Will Charles Ever Reign?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
corazon said:
Camilla can never be Britain's queen: former archbishop

This 'has been archbishop' is so out of touch with the current situation and views. :(
Lord Hope has kept his title whilst 'retiring' to become a local vicar. He is no longer a leading figure in the CoE. With some of his views on all sorts of issues, it makes you wonder if he jumped before he was pushed!:)

look, is very simple look back in the history. the monarchy have 1203 years old from EGBERT, from him there was no king without being married according to church. I do not say this, is in history.

Its automatic that the Kings wife becomes Queen. Its nothing to do with the church. If they are legally married, she becomes Queen. They are legally married and she will become Queen. End of.

Queen Consorts get anointed? I don't think that's correct.

BeatrixFan said:
Its automatic that the Kings wife becomes Queen. Its nothing to do with the church. If they are legally married, she becomes Queen. They are legally married and she will become Queen. End of.

It doesn't have to be that way, If a country didn't want a Crown Prince's wife to be their Queen, she could simply be his consort (same thing really, except for official things), and not have the title of queen.

I am not saying that is not that way, (I am not who must say it) I have perfectly been studying history for many years (to me I do not like a person, to my likes me an institution, the intitition's past, the institucion's present and of course the institution's future) I know the laws of monarchy. When the prince become king his wife become queen, is natural.

corazon said:
It swore before God in his marriage with diana and not fulfill his oath. I am not protestant, I am catholic, but I believe that conduct in any regligion not is adapted (less some day to be head of the church) The archbishop was only an opinion.

I won't go into who broke her oath before god first, in my opinion. :(
Charles will be king and Camilla queen in all but name. Religion is dying out in the UK, so we are told, perhaps with views like the ex archbishop, it will help push it on it's way!
He also refuses to marry any divorced person (whether they were the ones at fault or not), is against homosexuals and all manner of things that are accepted by ordinary people.

Layla1971 said:
It doesn't have to be that way, If a country didn't want a Crown Prince's wife to be their Queen, she could simply be his consort (same thing really, except for official things), and not have the title of queen.

exaclly, the royal house was VERY clear about it.

if the church is dying or not in the uk not is our business, we here talk about royalty, and in uk the church and the monarchy go together, the king is church's head.
To be against gay etc is not to be no nreligious, is to discriminate. I hate the discrimination, before God we are all equal. The person is like is and all we respected, and that all we are different for that this world is a a good place

corazon said:
exaclly, the royal house was VERY clear about it.

Don't forget that the question about Camilla's titles was raised in the House of Commons in the lead up to the wedding.

To the question of whether she really was the Princess of Wales - Yes but has chosen to use Duchess of Cornwall.

To the question of whether she really would be Queen - Yes, it will take legislation to deny her that title.

As time goes by I suspect that she will be accepted as Queen Consort with the full coronation ritual but only if, at the time Charles becomes King (and she becomes Queen Consort) then parliament will have to pass the legislation. As she will already have assumed the title HM Queen Camilla at that time the legislation will then have to convert her title to HRH Princess Consort. They may pass the legislation earlier of course but that pre-empts a situation that may never arise - she or Charles may not outlive the Queen of course.

Abdication- not an option

I think abdication is not an option because HM the Queen takes her vows very seriously. Don't forget that her coronation had a deep religious obligation placed on her to serve until death. There have been reports that she takes that quite seriously. Even looking at her life and dedicating herself to her people at 18 and again at 21 I think this is true.

I was watching a video recently about the coronation and it included interviews with her ladies in waiting and a reunion of the ladies with the queen. It was quite touching to see and they interviewed the staff and military who took part in the festivities and the seamstresses that sewed the coronation train. The emotion and pride these people felt because they were involved in this occasion was very moving. I have to say I cried a little.

So I think that for the House of Windsor, their obligation to serve and the religious aspects of their anointing etc. - they in a sense marry the nation-make abdication a no-no.

chrissy57 said:
Don't forget that the question about Camilla's titles was raised in the House of Commons in the lead up to the wedding.

To the question of whether she really was the Princess of Wales - Yes but has chosen to use Duchess of Cornwall.

To the question of whether she really would be Queen - Yes, it will take legislation to deny her that title.

As time goes by I suspect that she will be accepted as Queen Consort with the full coronation ritual but only if, at the time Charles becomes King (and she becomes Queen Consort) then parliament will have to pass the legislation. As she will already have assumed the title HM Queen Camilla at that time the legislation will then have to convert her title to HRH Princess Consort. They may pass the legislation earlier of course but that pre-empts a situation that may never arise - she or Charles may not outlive the Queen of course.

Well said, that's the most logical and accurate post that I've seen on this subject.

No No No. Sorry to be so harsh but that isn't true. Clarence House said that she would be known as Princess Consort but they have since confirmed that upon the Queen's death, Charles will become King and Camilla will become Queen as his wife. Camilla can use a lesser title but she will have the legal right to use the title Queen Camilla. As Chrissy57 pointed out, it will take an act of Parliament to stop her getting the title of Queen and that isn't going to happen.

Those are the facts.

you're right Chrissy57, maybe in the future the parliament will have the last word in this case.
is posible.

corazon said:
in uk the church and the monarchy go together, the king is church's head.

Most people in the UK have no idea that the 'church and monarchy go together'.
Most people in the UK who support the monarchy, do so because it is the monarchy, the church does not enter into the equation.

BeatrixFan said:
No No No. Sorry to be so harsh but that isn't true. Clarence House said that she would be known as Princess Consort but they have since confirmed that upon the Queen's death, Charles will become King and Camilla will become Queen as his wife. Camilla can use a lesser title but she will have the legal right to use the title Queen Camilla. As Chrissy57 pointed out, it will take an act of Parliament to stop her getting the title of Queen and that isn't going to happen.

Those are the facts.

Well said Beatrixfan!:)

ysbel said:
Queen Consorts get anointed? I don't think that's correct.

I think they do. Queen Alexandra is supposed to have been concerned about whether her hairstyle would cause a problem with having her brow anointed.

Queen Consorts are anointed and crowned aren't they?

corazon said:
look, is very simple look back in the history. the monarchy have 1203 years old from EGBERT, from him there was no king without being married according to church. I do not say this, is in history.

You mean, apart from George IV, who had two wives at the same time? And Henry VIII, who had wives killed so he could marry again within the letter of church law?

Skydragon said:
Most people in the UK have no idea that the 'church and monarchy go together'.
Most people in the UK who support the monarchy, do so because it is the monarchy, the church does not enter into the equation.

yeah, is true but the church' head is the king like the pope is catolic's church head.
I am not in agreement with much with the Pope says (I prefer a little modernity, more open head) but I believe in God.

Layla1971 said:

British law doesn't recognise morganatic marriage; that was made clear during the whole Edward VIII mess. Charles and Camilla are legally married, and when he becomes King, she becomes Queen automatically. She can call herself whatever she likes, of course, but she'll still be Queen, just as she's Princess of Wales now.

You believe in God, I believe in God, Charles and Camilla believe in God. But God aint gonna introduce legislation to stop Camilla being Queen in the House of Commons and the Government has power over the Church. What they say goes and if they say she can be Queen, she will be. They haven't said she can't be and so she will be.

corazon said:
yeah, is true but the church' head is the king like the pope is catolic's church head.
I am not in agreement with much with the Pope says (I prefer a little modernity, more open head) but I believe in God.

The head of the Church of England is the Archbishop of Canterbury, if we're talking about the equivalent of the Pope. The monarch is the Supreme Governor as long as the Church of England is the established church in England. If the church is disestablished, the Archbishop remains the head of the church but the monarch wouldn't be Supreme Governor. Goodness knows what'd happen as far as a coronation was concerned, but that's another matter.

Elspeth said:
You mean, apart from George IV, who had two wives at the same time? And Henry VIII, who had wives killed so he could marry again within the letter of church law?

YEs, you right, george IV and henry VIII.
Henry was desperate of son, his 5 children with catrherine of aragón died when they were young and only MARY (to later MARY I) was adult., George IV was very inlove with to actress but not heve children legitimate (have 10 children with the actress)
(it did not hope to be king, tapeworm 2 brothers older than they died without children) but that he marriege but his 2 daughters die for that victoria I was queen.

Last edited:
Elspeth said:
The head of the Church of England is the Archbishop of Canterbury, if we're talking about the equivalent of the Pope. The monarch is the Supreme Governor as long as the Church of England is the established church in England. If the church is disestablished, the Archbishop remains the head of the church but the monarch wouldn't be Supreme Governor. Goodness knows what'd happen as far as a coronation was concerned, but that's another matter.

yeah, you rihgt.

corazon said:
YEs, you right, george IV and henry VIII.
Henry was desperate of son, his 5 children with catrherine of aragón died when they were young and only MARY (to later MARY I) was adult., George IV was very inlove with to actress but not heve children legitimate (have 10 children with the actress)
(it did not hope to be king, tapeworm 2 brothers older than they died without children) but that he marriege but his 2 daughters die.

You're thinking about William IV, not George IV. George married a Catholic in a secret ceremony, and then he went through his marriage with Princess Caroline while still married to Maria Fitzherbert.

Elspeth said:
You're thinking about William IV, not George IV. George married a Catholic in a secret ceremony, and then he went through his marriage with Princess Caroline while still married to Maria Fitzherbert.

ohh yes yes, william IV was george IV's brother. yes, yes.
The divorce not was legal for the catholics so he marriage the princess caroline (protestant0's wedding) without are divorce, yes. He no have children with her, I think.

at that time they were neat weddings and only they married according to having to have heirs.
the catholics not was accepted in the throne's line.

I have a question that nobody could answer to me, as would be the official position of charles if he abdicates to the throne and william is king? THIS IS HYPOTHESIS will continue being prince of wales? , because the king's eldest son is prince of wales for tath the william's son must be prince of wales. Somebody know?
Charles will be prince of the united kingdow? or he will be like EDWARD VIII?

Well, if he abdicated he would still have been King for however brief a time, so he would lose the Prince of Wales title. It would be up to William to give his father and his step-mother a title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom