The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Aristocracy

The book about Savoy's jewels is AMAZING. I love it :)

Old 09-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Nobility

-Crown Jewellery and Regalia of the world, by Rene Brus
-Archives secrètes Boucheron, by Vincent Meylan, France
-Jewels of the Romanovs: Family & Court, by Stefano Papi
-Joyas reales, fastos y boatos, by ricardo mateos, editorial la esfera, Spain

Old 09-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Administrator

I want the Savoy book as well. I believe its $250 and higher on half.com.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:43 AM
Nobility

Zonk: check the book at ebay, amazon and bookfinder.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:22 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by espejor View Post
The book about Savoy's jewels is AMAZING. I love it :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I want the Savoy book as well. I believe its $250 and higher on half.com.
It's in my Amazon.com shopping cart for $115, but takes 2-4 months for delivery!

Jewels of the Romanovs: Family & Court, by Stefano Papi is also in my Amazon.com shopping cart!
Old 09-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Aristocracy

You can try here:

van Hoogstraten Online Shop

or maybe in abebooks.com

Regards!
Old 10-20-2010, 05:53 AM
Royal Highness

It might've been cheaper to order the Savoy book through van Hoogstraten Online, but then I'd have to pay shipping and it might be about the same price. Thru amazon it's more expensive and I have to wait but it's free shipping. The new Romanov book was actually cheaper thru amazon and again, free shipping.

But in browsing the jewelry section of van Hoogstraten online, I found two books I'd been thinking about - the one on Danish Royal Jewels and one on the Belgian jewels, plus another one about the Spanish. Anybody know if any of these are good/worth it?
Old 10-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Aristocracy

Hi! The book about Belgian jewels is very nice and interesting. I love it :)

Regards!
Old 10-21-2010, 02:21 AM
Nobility

Rubyprincess168: I have the three books that you mentioned and are great books. The problem is tha one is in danish, the other is in french and the third one is in spanish, but the pictures are awesome.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:57 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

I'm thinking of ordering the Jewels of the Romanovs Family and Court and I would like opinions of those who have bought it. I would like to know if it's worth buying as I've read both positive and negative comments from other's who have it. Thank you very much.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:32 AM
Royal Highness

My copy shipped today so I'll know in a few days. From the preview on Amazon it looks like it showcases things other than jewels as well (snuff boxes, faberge frames, etc.) which will be really disappointing. In my personal definition, while these things may have been made by jewelers and contain precious metals and gems, they are not "jewels". I realize most of their jewels have been sold or have disappeared, but what's left (a few tiaras, frames, boxes) has been written about ad nauseum. I'm hoping for something different!
Old 10-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Royal Highness

It was waiting for me when I got home from the grocery store today! I've only flipped thru it but here's the deal. First off, the cover art is different. The book is broken down into Preface, Introduction, Recollections of Romanovs by Prince Michel de Bourbon Parma, The Last Tsar and his Close Family, Romanov Relations, Jewelled Stars, St. Petersburg and Paris, The Downfall of the Tsar, Dispersal and Survival, Acknowledgments, Sources of Illustrations, Bibliography and Index. I'd say it's about 40% text and 60% photos. The photos are an equal mix of family pictures in black & white, and photos of jewels (some color, some black & white). Three quarters of the photos (both jewels and family) are ones I've never seen before. I can't wait to dig deeper into it! It definitely looks like a good addition to the collection.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:52 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Thanks rubyprincess! I'm starting to lean in the direction of buying the book. There are so many Royal Jewel books I would like to own, if only I won the Lottery!
Old 10-24-2010, 01:12 AM
Royal Highness

It's much better than Jewels of the Tsars. Both books contain the same jewels, but IMO Jewels of the Romanovs goes further. Jewels of the Tsars starts with Catherine the Great, and continues to Nicholas II. It gives general overviews and history of their family/reigne. Jewels of the Romanovs starts with Alexander II but is much more specific. The books covers each of his brothers & sisters, their families and their jewels. It even goes further into the confiscation and dispersal of the jewels. This book definately doesn't rehash what's been out there for years.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Nobility

"Le vol des bijoux de la Bégum",
author: Jean Pax Mefret
Editions Pygmalion, 2010
Le vol des bijoux de la Bégum : Les dessous de l'enquête: Amazon.fr: Jean-Pax Méfret: Livres
Old 11-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Nobility

I have just bought “Royal Jewels – From Charlemagne to the Romanovs” by Diana Scarisbrick, Christophe Vachaudez and Jan Walgrave. I was a little bit disappointed. The text does not flow as in Munn’s and Prince Michael of Greece’s books and the jewels shown are not the most dazzling.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:25 AM

Looking for a book on the British Crown Jewels

Hello everyone, I did a quick Google search and this forum was the best thing that came up.

My mom took me and my siblings to London this summer, and we got to see all the Crown Jewels at the Tower of London firsthand. She loves them and has asked me to get her a book (I imagine she's thinking a picture book) on the Crown Jewels.

I have no idea where to look for such a thing. Amazon was no help. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old 11-29-2010, 04:34 AM
Nobility

Check the books of Leslie Field and Suzy Menkes at amazon, ebay, etc.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:46 AM
Serene Highness

You might try HRP.com. I got my book on the Crown Jewels right there at the Tower after going through the Jewel House.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:14 PM

Thank you for the suggestions! I think the book by Suzy Menkes is exactly what my mom wants so I bought it on eBay.