Charles & Camilla: Tour of Australia, New Zealand & Papua New Guinea - November 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wbenson

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
United States
Charles & Camilla: Tour of Australia, New Zealand & Papua New Guinea - November 2012

The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall will visit Australia, New Zealand, and Papua New Guinea in 2012 to mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.
Further details will be released later.​

The Prince of Wales - The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall to visit Papua New Guinea, Australia and New Zealand from 3rd to 16th November 2012

Dates for the visits:

Papua New Guinea (Port Moresby) - November 3rd-5th
Australia (Queensland, Victoria, South Australia, New South Wales, ACT) - November 5th-10th
New Zealand (Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Manawatu) - November 10th-16th

While in Australia, Charles and Camilla will attend the Melbourne Cup at Flemington Racecourse on November 6th.
While in New Zealand, Charles will celebrate his birthday (November 14th) in Wellington.

The Prince of Wales - Details of The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall's visit to Papua New Guinea , Australia and New Zealand confirmed

During a two week visit to the three countries, to celebrate The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, The Prince and The Duchess will meet a wide cross section of people who contribute to their community, including villagers restoring coastal mangroves in Boera Village, Papua New Guinea, National Rugby League stars who help mentor and inspire indigenous children in Australia and veterans and currently serving military personnel on Armistice Day in Auckland, New Zealand.

Their Royal Highnesses’ programme, which has been drawn up by Government representatives from each of the three countries to be visited, aims to reach out to as wide a cross section of people as possible. The itinerary in each country includes engagements in rural locations – Boera Village (Papua New Guinea), Longreach and Richmond (Australia) and Feilding (New Zealand) - as well as major cities such as Port Moresby, Melbourne, Adelaide, Hobart, Sydney, Canberra, Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter
Prince Charles is en route to Papua New Guinea, where he's long been known in pidgin as “nambawan pikinini bilong Misis Kwin”.

I agree. I hope they have a good time and help restore the strength of the Monarchy down under.

I know of no one who even knows they are coming - amongst my circle of friends and acquaintances most of whom are republicans none knew they were coming this week at all and therefore have been unable to make arrangements to see them - added to which I have so far been unable to find an actual itinerary of their time in Australia other than they are going to the races on Tuesday. They are supposed to be in Sydney sometime this coming week but which day I have no idea.

To strengthen the monarchy they need to actually let us know that they are coming and tell us where to see them.

I had hoped to be able to take the day off and go and see them but with still no knowing when they will be in Sydney I won't be able to do so as it is too late to ask for a day off from work - need to give at least two week's notice for non-sick days or emergencies.

I doubt if this tour will do much regarding republicanism in Australia. William and Kate's wedding did a bit but the general consensus amongst our politicians is that it will stay on the backburner for the rest of the Queen's reign and become an issue again when she dies.

The key elements of the tour are below:
In Papua New Guinea
  • Twenty one gun salute, traditional welcome ceremony and Guard of Honour for Their Royal Highnesses’ arrival;
  • an ecumenical Service of Worship, a community welcome and the presentation of Colours to the Pacific Islands Regiment at the Sir John Guise Stadium, Port Moresby;
  • traditional dancing, singing, weaving, pottery, fishing and mangrove restoration during a visit to Boera Village;
  • a Jubilee Reception and State Dinner;
  • meeting young students working in cooking and hospitality, sewing, mechanics and carpentry during a visit to Hohola Youth Development Centre, Port Moresby;
  • meeting mentors and supported women and children during a visit to Haus Ruth’s Womens Refuge, Port Moresby;
  • official meetings with the Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition;
  • wreath-laying at the Remembrance Park Memorial, Ela Beach, Port Moresby; and
  • Twenty one gun salute and Guard of Honour for Their Royal Highnesses’ departure.
In Australia
  • A Welcome to Country by Indigenous custodians;
  • The Prince of Wales, as Patron, officially naming a new aircraft for the Royal Flying Doctor Service at the QANTAS Museum, Longreach; • visiting the Australian Stockman’s Hall of Fame;
  • joining hundreds of families at the Diamond Jubilee Community BBQ in Longreach;
  • The Prince of Wales meeting tapestry makers demonstrating traditional weaving skills during a visit to the Australian Tapestry Workshop;
  • The Prince of Wales viewing cricket skills clinics and meeting young participants in Cricket Victoria’s ‘Harmony’ programme for migrant and Indigenous communities at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), including players from men's and women's representative teams;
  • attending the Melbourne Cup;
  • The Prince of Wales attending the Housing Melbourne Symposium on sustainable urbanism at the National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne;
  • The Duchess of Cornwall attending a reception for Osteoporosis Australia at Government House, Melbourne;
  • attending a youth performing arts showcase;
  • gardening and cooking with the children of the Kilkenny Primary School, Adelaide, together with chef Stephanie Alexander;
  • participating in a showcase of South Australia’s Food and Wine Industry at Penfolds Vineyard, Adelaide;
  • The Prince of Wales attending an event to promote South Australia’s economic innovation at the Adelaide Convention Centre;
  • meeting a wide range of people attending Diamond Jubilee functions in Adelaide, Hobart, Sydney and Canberra;
  • meeting local residents, shopkeepers, volunteers and heritage workers during a walk through Richmond, Tasmania;
  • The Duchess of Cornwall attending a reception with Tasmanian Rural Women in Richmond, Tasmania;
  • The Prince of Wales seeing sheep shearing and wool classing during a visit to a sheep stud in Sorrell, Tasmania;
  • The Prince of Wales seeing demonstrations and displays from a range of Antarctic and Marine Research programmes, Hobart;
  • meeting members of the Australian Defence Force recently returned from active service, and their families, at Garden Island, Sydney, including a Royal Salute and inspection of Royal Guard and Band;
  • promoting the Australian Wool industry at the Museum of Contemporary Art Sydney;
  • The Prince of Wales highlighting the work of the New South Wales’ lifesavers and other emergency workers and volunteers at a reception at Icebergs Club, Bondi Beach;
  • The Prince of Wales joining NRL football stars for a discussion with high school students participating in the National Rugby League’s “Dream Believe Achieve” programme for Indigenous young people at the Bondi Surf Bathers' Lifesaving Club;
  • The Duchess of Cornwall accepting Colonel in Chief of the Royal Australian Corps of Military Police, Victoria Barracks Sydney, including Royal Salute and inspection of Royal and Band;
  • The Duchess of Cornwall attending a reception for leading women in the community at Government House;
  • Their Royal Highnesses officially naming Queen Elizabeth Terrace, Canberra;
  • official meetings with the Governor-General, Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition;
  • wreath-laying at the Australian War Memorial, Canberra on the eve of Remembrance Day, at the Australian War Memorial, Canberra
In New Zealand
  • Traditional Māori welcomes in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch;
  • attending an Armistice Day Commemoration at Auckland War Memorial Museum and meeting veterans;
  • meeting New Zealand Olympic athletes at AUT Millennium;
  • attending a performance of Hairy Maclary with hundreds of schoolchildren from Auckland;
  • The Prince of Wales crossing Auckland Harbour on a Sealegs amphibious vehicle used by New Zealand Coastguard;
  • a visit to Britomart in central Auckland;
  • The Prince of Wales attending economic promotion events for the New Zealand wool industry and for innovative technologies;
  • The Duchess of Cornwall meeting students and teachers during a visit to East Tamaki Primary School in Auckland;
  • a Diamond Jubilee Trust dinner at the SkyCity Convention Centre in Auckland;
  • the official opening of the Diamond Jubilee Visitor Centre at Government House, Wellington;
  • meeting members of the waka crew who participated in the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant, during a walk along the Wellington waterfront;
  • viewing designs, prosthetics, make-up and costumes related to the forthcoming Peter Jackson film The Hobbit at Weta Workshop in Wellington;
  • Official meetings with the Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition;
  • The Duchess of Cornwall attending a reception at Government House, Wellington to celebrate women in the community;
  • On The Prince of Wales’s birthday, attending a birthday celebration at Government House, Wellington with New Zealanders also celebrating their birthdays on 14th November;
  • joining a community celebration event in Feilding, including attending the Farmers’ Market, meeting volunteers, schoolchildren’s performances and Diamond Jubilee Post Boxes specially designed by local children;
  • The Prince of Wales visiting a local farm in the Manawatu;
  • The Duchess of Cornwall meeting students and tutors during a visit to the Equine Research and Wildlife Centres at Massey University in Palmerston North;
  • at Ohakea Air Base meeting personnel and their families from the RNZAF, of which The Prince of Wales is Air Commodore-in-Chief;
  • His Royal Highness attending a Reception at Government House Wellington, for New Zealand’s science and conservation community;
  • meeting local residents, shopkeepers, student volunteers, buskers, market stallholders and local dance groups during a visit to Christchurch; and
  • attending the 150th Canterbury Agricultural and Pastoral Show.
Details of The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall's visit to Papua New Guinea, Australia and New Zealand confirmed

To strengthen the monarchy they need to actually let us know that they are coming and tell us where to see them.

Sorry but isn't that actually the responsibility of the Australian government or at least Government House to publish their schedule?
Certainly when the royals visit Canada it it the Canadian government that issues the press releases for the visit along with their schedules since it is the government that invites them to undertake the visit as a general rule.

The key elements of the tour are below:

In Australia
  • A Welcome to Country by Indigenous custodians;
  • The Prince of Wales, as Patron, officially naming a new aircraft for the Royal Flying Doctor Service at the QANTAS Museum, Longreach; • visiting the Australian Stockman’s Hall of Fame;
  • joining hundreds of families at the Diamond Jubilee Community BBQ in Longreach;
  • The Prince of Wales meeting tapestry makers demonstrating traditional weaving skills during a visit to the Australian Tapestry Workshop;
  • The Prince of Wales viewing cricket skills clinics and meeting young participants in Cricket Victoria’s ‘Harmony’ programme for migrant and Indigenous communities at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), including players from men's and women's representative teams;
  • attending the Melbourne Cup;
  • The Prince of Wales attending the Housing Melbourne Symposium on sustainable urbanism at the National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne;
  • The Duchess of Cornwall attending a reception for Osteoporosis Australia at Government House, Melbourne;
  • attending a youth performing arts showcase;
  • gardening and cooking with the children of the Kilkenny Primary School, Adelaide, together with chef Stephanie Alexander;
  • participating in a showcase of South Australia’s Food and Wine Industry at Penfolds Vineyard, Adelaide;
  • The Prince of Wales attending an event to promote South Australia’s economic innovation at the Adelaide Convention Centre;
  • meeting a wide range of people attending Diamond Jubilee functions in Adelaide, Hobart, Sydney and Canberra;
  • meeting local residents, shopkeepers, volunteers and heritage workers during a walk through Richmond, Tasmania;
  • The Duchess of Cornwall attending a reception with Tasmanian Rural Women in Richmond, Tasmania;
  • The Prince of Wales seeing sheep shearing and wool classing during a visit to a sheep stud in Sorrell, Tasmania;
  • The Prince of Wales seeing demonstrations and displays from a range of Antarctic and Marine Research programmes, Hobart;
  • meeting members of the Australian Defence Force recently returned from active service, and their families, at Garden Island, Sydney, including a Royal Salute and inspection of Royal Guard and Band;
  • promoting the Australian Wool industry at the Museum of Contemporary Art Sydney;
  • The Prince of Wales highlighting the work of the New South Wales’ lifesavers and other emergency workers and volunteers at a reception at Icebergs Club, Bondi Beach;
  • The Prince of Wales joining NRL football stars for a discussion with high school students participating in the National Rugby League’s “Dream Believe Achieve” programme for Indigenous young people at the Bondi Surf Bathers' Lifesaving Club;
  • The Duchess of Cornwall accepting Colonel in Chief of the Royal Australian Corps of Military Police, Victoria Barracks Sydney, including Royal Salute and inspection of Royal and Band;
  • The Duchess of Cornwall attending a reception for leading women in the community at Government House;
  • Their Royal Highnesses officially naming Queen Elizabeth Terrace, Canberra;
  • official meetings with the Governor-General, Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition;
  • wreath-laying at the Australian War Memorial, Canberra on the eve of Remembrance Day, at the Australian War Memorial, Canberra
Details of The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall's visit to Papua New Guinea, Australia and New Zealand confirmed

Yes I know that but...there are no dates or times attached. Knowing where they are going is one thing but we don't know what days they will be where other than Tuesday in Melbourne (because the Melbourne Cup is always held on the first Tuesday in November).

That is the problem - are they in Sydney on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday (I assume they will be in Canberra on Saturday as that is the day before Remembrance Day).

Sorry but isn't that actually the responsibility of the Australian government or at least Government House to publish their schedule?
Certainly when the royals visit Canada it it the Canadian government that issues the press releases for the visit along with their schedules since it is the government that invites them to undertake the visit as a general rule.

If the purpose of the visit is in anyway designed to reduce the republican sentiments in this country then relying on a republican PM and government to issue anything is not going to work.

The fact is that the government hasn't issued a detailed itinerary - probably hoping for a low turn-out to use as a boost to the republic arguments - 'see how few people turned out to see them' argument.

Government House is part of the government - the GG is the PM's appointee and has just had her time if office extended.

Perhaps your local newspaper could help. A quick Google search provided times for Adelaide visit from a newspaper so someone must have released a detailed schedule to the media at some point.
The royal visitors' Adelaide program:
1.30pm - Kilkenny Primary School and Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Program
2.45pm - Penfolds Winery: exhibition of SA's best food and wine
3.40pm - Adelaide Rowing Club Boathouse: public are welcome
3.55pm - Adelaide Convention Centre: showcase of economic activity
5pm - Government House reception

Last edited:
Charles and Camilla are really working hard - visiting six locations in six days.
I can't believe that they are fitting so many engagements into each day.
The Australian Monarchist's League lists Camilla and Charles visiting:

Nov 5 - Longreach
Nov 6 - Melbourne
Nov 7 - Adelaide
Nov 8 - Tasmania
Nov 9 - Sydney
Nov 10 - Canberra

Radical Royalist also lists the itinerary.
You should be able to find actual times closer to the day I suspect.
For me, just reading the Melbourne itinerary I can already guess about when and where each sighting will be and also the route from one venue to another.

Hope this helps, Iluvbertie.

If I were you, I'd take the whole of Friday off.
I'd visit the Museum of Contemporary Art until you've had a great view of the exhibits, and Charles and Camilla, then I'd spend the afternoon leisurely at Bondi Beach spying the couple at Icebergs and seeing them again at the Surf Lifesaving Club...and hopefully catching an eyeful of some of those hunky Surf Life Savers too!

Last edited:
I pray their tour is successful. Hopefully this will put a damper on Aussie 'republicanism'

Well, Australia is a democracy and there are valuable arguments why it doesn't make that much sense to have a monarch who resides on the other side of the Earth.

If I were you, I'd take the whole of Friday off.
I'd visit the Museum of Contemporary Art until you've had a great view of the exhibits, and Charles and Camilla, then I'd spend the afternoon leisurely at Bondi Beach spying the couple at Icebergs and seeing them again at the Surf Lifesaving Club...and hopefully catching an eyeful of some of those hunky Surf Life Savers too!

Not possible as I have to be at Homebush by 4.00 and my boss won't allow me only four days notice for a day's LSL. He would also insist on a doctor's certificate for the day - and given that would take up an hour or more of the day it simply isn't possible to get to see them.

Had I had this information a month or so ago I could have had the day off but four days notice isn't possible.

Camilla was made Companion of the Order of the Star of Melanesia (the picture depicts a Companion's insignia). CSM is awarded for distinguished service of a high degree to Papua New Guinea and Melanesia. Companion of the Star of Melanesia is the second-highest order after Grand Companion of the Logohu.

Charles was made Grand Companion of the Order of Logohu, which recognised outstanding achievements of an individual. Being invested as Grand Companion of the Order also automatically gives the right to the title of Chief to the holder. Charles had already been made Royal Chief of the Order in 2005 (along with Princess Anne and Prince Philip), while the Queen is the Order's Sovereign.

Last edited:
Thanks for this explanation Artemisia !

I see a "state dinner" is scheduled on Sunday. If Camilla has to wear her new order, can we expect a tiara outing? Highly doubtful i know but it's the first time a foreign order is given to the duchess of Cornwall abroad...

CSM is awarded for distinguished service of a high degree to Papua New Guinea and Melanesia. Companion of the Star of Melanesia is the second-highest order after Grand /QUOTE]

The awarding of Orders is interesting to me. It would seen in order to display distinguished service to PNG, that all The Duchess has to do was exit the plane, greet people, listen to the band and then head into the medal ceremony. Believe me, I think Camilla is a good public servant, great for the Prince, fun loving and looks good in tiaras. I just think (and yes this is very American of me) an award for distinguished service to a nation should be for either a singularly great service or for a body of work that is distinguished - in or for that nation.

Not sure where to post this, but the new princeofwales.gov.uk
website has pix of the pre-tour reception. And it is a much improved site!

if this is the wrong place for this, could a moderator move it to a more appropriate place.

:previous: I understand the sentiment, but it's no different to any other foreign orders being awarded between individuals or governments during official or state visits.

As the Queen is sovereign of Papua New Guinea, I think perhaps the gifting of orders is not so unexpected in this instance. Apparently Charles officially received the order in 2005 upon it's creation though only now has he formally received the actual regalia.

As for Camilla, note that she was not gifted with the same order as Charles, but the subsidary order in terms of precedence. That is generally how the distribution of orders is handled in regards to royal consorts of the heirs apparent or presumptive.

Personally, I think it would be nice to see Camilla receive a Companion of the Order of Australia, but that is not at all likely and would notably have the vast majority of republican sympathisers up in arms (which to an extent I can understand when considering that the honour is one which is, by convention, awarded due to notable merit and outstanding service to the nation).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom