The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-04-2007, 04:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larlincol7
Is not the original coat of arms of France, the Lys de France held by angels supporting the crown of France the MOST BEAUTIFUL coat of arms in the world?
Here's an old (19th century?) version:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	France Royal Standard.gif
Views:	179
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	260094  

Old 04-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Commoner

Thank You

Thank You for posting the photo of the lilies of France. I noticed the beautiful British Royal Coat of Arms pictured above. Britain was lucky to have held on to such a magnificent heritage!

Old 04-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxeundGotha
Does anyone know of the existence of any regalia besides the crown in the Gallery of Apolo in the Louvre and the Coronation mantle of the king at the museum in Chartes in existence?
I know there is a crown worn by the Dauphin in the coronation of his father (Charles X) in existence - I have pictures also.
Any light?
There is Charles V's sword in the Louvre and Charles X's regalia are in the Chancellerie (Minister of Justice palace), place Vendôme. I saw both.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Commoner

a beautiful design of french royal arms :
Héraldique européenne - European heraldry - Free coats - Free pictures
- on the left list click on "Armoriaux", then "Saint Esprit"
- on the Saint-Esprit page , click on "Armorial" : you will see King Henri the IIIrd arms.

If you like french coat of arms, you may have a look here :
Armorial des Capétiens - Wikipédia
Old 05-27-2007, 09:49 AM

nuts and bolts of Versailles

Hello everyone.

I'm trying to do some research for a story I'm writing. I've been looking for specifics about Versailles in the time of Louis XVI. I'm talking things such as: where would courtiers (but not necessarily duchesses and princes/princesses of the blood) live? How many rooms would they occupy? When/where would these people eat? How many servants would someone with lower rank at court be allowed? Et cetera ad infinitum. Maybe there is a good book that can help out with the daily life of Versailles?

And one thing I am having trouble finding is a floorplan of Versailles. I'd just like a general idea of what was where, but I can't find it online! Maybe I'm just inept.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Heir Apparent

If you are writing a story for professional purposes why haven't you tried the Royal Archives at Versailles? Click here to access the site. Once there scroll down until you see this:

Quote:
Les Archives communales de Versailles
Direction de la Culture
Grande Ecurie, 1 avenue de Paris - RP1144
78011 Versailles Cedex

Tél. : 01 39 20 67 90
Fax : 01 39 20 67 95
You know have a contact number and so forth to help you advance your research.

If you don't speak French there is an English page. You might want to contact the head archivist. Perhaps he could help you with your research. They do speak English so you won't have a problem.

Second, you might want to check out JSTOR. This is the place for scholars, professional historians, researchers, graduate, and undergraduate students who are looking for specific journals, articles, primary and secondary sources, etc. I've used JSTOR for my thesis and other writings as well.

Finally, try Archive.org for more detailed information.

If you need more help let us know.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Last Coronation

The Last Coronation

Charles X was crowned King on May 29th,1825 amid much Bourbon pomp & Majesty at Reims Cathedral .

However it was the last ever French Coronation & Charles X was forced to abdicate in 1830.

The Coronation of Charles X

http://fr.academic.ru/pictures/frwiki/54/6coronat.jpg

The Royal Entry of Charles X into Paris

http://www.histoire-image.org/photo/...jeune_001f.jpg
Old 02-10-2011, 12:01 AM
Serene Highness

There is royal regalia (I don't remember whose right at this moment) in the little museum room at St Denis, as well.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:41 PM

How completely fascinating! I love to learn about the details of court life. Court etiquette is mystifying but at the same time there is something lovely about the ritual nature of this dance that continually revolved around the king.

About the hygiene issue, surely it is a myth that Louis XIV never bathed, and he did have those bathrooms constructed. I wonder how these myths get started. On the other hand there was the toilet issue. I recently saw the BBC documentary Filthy Cities in which the lack of these facilities in Versailles was discussed. Here are some details I found puzzling:

-Ladies wore gowns trimmed with brown fabric because dark hemlines did not show the filth that inevitably stuck to them from the floors. This is possibly in the 18th century when the palace was no longer maintained so well (from another source I have learned that many of the hundreds of windows in the palace were broken and never replaced).

-Livestock could be seen sauntering inside the palace and defecating onto the floors. In the documentary this information is accompanied by images of pigs roaming freely in the Hall of Mirrors. I knew the palace was open to visitors but I never imagined it was that open!

-Emptying chamber pots through the windows was banned but no-one paid attention to that rule. Human ordure showered from the windows of the palace directly onto the courtyards, and anyone unfortunate to be standing there. Instead of protesting this despicable state of affairs, courtiers protected themselves with leather umbrellas!

-Foreign visitors wrote in their memoirs that as they approached the palace they were stunned by its magnificence but once inside the premises were dismayed by a different sensation, the stench of excrement that hung in all the rooms and stuck to their clothes and wigs.

I have to say that I find some of this information unbelievable, although I am not denying its accuracy. I was astonished especially by the idea of farmyard scenes inside the grand halls of the palace.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

my aunt use to tell me, that when she was little her grandmother use to live in france and she was a little girl when she use to go to work with her mother (my aunt's greatgrandmother)she was a hairdresser for the rich, and it was a terrible smell comming out of their wigs and heair updoos, that they used to keep for months with no wash, that smell was so bad that she used to feel sick and she never forgot , my aunt is in the lates 70s so i think this happen in the middleof the 18 century? so everything Master Ambrose said about the palace, i belive it was true, not a nice view but it was the true!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:46 PM

Catherine of Russia

I'm attempting to find some information about the royal court etiquette of the Russian Tsars (in particular Empress Elizabeth and her neice Catherine the Great). So far all I've found is that the official language of the Royal Court was French. Any other information would be most appreciated.