The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 02:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
Again, it isn't the 'Diana fans' punishing Camilla, its those who expell the theory that they are.

This "punishment" was initaited by the two you claim are being "punished". How does that figure?

whatever reasoning behind their decision, it was their's to make and if it was influenced by past goings on then so be it..but why must it all be a reflection of the Diana 'saga'? Why cannot it not be in reflection of the fact that Camilla was once a married woman and has two adult children out of the royal union?

Yes she is his wife but she is also a divorcee. Charles too but nothing can (or would) be done about his hereditary designation.

Yes she's divorced. Yes he's divorced. However they are married now. Legally, lawfully married. Why shouldn't she be able to take full advantage of that and share in his titles equally when he is crowned King? She's sharing his titles equally now, isn't she? To do anything other than what is right, which is allow her to use and be styled as Queen, is an insult to her as his legal, lawful wife. If Parliament allows this to happen, then it happens and not much can be done about it. However, that doesn't mean I'm going to think that it's the right thing to do.

Calling her anything other than Queen says that she is not worthy enough to be the Queen. Who determines "worthiness"? Parliament? The RF? Will William's future wife have to go through some battery of tests to determine if she's fit to use the title when the time comes? Where does this end?

If they didn't think she was worthy enough to be given the title of Queen, then she and Charles should not have gotten married. By marrying him, she was legally and lawfully entitled to use it and be styled as such and if they, whoever "they" are didn't think that was appropriate....for whatever reason.....the two should not have gotten married. But they did get married. As his wife, she shares in his titles. She's currently using one of the titles at her disposal. When Charles is crowned, what happens to her then? If she's not going to be Queen Consort, where does she go? In a back room away from everyone else?

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-21-2007, 02:39 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm not incredibly familiar, but will Camilla be the first formerly divorced spouse of a succeeding (consequently reigning) King?

Old 01-21-2007, 02:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
I'm not incredibly familiar, but will Camilla be the first formerly divorced spouse of a reigning King?
I don't know. Maybe if you go back far enough, you might find one. I can't think of anyone recent, however.

Edit: Holy banana boats, does my typing stink tonight.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-21-2007, 02:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
I don't know. Maybe if you go back far enough, you mind find one. I can't think of anyone recent, however.
Hmm, neither can I...

I wait upon Jo, Frothy or Branch to provide the answer.lol.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:12 AM
Administrator

I don't mean to spoil the party, but where in law or precedent does it state that a divorcee can't take the position of Queen Consort?
Old 01-21-2007, 03:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
I don't mean to spoil the party, but where in law or precedent does it state that a divorcee can't take the position of Queen Consort?
Spoil all you like, Warren.

I didn't say there was precedent and obviously there is none given Camilla shall legally be Queen Consort. It does not change that Camilla shall be the first (?) formerly divorced consort and so a new precedent (aka Princess Consort) is to be ratified in reflection of this.

Is it possible that this is a primary influence? Of course. Is it possible that its not? Also likely.

This is merely a concept being thrown about.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:45 AM
Majesty

She has already been mentioned in this thread - Eleanor of Acquaitaine (sp).

She was divorced from the King of France (for not giving him a son!!!) and then married Henry II of England (and gave him four sons!!!). Louis also went on to father sons!

Someone is bound to get picky and say that Louis and Eleanor's marriage was annulled but she certainly still had a living ex-husband, with two daughters from said marriage, when she married Henry and he succeeded to the throne of England.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks Chrissy
Old 01-21-2007, 06:50 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
She has already been mentioned in this thread - Eleanor of Acquaitaine (sp).

She was divorced from the King of France (for not giving him a son!!!) and then married Henry II of England (and gave him four sons!!!). Louis also went on to father sons!

Someone is bound to get picky and say that Louis and Eleanor's marriage was annulled but she certainly still had a living ex-husband, with two daughters from said marriage, when she married Henry and he succeeded to the throne of England.
Well I was going to be the one who got picky, chrissy. But its only fair to point out that marriages and annulments of royal marriages in the medieval ages were politicially not religiously motivated. Eleanor and Louis' marriage was annulled based on grounds of being too closely related but the pope who married them knew about their close relations and married them anyway. It made it pretty convenient for Louis and Eleanor to get an annulment when the marriage went sour and she had no male heirs.

Another thing I want to point out is that Eleanor had a awful reputation when she married Henry. There were rumours that she had had sexual relations with her uncle Raymond of Aquitaine while she went on the Holy Crusades with Louis and then there were other rumours that she had had sexual relations with Henry's father, Geoffrey of Aquitaine, which certainly made marriage to Henry a little unusual. These accusations bordered on incest.

Given this was the Middle Ages, its hard to tell how much of the gossip about her was true and how much was politically motivated by people against her marriage to Henry, but its still interesting how bad her reputation was and how little effect the same reputation had on her ability to get an annulment and ability to remarry to Henry II and become his consort.

Once they married, they really had no opposition.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
Yes she's divorced. Yes he's divorced. However they are married now. Legally, lawfully married. Why shouldn't she be able to take full advantage of that and share in his titles equally when he is crowned King? She's sharing his titles equally now, isn't she? To do anything other than what is right, which is allow her to use and be styled as Queen, is an insult to her as his legal, lawful wife. If Parliament allows this to happen, then it happens and not much can be done about it. However, that doesn't mean I'm going to think that it's the right thing to do.
I completely agree with you. If really religion and the fact that Camilla is divorced and thus could not marry in church is the reason behind her public degradation and not the fear of an public outcry, I believe it's time to rethink that position. We don't even know if Charles really is still in "communion" with the CoE, as decreed by the Act of Settlement:
" That whosoever shall hereafter come to the possession of this Crown, shall join in communion with the Church of England, as by law established".

Okay, he goes to church and is a member but there are rumours that he secretly has converted to Greek orthodox faith some time ago.

But that aside: if it's the religious background which prevents Camilla from taking her position as she is entitled to by, then this should be changed. IMHO.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

It was the The Church of England's change in position over hundreds of years with regard to divorce that put the Crown in a moral bind. Considering the irony that Henry VIII broke with Rome in order to divorce Catherine of Aragon and remarry, it is rather strange the Anglican Church later took on the same position as the Roman Church on divorce.

In law and precedent, there is nothing stopping The King from being divorced, marrying a divorcee or a Queen Consort being divorced. It is one aspect of a possible change to the monarchy to deestablish the Church from the Crown.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Nobility

It's absolutely right that there was no "Your Majesty" that early. Eleanor's form of address would probably have been quite elastic. The point though is that she used her own-right title of Duchess of Acquitaine many times, for she continued to administer the Duchy of Acquitaine, which was rich and powerful. It's an historical fact that it was a sore point in the marriage, for Henry, as her husband, claimed rights over Acquitaine and Eleanor fiercely resisted.

So it is quite wrong to say that Queens Consort cannot hold other own-right titles. There's precedent, and nothing in law to stop it. As Selrah has shown us, the present Queen does hold the title Duchess of Edinburgh, too. It was incorrect to say that the Sovereign cannot hold any other titles. The Sovereign can't hold peerage titles. The Consort is of course not the Sovereign, and Elizabeth of York was an own-right Princess and Queen Consort.

Furthermore the style and rank of Prince/ss of the UK is not in itself a peerage title, as shown earlier.

So it's perfectly fine for the Queen to be a Princess in her own right and use that title and not her married title.

But the real question is not can it be done, but WHY do it? And here's where I totally agree with everything Sister Morphine has said. There is no reason for Camilla to be "penalised" when her partner in the affair, Charles, will be wholly unaffected. As I said a few pages back, perhaps they'd like to sew a great red velvet "A" on her coronation robes?

"Princess Consort" is a ludicrous mess. But there's no reason for it not to happen. Just like Queen Eleanor, Duchess of Acquitaine, Camilla can use the title she holds in her own right should she choose. None of that changes the fact that it's an inane choice to have to make.

So there is absolutely nothing in law at all to stop
Old 01-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy
It's absolutely right that there was no "Your Majesty" that early. Eleanor's form of address would probably have been quite elastic. The point though is that she used her own-right title of Duchess of Acquitaine many times, for she continued to administer the Duchy of Acquitaine, which was rich and powerful. It's an historical fact that it was a sore point in the marriage, for Henry, as her husband, claimed rights over Acquitaine and Eleanor fiercely resisted.

So it is quite wrong to say that Queens Consort cannot hold other own-right titles. There's precedent, and nothing in law to stop it.
But Eleanor of Aquitaine was the female souverain of Acquitaine. And it's a fact that in the act of Settlement parliament took care that if it happened that the British souverain or his spouse (they always talk of "kings and queens", as at this time both king and queen were regnants together: William of Orange and Mary Stuart) should be souverain of another state, then: "That in case the Crown and imperial dignity of this Realm shall hereafter come to any person, not being a native of this Kingdom of England, this nation be not obliged to engage in any war for the defence of any dominions or territories which do not belong to the Crown of England, without the consent of Parliament;" Okay, they thought of Hanover, but still... In a commentary it said that the "imperial dignity" encompasses the souverain and his queen. That's why the Queen Consort of the UK has her own sceptres (since Charles II.'s queen Catherine of Braganza) which are the symbols of her "imperial dignity".

BTW - the Act of Settlement even says that each king and queen should have a coronation:

"and that every King and Queen of this Realm, who shall come to and succeed in the imperial Crown of this Kingdom, by virtue of this act, shall have the coronation oath administered to him, her or them, at their respective coronations, according to the act of Parliament made in the first year of the reign of His Majesty," - it's Him, Her or Them! I just found that there is an own coronation ceremony for the queen if a king is unwed on ascending the throne and marries after his coronation...

@ Frothy: am amused about your Hawthorne-citation: the scarlet letter...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Nobility

Yes, but that is to muddy the basic fact in question: can a Monarch or Consort be known as anything other than King and Queen? Can they hold any other titles?

And the answer to that is "Yes, they can." Eleanor used her title of Duchess of Aquitaine, of which, btw, she was not strictly "sovereign". For she was a feudal vassal in that capacity of her ex-husband Louis II of France. Both she and both her husbands claimed the title "Dux" as ruler of Aquitaine.

Meanwhle we see that our present Queen still holds her title as the wife of a peer, she is still the Duchess of Edinburgh.

So if we are looking at principle, it's been argued here that it's impossible for the Queen Consort to hold another title simultaneously, yet we see that she can, just as the Government has said she can, and even our Queen Regnant presently does.

Again, I totally disapprove of Princess Consort, but there's plenty of precedent for own-right titles to go alongside the married one of Queen.

Perhaps Charles could follow the Netherland example and (ask his mother to) create her Princess Camilla in her own right before the Queen actually dies?
Old 01-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
But whether she had the right to claim those possessions is not that clear. In the Middle Ages, women didn't own property or titles in their own right. Their father's possessions were offered up in dowry to their husbands and the women themselves didn't see much of anything. Eleanor's dying father gave her in marriage to Louis of France along with the Duchy of Aquitaine. At least while she was French Queen, she herself didn't possess the Aquitaine, the Crown of France did.

By the time she married Henry, her father was dead so Louis lost Aquitaine but did Eleanor herself retain the Aquitaine or did Henry take possession? I know what Eleanor claimed but that wasn't generally accepted practice in the Middle Ages. In fact the generally accepted practice could best be explained with the term that was used for the possessions that a woman kept ownership of when she married. Her own possessions were called paraphrenalia. Now the word means items of inconsequential nature and that tells you a great deal about the amount and worth of a woman's property that she kept possession of during marriage.

Its also of interest to note, that in the battle between Henry and Eleanor, Eleanor is generally considered to have lost.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Perhaps Charles could follow the Netherland example and (ask his mother to) create her Princess Camilla in her own right before the Queen actually dies?
I think this is a more plausible precedent for making Camilla a Princess rather than a Queen. I think the royal families are re-thinking the institution-all of them-and they're certainly looking at how each other does things.

If the Royal Family wants to change a precedent and it gets approved by the government, they can pretty much make Camilla's title what they want. If the sticking point is that it has to go through the Parliaments of all the Commonwealth countries, its easy enough to retract the monarch as Head of State in the Commonwealth countries.

At least in Australia, that does seem to be the trend taking place and I wouldn't be surprised if Canada followed suit one day and elected their own head of state.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-21-2007, 12:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I can see the foam forming on all die-hard Di-fans' lips when they read about "princess Camilla" or "princess Cams"... If the whole business of the "Duchess of Cornwall"-usage was to prevent comparisons to Diana as Princess of Wales then both a "The Princess Camilla of the Uk or "Camilla, The princess Consort" would wake all sleeping dogs... Stupid move, IMHO.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel

Its also of interest to note, that in the battle between Henry and Eleanor, Eleanor is generally considered to have lost.
And when Richard Lionheart was captured by Leopold of Austria, his brother John Lackland took over Acquitaine, so Eleonor couldn't get the money to pay for her older son's ransom from there, but had to raise it in the much poorer England, where she acted as regent.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Nobility

Actually, that again is inot strictly true... The Duchy of Aquitaine did not merge with the French crown, and Louis and Eleanor both styled themselves "Dux". Eleanor certainly battled with her husbands over her lands, but in 1189 she went back to Aquitaine and ruled it in her own right, setting up Assizes and doing various other things (post Queenship of England). As Duchess, she held the province with the King of France as her feudal overlord.

And what matters for the purposes of this thread was that she held and used her birthright title as "Dux" during the period she was Queen of England.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:15 PM
Nobility

Jo, well, if you ask me, "Duchess of Cornwall" is stupid and anything other than Queen is stupid. Alas, doesn't mean it won't be done.

Ysbel, remember that no change in the law is needed, according to the Government, for Camilla to be known as PC whilst Queen, so I think the question of asking the Commonwealth doesn't arise as far as UK useage goes. It would surely be up to each Commonwealth country as to what they wanted to style her. I would be very surprised if Charles stays King of Australia for very long, but that's another thread.

If she is gazetted as Princess Consort in her own right just as Albert was made Prince Consort, I can't see any problem other than your basic "Why bother, this is inane". But Camilla being known by a lower title than Charles's is also inane IMO.

Tags
accession, camilla, coronation, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, styles and titles