The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 08:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Please don't let's turn this thread into another Camilla-versus-Diana fight. It's about the question of Camilla's attendance at the memorial service, not about which of them did what and when they did or didn't do it.

Thanks

Elspeth

for the British forum moderators

Old 08-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I, too, blame Charles. He made a blunder insisting she attend, and I think he needs to do something now to show his support for his wife. I think he should stay home too.
I don't think Charles needs to do anything per se to show support for his wife. Other than a statement perhaps, but at some point you have to stop "answering" the media.

I, think Charles should attend the memorial. She was his wife, they had some good years, they had some bad years, and by the time Diana died I believe they had reached a nice place where they could be civil, and both love their children. But besides that, Diana was and will always be the mother of his children, and really thats all the reason you need.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I, too, blame Charles. He made a blunder insisting she attend, and I think he needs to do something now to show his support for his wife. I think he should stay home too.
No he couldn't do that.It is a crazy thought even he probably really felt so insecure and so much pressures. He couldn't choose that way. It is not his godson's wedding but his ex-wife's and the mother of his sons's memorial service. He will be there for the boys because he is their father. I hope that all these things will be over as soon as possible. Too much emotions.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I must admit I was never too excited about Camilla being called, the Princess of Wales. But it is her title. She is married to the Prince of Wales. And in retrospect by not allowing her to go by that title, as well as the most recent decision not to attend the memorial, these actions might have dented her position in a weird way. She is still the Duchess of Cornwall, 2nd lady of the land, soon to be Queen, etc. But the mistakes that are being made...it just seems as if Clarence House is being run by non professionals? Who is in charge of this sinking ship? Did they really think people would like...Oh..Camilla is going to sit in the front row and maybe her presence will go unnoticed??

And I am going to blame Charles for this as well. He wanted Camilla to be his wife, she was non negotiable, always by his side. That's fair. We all deserve to be happy. But you don't put someone you love in this position. Again, stubborness of her attendance put her in awkward position. She wasn't going to win either way it went.

Great big BRAVO to your last paragraph. I so unbelievably annoyed with him over this whole thing.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
She is in fact the Princess of Wales. She's Princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of Rothesay, Countess of Chester, Countess of Carrick, Baroness Renfrew, Lady of the Isles, and Princess of Scotland. She isn't using the style Princess of Wales, but she IS Princess of Wales on account of being married to the Prince of Wales.

And I'm sure you're right that she's relieved she doesn't have to be at the service, but the way this was handled has left her in a very vulnerable position. It's handed ammunition to the people who hate her and to their friends in the press and has ensured that every time they take it into their heads to hound her about something, they'll win. Which may have been the object of the exercise where some of the courtiers were concerned. It's well known that Charles isn't popular with the Establishment, and what better way to weaken him than to cut the ground from under the feet of his partner?

You haven't been cheated. She died in a car crash a year after she'd been divorced. Perfectly straightforward. And there's no "for eternity" about it.
Elspeth you are certainly entitled to your opinion but I do feel cheated, and I don't care if she was divorced and by what means she died. I liked her, despite her problems I wanted her to thrive and I know that millions in Britain and around the world feel the same.

I understand however, if people don't agree.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
But the mistakes that are being made...it just seems as if Clarence House is being run by non professionals? Who is in charge of this sinking ship? Did they really think people would like...Oh..Camilla is going to sit in the front row and maybe her presence will go unnoticed??
I almost hope they really were that stupid. Because if this wasn't a monumental blunder, then it was a deliberate attempt to undercut Camilla and possibly also Charles by either the senior staff at Clarence House or their counterparts at Buckingham Palace.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Camilla is indeed the Princess of Wales! She is also the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duchess of Rothesay, and has a few other titles too. These all come about because she is married to Charles, and only because she is married to Charles. He is the Prince of Wales, so she is the Princess of Wales. She just doesn't use that title. I wish she had used it from the start, because the longer she doesn't use it, the longer the title is going to be associated with Diana. Diana only had that title because was married to Charles. When they were divorced she lost it.

I don't understand what you mean by "cheated". She's dead, because she was in a high speed car accident and wasn't wearing a seat belt.
I am baffled that my comment about being "cheated" is being put under the microscope(and what does her method of death have to do with anything??) but here it is for the record...

Of course I have not been personally cheated by the Princess's death. That would be her family and her children. What I mean is that I feel she had so much more to offer the world, and that she had only just begun.

It's really no more complicated than that.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Courtier

Camilla's not to blame for Diana's death
Camilla's not to blame for Diana's death - Telegraph

a damage control now? or a way to calm people's feelings? I am really looking forward to other media's responses especiall the Mail's.

Another Diana memorial? Get me out of here!
Another Diana memorial? Get me out of here! | the Daily Mail

Charles weeps bitter tears of guilt (Dear Mr.Kay's excellent work)
Charles weeps bitter tears of guilt | the Daily Mail
Old 08-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Wow! Work clouds your life for a couple of days and you come back to this!

For the record, I have always thought it was inappropriate for Camila to attend Diana's memorial. Yes, I understand she was invited by Diana's sons and she wanted to support them, etc but REALLY it was just too much! IMO its just tacky...and the main reason is the history between the three. Now, if Camila had been Charle's 2nd wife, who didn't play a role in his marriage break up then I will admit, I wouldn't have a problem with her attending. But she did and the fact remains is that they WERE NOT FRIENDS.

If had been stated in the beginning the William and Harry invited her, but she thought under the circumstances (and you could read into that statement what ever you wish) it would be best if she didn't attend. That woudl have been acceptable.

I am not a fan of Camilla's but neither am I a die hard Diana fan (I do recognize her "errors" but I think its terrible that Clarence House put her in this position. For months some people have been saying that it was a bad decision for her to attend...did they think the furor would go down in the days preceding the actual event. And if Charles insisted that she attend, then shame on him for putting his beloved wife in this position. If Camilla had attended, then she would be the focus of the memorial. The camera would have been on her like crazy? Camilla blinks...is that a tear? I can hear the commentators now...what must she be thinking? It was an awful position for her to be in...and for that she has the advisers to thank.

Thank you for being so much more articulate than I am. You spoke for me entirely.

Quote:
Camilla is indeed the Princess of Wales! She is also the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duchess of Rothesay, and has a few other titles too. These all come about because she is married to Charles, and only because she is married to Charles. He is the Prince of Wales, so she is the Princess of Wales. She just doesn't use that title. I wish she had used it from the start, because the longer she doesn't use it, the longer the title is going to be associated with Diana. Diana only had that title because was married to Charles. When they were divorced she lost it.

I don't understand what you mean by "cheated". She's dead, because she was in a high speed car accident and wasn't wearing a seat belt.
I miss her terribly is what I meant. She and the late John Kennedy Jr. were two bright lights of my generation. It just hasn't been the same without them.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_cc View Post

a damage control now? or a way to calm people's feelings? I am really looking forward to other media's responses especiall the Mail's.

In my humble opinion, this article is pathetic ...
Old 08-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I don't think I or anyone else has implied otherwise. Of course she is not to blame.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Oh so much to say!

I don't want to even touch the godson wedding thing because I know its off topic BUT I will just say that based on ceratin events (i.e. the godson's wedding and Diana's memorial)...sometimes it just seems that always' Charles's way or the highway! Sometimes you have put the interests of others (i.e. your godson and your wife) before yours!

In regards to Elspeth's comment about Clarence House...I don't think they were trying to undercut Charles and/or Camilla...I think they were just trying to follow Charles's goal to the bloody end! And that was there should have been no reason why Camilla shouldn't attend the memorial. But is this just another example of Buckingham Palace saving Clarence House! Do you think there is power struggle beween both groups?

Again, it has taken me some time to get used to the fact...but Camilla's is Charles wife and she has a place in his life and at his side. I just dont think her place was at Diana's memorial.

I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly wouldn't wish the feelings of despair/anxiety/fear that Camilla might have had to deal with on Friday. Everyone watching Camilla, talking about her, etc.The immaturity of certain people (the true rabid Diana fans) and how they could have reacted at her presence at the memorial. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. The situation could have been handled better....but at least she has been spared that.

But we need to keep everything in perspective. The memorial is just another day, one hour of a day in fact. Charles and Camilla have weathered worst then this. This too shall pass.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Charles is an outright fool in my opinion, especially if he acts this way. Does he not understand he hurts her public profile more than helping by behaving in such a manner? Especially regarding things that I doubt very much Camilla gives a fools damn about.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Another Diana memorial? Get me out of here!
Another Diana memorial? Get me out of here! | the Daily Mail

Charles weeps bitter tears of guilt (Dear Mr.Kay's excellent work)
Charles weeps bitter tears of guilt | the Daily Mail

I'm sorry but I don't understand Mr Kay's article. Was he being sarcastic? In my humble opinion Charles behavior in the immediate aftermath of the death of the Princess was flawless.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

The problem with Charles is that he has no spine.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Richard Kay doesn't seem to be able to write anything positive about Charles or Camilla, so this is just more of the same. Apparently he has Rita Skeeter working for him, since he knows in so much detail about what Charles is doing and how he feels.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Rita Skeeter! Oh Elspeth! I love the HP references!

Does anyone really pay attention to Richard Kay?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
The problem with Charles is that he has no spine.
No, the problem with Charles is that he chooses to use his spine at the most in opportune times. Instead of worrying about Camilla attending Diana's memorial, he should have fought for her to be called the Princess of Wales!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Courtier

Could Saint Diana yet destroy the monarchy?
Could Saint Diana yet destroy the monarchy? | the Daily Mail

After Diana, the explosion of vileness
After Diana, the explosion of vileness | Libby Purves - Times Online

some other articles...
Old 08-27-2007, 08:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
No, the problem with Charles is that he chooses to use his spine at the most in opportune times. Instead of worrying about Camilla attending Diana's memorial, he should have fought for her to be called the Princess of Wales!
You do realize that if Camilla chose to be known as Princess of Wales the hardcore Diana fanatics would've been baying for her blood.

Tags
camilla, diana's death and funeral, duchess of cornwall, memorial, princess diana, princess of wales