. Not sure if that is true...

Old 07-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but Hello! magazine has an excellent article about the exhibition of the wedding dress etc and there is a short film at teh exhibition showing designer, Sarah Burton, explaining how the dress was created. To summarize:
With regard to the Veil, Catherine wanted a very romantic effect, but did not want to detract from the bottom of the dress. The veil echoed the arches at the back of the dress.
The skirt being made from silk gazar meant it was lighter and did not feel over-powering or heavy. Inside the dress, bustles were created out of circles of organza (like and oyster effect) which is an old Victoriam technique. Catherine did not want the dress to "collapse" or crumple while she walked up the aisle and wanted to maintain the symmetrical shape without using too many underskirts. Weighted canvas was therefore used at the bottom of the skirt and double canvassing in the middle of the skirt so that when the skirt was lifted it would fall back exactly in the same position. The train also used weighted panels.
Overall, the effect is that the dress has the essence of the Victorian, whilst using light fabrics and pleating to give it a modern feel.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm sure all this specialized attention to detail, intricate needlework and that it is a couture gown is what makes it so costly.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Heir Apparent

As of this moment, the GBP40,000.00 exchange rate equals US$65,477.65. Not an exhorbitant price for all the bespoke components and all that handwork.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Aristocracy

I'm sure it'll generate more than that with this exhibition this summer which will go right back to the British people right?
Old 07-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Actually, the revenue generated from this exhibition will go toward repairs and refurbishment of Buck Palace, from what I've read.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Aristocracy

Oh, hahahaha! That's still less money the taxpayers have to give to the royal family though!
Old 07-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Heir Apparent

True - hopefully the British won't have to put their hands so deeply in their pockets if this exhibition is successful!
Old 07-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Kate Middleton wedding dress recreated using 5,000 balloons | Mail Online
Old 07-31-2011, 03:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but Hello! magazine has an excellent article about the exhibition of the wedding dress etc and there is a short film at teh exhibition showing designer, Sarah Burton, explaining how the dress was created. To summarize:
With regard to the Veil, Catherine wanted a very romantic effect, but did not want to detract from the bottom of the dress. The veil echoed the arches at the back of the dress.
The skirt being made from silk gazar meant it was lighter and did not feel over-powering or heavy. Inside the dress, bustles were created out of circles of organza (like and oyster effect) which is an old Victoriam technique. Catherine did not want the dress to "collapse" or crumple while she walked up the aisle and wanted to maintain the symmetrical shape without using too many underskirts. Weighted canvas was therefore used at the bottom of the skirt and double canvassing in the middle of the skirt so that when the skirt was lifted it would fall back exactly in the same position. The train also used weighted panels.
Overall, the effect is that the dress has the essence of the Victorian, whilst using light fabrics and pleating to give it a modern feel.
It's like a architectural project! with a beautiful final result! How some say they have seen dresses like this is village's weddings makes me wonder...
btw, Which Hello is this one? who is on the cover. I would like to buy it
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
It's like a architectural project! with a beautiful final result! How some say they have seen dresses like this is village's weddings makes me wonder...
I think Jacknch means the Hello! web site.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

It's the 1st August edition of the magazine (number 1185) - I think you can order a back copy from Hello! on-line or there are various on-line websites who sell back issues of most published magazines.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
Although not made of balloons, Alice's wedding gown in "The Vicar of Dibley" was an architectural wonder.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

The price of the gown when you think about it and other designers is reasonable. Vera Wang custom made gowns are about the same price, so is Oscar de la Renta and Carolina Herrera.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
The price of the gown when you think about it and other designers is reasonable. Vera Wang custom made gowns are about the same price, so is Oscar de la Renta and Carolina Herrera.
Actually when thinking of the Duchess of Cambridge's wedding dress now, I would be willing to bet that if we add the historical value to the original cost of the dress, it would be safe to assume that the dress is now priceless as it will be added as part of British Royal History along with Queen Elizabeth II's wedding attire and whatever other similar items remain from various British monarchs.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Nobility

A friend of mine has been lucky enough to go to London and see the dress. She says that because of the distance between the dress and the barrier, it is not possible to see all the wonderful work that went into making it. A great dissapointment to her as that was her main reason for wanting to see the dress. It was also very busy, as one would expect.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Gentry

I suspect the dress, including consultations, was closer to £250,000 after all. It's not unusual for couture pieces to cost £100,000+. Especially considering the craftsmanship and detail..
Old 08-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Nobility

I love Catherine's wedding dress. (Actually it is surprisingly similar to my gown.)

However, I would have preferred it were it not the gown of a royal bride. I was disappointed with the lack of originality and wow factor – all of the other gowns of 'significant' royal brides are distinctly their own. So although I love the dress it is not a favourite - if that makes sense!

However, as I mentioned in another thread, perhaps Catherine grew up dreaming of a Grace Kelly inspired wedding dress...then when her actual wedding came around and she married a prince...all the more reason for her to have worn her dream dress!

I, too, would love to know how much it cost - not to complain but out of curiosity! I would also like to know more about the design and tailoring process as what made this dress was really its seamless execution. Many royal wedding dresses looks lovely on paper but do not work in real life. Catherine is reported to have wanted a dress that did not collapse, and it certainly succeed!

Sadly, I was not impressed with her makeup or hair or veil. The makeup was too heavy. The hair was all wrong. The veil was flat and did not look to be made from an attractive fabric. I prefer longer veils, however with the lace work on the train the length really did suit the dress.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:43 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

A tale of two dresses: Kate's wedding gown raises £8m on display at Buckingham Palace while Diana's outfit is carted around the globe | Mail Online

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding