Royal Jewels Books

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh my, thanks Warren. Now I really can't wait! Great photos and wit.:lol:

Have you guys seen or own Tiaras: Past and Present by Geoffrey Munn ? Is it worth getting? I do have A History of Splender but wondered if I should get this as an addition.

Amy said:
Does anyone have Vincent Meylan's Queens' Jewels and can tell me how good it is (how detailed, photographs ect).
The review on Amazon says:
Meylan has put together the collection of jewels of the royal houses of Russia, France, Spain, Sweden, Britain, Italy, Iran, Austria, Belgium and the Balkans. Not only the crown jewels but as well the personal jewlery of the crowned heads are described and their history traced.
I have this book and I enjoy it very much!

kerry said:
Have you guys seen or own Tiaras: Past and Present by Geoffrey Munn ? Is it worth getting? I do have A History of Splender but wondered if I should get this as an addition.

It's a much smaller book, but it has diffrent photos and is quite interesting. If you had to have just one of the two, you've got the right one!

I just spent :bang: $84.82 ordering both Tiaras: A History of Splendor and Famous Jewelry Collectors by Stefano Papi on Amazon.com.

However, the books won't be shipped until:
"Shipping estimate for these items: January 4, 2007
Delivery estimate: January 10, 2007 - January 12, 2007"

I pray these books will be worth it in the end.

:)

That's a long wait. I'm not familiar with the second one, but I'm sure you'll find the tiaras book is worth both the wait and the price. Wonder why Amazon is taking so long; this is the sort of book that would make a brilliant Christmas gift, but they aren't going to sell many of them if the shipping date isn't until the new year.

Leslie Field's book is about Queen Elizabeth's jewels, I think it's the best. Unfortunately not anyone else's in the British Royal Family. However, she only shows jewels that have been worn in public by a member of the Royal Family. Private jewels are not shown or noted...darn! Suzy Menkes book looks interesting, but I'm not ready to pay $75 USD for it if I can't see it first.

Two books on Royal Jewels

I would like to suggest two books:
Crown Jewels of Europe by Prince Michael of Greece ISBN 0-06-015201-X
published in 1983 by Harper and Row and
Ancestral Jewels by Diana Scarsbrick ISBN 0-86565-119-7 published byThe Vendome Press in North America 1990
In Ancestral Jewels there are photos of the rarely seen Rosse Tiara and emerald necklace of Lord Snowden's mother and Oliver Messel's sister respectively.The Countess Of Rosse was a outstanding beauty with impeccable tatse.

Last edited:
Collectible Books on Royal Crown n Tiara

Does anyone have a good recommendation for books on Royal Crown & Tiara? I'm interested in collecting one... not sure is the book "Tiaras - A History of Splendour" by Geoffrey C. Munn (ISBN: 1815493751) a good book or "Tiaras: Past and Present" by Geoffrey Munn (ISBN:0810965941) is better? Any suggestion? I prefer one which is pictorial and more comprehensive... Thanks...

Tiaras A History of Splendour, at 432 pages with hundreds of photographs, is the definitive tiara book (aka the Tiara Bible).

Is there a book that I can purchase dedicated to the German Royal/Princely Houses' Jewelry and/or Tiaras?

Thanks!

“De Juwelen Van Het Huis Oranje-Nassau”
Author: Rene Brus
Schuyt & Co
ISBN: 90 6097 403 4
ISBN-10: 9060974034
ISBN-13: 9789060974032

“Crown Jewellery and Regalia of the World”
by Rene Brus
Publisher: Pepin Press
March 2008
ISBN-10: 9054960906
ISBN-13: 978-9054960904
List Price: $51.65

“Bijoux De Reines”
by Vincent Meylan
Assouline de Francia
January 2002

“De Juwelen Van Het Huis Oranje-Nassau”
Author: Rene Brus
Schuyt & Co
ISBN: 90 6097 403 4
ISBN-10: 9060974034
ISBN-13: 9789060974032

“Crown Jewellery and Regalia of the World”
by Rene Brus
Publisher: Pepin Press
March 2008
ISBN-10: 9054960906
ISBN-13: 978-9054960904
List Price: $51.65

Thanks! The second one is the English version of the first then, or entirely different? It's all about the Oranje-Nassau jewels?
Stupid question I guess.... the English one implies it's about many royal jewels besides Dutch.... Sorry.... but thanks again. ;)

The second one is not yet in the market.

Tiaras is an excellant book and really worth reading also the books about the Queens Jewels and that of the Royal Family Jewels are amazing and really informative but are not up-to-date

Other books about Jewelry

FAMOUS JEWELRY COLLECTORS by Stefano Papi and Alexandra Rhodes

EXTRAORDINARY JEWELS by John Traina.

JEWELS OF THE TSARS, the Romanovs & Imperial Russia by Prince Michael of Greece.

FIVE GOLD RINGS a Royal Wedding Souvenir Album, from Queen Victoria to Queen Elizabeth ll.

SHINDE JEWELS by R. Keswani.
JEWELRY FROM ANTIQUITY TO THE PRESENT. by Clare Phillips.

QUEEN ELIZABETH II, A BIRTHDAY SOUVENIR ALBUM

Fabergé!

Fabergé's Eggs
The Extraordinary Story of the Masterpieces That Outlived an Empire
by Tony Faber
Pan Macmillan 324pp

an image of the book cover: Fabergé

"This is the story of Fabergé's Imperial Easter eggs - of their maker, of the tsars who commissioned them, of the middlemen who sold them and of the collectors who fell in love with them. It's a story of meticulous craftsmanship and unimaginable wealth, of lucky escapes and mysterious disappearances, and ultimately of greed, tragedy and devotion.

Of the fifty 'Tsar Imperial' eggs known to have been made, eight are currently unaccounted for, providing endless scope for speculation and forgeries. This is the first book to tell the complete history of the eggs, encompassing the love and opulence in which they were conceived, the war and revolution that scattered them, and the collectors who preserved them.

The uniquness of the eggs lies in the simple fact that their creator, Carl Gustavich Fabergé, strove to create eggs that were not only different but which expressed in some particular way, an event or occasion that had occurred in the previous 12 months. Thus the first egg, the 1885 Hen Egg, was a subtle way of reminding the Empress Marie Feodorovna of "a carefree past" during a period of terrorism and the 1900 Trans-Siberian Railway Egg commemorated Russia's rail link to its eastern frontier."

My personal library contains:
Tiara by Diana Scarisbrick
Tiaras - A History of Splendour by Geoffrey C. Munn
The Jewels of Queen Elizabeth II: Her Personal Collection by Leslie Field
Queen's Jewels by LESLIE FIELD (The difference between the two being the first is paperback aand organized by jewelry type - necklaces, bracelts, and the second is hardcover and organized by stones - amethysts, coral.)
Queens' Jewels by Vincent Meylan (I actually found this to be very interesting because it talks about some royal houses' jewels that I didn't know anything about, and I found it very interesting how the collections were dispersed - ie why the Belgiums don't have very many jewels.)

And this one is now in my shopping cart over at Amazon:
Tiaras: Past and Present by Geoffrey Munn (I didn't know he did another book on the subject, and the reviews claim there is very little overlap between the two)

I didn't realize I had that last one already in hardcover. The one I saw on Amazon is paperback with a different cover photo.

I have Munn's bible "Tiaras - A History of Splendour".
Would any of you recommend his other book and/or the Tiara book by Diana Scarisbrick as an addition? Do they concentrate on British tiaras or do they cover pieces from other countries as well?

Geoffrey Munn's Tiaras: Past and Present is an excellent book for the British Royal Family Jewels. As for his second book, Tiaras: A History of Splendour, keep you eyes open on Ebay. I just bought the book for $20.

Do you know if in "Tiaras: A History of Splendor" appear jewels of the Iranian or Egyptian Royal Family?

Regards and thanks!!

The only Egyptian royalty in Munn is the stock photograph of Queen Fawzia wearing the Van Cleef & Arpels diamond parure (page 389) with two pictures of the original designs for the tiara and necklace (p388) plus an accompanying paragraph (p391).

Regarding Iran, there is a picture of the Nur ul-Ain diamond tiara made by Harry Winston on page 390.

Thanks for the info!
Do you know any book where find information about Egyptian Royal Jewels?

I have received today Meylan's "Queen's Jewels? and I only can say that it's awesome! Is true that the information about, for example, Spanish Royal House's jewels, isn't very extensive, but you have to think that this book is like an introduction of the marvelous world of the Royal Jewels. If I want to read and learn more about, for example, Iranian Royal Jewels, I will buy an specific book about them (I will do it :D).

Do you know where can I find more information about the jewels of the Greek Royal House?

Have you read "Van Cleef and Arpels" by Sylvie Raulet (the edition with more than 300 pages, no the edition with only 79 pages)? How about it?

Regards!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! What books about Crown Jewels and Regalia do you know?

What about the book by HRH Michael of Greece?

Regards!

Vincent Meylan (Point de View) is writing a book about the secrets of the Boucheron famous clients during history.

Book: "Secret archives: Boucheron"

"The Greville case deserves a whole book to itself. To tell you the truth, you will find a whole chapter about mrs greville. I could not reproduce every thing, but you will see mrs greville's original tiara, before it was made into the losange shape we know, her emerald tiara, her two diamonds necklaces which, in my opinion could be the origin of the two we know and which now belong the Duchess of Cornwall.

The book is written around the clients, with original photographs from the jewels, portraits of the clients, original invoices and sometimes letters from them. It will be 450 pages with about 300 illustrations black and white and colour. I have tried to stick all the time to the original archives to give the reader the feeling he discovers them. They are reproduced with the photographs and the letters in full page so that everyone can read them like i did when i opened the archives books myself. Boucheron has given me an amazing freedom in using anything i found, untill 1958, ( after that date everything remains confidential). The book should give you a good glimpse into the collections of La Païva, La Castiglione, La Belle Otero, Mrs. Consuelo Vanderbilt, Marie Louise Mac Kay, the famous Mrs. Kelch who, believe me, did not collect only easter Fabergé eggs, Gertrude Vanderbilt, the Mrs. Astor, empress Alexandra of Russia (one piece only but beautidul), some grand dukes, king Farouk of Egypt, a few egyptian princes, the whole collection of emeralds of the the maharajah of Patiala, lady Harcourt, the duchess of Roxburghe, a lot of pearls, Joan Crawford, The Camondo family, Rita Hayworth, the duke of Windsor before Wallis, Sarah Bernhard...and some crown jewels of Iran... Just to mention a few.
Last but not least, Boucheron has given me the authorisation to publish their most secret archives, their book of stones. It is the book where all the famous stones which passed thrue their hands during one century have been reproduced and classified : diamonds, rubies, pearls, saphirs, emeralds. It is a fascinating document. The book will not be a "coffe table book" it is a normal book, a bit bigger, but text and illustrations are equal. We made this choice because we wanted to sell it cheap. So the price, in France and anywhere in the world i guess, will be 25 euros. And to tell you the truth, there MIGHT be, another REALLY AMAZING book in spring. But this one is not sure. I'll let you know if it happens. It should be decided within a few weeks. Sorry if i seem to be advertising my own books, but it isreally only about jewelry and a lot of royal jewelry”. By Vincent
Source:

Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: To franck

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom