The Prince of Wales's 60th Birthday Celebrations: November 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hee, my first post on the board but I had to de-lurk to ask, were not Luxembourg royals not invited? I didn't see any members of the family in the pictures. Otherwise thanks to everyone for the lovely pictures.

well, at least we got to see some pictures of the gorgeous dresses!

mary: i think it's a great dress. however, i am not sure of the combination of a broderie type of top with a black skirt with a stripped detail. it nevertheless looked very nice.
maxima: i love the dress. i don't think it was the most appropriate - i think the ocassion required something more 'classic'. however, valentino suits her. she always shines in their designs.
mathilde: perfection. great, subtle colour, classic cut but with a trendy detail. just perfect, as always.
letizia: no good pictures of her dress, but i love she chose to wear blue. it's a great colour for a night gown and she never wore it before. i hope we get to see the full dress (however, she likes recycling and i'm pretty sure we will get to see it in the next couple of galas).
victoria: oh no. not the purple dress again. i love it, but this was the chance to shine! why not recycling one we have seen a bit less?

Thank you for these beautiful photos.

Well, if it has been true but she wanted to keep things private on issuing such a statement she could have always bought one or two more presents. thus it is definately not true that she bought 60 gifts, but 61.... :ROFLMAO: Who cares anyway besides those who want to thro mud on her for over-spending?

Prince Charles today::ROFLMAO:
"I'd been led to expect at least 60 presents from my darling wife on this occasion but unfortunately I seem to have only ended up with one," he said referring to incorrect reports that The Duchess was to have bought him 60 birthday presents. (...)

The Prince of Wales - TRH visit two of The Prince's Charities on The Prince of Wales's 60th birthday

I really like Maxima`s dress, but the hairdo is awful:bang:

Okay folks! ... having seen CP Mary's dress I'll have to admit that it wasn't her finest moment! :rolleyes:

well, at least we got to see some pictures of the gorgeous dresses! ..... victoria: oh no. not the purple dress again. i love it, but this was the chance to shine! why not recycling one we have seen a bit less?

Carlota! Maybe Victoria knew that noone would know, apart from the royal fashion police at TRF :D.

That said: Mathilde is usually the most conservatively dressed and thus, the most royal of the European crown princesses, with CP Victoria running a close second! As for Mette-Marit, Mary, Maxima and Letizia, we should still expect the occasional sartorial disaster!

Maxima really did annoy me abit last night :ermm: -
I don't understand your complaining about Maxima either, sorry. :ermm: A lot of the other women there were pictured also leaving that hotel and we got pictures of them too now so I fail to see your point. Even if those photos had not been there, then maybe the paparazzi there were just more interested in her than in some of the other ones or maybe there car was further away.

Hee, my first post on the board but I had to de-lurk to ask, were not Luxembourg royals not invited? I didn't see any members of the family in the pictures. Otherwise thanks to everyone for the lovely pictures.

Welcome to the world of active posting! I hope you stick around.:flowers:

I'm not sure there's an official list of invitees, so we may not know if they were invited and refused or weren't invited. I believe the Monaco royals weren't there either.

Carlota, You seem to have read my thoughts:)

Last edited by a moderator:
60 facts about HRH The Prince of Wales

It is The Prince of Wales's 60th birthday today and to mark the occasion, here are 60 facts about His Royal Highness:

The Prince of Wales - 60 facts about HRH The Prince of Wales
Thank you for this milla Ca, I thought I was on the wrong thread until I saw this. I still think all the women looked fabulous and were appropriately dressed for a formal occasion.

The best dressed award of the night however, belongs to Prince Charles - remember him, it's his birthday!:D

Video: Prince Charles's birthday celebrations - Times Online

The official portrait of Prince Charles is magnificent - really wonderful!

As for the party dresses:

Marie Chantal - total disaster from the Madonna hairdo (including the dark roots) to the ugly Goth outfit, swinging pearls and seemingly bad attitude - she looked like she didn't want to even be there

Victoria - looks like she was wearing her recycled purple haltered dress - it's like a reject from the 70's

Mathilde - looked angelic and gorgeous

Mary - just such a mish-mash of looks - Victorian lace top teamed with a modern skirt with white stripes - the fabrics clashed - each piece on its own would be wonderful but not paired together - her hair, make-up and jewelry were exquisite

Maxima - looked fabulous - she was going to a birthday party and she looked ready to party! Her hair and make-up were flawless - all of the other ladies were bundled up in the cold rain, how did she stand being bare-shouldered outdoors?

Letizia - looked too safe and bland - and she was wearing her favorite clodhoppers: those platform peeptoe pumps, but this time in satin dyed to match her dress

Sophie - hard to tell from a car window but she looked like she didn't even do anything with her hair -

Cristina of Spain - lately, she has managed to looked really wonderful. I liked her whole look -

Camilla - I wish that she had worn a darker color as light colors seem to wash her out with her light-colored hair - she looks stunning in navy blue -

Beatrice - looks like she has cut her hair - she looked older and more mature in the photo

Where were the Luxembourgs and Lieschtensteins?
Odd absence -

Great vidio thank u skydragon... !!!!!!!!!

Thank you for this milla Ca, I thought I was on the wrong thread until I saw this.

Certainly it was a great event yesterday, with all the royals...but all this can not beat the pics of today´s Happy Birthday Boy!:wub:

just i wonder do the royals travel withtheir set of hair deresses , make up artist etc???? thinking they take the outfit in a suitcase and land inmaculate, ! i would love to have that way everytime I travel!
i see in one of the photos with CP of Denmark a present i wonder what it is inside?

London, Britain - 14 Nov 2008 : The Queen's cousin, Lady Elizabeth Anson, hosted
a brunch today at The Goring Hotel near to Buckingham Palace in honour of Prince
Charles' birthday.

Some pics of the guests:

Lady Helen Taylor
Lady Sarah Chatto
Princess Alexandra and the Duke of Kent
Queen Sonja
Prince and Princess Michael of Kent
Lady Serena and daughter Margarita
Lady Serena, daughter Margarita, Lady Sarah and husband Daniel
Lady Paola and son Albert
Duke and Duchess of Gloucester
Queen Anne-Marie

It's a shame the Duchess of Kent didn't go, since it's a family celebration and not an official occasion. Thanks for the photos, Iceflower! Nice to see the British royals make an appearance in the thread. ;)

Maxima and Willem-Alexander
APA-Picturedesk
APA-Picturedesk
APA-Picturedesk
APA-Picturedesk
APA-Picturedesk
APA-Picturedesk
Willem-Alexander talks with a photographer
APA-Picturedesk
According to the text at the photo, Willem-Alexander wasn´t keen to pose for the photographers.

Apparently he threw a tantum at a photographer. Not surprising as he does that more often. The PoO does not understand that, even when he is right, it makes him look like a bloody spiolt fool. He did the same in new-Zealand, in Argentina and on other occassions. Beatrix is to blame I suppose, she installed a sort of hatred and enemy-thinking behavior in all her sons towards the press, which was obvious in their childhood already. Constantijn luckily recovered from it, the others did not. Oh well, at least Máxima makes up for it, trying to keep smiling and wearing the best/most jewels of the party.

Last edited:
Yes Tekla, it's strange indeed... After all the House of Hannover is related to the House of Windsor. The Queen and EA are relatives, so the absence of P. Caroline and P Ernst August is intriguing. On the other hand... I sometimes think that Caroline was tolerated ( tolerated, not wanted or even accepted ) among other royals just because of her father, and now that Prince Rainier has passed away, why bother? Traditional monarchies seem to want to mark a distance, has if they are saying "you're not one of us, you're not of our rank!" Shame...

^Even if they think that Caroline is "out of their rank" being Pss of Monaco, she is married to a cousin of QEII so I'd be suprised if they weren't invited. And Albert has always seemed friendly with Charles so I'm suprised he wasn't there as well.
I really wish we had more pics of inside. At least a group photo! Those are always nice for historians later on.

I thought it was somewhat disappointing that we don't have more full length photos but I'm understanding to the fact that this was defined as "private". I thought the the royal family of Britain were the best dressed overall. The Queen looked great in ivory and Camilla looked lovely in pink.

I read somewhere in the thread that a poster said that we look too much at what the royals are wearing and in fact they probably notice very little what each other is wearing. I seriously doubt that. That line made me laugh! Who hasn't gone to a large gathering(a party, a wedding, a reunion, a anniversary) and not fussed over yourself earlier in the day and then once at the event glanced around to check that you stack up to the rest? I'm willing to bet these royals have reputations with each other and they are just like us when worrying about their outfits.

Welcome to the world of active posting! I hope you stick around.:flowers:

I'm not sure there's an official list of invitees, so we may not know if they were invited and refused or weren't invited. I believe the Monaco royals weren't there either.

Thank for the reply. Yes I do plan to try and post more often. :)

Yes Tekla, it's strange indeed... After all the House of Hannover is related to the House of Windsor. The Queen and EA are relatives, so the absence of P. Caroline and P Ernst August is intriguing. On the other hand... I sometimes think that Caroline was tolerated ( tolerated, not wanted or even accepted ) among other royals just because of her father, and now that Prince Rainier has passed away, why bother? Traditional monarchies seem to want to mark a distance, has if they are saying "you're not one of us, you're not of our rank!" Shame...

Yes it does seem as if some of the other European monarchies look down on the Monaco royals and I've never been sure why. I know there been some bad behavior on Caroline, Stephanie and Albert's parts but there's bad behavior in virtually all royal families. And the antics of these three pale in comparison to the antics of lots historical and even current royals. Maybe it's an issue of rank as the Grimaldis are TSH as opposed to TRH.

Apparently he threw a tantum at a photographer. Not surprising as he does that more often. The PoO does not understand that, even when he is right, it makes him look like a bloody spiolt fool. He did the same in new-Zealand, in Argentina and on other occassions. Beatrix is to blame I suppose, she installed a sort of hatred and enemy-thinking behavior in all her sons towards the press, which was obvious in their childhood already. Constantijn luckily recovered from it, the others did not. Oh well, at least Máxima makes up for it, trying to keep smiling and wearing the best/most jewels of the party.

It's only according to a stupid photographer. Total hearsay! Especially hard to believe W-A was so unwilling since he is the only royal photographed with a photographer. Not to mention the fact that him and his wife are likely the most photographed of the royal guests when leaving their hotel.

Besides this was a private event having photographers pacing out in front of the hotel or wherever these royals were when the photos were captured is a little irritating possibly. Back when W-A had his private 40th bash I don't remember these types of photos being taken of guests leaving to go to the party. Maybe W-A was expecting more privacy for such an event. Who knows! I'm just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

O.K it was my mistake!
As for Mary's clothes I just think that she tries a lot to be into fashion, she achieve that most of the time, of course, I love the way she dresses, but sometimes I just hope that she could dress more like a Royal and not like a fashion celebrity that is all!

What in the world do you mean by fashion celebrity? Mary goes to many events, and always seems to be right on the mark as far as what she wears. You very seldom ever see her wear a dress such as what Maxima was wearing which would be a "celebrity" dress. Mary is very classic in her clothing.

I have read that there is a concert scheduled for the PoW tonight with Rod Stewart singing. Have any photos been released yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom