Fashion for the little royals Part 7: January 2015 - July 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought George was under dressed.

Everyone else was formally dressed and he was in shorts. Everyone else had long sleeves and he was in short sleeves.

I know the British keep their boys in shorts even during the winter but a less frilly top would have looked better IMO. If it was a white or beige long sleeve shirt or even a pink shirt it would have looked formal. I did not like the red shorts.

I think his Trooping the Colour outfit would have looked better at the christening.

Or a pale blue shorts and a white or cream shirt.

Or the outfit he wore at the polo field.

All looked better than the red outfit with the frilly top and black shoes

Last edited:
I think boys stopped wearing dresses in the 1920s/early 1930s. My aunt has a photo of my grandfather where he is of a similar age to George in the mid-twenties, and he is wearing a dress. His family weren't upper class though I would class them as upper working class so I don't think that dresses were just for wealthy little boys. Blue also used to be for girls in Victorian times, because it was considered a softer colour; and pink was for boys, because it was considered a regal colour (and in medieval and Tudor times, the only people who were allowed to wear pink was the royal family). It's funny how things have changed, but I think colours are getting more gender-neutral now.

I don't know why, but I really like little boys dressed with old styled clothes, however, I absolutely dislike girls with old-fashioned clothes.

I'm not pointing out for the clothing style the celebrity kids wear which is sometimes silly. But little girls have dresses fashionable that don't look hideous, but "clean" and appropriate, for example, some clothes and style that Princess Elisabeth of Belgium and her brothers and sister wore, or also Princess Leonor and Infanta Sofia clothes. I still remenber those baby and toddler clothes Leonor and Sofia wore when they were younger and I love them so much. I hope for Charlotte, Catherine has a similar style.

I'm the opposite because I prefer old fashioned clothes on girls rather than boys, but for girls I only like them when they're worn at the appropriate age.

I also like the clothing of the Belgian and Spanish Royal children. For me, along with Princess Estelle, they are the best dressed of the royal children. The Danish royal children also wear nice things.

I have no issue with what George is wearing as it fits in with the Windsor way of dressing their children - traditional and conservative. My only issue is the fact that it was most likely chosen because of it's likeness to William's outfit from 1984. I am glad he wore this than a suit though as I don't like seeing toddlers in suits.

The Windsor boys have been dressed traditionally for decades, just like the Windsor girls with white tights, long dresses and collars.

Peter Phillips in white shirt and shorts - very similar to George's shorts and white shirt look.

Peter Phillips in trimmed shirt again

William and Harry both wore similar shirts and James when he is seen for important family occasions is dressed conservatively, just like Zara, Beatrice, Eugenie and Louise were/are. It's just the Windsor thing.

I do find it jarring and kind of odd when a little Royal girl or young lady is dressed in a darling conservative frock... That happens to be really almost skimpily short or way tight. Dressing conservatively is pointless when it looks 2 sizes two small :) I can't see Catherine doing that to Charlotte FWIW.

I have no issue with what George is wearing as it fits in with the Windsor way of dressing their children - traditional and conservative. My only issue is the fact that it was most likely chosen because of it's likeness to William's outfit from 1984. I am glad he wore this than a suit though as I don't like seeing toddlers in suits.

The Windsor boys have been dressed traditionally for decades, just like the Windsor girls with white tights, long dresses and collars.

Peter Phillips in white shirt and shorts - very similar to George's shorts and white shirt look.

William and Harry both wore similar shirts and James when he is seen for important family occasions is dressed conservatively, just like Zara, Beatrice, Eugenie and Louise were/are. It's just the Windsor thing.

In the first photo Peter's shirt is long sleeves and not frilly.

Unfortunately I cannot view the 2nd photo.

I thought George was under dressed.

Everyone else was formally dressed and he was in shorts. Everyone else had long sleeves and he was in short sleeves.

I know the British keep their boys in shorts even during the winter but a less frilly top would have looked better IMO. If it was a white or beige long sleeve shirt or even a pink shirt it would have looked formal. I did not like the red shorts.

I think his Trooping the Colour outfit would have looked better at the christening.

Or a pale blue shorts and a white or cream shirt.

I didn't really enjoy the red (I've gotten so used to seeing George in blue, and it really suits him). As for the shorts yes, as you mentioned, it's traditional for small boys to wear dress shorts (in Britain and elsewhere). So, the shorts and the shirt seemed entirely appropriate to me. Also, while it wasn't a necessary feature, the frilly bit of the shirt is part of what makes it a more formal, appropriate choice, IMO.

I think boys stopped wearing dresses in the 1920s/early 1930s. My aunt has a photo of my grandfather where he is of a similar age to George in the mid-twenties, and he is wearing a dress. His family weren't upper class though I would class them as upper working class so I don't think that dresses were just for wealthy little boys. Blue also used to be for girls in Victorian times, because it was considered a softer colour; and pink was for boys, because it was considered a regal colour (and in medieval and Tudor times, the only people who were allowed to wear pink was the royal family). It's funny how things have changed, but I think colours are getting more gender-neutral now.

I was about to mention something similar - I have a picture of my grandfather as a toddler, and it was taken in the late teens/early 1920s. And he came from a middle/upper-middle class family (am not exactly sure how they would've been classified; my grandparents never went into much detail about that kind of thing), so I think it was just the norm.

To be honest, George's outfit looks a lot more comfortable/easier to move in than a lot of the children's clothes I've purchased.

It may look silly or old-fashioned to some, but smocked outfits are definitely a current thing. I recently went shopping for my son and I saw quite a few smocked outfits in the store (for boys and girls). There are also a ton of websites that sell smocked clothes, so there is a market for them.

I think they dress George fine. It's not like they don't ever let him wear superman t-shirts or crocs. We can see from casual outings, that he does wear those type of clothes.

Last edited:

:flowers: Thank you for the lovely photo of Peter and Zara. I'd forgotten how blonde Peter was as a child. Yes, the Windsors do have a certain look for their young tots and we've seen everyone from Charles to George and Anne to Louise in very similar looking outfits. As Charlotte grows we'll likely see her in similar girls wear. While we don't often see Savanna, Isla and Mia in public unless it's at casual events, I wouldn't be surprised if we were to find traditional, smocked dresses in their wardrobes as well for dressier occasions ie: Christmas lunch at BP.

I wonder if that is a young Earl of Ulster standing next to Peter and in front of Anne?

It is Alexander, Earl of Ulster who is also wearing a similar styled shirt to Peter.

I'm the opposite because I prefer old fashioned clothes on girls rather than boys, but for girls I only like them when they're worn at the appropriate age.

I also like the clothing of the Belgian and Spanish Royal children. For me, along with Princess Estelle, they are the best dressed of the royal children. The Danish royal children also wear nice things.
Yes, I also like Princess Estelle clothing. As for the Danish, Princess Isabella had quite silly and hideous clothes when she was younger, but since the birth of the twins, her style as improved 100%. I love all the clothes she wears lately.

As for Charlotte, I am already picturing her in my mind with these kind of clothes baby/toddler Leonor wore. They are so lovely!!!:flowers:
http://oi46.tinypic.com/344fd5s.jpg
http://oi46.tinypic.com/34t62qt.jpg
http://oi48.tinypic.com/14ilvlu.jpg
I hope Catherine has fun dressing her baby girl, girls have more variety of clothes;)

Last edited:
Yes, I also like Princess Estelle clothing. As for the Danish, Princess Isabella had quite silly and hideous clothes when she was younger, but since the birth of the twins, her style as improved 100%. I love all the clothes she wears lately.

As for Charlotte, I am already picturing her in my mind with these kind of clothes baby/toddler Leonor wore. They are so lovely!!!:flowers:
I hope Catherine has fun dressing her baby girl, girls have more variety of clothes;)

I think that Leonor was dressed much more trendily than Catherine will dress Charlotte (at least for public or official events). I think that with Charlotte we will see lots of classic dresses, knee socks, tights, and Mary Janes.

Well she can borrow Louise's... If she is not still wearing them by then ;)

I’ve said before the way George (or any child in the BRF) is dressed is just not my thing. You could transport him to the ’50 and he wouldn’t stand out. There are plenty of ways to dress a child that’s semi-formal (a little less formal than a suit and tie) that’s not this old-fashioned but more modern.
Bonpoint comes to mind, but there a many other brands.

You have a point, but more than anything I think girls look better in those traditional clothes and some of them look very standard and basic. The red shorts and shirt isn't the worse I've seen him in, I actually think they try to hard to make him look like a mini adult.

All of those outfits are adorable, more than anything they keep the infant looking like an infant.

Here's an old picture of Prince Andrew, Prince Edward, Lord Linley, Lady Sarah, Lady Helen, and a couple more. I think you will enjoy the clothes they are wearing. I think it's a charming picture

I am sorry. Could not get the picture to come through. If you google "old picture of Prince Andrew, Prince Edward, Lord Linley". It will come up.

I think george looked absolutely perfect. As it was, he seemed sweaty, so it was good he was in short sleeves. My boys dressed like this for special occasions, but they usually had a jacket, with an eton collar, that was the "uniform" It is a collarless jacket. The company IMP was the best for all of this in the USA. But I dressed them in saddle shoes as toddlers for special occasions, nicer than these black Mary Jane types.

Last edited:
You know what? Next baby girl just needs to be named Mary Jane :)

Prince George is wearing an outfit that is probably part of most British upperclass boys wardrobe. To have different taste in clothes is just fine but the derogatory comments about different cultures way of dressing their children is just ignorant. The outfit can be ordered online and even shipped to the US if needed.

Smocked Set - By Rachel Riley Set

Well, I love how they (with emphasis on they) dress George. He looks so dapper, the little man, and I wish the classic style of dressing children was more trendy here in Denmark. For quite some years hippieish sort of colourful clothing has been very popular here and I'm a bit :eek: with it. Having a cousin who is absolutely enamoured with everything Frozen and adores her Elsa tees, I'm not against character-themed clothing per se but I just think most of it looks terribly cheap and poor quality.

As for Charlotte, I reckon one only has to glance at e.g. Rachel Riley's section for girls to see how she will be dressed in the coming couple of years (and to me, it looks lovely) :D

Yes, its an upper class outfit for special occasions. As long as they don't take George to the playground or polo in such an outfit its ok. Its not my cup of tea, but then, I dont move in similar social circles.

If realistically most of his peers come from the same landed gentry set they will have the same style of dressing more or less so he will not know he dresses a bit differently than regular kids or get picked on for those Mary janes and rouched shirts. That is something anyway.

Was the blue trooping the colour outfit also by Rachel Riley? If so, I suspect her to design lookalike William outfits on purpose so Kate and William can't resist.

The Trooping the Colour outfit was the one worn by Charles in 1949 and William in 1984.

Maybe William couldn't find his 1984 red outfit and purchased one similar.

For Princess Anne's christening Charles wore several outfits including the blue and white outfit George wore to the Trooping the Colours. If Charles' baby pictures were in color we can see how often George and William copied or wore Charles' clothes.

FYI, there are pictures of Charles in dresses.

Last edited:
Fashion for the little royals Part 7: January 2015 -

George in not formal occasions has been dressed in overalls with polo shirts underneath, shorts with collared shirts with a sweater. All normal little boys outfits.

People would look at teenage boys wearing a tails to high school as weird in America. But that is totally normal and required when going to Eton.

I don't think the 2nd photo is from Anne's christening. The christening gown that we just saw in quite longer than what Anne is wearing. Also Princess Elizabeth is not wearing a hat. Philip wore a morning suit to Charles's so probably not wearing a uniform to Anne's. I think it's just a posed family photo. Or they had a change of outfits.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
Well, I love how they (with emphasis on they) dress George. He looks so dapper, the little man, and I wish the classic style of dressing children was more trendy here in Denmark. For quite some years hippieish sort of colourful clothing has been very popular here and I'm a bit :eek: with it. Having a cousin who is absolutely enamoured with everything Frozen and adores her Elsa tees, I'm not against character-themed clothing per se but I just think most of it looks terribly cheap and poor quality.

As for Charlotte, I reckon one only has to glance at e.g. Rachel Riley's section for girls to see how she will be dressed in the coming couple of years (and to me, it looks lovely) :D

It's the same here, in the States. I was intrigued by 'Frozen', but after my preschoolers started showing up to school with all things related to that movie, I got over my initial curiosity. It seems like you can't step outside without seeing a child wearing one character or another. If it makes them happy, that's great, but like you, I think it looks cheap. I did check out Rachel Riley's section for girls, and I thought the outfits were gorgeous. It's too bad that they're way out of my price range. I would love to dress my kids in her clothing.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom