The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 12:20 AM
Royal Highness

I just hope the crowds are respectful when she arrives too. I may not be the biggest fan, but I would not enjoy someone being hounded like that.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I just hope the crowds are respectful when she arrives too
I wouldn't be much amused if they aren't.

It's quite possible this could be one of the more challenging moments thus far, since marrying into the family. Being the first (and no doubt last) public display by where Camilla is attending anyting, let alone a service, in recognition of her predecessor is an occasion where tongues shall wag witlessly and emotions for some, run high.

She shall surely be scrutinized and her body language assessed vigorously. Not a position, I myself, envy with any particular lust.

In life Diana was not fond of Camilla, and Camilla probably felt the same towards Diana. But wherever Diana may be, I'm certain no grudges or ill feelings linger, and I would like to think that Camilla can (if she already has not) make that same change to her life, having the opportunity to do so, whereas at the time of her death, that was the only way Diana was able to acquire that same forgiveness and that in itself, was a tragic outcome.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:38 AM
Royal Highness

For me all that discussion make a fuss about that memorial service.
It will happen and the press will have their event, but two days later nobody will talk about it and something else will make the headlines.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
...but two days later nobody will talk about it
Well, 'nobody' except for the members of this forum...haha!
Old 07-26-2007, 04:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelydiana View Post
I personally don't think it would be a good idea for Camillla to assist in the memorial of Diana because she isn't really liked by some Daina fans.
So what, they are far from being important are they.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
First of all, you have to think about how Diana would feel about her being there. Diana would probably be strongly against Camilla being there (Diana would probably be strongly against the marriage in general......
Are you saying that Diana would not have matured over the last 10 years and would still be bitter and twisted!

For all those apparently worried about the 'crowds' and how they will treat Camilla, rest easy, the police will not only have their batons, (nightsticks), but live ammo as well, (the army will also be issued with live rounds as usual) if the well mannered British public are unable to stomp on the few Diana fans who might decide to disrespect the royal family.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
I'm a Diana 'fan' but I have absolutely no anger for Camilla or the RF. If the fans are so stupid to disrespect the RF or Camilla, they should think a little more. This memorial is for Diana and nobody else, the fans should be happy for that. We've already had a beautiful concert (where Camilla and Charles didn't go) and making a revolution on this memorial is not a good way to thank William and Harry for all the massive work they've done. I mean by that, if the fans insult the RF they also disrespect Diana's boys.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 07-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Commoner

Hey all,

I just stumbled on to this topic, with regard to whether or not Camilla should or shouldn't go to Diana's memorial service, I think she will do what is best ofr her and her family. I have never been a Diana fan but I belive that if she were still alive she would have moved on by now and found happiness but she isn't and there is no reason the rabid elements of her fanbase can't get a grip and let things that have never affected them go. I personally think she should go as her step sons asked her,
Old 08-01-2007, 04:41 AM
Royal Highness

I think Camilla will take a pounding in the press whether she attends the memorial service or not. If she goes, she's seen as a hypocrite, etc. because she was partially to blame for the break-up of Charles & Diana's mariage. If she doesn't attend, then she could be viewed as cold or heartless, etc. I liked the suggestion of attending but sitting with other family members, not up with Charles, William & Harry.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Courtier

I´m yearning for "the day"! Than this (I´m sorry) stupid question will be history. Camilla attended the service, everyone will talk about her dress and her perfect behavior and that was it.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornsen View Post
I´m yearning for "the day"! Than this (I´m sorry) stupid question will be history. Camilla attended the service, everyone will talk about her dress and her perfect behavior and that was it.
Lol, sorry for the stupid question but I had to ask it just to see the opinion of the members. I'm sure, like you, that she will do great.

Because it matters...
Old 08-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Serene Highness

I would like to think that by now Diana, Charles and Camilla would have resolved their differences because of the boys and the mutual respect that I think would of developed over the years. I would hope that they would have followed the example of some hollywood couples, like Bruce Willis and Demi Moore, who put their kids first.
Although I "loved" Diana, I believe she would of found happiness and wouldn't have begrudge Charles his happiness finally. Remember, Charles was pressured to "sow" his wild oates and then find a nice pure upper crust young lady to marry. I think, if left to his own choice, he would of picked Camilla Shand before she married APB. Even though it was the 70's in a lot of ways, the british royal family was still stuck in the 19th century. Charles never was very assertive person about his life plan until he reached his 50's.
I hope one lesson that comes out of all of this is to allow William and Harry to make some of their own choices and no always bend to what is best for the Monarchy. IMO
Old 08-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Royal Highness

This is really awkward, because it's kind of a "kill her if she does, kill her if she doesn't" situation for Camilla. If she goes to the memorial, she'll get bashed by the press and the public for not honoring Diana's memory, wanting publicity for herself, etc. If she doesn't go, she'll get accused of being a coward, or feeling guilty, or something of that sort. So there really isn't a right decision. I personally hope that she stays home, just to honor Diana in that way, because she hurt her so much. But it will be quite interesting to see what she ends up doing.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I personally hope that she stays home, just to honor Diana in that way, because she hurt her so much. But it will be quite interesting to see what she ends up doing.
Well I think she will go. She was asked by William and Harry and I think it would be better if she didn't go because maybe the press would say she feels guilty but it's not as bad as saying she has not respected Diana by going IMO. If she doesn't go, people will say : maybe she feels guilty but at least she respected her by not going. If she goes they'll say : I can't believe she dared to assist !
In any case she will be stabbed by the press but as a Diana 'admirer', I would prefer her not to assist or if she does, to be very careful. But in any case I understand her choice, which is a very difficult one.

Because it matters...
Old 08-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
Well I think she will go. She was asked by William and Harry and I think it would be better if she didn't go because maybe the press would say she feels guilty but it's not as bad as saying she has not respected Diana by going IMO. If she doesn't go, people will say : maybe she feels guilty but at least she respected her by not going. If she goes they'll say : I can't believe she dared to assist !
In any case she will be stabbed by the press but as a Diana 'admirer', I would prefer her not to assist or if she does, to be very careful. But in any case I understand her choice, which is a very difficult one.
If William and Harry asked her to be there, then I think she should do what the "boys" want, it doesn't matter how old they get to me they will always be Diana's boys. If they can accept and forgive Camilla, who are the press to make any comments about her presence. Obviously, the boys have figured out that she makes their father happy, I just hope they weren't pressured to "ask" her.
I have never really been to fond of Camilla or do I understand Prince Charles attraction but it isn't up to me to decide. All I ever hoped for, just as everyone else here, is to see Diana's boys happy and maybe seeing their father happy, makes them happy.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

It is not a service to 'honour' Diana, it is a service to remember a woman who died 10 years ago and all the 'works' she did.

Camilla will be there, sat with the rest of her family, Charles, William and Harry. Even Charlie Spencer, his new wife, her sisters and many people Diana believed caused her pain and wasn't speaking to, will be there. TLB will be there, HM, Prince Philip - all people Diana said 'hurt' her. Perhaps they should cancel this service altogether, far from a healing that the boys wanted, if the guests are betraying Diana's memory in the same way, then there is no hope.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
It is not a service to 'honour' Diana, it is a service to remember a woman who died 10 years ago and all the 'works' she did.
Isn't that the same thing as honoring her?
Old 08-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Isn't that the same thing as honoring her?
Not normally, no, a memorial service is a standard church service, with favourite hymns, readings, psalms etc.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Royal Highness

They are honoring her, by having a memorial service for her. It is a church service, but they are having it to honor Diana, her life, and her good works.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Everything seems quite simple for me - Prince William and Prince Harry have invited their stepmother (whom they 'love to bits'), she agreed to attend the memorial, and she will attend it.

I don't think Prince William or Prince Harry could be pressured to do anything - they have expressed their love and fondness for their step-mother more then once, and in any case, if they hadn't felt comfortable with Camilla's presence, I'm sure Prince Charles & The Duchess of Cornwall would find a way out - they could make an important abroad visit, for instance.

For me, there is a symbolism in the fact The Duchess is invited - I think the Princes give a clear signal that for them the past is indeed past, it's time to go on. They are happy to live their lives alongside people, who are there for them now (Charles & Camilla), while not forgetting those, who have gone (Diana).

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 08-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

I believe if it's the boys choice then let it be. Anyway, if this memorial was only made for the people who stand by Diana until her death, there would be her boys, Lucia Flecha de Lima, and some of her closest friends. Her family didn't help her when she was alive so why should they attend if we think this way. I see this memorial as a reconciliation between Diana and people who weren't in cordial terms at the time of her death. It's a 'chance' to tell her that even if they were ennemies, it's all gone now.

Because it matters...
Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, diana's death and funeral, duchess of cornwall, memorial, princess diana, princess of wales