The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Aristocracy

Our monarchy isn't about needed a fresh breeze. We have a monarchy in which the eldest son of the reigning monarch inherits the throne. (can't remember what its called - its late in Britain!!) Prince Charles must be and quite rightly must be King. If not the instituion will become a joke. Something which the growing number of republicans would love.

Old 09-02-2005, 07:16 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

primogeniture, Georgia!

Old 09-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks, I'll have forgotten next time i post!! I'll have to keep referring back.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Aristocracy

Charles will eventually reign as is his rightful destiny.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Schlesian
Indeed God Save the Queen!! Long mey Her Majesty reign over us, us who debate about the legitimacy of Her Majesty's successors, in spite of Her Majesty's excellent health, the well known long life-spans of Windsor women, and direct statement of there being no chance of Her Majesty's abdication while she is physically and mentally able.

I have emphasised my un-easiness with this topic, and am glad Tiaraprin that you made that simple, but clear statement.
WEll-said, Von Schlesian,i always give my support as much as i can for Her Majesty, maybe some people want Prince Charles to take the throne but Her Majesty is a really regal and Majestic Queen, she has done really woderful work during these 53 years, i wish she will reign for more 15-20 years with good health for her.I pray GOD BLESS OUR GRACIOUS QUEEN.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 09-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Charles is going to have some problems as King but I think acceptance of Camilla is the least of his problems. He seems in his own way as resentful as Diana was. (example, when he told William at the ski slopes that he hated the press) Its really not a good attitude to have especially when the job entails meeting a lot of people most of whom one thinks are inane or stupid. And its really sad to think he had to ask William what to do about the press. William is only 23 years old for chrissakes. A monarch can't gain respect if he has to ask his 23 year old son how to handle the press.
Did you ever think that it's admirable that Charles sought his grown son's advice as an adult whose opinon he values? William and Harry both have grown up in the public eye, for a time with Diana who was one of the most photographed woman in the world. They both I'm sure have their own ways of coping with the press and can give their father valuable advice just as he can give them advice.

Parents are parents but parents can also learn from their children. It's not a one way street, especially when both "children" are in their early twenties.

The Queen and the rest of the royal family learned from Diana's example to be more personable when in public. Would you say too that it was ridiculous that the Queen took a cue from her daughter in law about how to behave in public on some occasions? That she lost respect because of this?
Old 09-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree Genevieve, I think it was sweet that Will helped his father. It showed that they are a close family that leans on each other when they are upset.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:07 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia
Our monarchy isn't about needed a fresh breeze. We have a monarchy in which the eldest son of the reigning monarch inherits the throne. (can't remember what its called - its late in Britain!!) Prince Charles must be and quite rightly must be King. If not the instituion will become a joke. Something which the growing number of republicans would love.
I agree. Monarchy isn't about needing a fresh breeze. It really doesn't matter who the people want to be King, Charles or William. We don't have a say in it. I think Charles will become King, but considering his mothers current state of health and genetics, I'm guessing she still has a lot left in her. Yay!:)
Maybe he'll live a long time too, or maybe he'll have a short reign?Who knows, I'm not clairvoyant, though sometimes I think that would be pretty cool! Living thought a coronation would be exciting, but at the same time that would probably mean the death of QEII, and I don't want that!
Old 09-10-2005, 08:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

It will be sad when she dies, I will miss her cute smile.

Old 09-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Courtier

Personally, I think Charles would not make a good King. I wish him well in his personal life, but as a King, I don't think he would be as effective/admired as his mother, grandfather and great grandfather.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree michelleq, he has huge shoes to fill and I don't think he is up to par.

Old 09-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleq
Personally, I think Charles would not make a good King. I wish him well in his personal life, but as a King, I don't think he would be as effective/admired as his mother, grandfather and great grandfather.
I agree wholeheartedly!!!
Old 09-10-2005, 07:47 PM
Courtier

Charles will most definitly take the throne, but I have a strong feeling he shall be another Edward VII in terms of reign. Which, may I add is'nt his fault.

Charles' heart is in the right place, this I can see. He means well and there is no doubt in my mind that if he could undo the wrong doings of his past, he would in an instant. He is a very compassionate indavidual who tries so very hard to do what is right for his family & his country.

I do however wish for the Queen to reign as long as, or even longer than her great, great grandmother, the Queen Alexandrina Victoria. This however depends of the "Bg Guy" upstairs and what he has planned.

God save the Queen and long may she reign! We shall never see another reign like it.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:28 PM
Serene Highness

I for one have <always> liked Charles. (As I have liked Diana equally. Camilla? Blank slate to me. She's suffered horrible press but to her credit has <never> granted an interview to anyone, so what do we really know regarding her, versus what Diana's PR has told us?)

Over the years there's been more attention to the wrongs he did his ex wife, than the many many great efforts he's spearheaded in many fields such as organic farming and his fights to preserve historic architecture in the face of greedy real estate developers. He has shown artistic and intelectual prowess.

OK, so he may be less of a social butterfly than his deceased ex spouse, but I think it is telling that he is said to be great friends privately with such people as queen Rania of Jordan and the venerable king of Spain, Juan Carlos.

And as for those who'd rather have William ascend tomorrow, should the queen pass on: what do we really know about the 'kid'?! other than that he is handsome, has a smile remeniscent of his mourned mum, likes waterpolo and swahili, is politically correct but said to loathe the press as much as he loves the now-banned 'sport' of fox hunting.

I'd say let's give Charles the benefit of the doubt. He might make a decent king, albeit not a politically correct one. But that should be fine with us, no? Watching royals would get boring otherwise.

The only wild card I can see regarding Charles is Camilla. Sure, once Charles ascends the throne, the British will have to swallow Charles's partner in law as well. But will they? I think that will very much remain to be seen...
Old 09-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Courtier

Here here!
Old 09-11-2005, 08:25 AM
Aristocracy

I think Charles will be a fantastic King.
As for those who want William to be our next King. I quite imagine those same people thought Charles would be a great King when he was 23.
What I mean is no one knows what kind of man William will be in the future.
Perhaps in 40 years William will have married Kate, had a public affair with Chelsey, spent millions on therepy for sex addiction and run away to the foreign legion!!
All very tongue in cheek but you get the point.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:03 AM
Royal Highness

Seems to me, there has always been a bias against Charles based on looks. When he was young and single, he was the dashing prince. After he married the first time, compared to a more photogenic wife, he became an slightly accentric figure with big ears. Now with both sons grown into photogenic young men, again in comparison, he comes up short in this image conscious time. A lot of criticism against Charles during the breakdown of his first marriage was centered around "how could he look at anyone less beautiful than his wife?". Their private behavior was an afterthought. And I think, many made excuses for Diana's behavior because of her looks. I wonder how many people would still expect Charles to step aside if he had been the better looking partner in that first marriage.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

assume you can only be referring to his being unfaithfull to his wife because cannot think of a more politically correct person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
I'd say let's give Charles the benefit of the doubt. He might make a decent king, albeit not a politically correct one. But that should be fine with us, no? Watching royals would get boring otherwise.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Royal Highness

Well, he has strong opinions about urban architecture and preserving countryside that's not well received by the professionals.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Do not know about not being well received, there is always someone who will critisize.

Think he will have to drop most if not all the things he is doing at the moment, when king he has to be neutral and represent the uk. One of the perks of not becoming king for ages is that you can do much more as you please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas
Well, he has strong opinions about urban architecture and preserving countryside that's not well received by the professionals.

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales