Should Camilla attend the memorial service for Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Queen has always been know to but Duty and Country first. My understanding was that her concern on the marriage was constitutional. How would it affect the Monarchy's role and the role of the Monarchy as the head of the church of England and more importantly would Charles if he married Camilla be able to assume the throne (the ghost of Wallis Simpson and Edward the VIII) Once those issues were resolved, the engagement was announced.
Time has changed. Prince Charles and Camilla married in 2005 and Wallis Simpson and David were in 1930s. Moreover, Camilla and Andrew PB are PLU(People like us) and Camilla's background is much acceptable than Wallis Simpson. It is always better for them to get married rather than just being long-time lovers but Prince Charles chooses to wait the right time.

Prince Charles has to clear the ostastcles before he succeeds his mother anyway.Since other heirs to the thrones have married for love, Prince Charles is entitled to the same. I think when Prince Charles succeeds the Queen, there will be no problem for them. Camilla is always a very devoted companion to Charles and she brings calm and peace to him and people will be happy to see that.

Given that disastrous set of initial conditions, why on earth does it matter which of them was the first one to commit adultery? The damage was done, to and by both of them (and by a bunch of other family members of theirs for whom there was a lot less excuse), years earlier.

Really good post that 'summarizes' well the situation Elspeth :flowers:. I agree with you and like you said, knowing who was the first to commit adultery is not the problem. I believe that it was impossible to avoid, by the both, so honestly today, who cares to know which one started ? For myself, it doesn't prevent me to sleep (I hope that's also the case for everybody else here :D). We all know that if Diana started, Charles would have gone eventually to Camilla (adultery or not) and vice-versa. Why bother ? And why taking it on Camilla ? If it wasn't her today with him, it would have been someone else but never Diana. They were way too different to manage a relationship in long terms.

there is an online vote on Australian ninemsn website to ask whether Camilla should attend the memeroial service. 74% of 286 people voted that she should not attend the service. but there is not any reply on the discussion board so far. We may wait and see.

there is an online vote on Australian ninemsn website to ask whether Camilla should attend the memeroial service. 74% of 286 people voted that she should not attend the service. but there is not any reply on the discussion board so far. We may wait and see.
Ahhh, 286 people that will be taken to represent 'the whole' of Australia when the results are published! :ROFLMAO: What percentage of the Australian population is that (my number crunching friend is not available at the moment)! :lol:

Ahhh, 286 people that will be taken to represent 'the whole' of Australia when the results are published! :ROFLMAO: What percentage of the Australian population is that (my number crunching friend is not available at the moment)! :lol:

0.0143% - yep that's right folks - a whopping 0.0143% of the Aussie population has voted!

Really good post that 'summarizes' well the situation Elspeth :flowers:. I agree with you and like you said, knowing who was the first to commit adultery is not the problem. I believe that it was impossible to avoid, by the both, so honestly today, who cares to know which one started ? For myself, it doesn't prevent me to sleep (I hope that's also the case for everybody else here :D). We all know that if Diana started, Charles would have gone eventually to Camilla (adultery or not) and vice-versa. Why bother ? And why taking it on Camilla ? If it wasn't her today with him, it would have been someone else but never Diana. They were way too different to manage a relationship in long terms.

:D it doesnt prevent me to sleep too

yes it matters who was the first... the first to cheat took the action, the other took the reaction... action and reaction are differents in terms of guilty.

what the heck camilla will be doing in the service anyway?

someone mentioned the wifes of d; e; f (dianass lovers). maybe these wives didnt like diana a bit (and i understand them). If one of them (wives) had died, do you think diana would had been there attending their memorial service too?... i really dont think so

:D it doesnt prevent me to sleep too

yes it matters who was the first... the first to cheat took the action, the other took the reaction... action and reaction are differents in terms of guilty.

someone mentioned the wifes of d; e; f (dianass lovers). maybe these wives didnt like diana a bit (and i understand them). If one of them (wives) had died, do you think diana would had been there attending their memorial service too?... i really dont think so

No, but Diana wouldn't have been married to the husband of 'D' or 'E' who died I suppose. If she were, I think she would be going as his new wife; end of the story. Diana wouldn't have caused the death of 'D', 'E', 'F' as Camilla didn't cause the death of Diana so why does it bother you so much ?

Last edited:
Aquarela said:

She might go, if the children of 'D' or 'E' or 'N' had invited her to.

I'm sure Diana's memorial service is not the top favourite place for Camilla but the fact is: her stepsons invited her, they want her to be there to support them and their father.
She obviously cares enough for their feelings to put aside her own and do what they want.

Camilla isn't going to sing, perform or otherwise draw attention to herself, something she has never done. She'll just be there, discreet as usual, supporting her family.

She might go, if the children of 'D' or 'E' or 'N' had invited her to.

I'm sure Diana's memorial service is not the top favourite place for Camilla but the fact is: her stepsons invited her, they want her to be there to support them and their father.
She obviously cares enough for their feelings to put aside her own and do what they want.

Camilla isn't going to sing, perform or otherwise draw attention to herself, something she has never done. She'll just be there, discreet as usual, supporting her family.

Absolutely and she's quite like the Queen in her reflection : Duty first, self second. She was asked to go, so I believe she will even if she doesn't feel like it.

I personally wonder how long this event will be talked about after it's over. My bet is that the papers will not make more than 3 or 4 days of ranting out of it and then it's yesterday's news. :)

I will try to find the source where I read that Sophie did not attend the procession of the funeral cortege by Buckingham Palace (because of her resemblance to Princess Diana). It made an impression on me since she was still only dating Prince Edward. If I can access the source, I will post it.

I have not read all of this thread! I would like to inject some new lines of thought. Yes Camilla has a duty. Is anyone thinking of that duty in the history books? We teach are children to not make our mistakes to make their lifes better! The Royal Family is human, they make mistakes just like the rest of us. I wonder is Prince Charles still attempting to totally overshadow Princess Diana. Why is he tring to destroy her? Is he still Jealous? Someone said Living get on with it. This is true but we have to as human be mindful of how are actions affect other people. Camilla did bring alot of this on herself but she did have help from Prince Charles. Yes there is a possibillity that Diana would not be with Charles regardless. But I ask that why did that have to be and what happened to cause it. Actions always have consequences. Diana, Charles, And Camilla caused all this mess. I wonder if it would have happened if the Royals had not tried to live in the old ages in the 20th century! People do not agree with Adultry. They did not either at the time of the weddding. Are the memories of Diana going to be forced out of the history book? Cultures all over the world have tried to erase history. I would have thought we were better humans now! I am a devoted Diana fan but I think Camilla should go to te service to show her respects. I think she could go as far as to give a spoken appology at the service as to her part in this mess. That would limit the bad press.

William and Harry invited Camilla to the memorial.

I can't wait to get this Memorial Service over with so that we can all get this topic behind us and move on...:bang:

I sincerely hope members of the public who may feel a little "heated up" that day respond with dignity and grace when she arrives.

This will be televised in the United States as well and I am sure it must have crossed the POW and DOC's minds she may be eviscerated verbally, or even pelted with objects.

I just hope everyone behaves in a polite manner.

The Age, The Herald Sun, even the daily printed MX Magazine have all had articles and liftouts.

I believe there was or is to be a documentary on TV, though if it's already been on I haven't seen it. But of course Sydney would have, or shall, get it also.

Clearly more of a media medium, and certainly just because nothing of any real substance has been printed in Sydney, does not mean any other city or state shall not run with the anniversary. And it's to no massive length, though clearly more than what's being printed in Sydney.

I, to be truthfull with you, cannot alter the narrow mindedness of those you are talking of, and have no ambition to do so so I don't particularly care who loath's Camilla and who loves Diana or who adores Camilla and who despises Diana...it's sad and naive behaviour and though I'm happy to participate in the conversation It's of no consequence to me if someone has such an unfulfilling life that they must make the marital and divorce issues of others their own 'fight' and 'conquest'.

Personally, if you were to go back and read through my posts (I'm certainly not telling you to do so :flowers:), then you would find that I, myself, stated that if Camilla were to attend then let it be to acknowledge and celebrate the many wonderful things Diana was able to do during her short life.

i think we're on the same page. :flowers:

No!!!!!

I would like to start a poll on this question but it's a little controversial so if the moderators think it's a worthless thread that could cause some fight then delete it, no problem with me :flowers:.
Is very sad that this man use Diana to have children and I think He never love Her,then Diana died ,sadly and now camilla the mistress whit out shame is dressin like Her,took Her place and help to broke her marriage,I don't think she has to be present on any thing.miaamor:bang:

Time has changed. Prince Charles and Camilla married in 2005 and Wallis Simpson and David were in 1930s. Moreover, Camilla and Andrew PB are PLU(People like us) and Camilla's background is much acceptable than Wallis Simpson. It is always better for them to get married rather than just being long-time lovers but Prince Charles chooses to wait the right time.

Prince Charles has to clear the ostastcles before he succeeds his mother anyway.Since other heirs to the thrones have married for love, Prince Charles is entitled to the same. I think when Prince Charles succeeds the Queen, there will be no problem for them. Camilla is always a very devoted companion to Charles and she brings calm and peace to him and people will be happy to see that.

My point was strickly about the consitution and the church of England 's rules. It has nothing to do with what you responded to with your statement - apples and organges. My reason for bringing up Wallis Simpson was because Edward was head of the church. The church opposed marriage to a divorced person and thus Edward caused a constitutional crisis. Winston Churchill was very involved in this whole situation. It was determined that if he married Wallis he would have to abdicate. It's not about the personalities of Camillia, Wallis or charles or Camilla's devotion it's about the consitution and the Church of England. While times have changed, the Constitution and the Church of England's situation have not not which was why Charles marriage to Camilla was tricky and why it was conducted in the way it was.

Is very sad that this man use Diana to have children and I think He never love Her,then Diana died ,sadly and now camilla the mistress whit out shame is dressin like Her,took Her place and help to broke her marriage,I don't think she has to be present on any thing.miaamor:bang:

If it was as simple as "she has stolen Charles from Diana so she shouldn't go" then there wouldn't be any thread and life would be very easier for everyone (well quite borring in fact because we would have nothing to discuss on this forum :D).It's far more complicated I think and it's why there are so many opinions.

And he certainly not used Diana to have children because he would have with Camilla if he had been allowed to marry her at this time. But life decided otherwise ...

Last edited:
If it was as simple as "she has stolen Charles from Diana so she shouldn't go" then there wouldn't be any thread and life would be very easier for everyone (well quite borring in fact because we would have nothing to discuss on this forum :D).It's far more complicated I think and it's why there are so many opinions.

And he certainly not used Diana to have children because he would have with Camilla if he had been allowed to marry her at this time. But life decided otherwise ...
So you think it was that he was 'not allowed'? I have heard both that theory and that he dawdled and she was in love with APB whom she had been with (correct me if I'm wrong) 7 years. Both are certainly viable theories. I've always wondered, if it was the 'not allowed' then, why was he was allowed later. Surely whatever it was about her that gave her the 'not allowed' stamp...she still has those whatevers. My point is why was he allowed to marry her now after the divorces, but not allowed to marry her when she was a single lady. Surely it would have been less problematic, constitutionally?:)

No.

I am happy for them that they are happy but the way it was done was wrong. It would be in bad taste imho.

I really think she should not go. Regardless of her history with the POW and the fact that they are now married,she was active in seeking the breakup of Diana's marriage. To go to the service would bring home loud and clear that the "third party in the marriage" has assumed Diana's position with all it entails,has married the POW,and has been actively involved in bringing up Diana's sons. It would seem a winner take all situation.

Someone mentioned that there was a statement on the POW's website. Can anyone post the link to it? I can't find it at the moment.

As to the current poll, it is extremely tricky for Camilla. Of course, the princes invited her. How could they not? They would not have excluded her. It's really up to Camilla whether to go or not.

I rather think she shouldn't. I don't hate her at all. But just to keep the event quiet and free of controversy, maybe she should just put out a statement. I'm sure they can craft something that is civil and polite, to the effect of "she would like to remember Diana as the great woman that she was, but feel that her presence at the service will detract from the solemnity of the event, etc. etc.".

There will be a memorial service in London on 31st August 2007.

Prince William and Prince Harry have invited members of The Royal Family including Her Majesty The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, as well as Lady Sarah McCorquodale, Lady Jane Fellowes and Earl Spencer, all of whom will attend.

The Prince of Wales - Prince William and Prince Harry announce memorial service and concert to commemorate and celebrate their mother’s life

I would choose to think the decision of inviting Camilla has been already discussed before the news release. Camilla probably voiced her concern but Prince William and Prince Harry would like to all their family can unite together.It is their choice and I would choose to respect it. If the media does not make a fuss, I think many people have moved on.

yes it matters who was the first... the first to cheat took the action, the other took the reaction... action and reaction are differents in terms of guilty.......
.....someone mentioned the wifes of d; e; f (dianass lovers). maybe these wives didnt like diana a bit (and i understand them). If one of them (wives) had died, do you think diana would had been there attending their memorial service too?... i really dont think so
If somebody loves their partner and that partner strays, the last thing on their mind would be to go out and have an affair themselves, IMEaO. Action and reaction are the same in terms of guilt.

Would Diana attend the funeral of the wife of one of her lovers, yes, I believe she would.

I think she could go as far as to give a spoken appology at the service as to her part in this mess. That would limit the bad press.
Camilla has already asked forgiveness of her god, in front of the nation. Does anyone really want this service degraded any further by asking Camilla and I would think Charles to make an apology, (to who exactly)?????

If that were to happen, it certainly would take the focus away from the woman this service is supposed to be about.

now camilla the mistress whit out shame is dressin like Her,took Her place and help to broke her marriage,I don't think she has to be present on any thing.miaamor:bang:

dressing like Diana?! you would rather that she goes around in a burlap sack and barefoot? as for attending events, it is her duty to attend certain engagements. if she avoided everything then we'd have a thread on her about that. (i'm going to get crucified for this but here goes) in a lot of ways camilla has carried herself in a far more dignified manner than diana ever did...she has put her best face forward in the storm of public criticisim when she could very easily have run in the opposite direction. for these reasons she has been an excellent example of devotion to duty and the POW and i think she makes a wonderful representative for the monarchy.

in a lot of ways camilla has carried herself in a far more dignified manner than diana ever did...
That is a matter up for debate. The constant comparing between Diana and Camilla is getting very old and unproductive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom