The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > King Philippe, Queen Mathilde and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-25-2014, 06:09 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
In my opinion, the four of them as a group are the most beautiful royal children of this generation, a perfect combination of their parents' looks (and is not a wonder, considering how good looking the King and Queen are).

Eleonore might end up being more "stereotypically" beautiful than her sister but I find Elisabeth quite interesting to say so, like an old painting, her features have a lot of character, does that even make sense?

I totally agree, it makes sense to me. Élisabeth is like the grand lady, her beauty is combined with regality. Emmanuel is just like his father when he was at Emmanuel's age, so he'll be a dashing Prince when he gets older. Eléonore looks very much like her mother so I guess we will see a beautiful woman with a lovely face.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:25 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
I worked the whole day in this rainy and windy weather ang knowing the King and his family are in Bali and that we have to pay his private flight and al its costs .. I won't listen the King's Speach . Na!
But then again, so do we pay for all the ministers, and we have +80, right?, (they don't fly with any low-cost company... ) and no one seems to bother...
I read somewhere that he has no choice but flying with the army's jets because it's in the law he cannot fly with a normal flight, which is somehow to understand. Imagine any terrorist group would want to kill the king, would you feel safe to be in the same plane?

Queen Mathilde
Old 12-25-2014, 07:37 AM
Courtier

Funny anecdote of the day: my youngest son caught me watching these pics and asked who they were, I explained and we kept looking at them, then he said that he thought Elisabeth was pretty (he's completely age appropiate for her, don't worry ).

You can imagine my face at the time, a total Kodak moment

Next thing you know, he's going to join TRF and be her #1 fan

Family who bonds over royalty watching stays together
Old 12-25-2014, 02:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Our Cour des Comptes/Rekenhof pointed out the problems of the naoorw budget of our National Defence .
Using them for 10 days for holiday reasons is unacceptable for 90 % of the Belgians.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Our Cour des Comptes/Rekenhof pointed out the problems of the naoorw budget of our National Defence .
Using them for 10 days for holiday reasons is unacceptable for 90 % of the Belgians.

I'm not a Belgian, my opinion doesn't count, I just want to write my opinion about this.

If there is only one thing that I can say about King Philippe is that he is a responsible man, he would never throw away the budget or money given to him by the state. If he wants to fly somewhere, what are his options? So first I think the law should change. Then I think he's done enough this year to earn a good holiday with his family.

Again my opinion doesn't count, just a thought that I liked to share.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Funny anecdote of the day: my youngest son caught me watching these pics and asked who they were, I explained and we kept looking at them, then he said that he thought Elisabeth was pretty (he's completely age appropiate for her, don't worry ).

You can imagine my face at the time, a total Kodak moment

Next thing you know, he's going to join TRF and be her #1 fan

Family who bonds over royalty watching stays together
Your son has very good taste in ladies. Elisabeth is very pretty, and appears to have good manners, and class. It's great that you guys can bond over royalty watching. Good hobby, and you learn quite a lot about other cultures.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Xenia View Post
I'm not a Belgian, my opinion doesn't count, I just want to write my opinion about this.

If there is only one thing that I can say about King Philippe is that he is a responsible man, he would never throw away the budget or money given to him by the state. If he wants to fly somewhere, what are his options? So first I think the law should change. Then I think he's done enough this year to earn a good holiday with his family.

100% agree with you, if he was able to book private planes or something it would be different but the law itself states it has to be military planes so he's caught between a rock and a hard place

And for the record, Belgium is not Iraq or Syria, it's not as if they are in a massive amount of danger so that every penny for the defense department is needed
Old 12-25-2014, 04:56 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Xenia View Post

Your post is pretty much in line with the opinion piece in the Flemish newspaper Het Belang van Limburg.

Wat zijn we toch weer zuur - Het Belang van Limburg
https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

Btw the flights cost 75.000€ and the destination is Delhi and not Bali.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
The military labotr union is upset with the king. On saturday the king, queen and their children went left for Indonesia for a 10-day holiday. They are upset that the staff of the airplaine needs to stay in Indonesia in the christmas period too.
Privéreis Filip en Mathilde maakt legervakbond boos - HLN.be

It is forbidden for a Belgian king to use regular flights, he needs to travel by military plane.
They are in India now...

Luxarazzi : Luxembourg and Belgian Royals Spent Indian Christmas
Old 12-25-2014, 06:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The King cannot by law travel on a commercial flight, nor can he and his family travel without a security detail. Based on your reasoning, the Royal Family could never go on vacation overseas, which is absurd.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mara* View Post
Your post is pretty much in line with the opinion piece in the Flemish newspaper Het Belang van Limburg.

Btw the flights cost 75.000€ and the destination is Delhi and not Bali.
You know people are being complete unreasonable when even flemish newspapers are advocating for the King

And I think the syndicate that cried foul first needs a geography lesson, Indonesia and India are not the same thing
Old 12-26-2014, 04:22 AM
Nobility

Quote:

And for the record, Belgium is not Iraq or Syria, it's not as if they are in a massive amount of danger so that every penny for the defense department is needed
I agree. And since the formation of NATO, european countries have reduced their budgets for ministry of defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mara* View Post

thank you for the article.
I have got to confess that a flemish newspaper is actually defending the king

Quote:
You know people are being complete unreasonable when even flemish newspapers are advocating for the King
Totally agree
Old 12-26-2014, 06:33 AM
Serene Highness

Its also worth remembering that if they traveled by regular planes with the public somebody would still have to pick up the bill for the bodyguards etc to travel with them, would not surprise me at all if it actually ends up costing less to travel by military plane.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'm not sure that travelling by military plane costs less than travelling by commercial planes. I mean, they keep one military plane and its necessary staff busy for the whole time of their travel, and all this has some costs. By travelling using a commecrial plane it's true that they have to pay for seats for the bodyguards, but what happens to the plane and its costs after the landing isn't their business.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:53 AM
Serene Highness

its depends how you work out what the costs are for the royal family travelling, should they be charged, for example, with maintenance of the military plane that would have to be carried out anyway?
It would also be a massive logistical and security nightmare to get the King, Queen, their 4 children, bodyguards and I imagine some other staff all to and from one place using normal flights.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:15 AM
Heir Apparent

The King now in India has to shorten his Holidays.
He will return on December 30th as He was to sign importment new goverment documents whose application will start on 1/1/2015.

He will not ask a new air force plane which will travel only with the documents to sign!!
Old 12-26-2014, 07:16 AM
Nobility

The King was asked to come back earlier from his vacations. New laws have to be signed and published before the end of the year. If he didn't came back, militaries would have travelled to India, and came back. Because of the polemic, it was judged better to ask the king to come back .

Queen Mathilde
Old 12-26-2014, 07:33 AM
Serene Highness

So he needed a military plan after all?!
Old 12-26-2014, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_ View Post
The King was asked to come back earlier from his vacations. New laws have to be signed and published before the end of the year. If he didn't came back, militaries would have travelled to India, and came back. Because of the polemic, it was judged better to ask the king to come back .
This could also have been avoided if the laws would have been ready before Christmas. The he could have signed them before leaving.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:26 AM
Aristocracy

Unlike his father Philippe never had the intention to sign laws abroad during holidays. This was mentioned around the abdication in 2013 already. So this is nothing new at all. There never were plans to transport documents by plane.

Btw the persons in charge need to take their dictionary and look up the true meaning of discretion. How can they claim they discreetly asked the king to return when its all over the papers. But then again everything has to be turned into a polemic these days, mission completed I guess.

Tags
king philippe, queen mathilde